OU Necrozma

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Necrozma aka is it supposed to be fucking impossible to make a good moveset with it

QC: TDK, p2, Hootie
GP: The Dutch Plumberjack

[OVERVIEW]

* Necrozma boasts solid stats across the board save for an average Speed stat.
* It has access to arbitrary but handy status moves such as Stealth Rock, Thunder Wave, and Morning Sun.
* Great bulk, access to recovery, and ability in Prism Armor allow Necrozma to stand up fairly well against multiple attacks while active.
* Its Calm Mind set is a dominant threat towards offensively oriented teams as unboosted attackers and even boosting sweepers often cannot keep up with Necrozma's defense boosts.
* Necrozma has an extremely limited offensive movepool, with coverage attacks basically consisting only of Flash Cannon, Dark Pulse, Hidden Power, and Earthquake.
* It unfortunately cannot access Hidden Power Fighting to combat Steel- and Dark-types due to it being guaranteed three perfect IVs.
* Mono-Psychic typing is generally below average in attacking and defending.
* It has no good way to cover Dark-types.
* It is greatly reliant on matchups and team support for success.
* Any other role Necrozma may consider is likely done better by Mew and Clefable, which have more reliable recovery, similar or better movepools, and/or better typing.

[SET]
name: Stored Power
move 1: Calm Mind
move 2: Morning Sun
move 3: Stored Power
move 4: Iron Defense
item: Leftovers
ability: Prism Armor
nature: Bold
evs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

Moves
========

* Calm Mind boosts Necrozma's Special Attack and Special Defense to the point where it is nearly unpenetrable with special attacks after two or more boosts.
* Morning Sun is the only form of reliable recovery Necrozma has, patching it up when it's below half health. However, it has low PP and becomes ineffective in sandstorm and rain.
* Stored Power hits extremely hard after two Calm Mind boosts and blows past most Psychic-resistant Pokemon, special walls, and opposing Calm Mind sweepers after more.
* Iron Defense doubles Necrozma's Defense in a pinch and contributes to Stored Power's Base Power, making attempts to break it physically extremely difficult. Iron Defense also allows Necrozma to set up safely against opposing Dragon Dance or Swords Dance users.
* Substitute blocks status (Toxic in particular) and allows Necrozma to anticipate attempts at Trick or other deadly attacks.
* Hidden Power Bug is Necrozma's only possible Hidden Power that hits Dark-types super effectively, but it otherwise offers subpar coverage and utility compared to Iron Defense.

Set Details
========

* A Bold nature with maximum HP and significant investment in Defense optimizes Necrozma's physical bulk so it sets up easily while patching up its Special Defense with Calm Mind.
* Investing 112 EVs in Speed allows Necrozma to outrun everything below uninvested base 90 Speed Pokemon, including defensive Landorus-T, Jolly maximum Speed Azumarill and Alolan Marowak, and especially Taunt Tapu Fini.
* As Necrozma can easily boost its Defense with Iron Defense faster than its Special Defense with Calm Mind, it can opt to run a specially defensive spread with a Calm nature to cover its initially lower Special Defense.
* Leftovers neutralizes burn damage and gives Necrozma passive recovery while setting up.
* Alternatively, a Lum Berry can heal status such as Toxic poison and sleep once, giving Necrozma time to set up one more boost or KO status users.

Usage Tips
========

* Necrozma should generally be used as a late-game sweeper after its teammates have greatly weakened or eliminated its checks and counters.
* It is incredibly easy to set up with either Calm Mind or Iron Defense, as most threats cannot keep up or break through, even with their own setup moves.
* Attempt to stay away from Toxic at all costs, as it is one of three surefire ways of ending Necrozma prematurely.
* Do not set up if Dark-types are present. However, if they are damaged passively through burn, poison, or Life Orb recoil, Necrozma can stall these threats out until they faint by boosting its defenses.
* If faced against a team that relies on multiple status users, it may be beneficial to purposely get burned instead of Toxic poisoned. The former deals less damage per turn and is neutralized by Leftovers, while the latter will take Necrozma down in a few turns thanks to increasing damage.

