Gen 3 Magneton Hyperoffence

Hey, pretty new to competitive pokemon and ADV OU has so far been my favourite metagame by a lot. I've just been using sample teams the last couple weeks but decided to try and build one myself. Let me know what you think!

Metagross @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Explosion
- Agility

I have Metagross in the lead off spot because he's easy to pivot off but can also set up to spam Meteor Mash if I need, given I don't have other ways of forcing switches. Explosion is there to take out opposing Meta or Mag as a second ko primarily.

Magneton @ Leftovers
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA
- Thunder
- Thunder Wave
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Rain Dance

Magneton is set up to take out Skarm ASAP so the rest of the team doesn't get bodied by spikes. I went with Thunder/RD instead of TBolt because the other slot wasn't really needed for anything and the bulkiest Skarms are often two hits anyway, but RD has added utility by minimising chip from Sand Stream. HP grass is for Swampert coverage.

Snorlax @ Leftovers
Ability: Immunity
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Rest
- Return
- Hidden Power [Bug]

Curselax is enabled by Mag and PursuitTar in order to get rid of Skarm and Gengar, and then he can just do curselax things and hopefully take out opposing Tar or Zap to enable Gyara.

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 68 HP / 252 Atk / 188 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Earthquake
- Taunt

DD Gyara is for late game cleanup after all of its checks have been dealt with, between HP Fly and EQ it should be able to handle the back half of most teams if it can setup.

Claydol @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Psychic
- Explosion

Claydol is primarily for spin/splode but also has stab Psychic and EQ for backup options against Mag and Gengar.

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Ice Beam
- Taunt

Pursuit and Crunch to trap Gengar and Ice Beam is there for coverage against Salamence because Fire Blast isn't really needed given the coverage the rest of the team has.

Thoughts? I'm sure there's ways that this team can be improved but so far I've been having fun with it. Thanks!

Last edited:

Cdijk16

Cdijk21 on PS!
is a Pre-Contributor
I like this team, but there's a few sets here that could be improved.
1. Run Thunderbolt over Thunder on Magneton and replace Leftovers with Magnet. That way, you have a 75% chance to 0hko Skarmory, which is higher than Thunder's 70% chance(accounting for accuracy). Plus, even if you don't 0hko it, you still damage it heavily 100% of the time. (whereas if Thunder misses your whole gameplan gets messed up as Skarm is still healthy).
2. Taunt is unnecessary on Gyarados since you have Magneton. The main purpose of Taunt Gyarados is to beat Skarm 1v1, but Mag removes Skarm anyways, so Taunt is somewhat redundant. Run Double Edge here instead to hit Zapdos hard(and ko if it's weakened) and 0hko OffMie at +1.
3. I'm not sure Claydol is the optimal pick here, you may want a Sub Salac Heracross instead. It benefits greatly from the Mag + Weather clear support and provides your team with a lot more offensive firepower. This is a change i'm a bit unsure about though, test it out and see if you like it.
Claydol has some merit as well though, it provides Spin support for Lax, helps vs some Zapdos and provides spin support vs Lax.
4. Run Brick Break on Tyranitar(with a Quiet nature) to 2hko opposing DD Tar and prevent it from getting to +2/+2.
5.Since this is an offense team, you may want a more aggressive Snorlax set. I'm a bit iffy on this change since this team has weather clear + spin support though. Test it and see if you like it more.
Snorlax @ Leftovers
EVs: 24 HP / 176 Atk / 124 Def / 184 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Curse
- Shadow Ball
- Earthquake
- Self-Destruct
I feel like Curse + Rest Lax isn't a very good fit for a Hyper Offense team because it loses a lot of momentum while it's resting. I feel like offensive Self-Destruct sets may be more suited for an aggressive team like this.
6. If you do keep Curse Rest Lax, keep Claydol as well. They make for a fantastic pairing and destroy passive Balances really well. Run this EV spread for reasons stated here: Snorlax | RS | Smogon Strategy Pokedex .
Snorlax @ Leftovers
EVs: 144 HP / 96 Atk / 132 Def / 136 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Rest
- Return
- Hidden Power [Bug]
Have fun on the ADV ladder!

