My first stall team

As the title suggests this is my first stall team, almost all my teams in the past were bulky offence where I do the best in. I still haven't learned how to use stall completely and my first battle with it I got 6-0ed. But the past few battles I have been doing better.

The team

Hippowdon-leftovers
move 1-sr
move 2-eq
move 3-roar
move 4-slack off
nature-impish
252 hp 168 def 88 spD

This set is off from Smogon so I don't need to discuss the mover or evs. First off this is not a sandstorm there is only one rock type and ground type but thats it. I used a hippowdon lead because it can set up sr and come back in later to wall/stall but unlike Swampert has a higher defence stat and a reliable recovery move. Also the sandstorm helps for a poke I'm using. I didn't use Tyranitar because of the ton of weaknesses it has and sort of screws up the synergy on my team. I'm thinking of replacing roar with someathing else like stone edge to deal with bulky DDdos which is a minor threat to this team if it gets two DDs set up. I don't need ice fang because I can just roar out Dragonite and taunt swords dance Gliscor is very rare(haven't seen any). Thank god mixmence is gone.

celebi-leftovers
move 1-grass knot
move 2-leech seed
move 3-hp ice/fire?
move 4-recover
nature-bold
252 hp 88 spe 220 def

Suggested by moussrfacekilla(sorry if I spelled that wrong). Celebi offers more team support then Forry who ended up being a dead weight on my team later into the game. Leech seed support really helps my team, especially Tentacruel. Earth power turned out less useful than I thought and Breloom became more of a problem so I decided to replace it with one of the hidden powers. Right now it has hp ice to OHKO Dragonite while fire punch is only a 2HKO maximum damage 3HKO minimum with one Dragon Dance. Hp fire could also be used against Scizor because no one sees that coming but Skarmory dosen't mind repeated u-turns.

Tentacruel-black sludge
move 1-tspikes
move 2-surf
move3-sludge bomb
move 4-rapid spin
nature-calm
evs 252 hp 252 spD 4 def
ability-liquid ooze

Tentacruel is for setting up tpikes and fits in better to my team then Roserade who is less bulky. I used max spD because I have so many physical walls on this team it's ridiculous and this way I have 3 physical walls, 2 special walls and 1 semi special wall. Unfortunately I had to get rid of knock off when Forry left the team and replace it with rapid spin. Tentacruel is my only answer to Mix ape now that Aero is gone. So I usually save this Tentacruel until I see an Infernape then ko it with surf. So Tentacruel is even more important on my team and serves more than just setting up entry hazards.

rotomh-leftovers
move1-tbolt
move 2-shadow ball
move 3-overheat
move 4-pain split(might chande to will-o-wisp
nature-bold
252 hp 168 def 88 spe

Rotom is my spin blocker and for good reason. Rotom-h is the best spinblocker in the game except uber and can really annoy things trying to spin. I chose pain split over will o wisp because Dragonite and Gyrados aren't that bad of problems and metagross isn't one at all because of my amazing phyical walls. Pain split is also good for blissey switch ins because flamethrower does little damage and I can just pain split to regain health while blissey's hp goes down while slowly being chipped away by toxic. Rest might be a good idea because I have a cleric which can just heal bell(guess who it is). I might use Dusknoir becuase Dusknoir dosen't die to pursuit and can pick off weakened things that are faster with shadow sneak like infernape.

Blissey-leftovers
move1-wish
move2-protect
move3-heal bell
move 4-seismic toss
nature-bold
evs 252 hp 252 def
nature-natural cure

Blissey is probably the glue of this team providing pokes on my team that don't have a reliable healing move with wish and curing status with heal bell. I took off Toxic because it wasn't as useful with tspikes on the field. Also I could include protect to scout for what a choiced poke would lock itself into or ocassionly dodge an explosion. While keeping a reliable form of damage to not be shut down by taunt. Blissey can also deal with non explosion variants of subtran with seismic toss and heal bell. There is no other special wall that can do this that's why Blissey is still the #1 special wall even though everyone despises it(notice I'm using it not her).

Skarmory-leftovers
move 1-Drill Peck
move 2-roost
move 3- spikes
move 4-whirlwind
nature-impish
evs 252 spD 252 hp 6 def
Ability-keen eye

Once again suggested by moussrfacekilla, Skarmory replaces Forry's job of setting up spikes. Unlike Forry, Skarmory completes the skarmbliss combo which is so hard to take down, has a reliable recovery move and also can phaze. Also the fact that I have something to counter mixape this combo nearly becomes unstoppable. I chose specially defensive Skarmory because I already have Hippowdon as a physical wall. Also because I can just phaze Suicunes away with whirlwind, which were a problem before. Skarmory can also sort of break up apposing stall by moving the opponents team aroung while each of their pokes gets slowly taken down by all the entry hazards(ironically that's how I lost once to a taunt spiker).

