My First RU team.

Hello Smogon University ^~^

I'm TheRioluWhisperer, some of you might find me on the forums viewing, and commenting on VGC threads. As previously mentioned, i play VGC (Video game championships). It's the "official" rules of Pokemon you could say. My VGC season recently came to a close after my poor performance at Seattle, Washington regionals here in the United States so sadly i did not qualify to get my invite to compete in the the 2015 world championships. After the whole season of playing doubles, i wanted to find another metagame to play before i start training for San Jose regionals this fall. That brings me to here. As i was cruising the internet, i found YouTubers playing the "RarelyUsed" teir and the pokemon in this tier reallt interest me. So that brings us to now.

As i was searching through the RU legal Pokemon, I really wanted to build a team around Cobalian.

Cobalion @ Lum Berry
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 Def / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance

Cobalion, like i said before, Is a huge threat in the RU tier. It's base 108 speed is great for Pokemon in this tier. I gave it the Lum Berry because i don't want any status effects such as burn, paralysis, etc, to get in the way of this threat. This is a pretty generic EV spread. I want max attack so it can hit as hard as it can and it's speed is to make sure it out speeds anything that may be a threat. I gave Cobalion Close Combat for a strong, reliable STAB attack. I chose iron head to deal with potential fairy types in this tier such as Aromatisse, And Togetic. I chose Stone Edge > Volt Switch because if i have a +2 Cobalion on the field, then i probably don't wanna waste that and switch out. Stone edge also deals with potential flying threats such as Fletchlinder etc. And finally, I chose swords dance so i can get my Cobalion to +2 and it being a huge threat.​

Jellicent @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 212 SpD / 44 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp

After looking at Cobalion's weaknesses, I noticed that i was weak to Fighting/Fire/Ground. I automatically knew that Jellicent would be a great choice because Jellicent is completely immune to Fighting, It resists Fire, and it could easily take out potential ground time Pokemon with Ice beam. I gave Jellicent Leftovers because Jellicent is a relatively bulky Pokemon and it needs that in means of recovering. I went for water absorb as the Ability over Damp or Cursed body because a water immunity is always nice for switch ins. I chose calm nature because it's more of a Specially defensive Pokemon. I chose scald because it's a great STAB attack and it has great coverage being able to hit threats like Rhyperior super effectively. I chose ice beam over Toxic/Taunt because i needed to help cover Cobalion's ground weakness better. I chose Recover because i needed a better way of getting back HP so i don't rely on Leftovers too heavily. And finally, i chose Will-O-Wisp because i need to burn Physical threats such as Ambipomb etc.

Flygon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Defog

I chose Flygon as the third member of my party because It's completely immune to ground, and electric type attacks that that could give Cobalion and Jellicent problems. I chose choice scarf because it needs to out speed threats in the RU metagame and the same time, hit them for super effective damage. This is a standard EV spread so i don't wanna go too much into detail except for the fact that it hits like a truck. I chose U-Turn in case i wanted to switch out into something because of potential bad match ups. I chose earthquake because it's Flygon's strongest STAB ground type attack. My next choice on this Pokemon was Defog so i can get rid of hazards.

Delphox @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Grass Knot
- Psyshock
- Calm Mind

Now i wanted to add a delphox to help counter some top threats in the tier such as draipon/ emboar/ etc. I also wanted to add a pokemon with dual fire/psychic type STAB because that's a personal preference on teams that i build. I chose Life Orb for sheer damage output so it could pick up crucial KO's that i might not have gotten if i didn't have the Life Orb. This is a normal EV spread. Nothing too special. I chose timid nature for speed. Fire blast is it's best STAB fire type attack that Delphox has. Grass knot is for coverage and sometimes it 1HKO's potential bulky water types after it get's calm mind up. I chose Psyshock for coverage and STAB. I chose Calm Mind because if it get's a calm mind up then it could be a huge theat.

Aromatisse @ Leftovers
Ability: Aroma Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Moonblast
- Aromatherapy

Aromatisse is a pretty big threat. It counters dark types fairly well (Which my team is weak to) and can really take a hit. I gave it Leftovers for it's way of recovering. Kind of like Jellicent, Aromatisse is a bulky pokemon that can take hits pretty well. The EV spread it to capitalize on Aromatisse's physical bulk, this is also why i gave it a bold nature. I chose to give it Wish because if i'm low on health, i can rely on the combination of Wish + Protect + Leftovers to get my health back. It is also good if i wanted to wish pass to another pokemon in my party. I went for moonblast because i needed a way to deal with dark types that my team struggles with. I wanted to use Aromatherapy so my team could be free of annoying status conditions.

