ORAS Doubles OU ~ Mega Mawile Semiroom ~

Hello there!

This is my shot at making a semi-Trick Room team starring Mega Mawile! The team functions mainly one two cores; MegaMawile - Chandelure - Rotom W in the slow-mode Trick Room accompanied by an offensive, faster coverage core of Weavile - Garchomp - Talonflame.

The main restriction I had when building this team was:

- Fairly easy to breed for IVs. This is again for accessibility ingame, but also works as most IVs modified would be speed, but since it's semiroom, running odd speed tiers is fine to outspeed very slow mons with the slow mode outside of TR and still do work inside of TR.

Without further do, on with the team.

Mawile-Mega (F) @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Protect

- Mega Mawile -

This is the star of my team. The moveset is nothing crazy and is the most common around; I find it completely usable as it hits most of the meta-game neutrally or effectively with STAB except for some threats like Charizard-Y, Heatran, Aegislash and Camerupt, as well as a few other threats. Sucker Punch hits these threats for some decent chip damage, especially Aegislash, but generally the idea is to avoid those matches directly with Megawile unsupported.

As for the spread, I went Adamant with no IV modifications to allow her to speed creep outside of TR (as this is semiroom, it won't always be up.) I feel this is fine, and it allows her to work with Gothitelle if I ever decide to use her. Intimidate is her most useful pre-Mega ability, and the HP EVs is to make odd HP value at lv100. The rest is dumped into SpD to maybe slightly soften the blow from fire attacks and slightly round out her defenses.

Her main role is to be a bulky attacker. Inside of TR, she'll output 50%-100% of a Pokemon's HP extremely reliably with strong defensive characteristics. Her intimidate is also extremely useful.

Chandelure (F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Energy Ball
- Protect
- Trick Room

- Chandelure -

Sashed Chandelure is my Trick Room setter. Flash Fire is an obvious ability, allowing Chandelure to soak up some fire for Mega Mawile as a switch or while Mawile is protecting herself. The sash allows Chandelure to reliably set up Trick Room. Heat Wave is a great STAB move that lets her put the hurt on Aegislash, guaranteeing a 2HKO or putting Aegislash on the defensive (both are good outcomes). Energy Ball helps with some coverage as the team doesnt lack a direct answer to Water/Grounds like Gastrodon or Swampert, as well as giving some answer to things that resist fire like other waters. Protect is generally just useful in doubles.

EV Spread is simple; since it's TR, it doesnt need speed investment, so I'm free to pump SpA, get good HP EVs and toss again the rest into SpD to possibly help with water attacks. Modest to help it operate outside of TR but just overall supplement power.

Aegislash Calc: 252+ SpA Chandelure Heat Wave vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 194-230 (59.8 - 70.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

(1hKO if Mawile Sucker Punches and Aegislash attacks.)

Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 100 Def / 116 SpA / 44 SpD
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

- Rotom Wash -

The glue that binds the TR together. This helps out with the ground weakness shared by the other teammates, while allowing it to support the rest of the team. Hydro Pump and Thunderbolt offer great coverage that the other two members do not have, allowing it to pressure some of the other threats the team leaves unanswered thus far (ZardY, Camerupt, etc.), while providing Will-o-Wisp support to fully maim physical attackers with Mawile's Intimidate. Protect is generally useful. The Sitrus Berry allows it to makes some 2HKOs into 3HKOs and adds to the team sort of diminishing bulk after Chandelure.

The spread is Smogon's recommended spread, which I'm sure is EVd to so... something of importance that I'm not aware of. Either way, Modest allows it to work outside of TR while still be sorta fast inside of it. This is a very hole-filler Pokemon.

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- U-turn

- Landorus-Therian -

I used to have a bulky Garchomp in this slot, but I had someone kind enough to suggest this to me in SD and I feel it fits a bit better. Lando-T starts to form a very solid basis for my fast mode. It gives Intimidate pressure, allowing me to Intimidate turn 1 then UTurn into Mawile to half enemy attack almost instantly. It gives me a strong Rock Slide and Earth Quake combo, letting me 0HKO Zard Y and TFlame and pressuring Aegislash. It gives me Superpower, giving me great coverage on a super fast Pokemon due to the scarf (outspeeds most of the meta unboosted), and of course it gives me pivot control. It's even got decent defensive typing to take a hit.

Spread is very simple, nothing special. Adamant and max attack lets it hit hard. Scarf and max speed lets it hit fast. 4 SpDef because most attacks itll be taking are ice and water which are usually special, and this may or may not save me in 0.01% cases.

Weavile (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Low Kick
- Fake Out

- Weavile -

My other fast mode mon that provides great utility to the team's fast side. I know that Fake Out is generally seen as inefficient on Weavile, but it provides just so much extreme support in this case that I feel it's necessary. Low Kick lets it lay down hurt on Tyranitar and Kanghaskan, and of course Icicle Crash and Knock Off allow it to put out huge damage with STAB. Knock Off also provides good support. Life Orb let's it hit harder since all of it's moves are attacks and it's frail anyways.

The spread is simple. Adamant, max attack, LO makes it a clear attacker, and max Speed lets it outspeed many threats. The 4 Def EVs lets it take Fake Outs a little easier. Really simple, standard Pokemon that just does it's job as a offensive disruptor, making flinches and knock offs left and right while providing coverage and pressure, both offensively and in it's ability.

Talonflame (M) @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Taunt
- Protect

- Talonflame -

The kamikaze bird offers tons of checks and coverage to the team that it doesn't have otherwise. Brave Bird hits everything generally hard and Flare Blitz helps with more damage. The bird is really just meant to come in on faster Pokes that the team generally could struggle with due to lack of priority outside of Fake Out and do tons of hurt. Quick Guard allows it to give an answer to priority that it can't outright OHKO with BB and Protect is sort of nice on such a frail, commonly target Pokemon.