Conclusion
so thats my first stall team, please keep that in mind when your rating because I'm still not used to it after 10 battles. If you care the win percentage was 50%, which I don't think is good compared to the 75% with my bulky offence team. The only reason I'm using this team is to try out something new so becuase I got bored of my old strategies. The synergy is close to being perfect with only a little water weakness(Suicune).

edit-this team has no more problem with water but problems with mixape and sub punch Gengar

I don't have too much time for a long rate (I might try later), but just a few things from a stall user:

1- replace aerodactyl with skarmory with: whirlwind, brave bird, spikes, and roost. This will give you good hazing and your layer of spikes.
2- I'd replace forretress with either a defensive celebi set or a defensive starmie (for your rapid spinning) This will also give you another fighting resist and an additional toxic spike absorber. Also gives you a bulky DD gyarados counter!
3- HP electric over sludge bomb on tentacruel (poison has pis poor coverage in OU)

I'll add more later when I can!

@moussrfacekilla
I tried out Skarmory in the past and it didn't work out as much as I hoped. I don't want to use Starmie to add another electric weakness. I'll try Celebi though but every team I've used has had a Celebi so I'm getting sick of it, but Celebi is too good to hate. Leech seed also looks good right now.

good point on the electric weaknesses. I hadn't thought of that. I typically use the following formula for stall:

lead- roserade/swampert
stealth rock user- swampert/blissey
spikes- forrstress/skarmory
toxic spikes- tentacruel/roserade/forretress
pseudo-hazing-hippowdon/skarmory/swampert/suicune
spinning- forretress/starmie/tentacruel
sandstorm-tyranitar/hippowdon
special wall-tentacruel/snorlax/blissey (blissey is best)
spin block- rotom-form/dusknoir

then I just pick the best types that cover the most of those areas. instant recovery moves>wish for stall. protect is also very good with leftovers/toxic

If you're going to have a late game sweeper on here why not switch out aerodactyl for agiligross? Gross pairs up nicely in terms of resistances and gets a SpD boost from sand. So, why not run someone that can be both offensive and defensive?

actually, aerodactyl would recieve a special defense boost from sand, and metagross would not. Only rock types do. Otherwise, I think I agree with your post dws93rd.

@moussrfacekilla

I used almost all of those except the lead and I'm actually getting destroyed by Roserade leads.

@dws93rd

I chose Aerodactyl because of the spD boost and Metagross can't stop apposing stall and loses to scarftran(sorry about the run on sentences). Maybe Tyranitar or Rhyperior could replace if you want me to use a late game sweeper.

I think that since the sandstorm isn't doing you any favors (lefties is helpful to stall teams, so you shouldn't take them away from yourself if you can avoid it), I would recommend a Gliscor as your lead. It's typing is similar to Hippo, and has similar defenses coupled with a nice speed stat. It'll get up the stealth rocks pretty reliably, and also has a recovery move. Here's the set.

Gliscor @Lum Berry
Jolly
252Hp/4Def/252Spe
~Stealth rock
~taunt/U-turn
~Earthquake
~Roost

That way you have a check to steel attackers like Jirachi and Metagross. You threaten both (unless Jirachi is packing ice punch) and can probably kill, assuming that you have some spikes and SR damage in advance.

@3v3rnoob

Sandstorm is really important to the team, it makes Aerodactyl able to switch into Heatren can sort of take a hit from cmrachi and hit both of them with eq. Metagross dies to Hippowdon and Jirachi does to unless it flinches me to death. Sandstorm also speeds up stall.

Well then try this set that I used in my old sandstorm stall team.

Cladol@leftovers
Bold
252 HP / 4 Def/ 252 SpD
~Cosmic Power
~Protect
~Toxic
~Earthpower

This is one of the funniest sets ever, walled only by skarm. The strategy is fairly straightforward. Come in on a choiced resist, get a cosmic power up, Toxic, then protect/cosmic power stall them to death. If you're getting a lot of heat from steels, change Earth power to hidden power fire. But otherwise, it's fun to watch people ragequit after a while.

@3v3rnoob

Claydol dosen't have a reliable recovery move so stronger moves or weak super effective attacks do more than 12% a turn which is the max amount of health you can recover with protect then it fails. Bronzong, crobat and Weezing also wall this set. Also anything that resists earth power and dosen't mind the toxic also beat Claydol(breloom in particular which are more common now). I might try Stockpile Cradily because that Claydol reminded me of it for some reason.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)