Magnezone

Status
Not open for further replies.

PISTOLERO

I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him.
Magnezone

Plz don’t reject me straight away

(It only took 1 hr 14 mins for you awful people to reject Metagross btw)

Overview:
########

• Lost its dark and ghost type resistances in gen VI
  • Gained resistance to and SE STAB against fairies
  • Steel types most common way of dealing with geoxern, and also with ekiller sometimes
  • Wrecks said steel types
  • Doesn’t have issues trapping like other trappers do. Mengar dislikes trying to trap Scizor, Gothitelle can’t trap Scizor either, Mengar can’t trap keys as well as it’d like, as it’ll end up crippled and maybe even dead (gothitelle can kindof trap keys but can lose to heavy hax).
  • Gets wrecked by eq, hates ground types
  • Unlike quite a few other Steel-Types, it doesn’t invite Ho-Oh in so much as the turkey doesn’t wanna take a thunderbolt or volt switch to the face, specially not with SR – with Scizor it can Roost/Sub as Scizor runs away.
  • Gets wrecked by lots of powerful stuff, eg palkia, kyogre, you get the idea
  • Fuck. You. Klefki

Die Steel-Types Die

Thunderbolt

Volt Switch

HP Fire

Toxic/Flash Cannon

Specs/Leftovers

EVs: Hmmmm… I’d say max SpA, then enough speed to beat megazor, then rest in HP. that way you can HP Fire Scizor in the face before it Superpowers/U-Turns out.

Moves

• Tbolt and Volt Switch do heavy damage to Steel-Types. Volt Switch allows for momentum gain.
  • HP Fire wrecks Scizor
  • Toxic works to nail switchins eg Landorus Therian/Groudon. They don’t enjoy a nasty Flash Cannon tho.
  • Excels at one thing and one thing only – wrecking steel types completely. Klefki dies, Scizor gets HP Fired. GeoXern then wrecks teams :/ ……

Set Details

• Removes Skarmory/Scizor for ekiller. Helps out teams that. Hate. Stupid. Gay. Annoying. Piece. Of. Shit Klefki. I. hate. Klefki.
  • Can get rid of forretress/ferrothorn before they irritate you too much. Also means things like palkia/kyogre/zekrom aren’t as irritated by the metal durian.
  • Basically, it gets rid of steel-types so that its teammembes can run a train over the opponent.
  • Switchins arern’t such an issue, as Magnezone’s main focus should be wrecking Steel-Types, which can’t switch out of it anyways. It’ll be forced out after doing its job anyway, so….. Specs is better I think. In fact, Volt Switch is kindof secondary too, but it's good to wreck something whilst leaving the field, meaning you aren't setup fodder.
  • Flash cannon helps against something like Arceus-Fairy/defensive Xern, both of which can’t do too much to you. Also helps against Arceus-Rock to a degree, although don’t stay in for ages trying to wreck these singlehandedly.
  • Run away from everything faster that you aren’t trapping. Magnezone should: do its job in killing Steel-Types, then it can maybe chip away at/poison a few other things before you throw it in to die :/ …
  • Can’t trap Steelceus or Dialga or Heatran or Aegis (at all), at least not really. Maybe if Steelceus doesn’t have WoW you can at least chip away at it repeatedly, maybe getting to paryz it. Watch out for EQ from arc forms tho :/
  • Interestingly this also serves as a decent Arceus-Electric check, poisoning it and resisting its boltbeam.

Team Options – basically gonna go like this; Zone wrecks steel type A, teammates B C D E like A being gone.

• Geo. Mancy. Xerneas. Kill its checks, preferably through double switching, then watch as it wipes out a team later on.
  • Things that really really really really really really REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY hate Klefki. No, that’s not too many reallys, because I really hate Klefki. Zone comes in on Twave for free and proceeds to wreck keys, who can’t poison it, twave it, or damage it in any way, and can just set up Spikes before dying. Kill Scizor with HP Fire, watch out for Superpower, come in for free on BP as it fires one at Xern. Ekiller appreciates this too. Every single sweeper that despises Prankster Twave, e.g. Mega Blaze, loves Keys being gone. You can lure keys out with something like mega blaze, in comes Zone on twave that opponent needs to use to not get wrecked – and then they get wrecked later on because sweeper can't be paralyzed anymore :] :]
  • Ferrothorn – Kyogre, Palkia and Zekrom, as well as various Arceus, despise the durian and like Magnezone’s ability to make it go away – that way they can Spout/Spacial Rend/Defog/set up CM without fear of being Leech Seeded, have hazards set up on them, getting poisoned etc.
  • Skarmory isn’t common anymore but you can still wreck it with anything you like – you can even kill it whilst leaving the field with VSwitch :).
  • Forretress can eat HP Fire and not be able to spin/set up hazards/be annoying by absorbing physical dragon moves.
  • That is literally it.