Team Options
========

* Necrozma needs a Dark-type elimination squad or it is dead weight, period.
* Dugtrio can eliminate most Dark-types and other counters by using its Reversal set, getting rid of even faster Dark-types such as Weavile and Ash-Greninja if its Focus Sash is intact. Dugtrio also has access to Memento and Toxic, the former of which lets Necrozma and other sweepers set up easily, while the latter poisons Dark-types it cannot KO in a pinch.
* Toxic Spikes support helps Necrozma stall out grounded threats (especially special walls and Dark-types) while boosting and recovering. Nihilego and Toxapex are good users of the move.
* In the same vein, running Toxic on some teammates can let them cripple several of Necrozma's would-be checks and counters, allowing it to stall them out while boosting.
* Fairy-types such as Tapu Bulu, Tapu Fini, Tapu Koko, and Tapu Lele do well against typical Dark-types while applying pressure on many other threats.
* Powerful wallbreakers such as Kyurem-B, Kartana, Mega Charizard X, and Hoopa-U can do heavy damage and leave Necrozma to pick up the pieces.
* Fighting-types such as Terrakion, Keldeo, and Pheromosa put intense pressure on Steel- and Dark-types while posing a great threat against other foes thanks to their coverage and power.
* Scolipede is a notable teammate, as it can pass Speed boosts, further adding to Stored Power's Base Power and making Necrozma a faster threat. However, it makes the team doubly matchup reliant, as this combination cannot handle phazing or Haze effectively.
* Teammates should also prioritize defeating common Toxic users such as Chansey and Heatran; the aforementioned wallbreakers do well in this regard.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

* An offensive set with Stealth Rock, coverage attacks such as Dark Pulse, and significant Special Attack investment allows Necrozma to be a hard-hitting threat. However, this set is otherwise unexceptional compared to those of other offensive Psychic-types.
* A defensive Stealth Rock tank set is decent, as Necrozma's physical bulk is very good, and allows it to check foes and be generally useful after setting up the entry hazard. However, it suffers from limited coverage and passivity.
* Earthquake and Brick Break hits troublesome targets such as Heatran, Bisharp, and Tyranitar but have no other use and waste a moveslot.
* A Trick Room support set is an option to capitalize on Necrozma's average Speed and access to Trick Room and Stealth Rock, as well as nice defenses and Special Attack.
* Psyshock can be used over Stored Power for its higher Base Power before Calm Mind boosts, allowing Necrozma to switch in and check foes in a pinch and not be ineffective without boosts.
* Hidden Power Fire provides good coverage against defensive threats such as Scizor, Ferrothorn, and Skarmory, giving it a decent matchup against leads on Stealth Rock sets.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Dark-types**: As Necrozma relies nearly exclusively on Psychic-type attacks to deal damage, any Dark-type is a full-on stop, as they are immune to Psychic-types attacks and deal super effective STAB damage. Mega Sableye is a particularly persistent annoyance that often stays around thanks to its good typing, bulk, recovery, access to Magic Bounce (thus voiding attempts to use Toxic on it), and immunity to trapping.

**Toxic**: If Necrozma has not gathered enough boosts to sweep the remaining opposition and is afflicted with Toxic poison, it will go down soon, as it has no way of healing itself from it. Chansey, Toxapex, Quagsire, and Hippowdon are common users of the move.

**Strong Special Attackers**: As Necrozma's Special Defense is often scarcely invested, exceptionally strong special attackers can take advantage of this weakness if Necrozma has not set up many Calm Mind boosts beforehand. Tapu Koko, Mega Charizard Y, Choice Specs Pheromosa, and Choice Specs Tapu Lele are common examples of these types of threats. Additionally, Manaphy can outboost Necrozma with Tail Glow and halve the healing of Morning Sun with Rain Dance.

