Other [Monotype] "Rock and Roll"

Hello all, Bit here, just making my first RMT for Monotype using my favorite type, Rock. I have been playing with this team for a pretty long time now, and I've been working hard on polishing it.

First Look At The Team:

The Team in Detail:

Weather Manager (Tyranitar) (M) @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge/Crunch
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake/Superpower

Mega Tyranitar is the heart and soul of this team, and probably my favorite mega of all time. His role in this team is both to control weather, so as to stop Rain Water from ruining my day, and work as a late-game sweeper. As for his moveset, I prefer Stone Edge over Crunch because Water and Grass appreciate it far less than Crunch, but if you are worried about not being able to get a Dragon Dance up vs Psychic, you can run Crunch. Remember, however, that Stone Edge can 2HKO Slowbro after one Dragon Dance, so you do not need to run Crunch for that. Alongside Stone Edge, Ice Punch allows Mega T-tar to OHKO Defensive Garchomp, Landorus-T and Gliscor after one Dragon Dance, something no other Rock mega can boast. As for the last slot, it's a toss-up on whether you are more afraid of Balloon Heatran or Aegislash, as Earthquake does half to Aegislash without having to worry about King's Shield, and Superpower OHKOs Standard Balloon Heatran.

The EV Spread is pretty standard, max Speed Jolly to outspeed lati@s after one Dragon Dance, and 4 Sp. Def to tank Dracos better.

Last Thing You See (Terrakion) @ Choice Band
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- Earthquake / Zen Headbutt / Iron Head
- Quick Attack

Choice Band Terrakion is the hardest hitting Rock type aside from CB Tyrantrum, and it's for good reason it is on this team. This thing hits like a truck, being able to 2HKO the likes of Skarmory after Stealth Rocks. Stone Edge is self explanatory, as it's high powered STAB that allows you to hit Mega Sableye hard and kill it if it's weakened, along with being able to 2HKO Slowbro after Stealth Rocks. Close Combat is what allows Terrakion to be so great against Steel, as nothing wants to take a banded CB after Stealth Rocks. The third moveslot is hard to choose, as each move has it's benefits. Earthquake is my personal choice, as it allows terrakion to muscle past doublade, 2HKOing it with some good rolls, but Zen Headbutt helps alot versus Mega Venusaur and Conkeldurr, while Iron Head is great ensure policy against fairy's such as clefable, who usually get encored into Calm Mind by Shuckle and are very threatening should Stone Edge Miss.

EVs are Standard, 4 into defense to take Mach Punches better.

Blown Back (Cradily) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 SpD
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Toxic
- Recover
- Mirror Coat / Stockpile

Cradily is the team's best way to beat water, alongside with being a good check to Landorus-I and Scarf Keldeo. Giga Drain is good STAB for recovery, and is generally gonna be your best way of damaging Water monos. Toxic is this teams way of handling Sap Sipper Azumarill, as even with a +1 Boost, as long as Azumarill does not have CB Superpower, Cradily can wall it. Toxic also helps stall out opposing walls and grass inmunities. Recover is self-explanatory, while the last move slot is a choice between being able to OHKO Landorus and other special attackers that do more than 50% to Cradily with their attacks, or having a win condition against Water and Ground monos.

The given EV's round out Cradily's defenses, along with giving her enough physical bulk to take Keldeo's Scarfed Secret Sword, and having enough Special bulk to always live Landorus-I Focus Blast.

Unkillable (Rhyperior) (M) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Fire Punch
- Ice Punch

Rhyperior is the main Physical wall on the team, and it's for good reason. This Pokemon will be your main check to physical threats such as Landorus-T, Garchomp, and specially Mega Scizor and Mega Medicham/Gallade. The reason I chose Weakness Policy is that it allows me to OHKO Mega Gallade after it has Drain Punched Rhyperior without having to use heavy attack investment. Earthquake is Rhyperior's main STAB, and what he is monstly going to be using throughout the match unless he's used as a specific counter. Stone Edge is unreliable STAB, while Fire Punch is the team's main way of defeating Mega Scizor. Ice Punch is used to be able to OHKO Landorus-T even after intimidate, along with hitting Dragons hard.

