My first Rain team

After quite a long break I decided to pick up pokemon again and this is the first team I made. I don't expect it too be good theoretically but so far I have gotten decent to good results.

Politoed @choice scarf
ability-Drizzle
evs- SpAtt 252/ SpDef/ Spe 252
Nature- timid
Surf
Icebeam
Focus blast
Hidden power Grass
:basic scarf set straight from smogon made to out speed and hit hard. Surf for the basic stab-rain boosted damage. Ice beam is there to hit dragon and grass types mainly as most other things weak to ice that show up often are weak to water as well or are not enough of a threat to lock in on an ice move when other pokemon on the opponents team may resist ice and, being scarfed, politoed can't switch up moves. focus blast, so far I have only ever used against ferrothorn's who try to wall me. Hidden power grass is there for a few reasons, primarily to take car of other water types. Still due to politoed's generally suckiness this pokemon feels lacking... but I need the rain.

Accelgor @focus sash
ability- Hydration
evs- Hp 4/ SpAtt 252/ Spe 252
Nature- Modest
Encore
Bug buzz
Hidden power Rock
Rest
:This set was really just made with Accelgor's Hydration ability in mind, getting back to full health in one turn. encore alows for an easy switch or a heal with rest. Hp-Rock in dealing with various fire and/or flying types, two of its main weaknesses. This pokes real problem lies in its frailty. The sash may allow for the survival of one hit but unless said move is something like draco meteor (lowering the respective offensive stat) then accelgor will likely die next turn evn if healed with rest or will die to rocks on return.

Raikou @air balloon
ability-Pressure
evs- Hp 108/ SpAtt 200/ Spe 200
Nature- Modest
Aura shere
Thunder
Weather ball
Volt switch
:This set is also from smogon, though not generally for use in the ou tier. It really is a shame Raikou does'nt see much usage. Great speed, stab- heavy hitting thunder, weatherball which becomes a base 100 water attack in rain (allowing for easy killis on ground types), Aura sphere for the steel types (namely ferrothorn who usually pops up in opposing rainteams) and volt switch for a hasty escape. This pokemon's primary flaw is his inability to perform well without rain. Thunder loses little to all effectiveness. aura sphere and volt switch are still usable but lack the utter strength of thunder. Weather ball, being the move that it is, can still retain some effectiveness even when a weather war is lost, for instance against a venusaur on a sun team as weather ball will now be a base 100 fire type move.

Azumaril @choice band
ability- Huge power
evs-Hp 4/ Att 252/ Spe 252
Nature- jolly
Aqua jet
Waterfall
Ice Punch
Superpower
:An incredible force, speed may be a bit low but that is not a problem because of aqua jet's priority. Other than that, waterfall is the go to move for stab-rain boosted damage, Ice punch exists purely for coverage primarily being used against dragon types. super power, an already powerful move is also great to have in tow due to its hefty damage and when boosted by huge power (double attack) and a choice band this packs a quite punch against most any pokemon. As previously mentioned this poke's main flaw is it's speed which i find dissapointing, though as also previously mentioned, aqua jet rectifies this.

Tornadus-Therian @leftovers
ability- Regenerator
evs- Hp 8/ Att 120/ Def 172/ SpAtt 124/ Spe 84
Nature- Hasty
Bulk up
Hurricane
Superpower
U-turn
:I wanted a physical attacker and a hurricane abuser so I made this mixed set. Normally I would have the suggested Hammer arm over super power but I fell speed is to valuable as it allows for a U-turn escape instead of need ing to just switch out. Also when coupled with a bulk up this tornadus can take some hits though not a lot before it needs to switch out to regenerate. Another bonus of bulk up is the fact that if used before superpower not only is the moves power 1.5x stronger (obviously) but tornadus's stats will remain at 0 instead of the usual -1. Also a +1 super power is usually enough to finish off pokemon where a second, weakened, super power would have been needed. This pokemon's main problem is it's spread to thin. It doesn't specialize. It's kinda bulky, a little speedy, kinda strong offensively meaning that it excels nowhere.