**Select Steel-types**: Steel-types are very rarely a problem, as many of them lack the tools to take down Necrozma quickly and are set up on very easily. However, Mega Metagross can be a nuisance, as it sports a quadruple resistance to Stored Power and can fish for critical hits or an Attack boost by spamming Meteor Mash. Heatran commonly packs Magma Storm, Toxic, and Taunt, allowing it to wear down and limit a Necrozma without many boosts easily.

**Volatile Status and Trick**: Taunt, Encore, and being Tricked a Choice item are huge roadblocks to Necrozma's setup as faster users of said moves can lock it into an unfavorable move and prevent it from setting up. Tapu Fini and Heatran are notable users of Taunt. Very few relevant threats outside of the rare Choice Specs Latios, Choice Scarf Jirachi, Mega Alakazam, and Alolan Ninetales use the latter two moves.

**Stat-resetting Moves**: As Necrozma is sometimes reliant on accumulating stat boosts to clean up, users of Haze and Clear Smog may present a small problem if Necrozma cannot KO them in time. However, no notable users of these moves outside of Toxapex, Amoonguss, Tapu Fini, and Mantine exist, and the former two are hit super effectively and risk being KOed by boosted and unboosted STAB Psychic-type attacks. Additionally, Tapu Fini lacks recovery and vastly prefers using other moves, while Mantine takes considerable damage from a strongly boosted Stored Power. While phazing is an option, it is merely prolonging the inevitable, as Necrozma has a very safe setup and typically only sweeps late-game.

Last edited:

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
Do you uhh, have some replays of using this set? I really can't imagine it being better than the bulky rocks setter. Non-BP based Stored Power sets are uh.... well, historically not typically good. On the other hand, something that can deal a decent chunk of damage, put up rocks and hit twave has historically been a pretty decent formula in Pokemon. Unless I'm REALLY missing something and you've got some convincing replays you'd like to share, I don't think the set you have listed should be on the analysis outside of OO, especially not over a Rocks/TWave/Psychic/Moonlight, which at least in my experience has been passable even if not remarkable. I just don't see how Stored Power isn't anything more than a "new toy syndrome" type of set that we really shouldn't be putting on a serious analysis.

If you've got good replays to prove me wrong, please do, but otherwise the rocks set should be the first (and likely only) set on the analysis IMO.

On the Rocks set, I think SpDef is better than Def for investment, since with Tapu Koko and Lele running around you want to be able to take at least a few hits (with SpDef, you don't get 2HKO'd by LO Thunderbolt for example).

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
Pretty skeptical of mono-psychic attacking. Cant we put HP bug or something in the last slot so it isnt complete Hoopa/Tyranitar bait or something. Also yeah SR / Twave / Moonlight / Psychic seems like a fairly useable set that can probably wall some Psychic and Fighting types.

Any Stealth rock set is outclassed by Mew. Prism Armor isn't enough to make up for Mew's greater bulk, higher speed, and excellent movepool. This thing's only niche is in Stored Power.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
Any Stealth rock set is outclassed by Mew. Prism Armor isn't enough to make up for Mew's greater bulk, higher speed, and excellent movepool. This thing's only niche is in Stored Power.
It's not totally outclassed. Psychic hits a lot harder, and in any comparable spread Necrozma is taking less damage from Super Effective hits.

Some good example calcs I could find, using SpD because I'm guessing it's the better spread:
0 SpA Mew Psychic vs. 248 HP / 144 SpD Venusaur-Mega: 150-176 (41.3 - 48.4%)
0 SpA Necrozma Psychic vs. 248 HP / 144 SpD Venusaur-Mega: 182-216 (50.1 - 59.5%)

0 SpA Mew Psychic vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Keldeo: 212-252 (65.6 - 78%)
0 SpA Necrozma Psychic vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Keldeo: 260-308 (80.4 - 95.3%)

+1 252 Atk Genesect U-turn vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mew: 324-384 (80.1 - 95%)
+1 252 Atk Genesect U-turn vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Prism Armor Necrozma: 240-283 (60.4 - 71.2%)

