Pokémon Manaphy

:sv/manaphy:

Type: Water

Base Stats: 100/100/100/100/100/100 (BST: 600)

Ability: Hydration

Notable Moves:
  • Tail Glow
  • Heart Swap
  • Take Heart
  • Surf
  • Hydro Pump
  • Scald
  • Ice Beam
  • Blizzard
  • Energy Ball
  • Stored Power
  • Grass Knot
  • Tera Blast
  • Dazzling Gleam
  • Shadow Ball
  • Psychic
  • Calm Mind
  • Rest
  • Sleep Talk
New Move:

Take Heart - The user lifts its spirits, curing its own status conditions and boosting its Sp. Atk and Sp. Def stats. (Psychic, Status, 15 [24] PP)

Pros:
  • Manaphy is one of only two users of Tail Glow in Scarlet and Violet as of the Teal Mask's release, and it is by FAR better than Volbeat at... well, everything. It can get +3 Special Attack with a single turn of setup, and +6 with just two turns of setup. This may as well be Manaphy's signature move; it happens to get three, by the way.
  • Manaphy gets access to Heart Swap, which can allow it to steal stat boosts from opponents in a pinch. This was Manaphy's original signature move, and is once again Manaphy's signature move now since Magearna lost it.
  • Manaphy also gets access to a new signature move in Take Heart, which is effectively Refresh and Calm Mind in a single moveslot. The move is absolutely excellent, but Tail Glow is also terrific. So yes, this thing effectively has three signature moves now.
  • Manaphy's excellent 100/100/100 bulk and Water typing make it quite difficult to OHKO, giving it plenty of opportunities to set up and potentially wreck house.
  • Manaphy's movepool has expanded considerably since it last made an appearance: Hydro Pump and Stored Power are by far the two biggest additions, with the former granting it a far stronger Water STAB than Surf and the latter allowing it to nuke even Unaware walls from orbit with ease once it sets up (spoiler alert: it will not struggle to set up too much).
  • Hydration is a niche ability in most cases, but it allows Manaphy to use Rest to fully heal itself and then naturally clear its own status at the end of the turn when Pelipper's Drizzle is active, giving Manaphy immense longevity and plenty of room to set up multiple boosts.
  • Manaphy's excellent coverage, good bulk, and access to setup moves make it a natural fit on Dual Screens, Aurora Veil, and especially Rain teams, where it can obtain numerous boosts and obliterate slower teams.
  • Manaphy also has a lot of Terastallization potential, either to boost its damage or flip its matchup against Zapdos upside-down.
Cons:
  • Manaphy has enormous 4MSS: it wants to run all of Tail Glow or Take Heart, Stored Power, a Water STAB, Energy Ball, and Ice Beam and wouldn't mind Dazzling Gleam, Psychic, or Shadow Ball either.
  • Base 100 Speed isn't slow, but it isn't the fastest mon out there.
  • Manaphy's damage output is enormous once it sets up, but it's entirely reliant upon setting up as well and is relatively weak prior to setting up.
  • It or Veil is possibly getting banned eventually, so Manaphy may not be able to utilize its tremendous buffs for too long this generation.
Terastallization Potential:
  • Water allows Manaphy to power up its Water STAB to enormous levels, especially if Rain is active. After a single Tail Glow, a Rain and Tera Water boosted Surf from Manaphy effortlessly 2HKOs the most specially-bulky Blissey variants, and if it's running Rest it can easily just set up a second Tail Glow in front of Blissey and threaten to even OHKO it from full HP with Surf (Hydro Pump solidly OHKOs at +6 with Rain+Tera Water). So yeah, Manaphy can basically turn into Dracovish.
  • Grass gives Manaphy a Ground and Grass resistance and powers up Energy Ball.
  • Electric grants Manaphy a beastly defensive typing when facing off against the excellent Zapdos, as Tera Electric resists both its STABs.
  • Tera Flying lets Manaphy effortlessly set up against Great Tusk, although Tusk isn't staying in against it whatsoever.
  • Generally-good defensive typings like Fairy, Dark, and Steel aren't bad either. The former two can help against Kingambit's feared Sucker Punch, and the latter gives it an immunity to Poison.
Potential Sets:

Tail Glow+3 Attacks
Manaphy @ Mystic Water / Leftovers / Covert Cloak
Tera Type: Electric / Water / Grass
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Tail Glow
- Surf / Hydro Pump
- Energy Ball / Stored Power / Ice Beam
- Ice Beam / Energy Ball / Stored Power

Run this on a Screens, Webs, or Veil team and you're going to see results; Stored Power in particular allows Manaphy to obliterate Unaware walls. You could consider dropping Tail Glow for Take Heart on this set as well, but you'll be losing out on a lot of immediate power after a turn of setup if you opt to do so.

Tail Glow+2 Attacks
Manaphy @ Leftovers / Covert Cloak
Tera Type: Water / Fairy / Electric / Grass
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Rest
- Surf
- Stored Power / Energy Ball / Ice Beam

Run this on a rain team. Manaphy shouldn't have too hard of a time setting up at least once, and thanks to Hydration its Rest is essentially a full heal with no other drawbacks so long as rain is active.