I prefer running maximum investment in Defense and HP with an Impish nature, as it allows me to live Mega Medicham's High Jump Kick even after fake out damage and Stealth Rocks, something the usual Adamant set has a chance of dying to.

The Lord (Omastar) (F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Swift Swim/Weak Armor
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Shell Smash

Omastar is the only dedicated Special Attacker on this team, and he has a very key role to serve because of it. In general, your only chance against Sableye will be this pokemon. Alongside this, with the proper support, Omastar is able to sweep a great amount of teams, specially Ground. Hydro Pump is chosen over Surf for maximum damage against Sableye, despite the shaky accuracy. Ice Beam is coverage, and helps alot vs Dragon and Ground. Hidden Power Grass is there for the chance 50% chance to OHKO Gastrodon, along with hitting Swampert and Seismitoad hard as well. Finally, Shell Smash is the boosting move Omastar will generally use to sweep once it's counters are weakened or gone, but don't hesitate to lose your Sash in exchange for damaging a check to Terrakion and Tyranitar.

EVs are Standard, 4 defense to have a better chance to be 3HKO'd from Scizor's Bullet Punch.

Mah Boy (Shuckle) (M) @ Mental Herb
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 SpD
Impish Nature
- Sticky Web
- Stealth Rock
- Encore
- Toxic /Knock Off

Finally, here we have the standard Sticky Web + Stealth Rock Shuckle that make this team actually be decent. Sticky Web is what makes this team viable, as it allows Terrakion and Tyranitar to outspeed many other pokemon, and very importantly, it allows Terrakion to speed tie against Scarf Keldeo, granting the team a very small chance against Fighting. Stealth Rocks come right after, as they allow the team to turn a lot of 3HKOs into 2HKOs, and is great for breaking sashes. Encore is a practical necessity because of the teams Gyarados weakness, alongside with being able to stop Subbing and other boosting from breaking past Rhyperior and Cradily. Finally, the last move slot is determined on whether you are afraid of Taunt Mew or not. If you are, then it's likely you need Toxic, as otherwise standard psychic mew with enough EVs to outspeed t-tar 6-0s you. If you don't fear that, Knock off is wonderful for removing choice scarfs, notably Keldeo's and Jirachi's.

The EVs are set up so I can survive 2 Specs Scalds from Keldeo in the Sand, while also surviving 2 Secret Swords from Specs Keldeo.

Threat List:

• Fighting Monos: Yeah, your only chance to do this is to have webs up from Shuckle, pray your opponent is not bulky Mega Gallade with Drain Punch (6-0) and that Terrakion wins the Speed Tie vs Scarf Keldeo and opposing Scarf Terrakion. (You have to save Rhyp for Gallade, auto-lose otherwise
  • Scarf Jirachi: If they get 5 flinches in a row versus Rhyperior, which can happen, GG, you can't handle it without it outspeeding you. Only chance is to have Knocked it off or have webs up.
  • Mega Venusaur: Super hard to deal with, you need to Mirror Coat it for as much damage as possible, limit synthesis recovery with Sand and try to get it below 55% so that Terrak might kill with Stone Edge.

Attachments

DEG

the night belongs to you
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hello Bitana, pretty interesting team I must say. I've got something to help you against your threats!

First of all tyranitar-mega is good, but shouldn't be used on rock monos since it does nothing to patch it weakness so I suggest using Mega Aggron > Mega Tyranitar, when it mega evolves it loses it's rock typing making it less vulnerable to jirachi, scizor and other steel types which can run though rock. Scizor is one of the most scariest Pokemon to face with rock monos. I suggest a curse set which can handle lot of things. Sleep talk can be changed to fire punch which will help you deal with the likes of scizor easier.

Aggron @ Aggronite
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Curse
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Heavy Slam

Second of all, to hinder your weakness to fighting I'd consider running Diancie over Rhyperior or Omastar. Diancie's fairy typing helps rock take on fighting and dark types, suggesting a weakness policy set that can be replaced by leftovers if needed.

Diancie @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SpA / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]

This is an optional change but to beat water better Cradily can rock a Curse set also, Curse, seed bomb, recover, eq/rock slide.