OO:

There’s nothing viable in here. HP Ice for landorus (no, you need HP Fire). SubCharge (just no). Kaboom (is hilarious but besides that no). Sturdy for taking a hit from full health cause people see magnezone and automatically assume magnet pull cause why would you run anything else. Same goes for Analytic… just no. Screens… no. Twave….. Ground Types coming in to EQ you are immune, poison them or just wear Specs. I guess it’d be nice to catch Kyogre/Palkia on the switchin, but why not VSwitch out of them instead? oh and the things you should be staying in on can't switch out anyway.

C&C

Ground Types
Everything faster that can hit it hard - basically everything it's not trapping
Shed Shell Steel-Types (lol)
did i mention Ground Types
anything that has EQ
Fire Blasting Dragons
Hydro Pumping Dragons
V-Creating Dragons
Blue Flaring Dragons
Zekrom (x4 resists Electric, although to be fair Zone resists Zekrom's dual STAB)

PISTOLERO

I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him.
Plz insult this mon and me as much as possible, I'm just curious as to what people think. I trialled it on the ladder and it allows geoxern to wreck teams that rely on Keys or Scizor to stop the reindeer. again, as many insults as you like :)

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This actually seems kinda cool, I think I'll try ladder trolling with it since many teams on there literally just have Keys or Scizor to stop Xern from 6-0ing. As for viability it is very niche, and the ability to beat Skarmory isn't very useful as not many people are using it. While Scizor is still out there quite a bit, it may see usage drop in the future as it isn't the best Defogger and doesn't check Xern and EKiller very well to begin with since most people have been running HP Fire / Overheat. The ability to beat Klefki is welcome in this meta, but that seems like all it can really do (I guess it also beats Ferro and Forry too), meaning that if your opponent isn't using something that Magnezone can trap then it is dead weight. This thing dies to a lot of stuff, and worse is that you are basically forced to run at least 128 speed to beat 0 Speed Scizor. I don't know, I'll try it out and get back to you on what I think, although Sweep will have no trouble reaching #1 with it.

Blue Jay

The notorious Good Wife
is a Contributor Alumnus
My main problem here is that there are good Geomancy Xerneas checks that this is completely useless against (Poison Arceus, and to some degree Lugia and Specially Defensive Kyogre), not to mention some more niche ones. It has to watch out for Superpower variants of Scizor as it can't switch into them. U-turn variants are also a problem, as those can play around Magnet Pull. Aegislash, of course, also cannot be trapped. Moreover, Klefki and Mega Scizor don't necessarily need to switch directly into Xerneas to check it; Scizor is often only used to revenge kill it after it has taken damage setting up, and both it and Klefki avoid being played until Xerneas has already set up and the Power Herb is gone (admittedly forcing an opponent not to use a Pokemon is annoying, but in exchange you have a Magnezone). Also, if you remove Klefki using Magnezone, your opponent will likely get 3 layers of Spikes, in addition to a possible Stealth Rock. In the kind of offensive team that Klefki would likely be found in, it shouldn't be too difficult to pressure a 63.5% HP Xerneas and prevent it from setting up (after all, those teams are supposed to have something that can KO Xerneas once it's been paralysed by Klefki), and even if it manages to set up with a sliver of health, any priority (again common on offensive Klefki teams) would still prevent a sweep. On the other hand, teams rely on Scizor to Pursuit-trap Gengar carry secondary Xerneas checks out of necessity.

Even this niche is questionable. Gothitelle and Mega Gengar can both trap and remove Klefki with their standard sets (although Mega Gengar will be useless after it, but Magnezone is usually useless apart from its Steel-trapping anyway), and a niche limited to removing 1 Pokemon that nothing else can is too narrow (and Mega Gengar can try to run HP Fire and remove Mega Scizor).

And then there's very little utility otherwise. It has the typing to annoy Zekrom, but struggles to hurt it at all. The typing is also excellent for checking Electric Arceus with Toxic. Any further utility is quite limited though, due to its mostly poor stats. The little other utility it could find is also offset by the extreme vulnerability to effectively all major metagame threats.

QC Rejected: 1/3

Melee Mewtwo: 2/3

Fireburn: 3/3

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)