Crophy
Manaphy @ Leftovers / Covert Cloak
Tera Type: Water / Fairy / Electric / Grass
EVs: 252 HP / 72 Def / 184 Spe
Timid Nature
- Take Heart
- Surf / Scald
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Remember Crocune? Yeah, this is that set on crack. The Speed investment lets it outpace Lando-T; everything else serves to maximize Manaphy's physical bulk, since with enough Take Heart boosts it won't be an issue. Sleep Talk calling Take Heart can allow Manaphy to just end its Rest a turn or two early, meaning it has a much more reasonable chance of getting a lot of mileage out of a good Sleep Talk roll. Surf is stronger, but Scald burns can allow Manaphy to cripple physical attackers, which it can then use as setup fodder. Having answers to Dondozo and Water Absorb users is completely mandatory for this set to function.

Final Thoughts:

Wow, this was a (Tail) glowup I didn't expect, partially because I didn't think this little guy would be coming back in DLC1. Manaphy will be a staple on many forms of Hyper Offense, ranging from Screens/Veil to Rain to even the occasional Sticky Web squad. This little demon got a fancy new signature move that largely outclasses Calm Mind (which some variants ran) and kept the esteemed Tail Glow, and got cool new moves like Hydro Pump and especially Stored Power that greatly expand Manaphy's wallbreaking prowess to new levels. Expect Manaphy to be a top threat, or at least a big enough threat to justify supporting so heavily; slower teams stand absolutely no chance!

maybe im tripping but whats the point of stored power + tail glow? at +6 you're ohkoing everything without unaware already, at +3 it's weaker than psychic (and i need not mention +0). and the only unaware mon you're hitting significantly harder with stored power than with surf is dondozo, but energy ball significantly outdamages stored power vs that, so i don't really see the point. maybe it has a merit on take heart sets, if those have merit of their own, but yeah...
+6 252+ SpA Manaphy Surf vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Unaware Clodsire: 194-230 (41.9 - 49.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+6 252+ SpA Manaphy Stored Power (140 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Unaware Clodsire: 202-238 (43.6 - 51.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+6 252+ SpA Manaphy Surf vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Unaware Skeledirge: 234-276 (56.9 - 67.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+6 252+ SpA Manaphy Stored Power (140 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Unaware Skeledirge: 121-143 (29.4 - 34.7%) -- 10% chance to 3HKO
+6 252+ SpA Manaphy Energy Ball vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Unaware Dondozo: 170-200 (33.7 - 39.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+6 252+ SpA Manaphy Stored Power (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Unaware Dondozo: 131-155 (25.9 - 30.7%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

I think that Manaphy will probably be in OU since it kinda get's stuffed by any team with:
- stat eliminating moves
- encore
- taunt
- rain check/water resist

I haven't checked to see how many new mons are getting moves with these properties, but it will probably be a higher tier OU threat imo.

maybe im tripping but whats the point of stored power + tail glow? at +6 you're ohkoing everything without unaware already, at +3 it's weaker than psychic (and i need not mention +0). and the only unaware mon you're hitting significantly harder with stored power than with surf is dondozo, but energy ball significantly outdamages stored power vs that, so i don't really see the point. maybe it has a merit on take heart sets, if those have merit of their own, but yeah...
+6 252+ SpA Manaphy Surf vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Unaware Clodsire: 194-230 (41.9 - 49.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+6 252+ SpA Manaphy Stored Power (140 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Unaware Clodsire: 202-238 (43.6 - 51.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+6 252+ SpA Manaphy Surf vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Unaware Skeledirge: 234-276 (56.9 - 67.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+6 252+ SpA Manaphy Stored Power (140 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Unaware Skeledirge: 121-143 (29.4 - 34.7%) -- 10% chance to 3HKO
+6 252+ SpA Manaphy Energy Ball vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Unaware Dondozo: 170-200 (33.7 - 39.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+6 252+ SpA Manaphy Stored Power (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Unaware Dondozo: 131-155 (25.9 - 30.7%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
I think that's a fair assessment. I was mostly looking at it from a "hey, I can hit Pex and Dondozo in one moveslot" perspective, but I think Psychic+Energy Ball should cover those fine enough as is.

I think Stored Power on a RestTalk Take Heart set might be really dangerous though; that set does have a way to push well past 140 bp.

Lmao do you guys think Phione will actually be viable in the lower tiers now given it also can run RestTalk + Take Heart + Scald? Keep in mind Phione didn’t even get Calm Mind nor Tail
Glow before, so Take Heart is huge.

Anyways, Manaphy is cracked now, yeah? Tail Glow sets with Tera, bulky RestTalk sets with Take Heart, Specs with Flip Turn… just seems like a lot better and more versatile than its been the past few gens. I don’t think it’s gonna be banworthy or anything, but I could see it being back to OU again.

Calm Mind+Refresh in a single move for Manaphy in the Tera meta.
Yeah I dunno I personally don't even see it lasting the month.
Probably the most busted mon of the DLC at least in theory.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)