Other Metagames [Monotype Flying] 1st Class Ticket Gone

Hi, I'm Dece1t, or a lot of people know me as Stun, and I decided last minute to post a SuMo team to RMT. I will be unfortunately leaving PS! as well as Smogon as a whole, so I thought this would be a good way to say goodbye. I wish I was able to test this team more, and be able to ladder/win some tours with it, but due to some disappointing circumstances I'm posting it as I last left off with it. When testing it, however, I discovered that this was actually an extremely fascinating team, and I instantly fell in love it with. The idea behind this was to try out a new Pokemon introduced this gen, Celesteela, and see how Leech Seed can help support Flying's wide array of reliable walls. It turned out to be excellent passive recovery along with leftovers, and Beast Boost often came handy to further its walling capabilities if it managed to get a kill. With that said, I made sure I had a solid defensive core, and a threatening offensive core to be able to abuse it. Without further ado, I would like to present my final RMT, and probably post for that matter, with a 1st Class team (IMO).

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Toxic

As I mentioned above, the purpose of building this team was to test Celesteela. One may argue Skarmory is far superior due to much better Defense and access to hazards. Leech Seed is one of the biggest reasons I decided to use it, for decent recovery for itself as well as its teammates. Heavy Slam is the STAB attack given to hit Rock and Fairy types substantially *given it is the heaviest Pokemon in the game now. I'll tell you now, this team heavily relies on Toxic to wear the opponent down, and Celesteela is the 1st user with it. Protect is the last move so that it can have a safe turn to scout, as well as get additional Leech Seed/Leftovers recovery.

Mantine @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Toxic
- Defog
- Roost

Mantine is incredible this gen, now having access to reliable recovery in Roost, and a +20 HP increase. Due to that, Mantine is now quintessential to run on Flying teams as a means to easily switch into most Ice attacks, and wall common Swift Swim abusers such as Kingdra. With that said, given its new found reliance, I made it my team's defogger. It's excellent mixed bulk (primarilly Special Defensively) is what finalised my decision to run Defog on Mantine over Zapdos. Along with that, Scald is given to help spread burns, and keep certain ground types in check (primarily Mamoswine and Landorus-I). Toxic is given to it over Ice Beam as a means for additional passive damage, and to keep pressure onto bulkier Pokemon/things it can effectively wall.

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off / Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance / U-Turn

With no Skarmory being ran, I needed a new option for a Stealth Rock setter. I settled on Landorus-T given its access to intimidate, strong natural attack without a heavy amount of investment, and to help counteract the passive-feel the team had. The main thing that makes this set pretty nifty is the fact that I gave it Swords Dance. This allows it to unsuspectingly threaten a wide range of Pokemon I would not of been able to otherwise. Other than that, Earthquake is its main STAB I'm running, and I have Knock Off/Stone Edge slashed for a couple different reasons: Knock Off is nice utility to have, especially considering outside of that the eviolite Normal core would of been very troublesome, and Stone Edge in general prevents it being walled (I actually ran into a problem against Mega Aerodactyl at one point because I didn't have Stone Edge). If you don't fancy Swords Dance though, U-Turn is a good option to allow it to reliably pivot out (even though personal I don't see a huge need, given the safety blanket of walls that are on the team).

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Roost

At this point I needed to get into the ball game and add Pokemon that could abuse the immense team support give, and Mega Charizard Y was the perfect candidate! Access to Drought helps further to shut down weather teams, and it strengthens its already absurd Fire attacks/skips Solar Beam's charging phaze. The reason I decided to run Modest over Timid, the usually more favorable nature, is solely for the fact to add even more dangerous wallbreaking power (not to mention, it only speed ties with base 100s, so really the only threat you'd have to worry about being faster now is Hydreigon, who Mantine/Zapdos can usually wall). Aside from that, Flamethrower helps to break annoying Steel types/is an insanely strong STAB (no need to risk the Fire Blast miss if you're running Modest as it is under the Sun), and Solar Beam is amazing coverage to hit Water and Ground types alike (primarily Swampert and Seismitoad). Focus Blast is to prevent it from getting walled by Heatran, and Roost is to keep its longevity up.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 148 SpD / 112 Spe
Calm Nature
- Discharge
- Toxic
- Substitute
- Roost

Despite carrying an Electric Immunity in Landorus-T, I knew right off the bat that would not be enough to combat Electric's insane offensive force this generation, so given Mantine was already my defogger, I decided to run a Sub-Toxic set! This allows it to further its walling capabilities by quite a bit, being able to avoid status and successfully achieve Toxic-Pressure stall (its great especially for stalling out Electric teams)! The EVs allow me to completely outspeed Jolly Breloom, who with a Focus Sash, my team technically did not have a reliable answer to. Discharge is given for some solid Electric STAB, with the chance to paralyze in the case that I did not want to stall out something, but rather slow something down. All in all, this is a great set to run, and it really helps against Electric teams as a whole if played right.

Dragonite @ Choice Band
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Superpower
- Fire Punch

I was desperately in need for a Physical Attacker, and with no Scarfer, something to grab revenge kills was an absolute must. Dragonite was my answer, thanks to its strong Attack stat, good coverage, and one of the ebst priority moves in the game, Extreme Speed. A Choice Band is given to maximize its Attack stat to the highest level it possibly can, and Multiscale surprisingly allows it to be a great emergency revenge kill check if the plethora of walls on the team fail. Aside from that, this set is pretty self explanatory, so I won't go super in-depth with it.

Well, I can be brutally honest I did not expect this to be my last thing I'll ever do on Smogon. I would of made a threatlist done some shoutouts, and made it look a lot more presentable, but due to the circumstances I am in, I'm gonna leave it here. Thank you so much to those of you that made my experience here a pleasurable one, and to those I may of wronged in the past, I am deeply sorry--I hope with me being gone, things will be better and you can enjoy your time on here. While I can't say I'm proud to leave, or that I want to, that's just how things ended up. People can be cruel, to put it plain and simple, and for that reason I dare not to be apart of that let alone deal with it. Anyways, I hope you enjoy the team, here's the importable:​
Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Toxic

Mantine @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Defog
- Roost

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Flamethrower
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Roost

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 148 SpD / 112 Spe
Calm Nature
- Discharge
- Toxic
- Substitute
- Roost

Dragonite @ Choice Band
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Superpower
- Fire Punch

I only have 1 replay showcasing this team, while not necessarily great given I choked a few times, it gives you a jist of how everything works, so here it is:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-512598117 vs Bug (credits to Tyke and StarBlim for being the people to help me test this team for the most part)

Bon Voyage. :mad:

Last edited:
hey man, nice team! it's a shame you arent sticking around long enough to test it more.
Just one suggestion:

On Charizard, I'd definitely go with Timid > Modest. Even if it's stronger, your entire team gets demolished by Life Orb Kyurem-B and you NEED something to outspeed it.

Great core, just a couple things on mantine though. I would at least slash haze with toxic, because it helps it check some of the water types that its suppose to, namely manaphy, belly drum azumarill, as well as vocarona and magearnas that dont run tbolt. If you use haze, you should transfer 8 EV's from def to spe in order to creep azus that outspeed neutral 70's. Heres the set I would use with your core:

Mantine @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 236 Def / 16 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Haze
- Defog
- Roost

Reactions: Ren
This is a small suggestion, but I'd consider running Flamethrower > Toxic on Celesteela, as that offensive coverage is a part of what makes Celesteela so difficult to deal with and will help you check Mega-Metagross more effective while dealing with other perstersome steel types like Scizor and Ferrothorn.

I'll miss having you around man, best of luck wherever you go.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)