Drapion @ Lum Berry
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Aqua Tail
- Poison Jab

Draipon is an amazing pokemon. I mostly put this on my team to have a hard counter to dark types that my Pokmeon has trouble against. I gave it the Lum Berry mostly so it doesn't get burned. Battle armor is it's best ability go along with this set. The classic 252 spread is so it picks up speedy KO's on almost everything when it's at +2. I gave it knock off to deal with ghosts like jellicent, mismagius, etc. I gave it aqua tail for coverage and poison stab fora reliable STAB move.

Thanks for reading :3
Sincerely, TheRioluWhisperer

I highly reccomend Stealth Rock > Stone Edge, since you don't have any way of getting hazards on the field, I hihly reccomend is modification to Cobalion.

Hi there :]

As Lilligant for OU said, you should probably put Stealth Rock > Stone Edge on Cobalion, as Stealth Rocks are crucial on basically any team at the moment, and Fletchinder isn't that common in RU right now, so coverage for that isn't needed as much. Secondly, I'll recommend Stone Edge > Defog on Flygon, allowing you to hit Pokemon such as Golbat and Togetic (and Scarfed Flygon isn't really a reliable Defogger either). With the loss of Defog, I'll recommend Defog Shiftry > Drapion, as Shiftry is a great wallbreaker can help your main sweeper, Cobalion, by easily taking on mons like Gastrodon and Quagsire.

Shiftry @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Defog
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Leaf Storm

Hope this helped

Hi there :]

As Lilligant for OU said, you should probably put Stealth Rock > Stone Edge on Cobalion, as Stealth Rocks are crucial on basically any team at the moment, and Fletchinder isn't that common in RU right now, so coverage for that isn't needed as much. Secondly, I'll recommend Stone Edge > Defog on Flygon, allowing you to hit Pokemon such as Golbat and Togetic (and Scarfed Flygon isn't really a reliable Defogger either). With the loss of Defog, I'll recommend Defog Shiftry > Drapion, as Shiftry is a great wallbreaker can help your main sweeper, Cobalion, by easily taking on mons like Gastrodon and Quagsire.

Shiftry @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Defog
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Leaf Storm

Hope this helped
Who would i replace in place of shiftry?

RU MY FAVORITE TIER!!!!!

So first off you have no way to set up rocks or remove hazards. Hazards can destroy delphox and rocks I think do almost 25% damage to delphox. Not only that but you're using duplicate items. Personally in RU I love to use claydol. Claydol can set up stealth rocks and can rapid spin anything.

Claydol
252 Atk Cobalion Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Claydol: 99-117 (30.5 - 36.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

As you can see even with claydol running a adamant nature claydol can hold up well against a powerful threat in RU like cobalion and set up freely.

252+ Atk Claydol Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Cobalion: 192-228 (59.4 - 70.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Claydol can also 2HKO cobalion.

Personally I might swap drapion out for claydol. That is just my thought I feel like you need to be really wary of clawitzer. Clawitzer can do some much damage to this team not counting aromatisse. Jolteon can check this nicely. These are just a few of my thoughts if you want me to go further in depth let me know.

RU MY FAVORITE TIER!!!!!

So first off you have no way to set up rocks or remove hazards. Hazards can destroy delphox and rocks I think do almost 25% damage to delphox. Not only that but you're using duplicate items. Personally in RU I love to use claydol. Claydol can set up stealth rocks and can rapid spin anything.

Claydol
252 Atk Cobalion Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Claydol: 99-117 (30.5 - 36.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

As you can see even with claydol running a adamant nature claydol can hold up well against a powerful threat in RU like cobalion and set up freely.

252+ Atk Claydol Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Cobalion: 192-228 (59.4 - 70.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Claydol can also 2HKO cobalion.

Personally I might swap drapion out for claydol. That is just my thought I feel like you need to be really wary of clawitzer. Clawitzer can do some much damage to this team not counting aromatisse. Jolteon can check this nicely. These are just a few of my thoughts if you want me to go further in depth let me know.
Why is duplicate items an issue?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)