Metagame NP: NU Stage 8 - Spooky [Regidrago and Snorlax banned]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nobody Talks about Choice Band Drago, and Choice Banded Drago has 1 Counter, which is Diancie, which has a 4x Weakness to Steel, which are common teammates for Regidrago. Other Fairy Types get OKHO by Banded Explosion or Takes Heavy Damage from it with Stealth Rock up. It ethier OHKOs everything that is not steel and Steel Types gets 2HKO by Banded Outrage. Faster Pokemon will Get OHKO and Regidrago can survive a Attack or two from Faster Pokemon. While it is weaker then Choice Specs Dragon Energy and Draco Meteor, Unlike Choice Specs, It can boost it's Speed, and Damage is Always Consistant and does not need to be at High HP to do OHKO Other Pokemon, With Draco Meteor, Your Special Attack is Halved when you use it, which forces Regidrago to switch out But eh. I'm waiting for Regidrago to be banned.

Screenshot 2021-10-03 10.27.46 AM.png
Screenshot 2021-10-03 10.27.23 AM.png
Screenshot 2021-10-03 10.26.47 AM.png
Screenshot 2021-10-03 10.26.18 AM.png
Screenshot 2021-10-03 10.25.54 AM.png
Screenshot 2021-10-03 10.24.50 AM.png
Screenshot 2021-10-03 10.23.09 AM.png
Screenshot 2021-10-03 10.21.53 AM.png
Screenshot 2021-10-03 10.21.27 AM.png

Screenshot 2021-10-03 10.29.31 AM.png
Screenshot 2021-10-03 10.28.53 AM.png
Screenshot 2021-10-03 10.28.11 AM.png
Screenshot 2021-10-03 10.27.46 AM.png

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Corthius

diehard hockey fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Ok I finally found time to dump my opinion into this thread, be prepared to not read any hot takes.

:ss/Regidrago:
As much as I love a good breaker (love you little duck), this pokemon takes it way too far. I really appreciate skierdude101 's post and figuring out more defensive counterplay versus it but idt there really is anything we can discover that randomly makes Regidrago seem less restricting. As many others have already stated, it pretty much forces a Fairy type on your team in order to not auto lose to it. I also read a lot of people arguing for it, because you need to preserve your HP and how Dragon Energy loses a lot of BP after 1-2 turns of hazards damage, but now the friendly reminder that it can also just nuke with Draco Meteor which has consistent damage not carrying what percentage Regidrago is.
While yes, Fairy types already are very good in the metagame, being literally forced to run one puts 'Fairy types being good' on another level.

:ss/snorlax:
I really want to give Snorlax some time to see what it is capable of doing and how we respond to it. I didn't have a lot of time looking into potential checks to the two main sets I've seen getting discussed aka CurseLax and CB Lax. I'm guess, just from the damage output and coverage wise it is somewhat comparable to Tauros (Lax is a little stronger with its STAB, assuming Double-Edge, but Tauros is faster so it could hit some pokes that may live one move twice where as Lax would be too slow.
One pokemon that immediately came to my mind was Regirock as a check to both sets. With its massive physical bulk it shrugs off Snorlax' attacks with relative ease and you can set up versus CurseLax with Iron Defense yourself which should beat it 1v1.
Ofc that is only one pokemon that I haven't even tested the matchup versus Snorlax myself and idk how many actual options are there. But that is exactly why I, personally, want to give Snorlax a bit more time.

:ss/Doublade:
1633276306629.gif

I waited so long (3 months) for this pokemon to drop, Aawin is my witness.
Doublade is one of the best additions to this tier ever and it fits in perfectly in my opinion. While yes, it checks a lot of physical attacker like Tyrantrum, Toxicroak, Braviary and Passimian, it is held back a lot by the fact that it nearly can't use its typing to check special attackers because it is so frail. It has access to great offensive and defensive options in Shadow Sneak, Sacret Sword (for CurseLax), Toxic, Swords Dance and Shadow Claw to help vs IronPress Bronzong. Overall it is a good and healthy addition to the tier and I will gladly watch it becoming a NU staple.

I encourage everyone to check out Rabia 's video feat. Aawin about the drops! Have a good one.​

Last edited:

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
I think Regidrago is pretty busted. It is absurdly limiting to teambuilding and one of the least forgiving Pokemon for unprepared teams. It is obviously a limited presence with a pretty shallow movepool -- you, more or less, know what to anticipate, but that alone still warps teambuilding plenty and I struggle to see a balanced, varied metagame with it being present at this point in time.