Hey, thanks for the detailed writeup.

I actually completely forgot magnet was an item which could be part of why I was having trouble getting the 0hko on Skarm with Tbolt lol, I've gotta start using the damage calculator it seems. A more aggressive Snorlax set is probably going to help a lot, after getting a bit higher up on the ladder and playing some teams that can deal with him I've found that he is stopping my momentum too much. I thought maybe one mon with some staying power might be a good anchor but I think being able to do damage and then trade with SD will suit my team more. Heracross is a good shout, I'll have to play around with that and see what I can do with it but thinking about playing without a spinner gives me a little anxiety haha. Double Edge is also definitely going to be better on Gyara, but I'm curious whether you think Brick Break should replace Crunch or Taunt on Tar? I'll probably give both a shot but it seems like you know what you're doing.

Thanks again!

Cdijk16

Cdijk21 on PS!
is a Pre-Contributor
Hey, thanks for the detailed writeup.

I actually completely forgot magnet was an item which could be part of why I was having trouble getting the 0hko on Skarm with Tbolt lol, I've gotta start using the damage calculator it seems. A more aggressive Snorlax set is probably going to help a lot, after getting a bit higher up on the ladder and playing some teams that can deal with him I've found that he is stopping my momentum too much. I thought maybe one mon with some staying power might be a good anchor but I think being able to do damage and then trade with SD will suit my team more. Heracross is a good shout, I'll have to play around with that and see what I can do with it but thinking about playing without a spinner gives me a little anxiety haha. Double Edge is also definitely going to be better on Gyara, but I'm curious whether you think Brick Break should replace Crunch or Taunt on Tar? I'll probably give both a shot but it seems like you know what you're doing.

Thanks again!
Brick Break over Taunt all the way. Crunch is neccessary for Gengar. (some Gengars like to predict pursuit and stay in) Taunt doesn't offer much utility for a slow Quiet natured Tyranitar. The usual purpose of Taunt Tyranitar is to stop Skarmory from getting spikes on it, but that's redundant here as you have Magneton(and your Tar is slower anyways).

Hey, pretty new to competitive pokemon and ADV OU has so far been my favourite metagame by a lot. I've just been using sample teams the last couple weeks but decided to try and build one myself. Let me know what you think!

Metagross @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Explosion
- Agility

I have Metagross in the lead off spot because he's easy to pivot off but can also set up to spam Meteor Mash if I need, given I don't have other ways of forcing switches. Explosion is there to take out opposing Meta or Mag as a second ko primarily.

Magneton @ Leftovers
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA
- Thunder
- Thunder Wave
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Rain Dance

Magneton is set up to take out Skarm ASAP so the rest of the team doesn't get bodied by spikes. I went with Thunder/RD instead of TBolt because the other slot wasn't really needed for anything and the bulkiest Skarms are often two hits anyway, but RD has added utility by minimising chip from Sand Stream. HP grass is for Swampert coverage.

Snorlax @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Rest
- Return
- Hidden Power [Bug]

Curselax is enabled by Mag and PursuitTar in order to get rid of Skarm and Gengar, and then he can just do curselax things and hopefully take out opposing Tar or Zap to enable Gyara.

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 68 HP / 252 Atk / 188 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Earthquake
- Taunt

DD Gyara is for late game cleanup after all of its checks have been dealt with, between HP Fly and EQ it should be able to handle the back half of most teams if it can setup.

Claydol @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Psychic
- Explosion

Claydol is primarily for spin/splode but also has stab Psychic and EQ for backup options against Mag and Gengar.

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Ice Beam
- Taunt

Pursuit and Crunch to trap Gengar and Ice Beam is there for coverage against Salamence because Fire Blast isn't really needed given the coverage the rest of the team has.

Thoughts? I'm sure there's ways that this team can be improved but so far I've been having fun with it. Thanks!
simple but effective idea, but the zap/ mence/ jolt or any electric mu looks really iffy bro. def fix that

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)