• The Team looks fun

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Scrafty can rival Incineroar

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I would play with that team

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Hello :-)

In this thread I present to you a team that I used quit a lot in US/UM Battle Spot Doubles and got a lot of sucess out. Maybe you battled against this team under a user name called shinato123 or shinato245 (that was me ;-). I always wanted to post a team Analysis but was never confident enough until I created this team.

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 136 SpD / 20 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Protect
- Leech Seed
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb

Mega-Venusaur has incredible bulk and a great typing with its only weakness to flying and psychic. Some people run a good amount of special attack investment on M.V. but I didnt really see the usefulness in doing so because M.V. can pretty much 2HKO everything it hits for super effective but cant OHKO many things even with full investment. An exception to this is Tapu-Koko which you can OHKO even without any investment. The SpD investment lets you survive an unboosted Psychic from Tapu-Lele in Psychic Terrainthe the 100Def Investment lets you live a psyshock from Tapu-Lele in Terrain and the 20 Spe are for other Mega Venusaur 0 Speed Milotic
I run a really basic couverage, because sleep powder isnt an option because of Tapu-Fini and HP-Fire is pretty useless in my opinion, because if I want to chip my opponent I might as well go for leech seed which also gives me recovery. Of course in specific matchups like against kartana or ferrothorn it would be a strong option but I rather want a good matchup most of the time then a great matchup sometimes.
(Fun Fact: M-Venusaur can actually beat regular Kartana in a 1V1, because Giga-Drain still does around 23%)

0 SpA Venusaur-Mega Sludge Bomb vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tapu Koko: 290-344 (103.2 - 122.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 252 HP / 136+ SpD Venusaur-Mega in Psychic Terrain: 306-362 (84 - 99.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 252 HP / 136+ SpD Venusaur-Mega in Psychic Terrain: 306-362 (84 - 99.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Earth Power
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Heatran is the second member of my team. The Choice-Scarf Set catches many people off guard and I get a lot of free kills because off this. The Speed Controll is also really useful, especially for my really slow team to finish up the last bit of HP from fast Pokemon. The real reason I run it over a more traditionell Sub+Figy Berry Version for example which also works great is because it functions really similar to Aegislash with that set so I wanted to make these Mons as different as possible to have the most amount of variety and options to defeat my opponent. The Scarf lets you outspeed most of the Metagame without some sort of speed boost, including Tapu Koko. The downside is that other scarfer like Landorus-T for example still outspeed you. Even tho this Set doesnt have any kind of bulk investment, Heatran is still quite a good switch in to many Pokemon especially to many Pokemon M-Venusaur struggles against because of its great typing. And even if it takes a neutral or even effective hit, because of its great natural bulk it survives most of the time, so you can actually use it quite good in a defensive core.
The coverage is pretty straight forward. Overheat lets you nuke fragile Mons like Tapu-Koko or Pokemon who take effective damage like M-Metagross, Heat Wave is a great way to deal good spread damage which is a lot more useful in many situations. If one of the opponents Pokemon is a Kartana for example Overheat would just be a waste. Earth Power is a coverage move against other fire types like Incineroar and opposing Heatran, HP Ice is for the dragons like M-Salamence and Lando-T, but in generell you will spam Heat Wave most of the time.

252 SpA Heatran Overheat vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tapu Koko: 268-316 (95.3 - 112.4%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Kartana Sacred Sword vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 240-284 (74.3 - 87.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Heatran in Electric Terrain: 220-259 (68.1 - 80.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Milotic Scald vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Heatran: 164-194 (50.7 - 60%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Tapu Fini @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spe
Modest Nature
- Protect
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Muddy Water

My third member in Tapu-Fini completes the Classic Fire/Water/Grass Core. The natural bulk makes it a good switch in and also a remover of the damage boosting fields like Psychic Terrain and Electric Terrain from my opponent. I tried many different sets and I found out that the CM-Setup Set worked by far the best. Tapu-Fini proved to be the star of my team in many games, sometimes single handedly sweeping the opposing team if I did the setup at the right time. The Setup-Set also has a great indirect synergy with M-Venusuar: While the CM-Setup forces the opponent to play agressively and to stay in, Leech Seed Venusaur punished them for exactly doing that, so you got a Win/Win situation. I run a really simple Max/Max split which probably isnt perfect to be completly honest, but I didnt found anything I really wanted to outspeed. The 50% Berry increased the lifespan of Tapu Fini significantly and allowed it to setup in the first place quite often.
After just one Calm-Mind boost Tapu-Fini is incredible bulky on the special side. For example, Tapu-Kokos Life Orb boosted T-Bolt in Terrain does 88,1% max and Tapu-Leles Psychic in Terrain does 41,2% max, so Tapu-Fini is quite long on the field, even against hard hitters and can fire back with spread muddy-water for good chip and potential accuracy drops or Moonblast for guarenteed damage to OHKO more frail Pokemons after one or two boosts or against Pokemon who are weak to fairy attacks.

