Monotype Mono poison from a new player

Introduction

**Welcome to my first RMT! This is one of the first teams I have made, being a newer player of mono.**

Salazzle @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Corrosion
Nature: Hasty
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
IVs: 0 Atk
Moves: Venoshock | Dragon Pulse | Flamethrower | Hidden Power [Water]​

This Slazzle can wreak havoc on unprepared players because it has quite a lot of speed. Dragon pulse to cover dragons, and hidden power water for annoying ground types. Venoshock and flamethrower are both STABs and are fairly effective.

Gengar @ Choice Specs
Ability: Cursed Body
Nature: Timid
Moves: Shadow Ball | Dazzling Gleam | Dark Pulse | Energy Ball​

just like Salazzle, gengar can destroy unprepared players with its coverage with energy ball, dark pulse and dazzling gleam. Shadow ball is a strong reliable STAB which does very good damage and cursed body against opponents with choice items screws them over.

Dragalge @ Assault Vest
Ability: Adaptability
Nature: Relaxed
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 SpD
Moves: Dragon Pulse | Shadow Ball | Sludge Wave | Thunder​

This Dragalge is a very strange set, with shadow ball and thunder for coverage and dragon pulse and sludge wave as STAB, with a assault vest on top of all that makes a weird set that has some coverage, and is good for tanking a few hits.**

Nidoking @ Waterium Z
Ability: Sheer Force
Nature: Sassy
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 SpD
Moves: Poison Jab | Aqua Tail | Stealth Rock | Earthquake​

Nidoking is the poison and electric killer with it's powerful earth quake, and can mostly tank at least 1 hit to get rocks out. Poison jab for a STAB and aqua tail to stop ground types that would sweep my entire team, the waterium Z is for that exact purpose, to deal with grounds before they wreck me.

Muk-Alola @ Leftovers
Ability: Poison Touch
Nature: Impish
Moves: Knock Off | Gunk Shot | Taunt | Rock Slide​

A-Muk is a very good mom to have on poison. With knock off to get rid of annoying items, gunk shot as a reliable STAB, taunt to stop stalls or set up sweeps, and rock slide for a bit of coverage I didn't have before.

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
Ability: Overgrow
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Moves: Giga Drain | Protect | Sludge Bomb | Sleep Powder​

This is the regular Venusaur-M, a stalling, annoying set that wins the game by making you rage quit. I needed at least 1 defensive mom to sort of balance out my team so I decided on a Venusaur as it is one of the best mons on poison and is good for a bit of stall.

Salazzle @ Choice Scarf
Hasty Nature
- Venoshock
- Dragon Pulse
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Water]

Gengar @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Dazzling Gleam
- Dark Pulse
- Energy Ball

Dragalge @ Assault Vest
Relaxed Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Thunder

Nidoking @ Waterium Z
Sassy Nature
- Poison Jab
- Aqua Tail
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake

Muk-Alola @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- Gunk Shot
- Taunt
- Rock Slide

Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Protect
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder

Introduction

**Welcome to my first RMT! This is one of the first teams I have made, being a newer player of mono.**

Salazzle @ Choice Scarf
Nature: Hasty
Moves: Venoshock | Dragon Pulse | Flamethrower | Hidden Power [Water]​

This Slazzle can wreak havoc on unprepared players because it has quite a lot of speed. Dragon pulse to cover dragons, and hidden power water for annoying ground types. Venoshock and flamethrower are both STABs and are fairly effective.

Gengar @ Choice Specs
Nature: Timid
Moves: Shadow Ball | Dazzling Gleam | Dark Pulse | Energy Ball​

just like Salazzle, gengar can destroy unprepared players with its coverage with energy ball, dark pulse and dazzling gleam. Shadow ball is a strong reliable STAB which does very good damage and cursed body against opponents with choice items screws them over.

Dragalge @ Assault Vest
Nature: Relaxed
Moves: Dragon Pulse | Shadow Ball | Sludge Wave | Thunder​

This Dragalge is a very strange set, with shadow ball and thunder for coverage and dragon pulse and sludge wave as STAB, with a assault vest on top of all that makes a weird set that has some coverage, and is good for tanking a few hits.**

Nidoking @ Waterium Z
Nature: Sassy
Moves: Poison Jab | Aqua Tail | Stealth Rock | Earthquake​

Nidoking is the poison and electric killer with it's powerful earth quake, and can mostly tank at least 1 hit to get rocks out. Poison jab for a STAB and aqua tail to stop ground types that would sweep my entire team, the waterium Z is for that exact purpose, to deal with grounds before they wreck me.

Muk-Alola @ Leftovers
Nature: Impish
Moves: Knock Off | Gunk Shot | Taunt | Rock Slide​

A-Muk is a very good mom to have on poison. With knock off to get rid of annoying items, gunk shot as a reliable STAB, taunt to stop stalls or set up sweeps, and rock slide for a bit of coverage I didn't have before.

Nature: Bold
Moves: Giga Drain | Protect | Sludge Bomb | Sleep Powder​

This is the regular Venusaur-M, a stalling, annoying set that wins the game by making you rage quit. I needed at least 1 defensive mom to sort of balance out my team so I decided on a Venusaur as it is one of the best mons on poison and is good for a bit of stall.