Cradily @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Seed Bomb
- Earthquake
- Recover

Suggesting using Earthquake on Terrakion and replacing Quick Attack with zen headbutt.
Knock off over toxic on Shuckle helps to knock off scarves or specs that can be troublesome.

Hello all, Bit here, just making my first RMT for Monotype using my favorite type, Rock. I have been playing with this team for a pretty long time now, and I've been working hard on polishing it.

First Look At The Team:

The Team in Detail:

Weather Manager (Tyranitar) (M) @ Tyranitarite
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge/Crunch
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake/Superpower

Mega Tyranitar is the heart and soul of this team, and probably my favorite mega of all time. His role in this team is both to control weather, so as to stop Rain Water from ruining my day, and work as a late-game sweeper. As for his moveset, I prefer Stone Edge over Crunch because Water and Grass appreciate it far less than Crunch, but if you are worried about not being able to get a Dragon Dance up vs Psychic, you can run Crunch. Remember, however, that Stone Edge can 2HKO Slowbro after one Dragon Dance, so you do not need to run Crunch for that. Alongside Stone Edge, Ice Punch allows Mega T-tar to OHKO Defensive Garchomp, Landorus-T and Gliscor after one Dragon Dance, something no other Rock mega can boast. As for the last slot, it's a toss-up on whether you are more afraid of Balloon Heatran or Aegislash, as Earthquake does half to Aegislash without having to worry about King's Shield, and Superpower OHKOs Standard Balloon Heatran.

The EV Spread is pretty standard, max Speed Jolly to outspeed lati@s after one Dragon Dance, and 4 Sp. Def to tank Dracos better.

Last Thing You See (Terrakion) @ Choice Band
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- Earthquake / Zen Headbutt / Iron Head
- Quick Attack

Choice Band Terrakion is the hardest hitting Rock type aside from CB Tyrantrum, and it's for good reason it is on this team. This thing hits like a truck, being able to 2HKO the likes of Skarmory after Stealth Rocks. Stone Edge is self explanatory, as it's high powered STAB that allows you to hit Mega Sableye hard and kill it if it's weakened, along with being able to 2HKO Slowbro after Stealth Rocks. Close Combat is what allows Terrakion to be so great against Steel, as nothing wants to take a banded CB after Stealth Rocks. The third moveslot is hard to choose, as each move has it's benefits. Earthquake is my personal choice, as it allows terrakion to muscle past doublade, 2HKOing it with some good rolls, but Zen Headbutt helps alot versus Mega Venusaur and Conkeldurr, while Iron Head is great ensure policy against fairy's such as clefable, who usually get encored into Calm Mind by Shuckle and are very threatening should Stone Edge Miss.

EVs are Standard, 4 into defense to take Mach Punches better.

Blown Back (Cradily) (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 SpD
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Toxic
- Recover
- Mirror Coat / Stockpile

Cradily is the team's best way to beat water, alongside with being a good check to Landorus-I and Scarf Keldeo. Giga Drain is good STAB for recovery, and is generally gonna be your best way of damaging Water monos. Toxic is this teams way of handling Sap Sipper Azumarill, as even with a +1 Boost, as long as Azumarill does not have CB Superpower, Cradily can wall it. Toxic also helps stall out opposing walls and grass inmunities. Recover is self-explanatory, while the last move slot is a choice between being able to OHKO Landorus and other special attackers that do more than 50% to Cradily with their attacks, or having a win condition against Water and Ground monos.

The given EV's round out Cradily's defenses, along with giving her enough physical bulk to take Keldeo's Scarfed Secret Sword, and having enough Special bulk to always live Landorus-I Focus Blast.

Unkillable (Rhyperior) (M) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Fire Punch
- Ice Punch

Rhyperior is the main Physical wall on the team, and it's for good reason. This Pokemon will be your main check to physical threats such as Landorus-T, Garchomp, and specially Mega Scizor and Mega Medicham/Gallade. The reason I chose Weakness Policy is that it allows me to OHKO Mega Gallade after it has Drain Punched Rhyperior without having to use heavy attack investment. Earthquake is Rhyperior's main STAB, and what he is monstly going to be using throughout the match unless he's used as a specific counter. Stone Edge is unreliable STAB, while Fire Punch is the team's main way of defeating Mega Scizor. Ice Punch is used to be able to OHKO Landorus-T even after intimidate, along with hitting Dragons hard.