44 Atk Scizor-Mega U-turn vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mew: 222-264 (54.9 - 65.3%)
44 Atk Scizor-Mega U-turn vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Prism Armor Necrozma: 163-195 (41 - 49.1%)

252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Lele Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 224+ SpD Mew: 192-228 (47.5 - 56.4%)
252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Lele Shadow Ball vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Prism Armor Necrozma: 153-180 (38.5 - 45.3%)

252+ Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Shadow Bone vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Prism Armor Necrozma: 324-382 (81.6 - 96.2%)
0 SpA Necrozma Psychic vs. 120 HP / 4 SpD Marowak-Alola: 144-169 (49.4 - 58%)
252+ Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Shadow Bone vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mew: 440-518 (108.9 - 128.2%)
0 SpA Mew Psychic vs. 120 HP / 4 SpD Marowak-Alola: 117-138 (40.2 - 47.4%)

There's a difference between mediocre and outclassed. Necrozma gets a couple KOs Mew can't, and tanks Super effective hits substantially better, especially on the physical side. You're not outclassed by Mew, and this set is substantially more relevant than a gimmicky Stored Power set (again, unless some good replays show me otherwise).

kumiko

formerly TDK
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
is bulky SR Necrozma really worth running? Sure it offers defensive synergy but it really is just a do-nothing 'mon that is incredibly easy to wall or capitalize off of. I haven't really tried it so not going to say anything about removing it but personally I don't think I'd find myself using this. I suppose it does annoy some offensive teams however.

I think the CM set is the only thing Necrozma has to give it a notable niche. I've seen it work well and be quite annoying. I wouldn't mention ChestoResto at all. Would slash HP Bug with Iron Defense, mention Brick Break in Move Details and also mention Weakness Policy in Set Details.

I probably would just remove everything from OO outside of an offensive Rocks set mentioning stuff like Dark Pulse.

1/3

p2

Banned deucer.
this mon is pure ass but you should mention scolipede as a speed passer for the stored power set

i also dont have any opinion on sr necrozma

2/3

p2

Banned deucer.
ive been playing around with it a little tonight and jesus christ the stored power set is pretty brutal even without dedicated bp support, especially if your opp lets their darks get weakened, i would move it up to the first set honestly because i think sr necro is pretty bad in comparison at least

I agree with TDK that Stealth Rock isn't worth a set. It's just one of those do-nothing mons and Stored Power Iron Defense is actually a niche unique to it.

3/3

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
Psychic should be replaced with prismatic lasers.
With that spread, no. As with all "recharge" moves, it gives the opponent a free turn to do as they wish, and on a utility mon trying to spread status or set rocks, that's just a bad idea.

(If it was a Z-nuke that'd be different)

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
* Necrozma has direct competition with the likes of Mew and Clefable who have more reliable recovery, similar or better movepools, and/or better typing.
I'm confused by the Mew mention since it doesn't have Stored Power, nor does it run boosting sets. Even if Necro and Mew are both bulky Psychics, Mew functions completely differently and I'd remove stating it as competition.

this is qc 3/3, but i feel like there are some things that can still be fixed. i brought this thing on the ladder as always, and i was pretty surprised how well this thing can perform even without baton pass. that said, i would like you implement some obvious things:

- in the overview, i would remove the last bullet point as necrozma's niche is stored power and there is no pokemon in the tier better at stored power than necrozma (m-latias is unreleased).
- i would remove the hidden power [bug] and substitute slashes. iron defense is mandatory and deserves a lone slot. you need the move in order to boost alongside other boosters such as garchomp, salamence, kartana, landorus-t, and you also need it since even with maximum defense, necrozma does not have enough morning sun pp to beat things such as metagross. iron defense is also mandatory because it allows you to stall out hoopa-u's hyperspace fury for example, while contributing to stored power's pp. hidden power [bug] really only hits greninja and hoopa-u, the latter which is stalled out and the former which will lose if its life orb anyways. hidden power [bug] does not hit other dark-types hard enough. substitute is in the same boat since heatran can just taunt you and chansey breaks your substitute causing morning sun pp to be your downfall. iron defense as the lone slash and remove all mentions of brick break, psyshock, hp fire, and stuff in the moves section while you are at it. iron defense + calm mind is like the reason why this thing can carve its interesting niche.
- i do not like the ev spread because it is slower than tapu fini which is an important benchmark you should hit in my opinion. with 248 hp / 148 def / 112 spe as the main spread, you can now accumulate a calm mind and an iron defense (100bp stored power at ~440 special attack) before it taunts you meaning you can then beat it 1v1. it's an important benchmark.
- in usage tips, say you can try to get necrozma burned instead of toxic'd, allowing it now beat chansey, zygarde, mantine, toxapex, and quagsire(...) 1v1.
- i would make note of specific toxic spikes users such as nihilego, dragalge (surprised it isn't getting an analysis), and toxapex.
- z-prismatic laser for trick room teams is a fun gimmick and i would mention it.

^^^ this is all for non-baton pass teams, aka not p2.

Tory

Banned deucer.
Psychic should be replaced with prismatic lasers.
I use Necrozma@Psychium Z and pair it with Choice Scarf@Tapu Lele, you won't believe how much damage it does. When I have a chance to run the Psychic Terrain, I throw in Necrozma to use Rock Polish. Then Psychium Z + Shattered Psyche = 300 BP in Psychic Terrain. This is my most successful moveset yet:

Necrozma @ Psychium Z
Ability: Prism Armor
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Shattered Psyche
- Dark Pulse
- Power Gem
- Rock Polish

Also, In the Psychic Terrain, you don't take speed priory hits like Aqua Jet Azumarill, Bruxish, Feraligatr. Bullet Punch Medicham-Mega, Metagross-Mega, Scizor-Mega. Ice Shard Abomasnow-Mega, Donphan, Glalie-Mega, Mamoswine, Weavile. Quick Attack Diggersby, Lopunny-Mega, Pinsir-Mega, Staraptor. Vacuum Wave Lucario. I can show you replays later this week if you want me to.
With that spread, no. As with all "recharge" moves, it gives the opponent a free turn to do as they wish, and on a utility mon trying to spread status or set rocks, that's just a bad idea.

(If it was a Z-nuke that'd be different)
Actually, a Z-nuke is were its at. When Necrozma HP is low, that's when I use Prismatic Laser while I have my speed boost from Rock Polish. (I usually knocked out a Pokemon, next I get knocked out :)) Later, I can still use my other psychic tank, Tapu Lele.

Tapu Lele can also OHKO a lvl3 Pidgey with Hidden Power Steel, does that mean that you should use HP Steel on Tapu Lele? Please find a valid argument for making suggestions like this...
What? That has got to be the worst comparison I have ever heard in the metagame. How is your message relates to this?
- z-prismatic laser for trick room teams is a fun gimmick and i would mention it.
Yes, that is a good alternative. Honestly, I recommend Rock Polish for the primary resource.
* Please don't actually use Primatic Laser.
Well, with the start of the Z crystal, and later, a quick Primatic Laser from 2+ speed in Psychic Terrain, victory belongs to me. ;)

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
I use Necrozma@Psychium Z and pair it with Choice Scarf@Tapu Lele, you won't believe how much damage it does. When I have a chance to run the Psychic Terrain, I throw in Necrozma to use Rock Polish. Then Psychium Z + Shattered Psyche = 300 BP in Psychic Terrain. This is my most successful moveset yet:

Necrozma @ Psychium Z
Ability: Prism Armor
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Shattered Psyche
- Dark Pulse
- Power Gem
- Rock Polish

Also, In the Psychic Terrain, you don't take speed priory hits like Aqua Jet Azumarill, Bruxish, Feraligatr. Bullet Punch Medicham-Mega, Metagross-Mega, Scizor-Mega. Ice Shard Abomasnow-Mega, Donphan, Glalie-Mega, Mamoswine, Weavile. Quick Attack Diggersby, Lopunny-Mega, Pinsir-Mega, Staraptor. Vacuum Wave Lucario. I can show you replays later this week if you want me to.