I think Snorlax is something we should be more patient with, especially given how there are a lot of different potential types of counterplay. CB is definitely not broken and just a conventionally good, strong breaker, but Curse sets may be too much -- I am not there yet though as finding the perfect coverage move, finding enough turns, and navigating through a generally offensive metagame is still challenging for this set. I am not sold on it being broken at all right now, but I know some others feel differently who may have used it a bit more.

Regidrago 2 shotted my SpDeffy Bronzong.
This replay is also pretty funny because Block Snorlax is ridiculous lmao.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nu-1428444911-jtryh8mr27iov3wucfpqm9sh69bmbarpw
Thanks for sharing the replay. Maybe its just a matter of opinion, but I don't really find Drago to be an auto-lose 6-0 in this game against you. I'd argue your lead choice was kinda bad (leading something slower and OHKO'd by Regidrago was just asking to give a free Dragon Energy on you zong). Your Bronzong also wasn't 2hko'd LOL. Sure it claimed the zong, but that would been a fairly similar turn of events with Exploud? Zong would get 3hko'd and chip the Exploud to about half? I get the sentiment that its blowing up your resist, but you still tank with Lax and can chip with Talonflame. A painsplit rotom (although it looked like it was probably scarfed) also is able to take a big chunk out of Drago.

Ok I finally found time to dump my opinion into this thread, be prepared to not read any hot takes.

:ss/Regidrago:
As much as I love a good breaker (love you little duck), this pokemon takes it way too far. I really appreciate skierdude101 's post and figuring out more defensive counterplay versus it but idt there really is anything we can discover that randomly makes Regidrago seem less restricting. As many others have already stated, it pretty much forces a Fairy type on your team in order to not auto lose to it. I also read a lot of people arguing for it, because you need to preserve your HP and how Dragon Energy loses a lot of BP after 1-2 turns of hazards damage, but now the friendly reminder that it can also just nuke with Draco Meteor which has consistent damage not carrying what percentage Regidrago is.
While yes, Fairy types already are very good in the metagame, being literally forced to run one puts 'Fairy types being good' on another level.
I really don't agree with the sentiment that it forces a Fairy-type onto your team in order to not auto-lose to it. Sure, if you decide to not use a Fairy you have to make careful building decisions, but I have yet to see a game where Regidrago plows through a non-fairy team. Yes, I've seen the calcs, but, in practice, it hasn't worked out that way. And if you do use a Fairy, Regidrago is checked sooooo consistently, that its feels like a 5-6.

Draco still maintains the high BP for the initial hit, but the SpAtk drop really lowers its ability to break past Steels. It's still really good, but certainly not a perfect patch up to Dragon Energy's flaws. I also harp on the preservation of HP for Dragon Energy because every seems to only use that attack when making judgments about its damage output.

Again, I'm not entirely sold on this yet, if someone has replays that show Regidrago demolishing a non-Fairy team, please share it! It feels like people don't even want to try building a team without a fairy because of Regidrago because its so simple to put Diancie/Sylveon on your team. But this is really hindering our ability to judge whether or not it really is actually forcing fairy types.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
The SS NU tiering council voted on both Snorlax and Regidrago upon their dropping in to the metagame. The results are as follows:

Snorlax and Regidrago are banned from SS NU!

Snorlax did not quite receive unanimous support and we are likely to conduct a re-test on it at some point in the near future. The Choice Band and Curse sets are likely what pushed it over for the time being, however. Curse sets in particular made it challenging to take out thanks to already mammoth special bulk and very few weakness. The Choice Band sets are strong, too, threatening to do large amounts of damage while maintaining a respectable defensive presence. Overall, we believed the counterplay was too limited for the time being, but we may circle back in the future.

Regidrago was unanimous. As many posters above stated, Regidrago was far too restricting and powerful of an offensive presence. Only Fairy types could truly check it and warping teambuilding and the game itself to that extent is absolutely unacceptable. While we will continue to keep an eye on Regidrago, like other NUBL Pokemon, this was a clear-cut decision and we believe Regidrago was a broken presence in the metagame.

Kris Marty please ban Snorlax and Regidrago from SS NU.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would like to bring to everyone’s attention that bronzong diancie and rotom mow all got RU usage in September. What are we gonna do if those go? Those are three very important mons to this tier

Reactions: Oqo
Would like to bring to everyone’s attention that bronzong diancie and rotom mow all got RU usage in September. What are we gonna do if those go? Those are three very important mons to this tier
They likely won’t get enough usage for to move up in the small shifts, if they do get enough to move up during the big shift in January, we’ll deal with it then. It would be a definitely be a big shift in the meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)