Salazzle @ Choice Scarf
Hasty Nature
- Venoshock
- Dragon Pulse
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Water]

Gengar @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Dazzling Gleam
- Dark Pulse
- Energy Ball

Dragalge @ Assault Vest
Relaxed Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Thunder

Nidoking @ Waterium Z
Sassy Nature
- Poison Jab
- Aqua Tail
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake

Muk-Alola @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- Gunk Shot
- Taunt
- Rock Slide

Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Protect
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder
Hello! This seems to be a very interesting take on the mono poison meta, seeing as you're running a Balanced offense team, rather than poison's strongest archetype: semi-stall. As a league gym leader for the type, I can say that I have a lot of experience with the type. Firstly I'd like to ask whether this was actually what you were going for, and if not I have a few suggestions for the team to fix it up, but for now, here's a few rule of thumb changes to make to improve the team in general.

Nihilego> Dragalge
Firstly, dragalge is not a good pokemon in general. It's WAY too slow to be able to do anything outside of trick room, and without a choice specs, it actually lacks damage as well. Currently, there are 2 main problems with your team. The first is that you're forcing roles onto certain things that don't actually fit that role well enough to be good at it. As a special tank, A-muk is all you need (I'll give the changes later). Dragalge is not needed for this role especially when you can put this slot to a far better use. Nihilego can either be a hazard stacker, with Tspikes and SR, or can be run as a sweeper with a scarf, but I suggest using it as a utility mon, since you already have salazzle.

Crobat/ Scolipede >Nidoking
Alright, so in this slot, because you now have a stealth rocker which is not nidoking, you can afford to let this pokemon go. Crobat gives a fast support pivot with defog for hazard control and U-turn for momentum. It can also run brave bird for damage, and roost to heal. This pokemon is a very good pokemon to run for any kind of poison team, so I highly recommend this change. Another option is scolipede. Scolipede is a great physical threat for the poison type in general thanks to speed boost, which can definitely snowball into a sweep as long as you've weakened the opposing tanks. Scolipede can either be run as a LO set, or a buginium-z set, take your pick. If you don't want to change this however, it would also be a good idea to change Nidoking to a special set, since it has more damage output thanks to sheer force than a physical set.

Muk-A (Pursuit+Shadow sneak>Rock slide+taunt, AV>Black sludge/Curse+Rest>Rock slide+taunt)
OK, so now we get onto Muk-A. While the set that you had isn't exactly terrible, it's not the most optimized set it can be. With an AV, Rock slide is definitely not something that can justified, as the main threat you'll want to use that against, volcarona, Doesn't beat it 1v1 without rock slide anyway, even at +2! Knock off into gunk shot should kill most volcarona sets, and if not Shadow sneak is definitely an option. There's also Nihilego and crobat to deal with it. Instead you should run shadow sneak and pursuit to trap psychic type threats to the team. If you don't want an AV, then you could also run a Curse-rest set with either a chesto berry or a black sludge, though it's not quite as viable due to it being taunt+phase bait.

Salazzle (Timid nature>Hasty nature, Hidden Power Grass>Water)
I see literally no point in not having this nature in the first place. Also with the threats that salazzle has, it MUCH more appreciates grass coverage than water, due to things like EVERY WATER TYPE IN EXISTENCE. It also still hits ground types :).

Gengar (Focus blast>Dark Pulse)
There is literally no point in running dark pulse at all in any situation. It doesn't hit anything super effectively that STAB shadow ball already does, no more neutral hits and has more resists for the same base power. The ONLY notable thing about it is that it can hit normal types, which is covered by focus blast. Focus Blast also helps deal with the steel match-up, something that poison can struggle with, especially since ALL steel teams run heatran, which stops salazzle cold.

The main point I'm trying to get at here is that coverage isn't everything! Especially on a type like poison, where it hits everything besides steel types, which is covered for by salazzle + scolipede. This is the second problem with your team, you have way too much coverage, and not enough utility, and a "Bulky" nidoking doesn't count. Hopefully with these changes, you can start to see an improvement with the team.

Timid Nature
- Venoshock
- Dragon Pulse
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Gengar @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Dazzling Gleam
- Focus Blast
- Energy Ball

Nihilego @ Focus Sash/Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock/Toxic Spikes/Hidden Power [Fire/Ice/Ground (Ground is for dealing with heatran, Ice for garchomp and dragons without Dazzling Gleam and Fire is for Ferro/scizor)]
- Toxic Spikes/Dazzling Gleam/Thunder Bolt/Psyshock (mostly for opposing poisons)
- Power Gem
- Sludge Wave

Crobat @ Black Sludge
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- U-turn
- Brave Bird

Muk-Alola @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 12 Def / 248 SpD
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Poison Jab
- Shadow Sneak

OR

Muk-Alola @ Black Sludge/Chesto Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 12 Def / 248 SpD
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Gunk Shot
- Curse
- Rest

Scolipede @ Buginium Z/Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance/Protect
- Megahorn
- Earthquake/Poison Jab
- Rock Slide/Poison Jab

Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Protect
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder

BONUS!!! Other notable options:
Toxapex
Toxapex is literally the epitome of stall, and can also provide Tspikes to help with opposing tanks as well. With utility such as haze, scald, baneful bunker, stockpile, light screen (I didn't even know that until I looked it up!), infestation, safeguard and smack down(?!) it can provide a lot of support, though half of those are very niche, a scald/haze/baneful bunker/recover set is very effective and can wall most of the metagame when combined with a ground immunity (like crobat).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)