I prefer running maximum investment in Defense and HP with an Impish nature, as it allows me to live Mega Medicham's High Jump Kick even after fake out damage and Stealth Rocks, something the usual Adamant set has a chance of dying to.

The Lord (Omastar) (F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Swift Swim/Weak Armor
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Shell Smash

Omastar is the only dedicated Special Attacker on this team, and he has a very key role to serve because of it. In general, your only chance against Sableye will be this pokemon. Alongside this, with the proper support, Omastar is able to sweep a great amount of teams, specially Ground. Hydro Pump is chosen over Surf for maximum damage against Sableye, despite the shaky accuracy. Ice Beam is coverage, and helps alot vs Dragon and Ground. Hidden Power Grass is there for the chance 50% chance to OHKO Gastrodon, along with hitting Swampert and Seismitoad hard as well. Finally, Shell Smash is the boosting move Omastar will generally use to sweep once it's counters are weakened or gone, but don't hesitate to lose your Sash in exchange for damaging a check to Terrakion and Tyranitar.

EVs are Standard, 4 defense to have a better chance to be 3HKO'd from Scizor's Bullet Punch.

Mah Boy (Shuckle) (M) @ Mental Herb
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 SpD
Impish Nature
- Sticky Web
- Stealth Rock
- Encore
- Toxic /Knock Off

Finally, here we have the standard Sticky Web + Stealth Rock Shuckle that make this team actually be decent. Sticky Web is what makes this team viable, as it allows Terrakion and Tyranitar to outspeed many other pokemon, and very importantly, it allows Terrakion to speed tie against Scarf Keldeo, granting the team a very small chance against Fighting. Stealth Rocks come right after, as they allow the team to turn a lot of 3HKOs into 2HKOs, and is great for breaking sashes. Encore is a practical necessity because of the teams Gyarados weakness, alongside with being able to stop Subbing and other boosting from breaking past Rhyperior and Cradily. Finally, the last move slot is determined on whether you are afraid of Taunt Mew or not. If you are, then it's likely you need Toxic, as otherwise standard psychic mew with enough EVs to outspeed t-tar 6-0s you. If you don't fear that, Knock off is wonderful for removing choice scarfs, notably Keldeo's and Jirachi's.

The EVs are set up so I can survive 2 Specs Scalds from Keldeo in the Sand, while also surviving 2 Secret Swords from Specs Keldeo.

Threat List:

• Fighting Monos: Yeah, your only chance to do this is to have webs up from Shuckle, pray your opponent is not bulky Mega Gallade with Drain Punch (6-0) and that Terrakion wins the Speed Tie vs Scarf Keldeo and opposing Scarf Terrakion. (You have to save Rhyp for Gallade, auto-lose otherwise
  • Scarf Jirachi: If they get 5 flinches in a row versus Rhyperior, which can happen, GG, you can't handle it without it outspeeding you. Only chance is to have Knocked it off or have webs up.
  • Mega Venusaur: Super hard to deal with, you need to Mirror Coat it for as much damage as possible, limit synthesis recovery with Sand and try to get it below 55% so that Terrak might kill with Stone Edge.
Hey man, this is definatley an interesting team. Fairly on the generic side minus ttar, but DEG is right in everything he said, those mons can fix up your team. As for Aggron, you don't need to run a mono attacking curse set, utility is also a viable option. As for ttar, try AV out for size and see what you think. Otherwise good job! :)

Thank you all for your suggestions! Yeah, the team is fairly standard aside from Mega Tar, but is rather weak to fighting. I do wonder, however, how the weakness policy on Diancie should be used? As in, does it perhaps tank a Bullet Punch from Medicham? Or is it supposed to switch into physical water, ground, and grass moves? Slightly confused about the spread on that...