Actually, a Z-nuke is were its at. When Necrozma HP is low, that's when I use Prismatic Laser while I have my speed boost from Rock Polish. (I usually knocked out a Pokemon, next I get knocked out :)) Later, I can still use my other psychic tank, Tapu Lele.

What? That has got to be the worst comparison I have ever heard in the metagame. How is your message relates to this?

Yes, that is a good alternative. Honestly, I recommend Rock Polish for the primary resource.

Well, with the start of the Z crystal, and later, a quick Primatic Laser from 2+ speed in Psychic Terrain, victory belongs to me. ;)
Well, to start, Tapu Lele is most certainly not a tank. But to address your point, while this is a novel concept, there's other Pokémon that can better utilize Z-moves to punch holes. Z-Freeze Shock Kyurem comes to mind immediately, having much more power than Necrozma. Additionally, Z-fly mence can use Z-moves well to KO and then obtain a Moxie boost, and Heatran can use Bloom Doom to lure and KO Ground and water types. This set is also walled by dark and steel types, and necrozma greatly appreciates the defensive benefits from leftovers.

Well let's look at the pros and cons of Prismatic Laser.

Cons:
  • Forces the use of Necrozma in an offensive role it is outclassed in
  • Occupies a moveslot for a move that is useless without the Z-move
  • Necrozma is still an easy switch-in for Dark types, and if you use your Z-move on one it's wasted
  • A more consistent Psychic move is generally more useful over the course of a match, and doesn't eat up an item slot

Pros:
  • it can ohko

Yeah. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Ready for Jee Pee Checks

And wow I realized I literally did this analysis through chat and never once said a word here

Is this for real?
This was an exageration, every Pokémon can OHKO something, just saying "It OHKOes" is not a valid argument, however, if you say something like "Z-Prismatic Laser Necrozma is a nuke because it can lure X, Y and Z Pokémon, which are extremely common in the current metagame..." Then that a valid argument imao, just saying "It can OHKO" without any example or explication is not an argument :)

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader

remove
add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 1/1
[OVERVIEW]

* Necrozma boasts solid stats across the board save for an average Speed stat.
* It has access to arbitrary but handy status moves such as Stealth Rock, Thunder Wave, and Morning Sun.
* Great bulk, access to recovery, and ability in Prism Armor allow Necrozma to stand up fairly well against multiple attacks while active.
* Its Calm Mind set is a dominant threat towards offensively oriented teams as unboosted attackers and even boosting sweepers often cannot keep up with Necrozma's defense boosts. (probably should be the first bullet)
* Necrozma has an extremely limited offensive movepool, with coverage attacks basically consisting only of Flash Cannon, Dark Pulse, Hidden Power, and Earthquake.
* It unfortunately cannot access Hidden Power Fighting to combat Steel- and Dark-types due to it being guaranteed 3 three perfect IVs.
* Mono-Psychic typing is generally below average in attacking and defending.
* It has no good way to address cover Dark-types.
* It is greatly reliant on matchups and team support for success.
* Any other role Necrozma may consider is likely done better by Mew and Clefable, who which have more reliable recovery, similar or better movepools, and/or better typing.

