motherfucking TRANSPORTATION

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
http://gizmodo.com/205448/beam-me-up-scotty-scientists-transport-a-hunk-of-matter-18-inches

Scientists in Copenhagen took one more step toward the Star Trek transporter, figuring out how to teleport groups of billions of atoms from one place to another using light, quantum mechanics, magnetism and a concept they call "entanglement." Professor Eugene Polzik and his team managed to move an object about 18 inches, using an excruciatingly complicated process that amounts to some serious magic. Says the Prof:

"Creating entanglement is a very important step, but there are two more steps at least to perform teleportation. We have succeeded in making all three steps — that is entanglement, quantum measurement and quantum feedback."

Although the scientists admit that no humans are going to be teleported a la Star Trek any time soon, this technology might make it possible to transmit and process data at unheard-of speeds. Can't wait to see that. Energize. – Charlie White

That's right people... transporters are real now...

Aren't you glad you live in today's world where this stuff is happening instead of being born in a time where the coolest invention ever was the fucking cotton gin...

VKCA

(Virtual Circus Kareoky Act)
Aren't you glad you live in today's world where this stuff is happening instead of being born in a time where the coolest invention ever was the fucking cotton gin...
What about the cool shit that'll be happening in 3012, that we can't even understand because it's so futuristic

I remember watching Back to the Future when I was younger, I was looking forward to hoverboards and flying cars in 2015...

cookie

my wish like everyone else is to be seen
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I just have this mental image of one of the lab lackeys just shifting the material across with tweezers when the scientists had their backs turned.

macle

sup geodudes
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I remember watching Back to the Future when I was younger, I was looking forward to hoverboards and flying cars in 2015...
they actually do have hoverboards, they aren't released because they are dangerous if you fall off. No one wants to get sued. :(

az

toddmoding
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
actually when you think about it it is even better that this is a story from 2006; it means that hopefully we have another six years of progress on this in the bag!!

VKCA

(Virtual Circus Kareoky Act)
oh by the way I was really excited about a transportation thread (bikes, rollerblades, skateboards etc) but instead it's about teleportation!!!
damn

Oh god transporters sound awful. I don't think you could send anything living through a transporter. Having yourself ripped apart, thrown through space, then reassembled doesn't sound like something you could live through. Wouldn't you technically die being ripped apart? kinda like how just because you glue back your friends hand after chopping it off, doesn't mean it will be functional again.

I don't think that's what happens, Sugarlumps. If I'm correct, teleportation is achieved through quantum entanglement which is, if I understand correctly, basically copying the quantum state of each quantum bit in your body in a different location and eliminating the original to simulate the effect of teleportation. So basically, you destroy yourself every time you teleport :/ I don't think it's possible to transfer living things without killing them though.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Oh god transporters sound awful. I don't think you could send anything living through a transporter. Having yourself ripped apart, thrown through space, then reassembled doesn't sound like something you could live through. Wouldn't you technically die being ripped apart? kinda like how just because you glue back your friends hand after chopping it off, doesn't mean it will be functional again.
I agree with what iDunno said. But really, the first thing that comes to mind is what Hugh Jackman did in The Prestige. The new one would have all the memories of the old one, because it's making an exact copy, but the old one would cease to exist. So what's the point in transporting if Your life ends?

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
I read a book years ago, and I've google searched the crap out of it but cannot relocate it. The summary is that friendly aliens came to earth and shared all kinds of technology with us. Some of the technology was too complicated for us to handle though, so they helped us use it and trained us on it. One such technology was teleportation. The gist of the story was that some guy was training on the teleporter and realized that the old bodies didn't just disappear. The friendly aliens had to dispose of them. It would like, scan you, make a copy of you on another planet, and then they had to kill and dispose of the old body.

freaking

mind

warp

It brought up all kinds of interesting questions like, is the person who is built on the other end of the universe the same person who was destroyed back on earth? If souls are real, what happens to the person's soul? Is getting from one place to another really fast really worth, what is essentially dying over and over again?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)