The spread is simple as usual. Max Attack, Adamant Sharp beak allows BB to hit hard, and max Speed allows it to outspeed many things.

Potential Team Weaknesses:

- Amoonguss; I don't have much that can 1 shot it.
- Rotom W... I don't even know what it's EV spread is for. Maybe a different one would be more optimized for the team.
- Talonflame; Sharp Beak... is the extra longevity worth it over Life Orb damage?
- Status; I have no safeguard or aroma therapy and 3 Will-o-Wispable physical attackers that don't resist Intimidate.
- Rain or bulky water may be a bit hard as my team is a bit weak to water and my only real answer are Energy Ball Chandelure, TBolt RotomW and in a way Mawile since she resists, but I don't have a real solid check.

Change Log:

May 31st 2AM - Now allowing Legendaries since I found out about Theorymon's cloning giveaway thread. I originally wanted this to possibly be a 6v6 Doubles team on my ORAS but wasnt up for SRing. Obviously, that's now changed.

May 31st 2 AM - Changed Rocky Helm Bulkchomp for Scarfed Lando-T

May 31st 2 PM - Holy this actually was my first self-built team that gave me really good success! I got 1508 on the ladder, surpassing my goal of hitting top 500. Still looking for help on EV spreads but I am overall very satisfied with the team and rapid rate of improvement it's gotten.

May 31st 9 PM - Taunt seems to be working more on TFlame than QGuard as per suggested.

Last edited:
SSoeiro,

Since you mentioned that you are playing in-game, your team is actually for Battle Spot Doubles, not Smogon Doubles OU. The main difference is that you use 6 Pokemon rather than 4 Pokemon in Smogon Doubles OU, thus causing the metagame to be unique, but not that different. Nevertheless, you team is very inconsistent. Right now, I can see that your team have the following: TR Mega (w/ priority) + 1 bad TR setter + 1 priority user + 1 average speed Mon + 2 speedy Mons. And, although some changes are necessary, I will try to maintain your team’s identity.

Well, I like how you are using Mega Mawile (it’s a monster). I would only change its ability; unlike Intimidate, Hyper Cutter will ensure Mega Mawile to maintain its status as a “TR Sweeper”; opposing Intimidate will not cause it to retreat. However, any (high-level) competitive player would know that you will Protect your Mega Mawile and attempt TR in your first turn. As far as I can see, your opponents is most likely to Double Target your FS (Focus Sash) Chandelure; your intention is quite clear. Thus, I suggest that you use Cresselia, a bulky Mon that is quite hard to eliminate in a single Doubles turn. You can give it Lum Berry or Mental Herb; it all depends what you see as the greater threat. In addition, it has the ability Levitate, which will allow you to act as a pivot to Ground type moves if needed. Yet, if you still want a good Mon that can “soak up Fire type moves” for your Mega Mawile, then I strongly recommend that you use Heatran.

And, although it seems that you are aware of requiring a Fake Out user, I believe that Weavile is not the Mon for the job. Although it is the fastest Fake Out user, it will not perform well in a TR team. Yet, you already mentioned that you like the usage of Intimidate, so I believe that Hitmontop is the right Mon for your team. Some things to note about this Mon is that it has other priority moves, Wide Guard (a move that would protect you against common Earthquake, Heat Wave, etc.), and Quick Guard (a move that will stop priority moves such as Fake Out). Other Mons with similar roles aren’t bad either. If you like, you can try out Hariyama and/or Conkeldurr, a better counter to THALK (Thundurus + Heatran +Amoonguss + Landorus + Mega Kangaskhan) teams. You can try them out in Pokemon Showdown; I’d say it’s better than tediously EV’ing them in-game and testing them out.

However, your Landorus-T must leave the team. It leaves more strains than benefit to the team. After all, half of your original team won’t work well with its Earthquake, and you may be forced to use another move instead. Like I mentioned previously, Heatran is an excellent Mon, and it can outperform Landorus-T. If it has Safety Goggles, then it will have no problem in eliminating Amoonguss in or out of TR. (You mentioned this problem earlier.) And I doubt that you would be having problems with Rain teams and bulky Water types since Rotom-W is a good counter against them. For the matter of Talonflame, Life Orb > Sharp Beak, Overheat > Flare Blitz (for Ferrothorn), and Taunt > Quick Guard (because you wanted Safeguard or its equivalent). Lastly, every Mon except Talonflame must have its IVs at its minimum (0). I don’t know whether the in-game allows that function, but it will surely improve your TR usage.

GL HF

Hey there!

I am aware that the ingame online is Battle Spot Doubles, and I do plan to make a team specifically for that format, as well as VGC and BSS. This is an ingame team that is intentionally DOU because I often play Doubles with friends and go to conventions and meets and etc. where we play 6v6 Doubles :)

I have considered both Heatran and Cresselia, but if I were to bring Heatran, I'd lose my TR setter, and if I brought both, I'd have to ditch Rotom or go hard TR, so I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable making the switch of ditching TR altogether or going heavy TR.

I'll look into Hyper Cutter on Mawile and do more research. I understand your reasoning behind it, but I just feel like I should research into it a bit more as the Intimidate set is by far the most common.

The Tflame changes I would definitely feel most comfortable making and will look into them and probably do them.

And unfortunately getting min IVs ingame takes a very long time :(

Thanks nonetheless! I think the Tflame changes are most helpful as I often have trouble knowing which of the billion sets this bird has is best for me.

Edit: Oh, also, I test all of my teams in SD and if they perform well I port them over to ingame :) Currently at 1508 with the current team.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)