[SET]
name: Stored Power
move 1: Calm Mind
move 2: Morning Sun
move 3: Stored Power
move 4: Iron Defense
item: Leftovers
ability: Prism Armor
nature: Bold
evs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

Moves
========

* Calm Mind boosts Necrozma's Special Attack and Special Defense to the point where it is nearly unpenetrable on the special side with special attacks after two or more boosts.
* Morning Sun is the only form of reliable recovery Necrozma has, patching it up when it's below half health. However, it has low PP and becomes ineffective in sandstorm and rain.
* Stored Power hits extremely hard after two Calm Mind boosts and blows past most Psychic-resistant Pokemon, special walls, and opposing Calm Mind sweepers after more.
* Iron Defense doubles Necrozma's Defense in a pinch and contributes to Stored Power's Base Power, making attempts to break it physically extremely difficult. Iron Defense also allows Necrozma to set up safely against opposing Dragon Dance or Swords Dance users.
* Substitute blocks status (Toxic in particular) and allows Necrozma to anticipate attempts at Trick or other deadly attacks.
* Hidden Power Bug is Necrozma's only possible Hidden Power that hits Dark-types super effectively, but otherwise it offers subpar coverage and utility compared to Iron Defense.

Set Details
========

* A Bold nature with maximum HP and significant investment in Defense optimizes Necrozma's physical bulk so it sets up easily while patching up its Special Defense with Calm Mind.
* Investing 112 EVs in Speed allows Necrozma to outrun everything below uninvested base 90 Speed Pokemon, including defensive Landorus-T, Jolly maximum Speed Azumarill and Alolan (I think?) Marowak, and especially Taunt Tapu Fini.
* As Necrozma can easily double boost its Defense with Iron Defense faster than its Special Defense with Calm Mind, it can opt to run a specially defensive spread with a Calm nature to cover its initially lower Special Defense.
* Leftovers neutralizes burn damage and gives Necrozma passive recovery while setting up.
* Alternatively, (AC) a Lum Berry can heal status such as Toxic poison and sleep once, giving Necrozma time to set up one more boost or KO status users.

Usage Tips
========

* Necrozma should generally be used as a late-game sweeper after its teammates have greatly weakened or eliminated its checks and counters.
* It is incredibly easy to set up with either Calm Mind or Iron Defense, (AC) as most threats cannot keep up or break through, even with their own setup moves.
* Attempt to stay away from Toxic at all costs, (AC) as it is one of three surefire ways of ending Necrozma prematurely.
* Do not set up if Dark-types are present. However, if they are damaged passively through burn, poison, or Life Orb recoil, Necrozma can stall these threats out until they faint by boosting its defenses.
* If faced against a team that relies on multiple status users, it may be beneficial to purposely get burned instead of Toxic poisoned. The former deals less damage per turn (RC) and is neutralized by Leftovers, while the latter will take it Necrozma down in a few turns thanks to increasing damage.

Team Options
========

* Necrozma needs a Dark-type elimination squad or it is dead weight, period.
* Dugtrio can eliminate most Dark-types and other counters by using its Reversal set, gettingg ridding of even faster Dark-types such as Weavile and Ash-Greninja if its Focus Sash is intact. Dugtrio also has access to Memento and Toxic, the former of which lets Necrozma and other sweepers set up easily, while the latter poisons Dark-types it cannot KO in a pinch.
* Toxic Spikes support helps Necrozma stall out grounded threats (especially special walls and Dark-types) while boosting and recovering. Nihilego and Toxapex are good users of the move.
* In the same vein, running Toxic on some teammates can let them (avoids incorrect usage of lure) lure out and cripple several of Necrozma's would-be checks and counters, allowing it to stall them out while boosting.
* Fairy-types such as Tapu Bulu, Tapu Fini, Tapu Koko, and Tapu Lele do well against typical Dark-types while applying pressure on many other threats.
* Powerful wallbreakers such as Kyurem-B, Kartana, Mega Charizard X, and Hoopa-U can do heavy damage and leave Necrozma to pick up the pieces.
* Fighting-types such as Terrakion, Keldeo, and Pheromosa put intense pressure on Steel- and Dark-types while posing a great threat against other foes thanks to their coverage and power.
* Scolipede is a notable teammate, (AC) as it can pass Speed boosts, further adding to Stored Power's Base Power and making Necrozma a faster threat. However, it makes the team doubly matchup reliant, (AC) as this combination cannot handle phazing or Haze effectively.
* Teammates should also prioritize defeating common Toxic users such as Chansey and Heatran; the aforementioned wallbreakers do well in this regard.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