252 SpA Tapu Lele Psychic vs. +1 252 HP / 8 SpD Tapu Fini in Psychic Terrain: 61-73 (34.4 - 41.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. +1 252 HP / 8 SpD Tapu Fini in Electric Terrain: 133-156 (75.1 - 88.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252+ SpA Tapu Fini Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tapu Koko: 135-159 (93.1 - 109.6%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Tapu Fini Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Salamence-Mega: 158-188 (92.9 - 110.5%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

Scrafty @ Figy Berry
Ability: Intimidate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 244 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
IVs: 0 SpA
- Fake Out
- Low Kick
- Knock Off
- Snarl

Scrafty is the Intimidater of my choice and made a lot of sense because of its natural bulk and Fake out support. Of course Incineroar is a big rival, but with a fire type already on my team I figured Scrafty gives me more defensive switch in Potential. Fake out support is really useful in generell but is even better in a team like that because even if my opponent protects his Pokemon, Tapu-Fini and Aegislash can use the turn to set up, Zapdos can Roost and even Mega-Venusaur can potentially get a free round of Leech Seed recovery if it was planted before. Knock off is an absolute must for Scrafty in my opinion especially because the 50% are so common. Snarl is a good move especially in longer games, because you can easily gain the upper hand in damage potential when your opponent has two special attacker out on the field for example. Low Kick is a good way to chip many heavy Pokemon and OHKO specifik Pokemon like Stakataka. The spread is made to tank a Tapu-Lele Moonblast and of course a Moonblast of Tapu-Fini or a Dazzling Gleam from Tapu-Koko and even without any real defensive Investment, Scrafty can still take some really hard hits after the Intimidate. My item of choice is a 50% Berry. I tried both the berry and assault west and in my experience the berry far outclasses the west. Sure it can happen that an attack just puts Scrafty just about the 25% and can then be finished off without popping the Berry but this rarely happens and whenever the berry gets popped it pays off more then the west, because it also increases the longevity for Scraftys devensive side.

252 SpA Tapu Lele Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 244+ SpD Assault Vest Scrafty: 144-172 (83.7 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Tapu Bulu Wood Hammer vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Scrafty in Grassy Terrain: 150-177 (87.2 - 102.9%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
-1 60 Atk Aerilate Salamence-Mega Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Scrafty: 138-164 (80.2 - 95.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Scrafty Low Kick (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0- Def Stakataka: 156-184 (92.8 - 109.5%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

Zapdos @ Electrium Z
Ability: Static
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spe
Modest Nature
- Protect
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Roost

Zapdos is the fith member on my team. It provides a much needed ground type switch and is also offensively really useful to hit nearly everything for high damage. The Electrium-Z max SpAt set actually doesnt really fit into the more bulky nature of my team, but it provides something that every other Pokemon on my team cant really do, it can dish out a huge amount of damage in one turn to OHKO big offensive threads or setup mons like M-Metagross, M-Mawhile. The full HP investment makes it still pretty bulky so that it can take an ice punch of M-Metagross, or a Flamethrower from Charizard-Y. HP-Ice is for obvious threads like Lando-T, the Dragons, or just for chip against grass and ground types. I put Roost over Tailwind on the last slot, because its rather slow team members who dont get an immidiate thread after the speed boost of Tailwind and Roost is kind of a way for Zapdos to keep up with the bulk of the other members. For example if my opponent tries to attack around my M-Venusaur I can rotate between Protect and Roost on my Zapdos to force my opponent to attack the bulky Pokemon too.