Ferrothorn @Rocky helmet
ability- Iron barbs
evs-Hp 252/ Att4/ Def 252
Nature- Relaxed
Leech seed
Stealth rock
Power whip
Gyro ball
:very basic. Not sure if this is on smogon or not. It's so simple a child could come up with it. The rocky helmet coupled with iron barbs deals hefty damage back to any physical attacker while due to ferro's stats usually very little damage is received. This means that even when stealth rocks and leech seed are up the opponents is discouraged to rapid spin due to the recoil. The speed reducing nature allows for a stronger gyro ball when used. Power whip obviously there to use as a stab move against water types (that being one of ferro's primary purposes on a rain team, that and walling) This pokemon's main flaws are that it cant take fire or fighting moves very well, fortunately not only is rain up but politoed is naturally buly enough to take most fire moves with it's resistance and fighting mainly by tornadus (not perfectly but somewhat effectively) who can recover with but a switch.

Threats I've noticed-
-This team as a whole does not function well if the weather war is lost namely- Accelgor, Arguably Raikou, and Tornadus this being half the team (and politoed is dead in this scenario) means the team is VERY weak.

-Jirachi has been able to beat this team without much trouble due to the fact that none of the pokemon on the team can hit it hard easily except for azumarill and in certain instances politoed. That as well as the fact that jirachi also can benefit from rain makes him this teams greatest threat (as far as I've seen) in terms of opposing pokemon.

-So far I haven't encountered any other pokemon that threaten this team specifically. Any you notice are, of course appreciated.

Thanks to the people on Pokemon showdown for some of their suggestions.

First post, be gentle...
(Jk brutalize me)

Try this Mew set instead of Accelgor since it doesn't seem to be providing very much to your team.

Mew@choice specs
EVs: 4 HP, 252 SpA, 252 Spe
Nature: Timid
Moves:
Psyshock
Shadow Ball/Dark Pulse
Earth Power
Volt Switch

I know it seems a bit weird but it is made to specifically suit the needs of your team. One less SR weakness and a pretty decent counter to jirachi, especially neutral speed ones. Also this set functions extremely well (on your team at least) both in and out of weather. Psyshock for STAB, Dark Pulse or Shadow Ball to hit psychics and ghosts hard, the former of which was lost with Accelgor, the latter of which should be on every team and wasn't there on yours, Earth Power for Jirachi and other Steel Types that don't have levitate, and finally Volt Switch, as awkward as it may seem on a Mew, for scouting, very valuable to have on any choiced Pokemon.

Also you might want to consider running scald over surf on your Politoed. The power drop isn't too much and the burn chance makes the move amazing.

Dr Ciel

Banned deucer.
Hey there. That's a pretty solid rain team you got going on there. I would like to make some suggestions for this team that you could try and make this team better. Firstly, on Politoed, I suggest that you use Hydro Pump over Focus Blast. The advantage of using Hydro Pump on the same set of Surf is that Surf gets boosted and has good accuracy, also Hydro Pump may have lower accuracy, but it has a very high base power under the Rain. For Raikou, I suggest that you use a Sub/Calm Mind set. When behind a Substitute, Raikou can proceed to take out many Bulky waters in the OU meta. If you're going to use Tornadus-T, I would change to a Mixed Life Orb set. When running this set, Tornadus can use it's massive Special Attack coupled with Life Orb to use the devastating move known as Hurricane that has STAB which makes it a ridiculous amount of power. Tornadus-T can also use it's vast movepool to take out a large chunk of the OU metagame. With it can run Stealth Rock, Spikes on the same set, so I suggest using a Rocky Helmet set for Ferro. With a Rocky Helmet, Ferrothorn can stack up huge damage on opposing Physical Pokemon with Entry Hazards coupled with Iron Barbs and Rocky Helmet. Even though Accelgor is somewhat solid in Rain, I wouldn't recommend it. If you were to choose a offensive Hydration user, I would suggest that you use an Offensive Vaporeon. Offensive Vaporeon in rain catches many people off guard with its great defenses and its solid defenses. If you want to update your team, just original post. That's all I can say for now. I really hope I helped. Have fun and good luck with your team!

Raikou @ Leftovers Lv. 100 -- Pressure
Nature: Timid - EVs: 4 HP / 212 SAtk / 40 SDef / 252 Spd
Thunderbolt
Substitute
Hidden Power [Ice]
Calm Mind

Tornadus-T @ Life Orb Lv. 100 -- Regenerator
Nature: Naive - EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hidden Power [Grass]
Superpower
U-turn
Hurricane

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet Lv. 100 -- Iron Barbs
Nature: Relaxed - EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SDef
Spikes
Gyro Ball
Power Whip
Stealth Rock

Vaporeon @ Life Orb Lv. 100 -- Hydration
Nature: Modest - EVs: 212 Def / 252 SAtk / 44 Spd
Surf
Ice Beam
Rest
Hidden Power [Grass]

~Dr Ciel~

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)