* An offensive set with Stealth Rock, coverage attacks such as Dark Pulse, and significant Special Attack investment allows Necrozma to be a hard-hitting (AH) threat. However, this set is otherwise unexceptional compared to those of other offensive Psychic-types.
* A defensive Stealth Rock tank set is decent, (AC) as Necrozma's physical bulk is very good, (AC) and allows it to check foes and be generally useful after setting up the entry hazard. However, it suffers from limited coverage and passivity.
* Earthquake and Brick Break hits troublesome targets such as Heatran, Bisharp, and Tyranitar but has have no other use and wastes a moveslot.
* A Trick Room support set is an option to capitalize on Necrozma's average Speed but and access to Trick Room and Stealth Rock, as well as its nice defenses and Special Attack.
* Psyshock can be used over Stored Power for its higher Base Power before Calm Mind boosts, allowing Necrozma to check foes in a pinch and not be ineffective without boosts.
* Hidden Power Fire provides good coverage against defensive threats such as Scizor, Ferrothorn, and Skarmory, giving it a decent matchup against leads on Stealth Rock sets.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Dark-types**: As Necrozma relies nearly exclusively on Psychic-type attacks to deal damage, any Dark-type is a full-on stop, (AC) as they are immune to Psychic-types attacks and deal super effective STAB damage. Mega Sableye is a particularly persistent annoyance that often stays around thanks to its good typing, bulk, recovery, access to Magic Bounce (thus voiding attempts to use Toxic on it), and immunity to trapping.

**Toxic**: If Necrozma has not gathered enough boosts to sweep the remaining opposition and is afflicted with Toxic poison, it will go down soon, (AC) as it has no way of healing itself from it. Chansey, Toxapex, Quagsire, and Hippowdon are common users of the move.

**Strong Special Attackers**: As Necrozma's Special Defense is often scarcely invested, exceptionally strong special attackers can take advantage of this weakness if Necrozma has not set up many Calm Mind boosts beforehand. Tapu Koko, Mega Charizard Y, Choice Specs Pheromosa, and Choice Specs Tapu Lele are common examples of these types of threats. Additionally, Manaphy can outboost Necrozma with Tail Glow and halve the healing of Morning Sun with Rain Dance.

**Select Steel-types**: Steel-types are normally not a problem, (AC) as many of them lack the tools to take down Necrozma quickly and are set up on very easily. However, Mega Metagross can be a nuisance, (AC) as it sports a quadruple resistance to Stored Power and can fish for critical hits or an Attack boost by spamming Meteor Mash. Heatran commonly packs Magma Storm, Toxic, and Taunt, allowing it to wear down and limit a Necrozma without many boosts easily.

**Volatile Status and Being Tricked a Choice Item**: Taunt, Encore, and being Tricked a Choice item are huge roadblocks in to Necrozma's setup, (AC) as faster users of said moves can lock it into an unfavorable move and prevent it from setting up. Tapu Fini and Heatran are notable users of the Taunt. Very few relevant threats outside of the rare Choice Specs Latios, Choice Specs Jirachi, Mega Alakazam, and Alolan Ninetales use the latter two moves.

**Stat-resetting Moves**: As Necrozma is sometimes reliant on accumulating stat boosts to clean up, users of Haze and Clear Smog may present a small problem if Necrozma cannot KO them in time. However, no notable users of these moves outside of Toxapex, Amoonguss, Tapu Fini, and Mantine exist, and the former two are hit super effectively and risk being KOed by boosted and unboosted STAB Psychic-type attacks. Additionally, Tapu Fini lacks recovery and vastly prefers using other moves, while Mantine takes considerable damage from a strongly boosted Stored Power. While phazing is an option, it is merely prolonging the inevitable, (AC) as Necrozma has a very safe setup and typically only sweeps late-game.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)