252+ SpA Zapdos Gigavolt Havoc (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mawile-Mega: 165-195 (105 - 124.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Zapdos Gigavolt Havoc (175 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Metagross-Mega: 147-174 (94.2 - 111.5%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Zapdos Gigavolt Havoc (175 BP) vs. +1 252 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Fini: 170-204 (96 - 115.2%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Zapdos Gigavolt Havoc (175 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tapu Lele: 141-166 (97.2 - 114.4%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Tough Claws Metagross-Mega Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Zapdos: 138-164 (70 - 83.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Charizard-Mega-Y Heat Wave vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Zapdos in Sun: 115-136 (58.3 - 69%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Aegislash @ Aguav Berry
Ability: Stance Change
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 232 SpA / 24 Spe
Modest Nature
- King's Shield
- Substitute
- Flash Cannon
- Shadow Ball

My last member on the team is Aegislash. I took it because my team really fears Tapu-Lele, M-Metagross and Cresselia and Aegislash is a great counter to all of them (as far as you can counter a M-Metagross). The Sub-Set worked great previously on my Heatran so I thought I can use it on my Aegislash too and it works even better Aegislash especially because of King Shield which forces your opponent constantly to predict if he has a physical attacker and if you are like me and hate the mind games with Aegislash setting a Sub up first ensures the survivability of Aegislash most of the time. Often finding the right moment to set up a Substitute is my way to break opposing bulkier teams. For my attacks next to King Shield and Substitue I choose Shadow Ball and Flash Cannon to hit everything hard so that I can pretty much 2HKO everything. I put an extra 24Spe on this set to outspeed Incineroar to have the upper hand with substitute before you get knocked. I choose the Aguav Berry for my item because with the sub-set you pretty much always get your berry activated and every other item doesnt really makes sense despite Z-Move but I didnt need a second Z-move user.

252 Atk Tough Claws Metagross-Mega Stomping Tantrum vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 164-194 (50.6 - 59.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
196+ Atk Incineroar Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 266-314 (82 - 96.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
232+ SpA Spooky Plate Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Metagross-Mega: 350-414 (115.8 - 137%) -- guaranteed OHKO
232+ SpA Spooky Plate Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tapu Lele: 336-396 (119.5 - 140.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
232+ SpA Spooky Plate Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Cresselia: 302-356 (68 - 80.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Conclusion:
When it comes to weaknesses of the team it mostly comes down to specific Pokemon or more specific a group of specific Pokemon. Tapu Lele can really beat me if it has a partner to help out against Heatran and Aegislash like special-Lando-T or Nidoking. Also Setup Pokemon are quite good against me as well, because I often cant nuke them that easily if Zapdos isnt on the field, the Setup Pokemon is a Snorlax or has Redirect Support. In situations like that I try to counter setup with Substitute, Leech Seed, and Calm Mind. Balance Tailwind Teams are also quite good against my team because with the Tailwind they always have the momentum and even though they keep the offensive pressure they dont have little bulk to win the damage trades easily. Also real Hyper Offense with Heatran Counter Measures can sometimes overwhelm my team but it really depends on the Pokemon. Against Sand for example I have Scrafty to slow the opponent down. Against Rain and Sun I have a pretty great matchup. M-Venusaur and Tapu-Fini with Fake Out Support is to hard to break for Rain most of the time and Heatran destroys Sun single handedly. Trick Room looses against my team most of the time, because I can nuke most users and even if not Tapu-Fini and Aegislash can use the free setup turns and M-Venusaur, Zapdos can stall out Trick-Room and Scrafty can buy free turns.

The biggest strength of this team probably is that you nearly always have a good shot at winning when you play good. The only instant loss I ever had was against a Tapu-Lele, Nidoking Team but fortunately you see this pretty rarely.

Because nobody plays "Battle Spot Doubles" today anymore I practiced a lot on "Doubles OU" and found that Hoopa and Zygarde are a big thread as well (but are far away from an auto-loss) but even though my team wasnt optimized for the Tier I still got in the Top 50s which is a good sucess for me.

Thanks you so much if you read to this point, it really honours me!

What do you think of this team, feel free to try it out, feel free to rate my team or tell me what I can improve? I think I could put some Speed on Tapu-Fini and Zapdos but I am not sure yet. And I also need help with Nicknames, I am really uncreative when it comes to names. I named my Scrafty "Punk" and my M-Venusaur "your mom" (which is kind of childish even though I still find it funny) but thats it really. And if you are German you can write me in German too.

So thats it! I wish you a great rest of the day. Bye! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)