Aside from that, my only issue is that if I replace Toxic on Shuckle, to run Knock Off, I start having issues against Psychic's Mew (Who runs Taunt, Willowisp, Knock off and Roost), which is why I suggested Toxic in the first place.
(If you look at the team before the changes, mew with enough speed to outspeed Mega Tar 6-0s XD)

As a last question, I wonder how that Cradily set does versus Landorus-i? If I lose my Tyranitar in exchange for Aggron, I won't have Sand to abuse anymore, which could be troublesome against some of the stronger special hits. (As a side note, I find Terrak's Quick Attack very useful against weakened bellyjet Azu, but I understand I'm weak to fighting XD)

Also, perhaps I can edit Shuckle's EVs a bit more? Not sure about the spread it's running atm.

Last edited:
Hello there, I'm an avid Rock monotype user myself. Personally, I just really really love Choice Band Terrakion just for the havoc it can cause, so I liked seeing a team with that on here. I have a few suggestions that I believe could strengthen your team a bit.

I would agree with Dream Eater Gengar, although it is really fun to use, Mega Tyranitar just doesn't have much merit over the other Mega choices, mostly since it's too easy to outspeed at +1 and just requires more support overall. Save the Mega slot for something else by using Assault Vest Tyranitar > Mega Tyranitar. This lets Tyranitar act as more of a team player, taking on special attackers really well, instead of acting as a late-game sweeper. This, IMO, will also support your Terrakion a lot more, since it can afford to switch in and out to threaten Ghost- and Psychic-types with its higher investment in bulk.

Tyranitar @ Assault Vest
EVs: 124 HP / 120 Atk / 252 SpD / 12 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Fire Blast
- Pursuit / Ice Punch
Stone Edge is there for STAB, Crunch nails Psychic- and Ghost-types which is really important for Terrakion, and Fire Blast fries Scizor, Ferrothorn, Skarmory, etc. Pursuit lets you checkmate lots of stuff really easily. This not only is meant to GG Psychic- and Ghost-types, but also get that delicious damage on a few Rapid Spinners / Defoggers that remove Shuckle's hazards. You could use Ice Punch if you really want to OHKO Landorus-I (you live a Focus Blast o3o), but as long as you get a decent Crunch or Stone Edge in, Terrakion can finish it off.
The EVs plop max investment in SpD to get the most out of the Assault Vest, the 120 Attack EVs allow you to 2HKO Slowbro after Stealth Rock, and the 12 Speed EVs let you speed creep Aegislash, which tend to try to outrun Tyranitar to remove it with Sacred Sword. The rest of the EVs were simply put into HP for overall bulk. There's a decent amount of freedom with the EVs, so feel free to test around.

Now that I've removed your win condition and opened your Mega slot, I think that you could give Calm Mind Mega Diancie > Omastar a shot. IMO, the most replaceable teammate is Omastar. I know they are really different, but I think that Mega Diancie just plainly performs the role of a special attacker much better on this team. It also gives you a decent matchup against Fighting, even better if they don't have Mega Medicham or Hawlucha. I think the best part of this set is that it breaks through Mew, which you seem to really hate currently. You'll be losing out on Protect, but with Sticky Web support, you should be able to outspeed more targets prior to Mega Evolving, so you won't miss it as much, hopefully.

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Psychic
Relatively self-explanatory. HP Fire is just generally better IMO, but you mentioned Mega Venusaur in the threatlist, so Psychic could be used if you really want to hit it hard.
+1 252 SpA Mega Diancie Psychic vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Venusaur: 294-348 (80.7 - 95.6%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Lastly, now that your Mew problem is alleviated (somewhat .3.), I think you could afford to use Knock Off > Toxic on Shuckle, since taking off AV off of Conkeldurr, few Choice Scarves (Surf Latios can be annoying late-game), and Eviolite off of Porygon-2 or Chansey is really handy. It also lets you learn more about the opponent's movesets, like removing Kyurem-B or Gengar's item eases prediction a bit. You could also try out an EV spread of 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD with an Impish nature > 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 SpD. I just use that spread since Shuckle has the ability to switch into lots of Fighting- and Ground-types, all of which seem to attack physically primarily, and the addition of AV TTar lets Shuckle reap the benefits of 1.5x SpD in sand anyway, letting it act like a stronger overall wall.

Shuckle @ Mental Herb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Sticky Web
- Stealth Rock
- Encore
- Knock Off

Anyways, that's it, good luck with the team!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)