Ludicolo

Overview
########

• Not shit, I promise
  • Relatively effective Rain abuser
  • Great defensive typing and solid coverage
  • Did I forget to mention it can check/counter Kyogre?
  • Usable special bulk
  • Very difficult to use stalling sets due to lack of perma-rain
  • More priority -_-
  • Ygod exploits Ludicolo's Flying weakness

SubSeed (courtesy of polop)
########
name: Kyogre Slayer
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Leech Seed
move 3: Protect
move 4: Scald / Grass Knot / Giga Drain / Hydro Pump / Toxic
ability: Rain Dish
item: Leftovers
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
nature: Calm

Moves
========

• SubSeed + Rain Dish + Protect= immortality
  • Scald can cover Ludicolo's sub-par physical bulk and burns can rack up resid extremely fast
  • GK can beat Ogre and bulky Waters quicker
  • Giga Drain is total overkill recovery
  • HPump is just a rain abuse move
  • Toxic can outstall walls like Blissey and Grassceus, in addition to crippling possible Defoggers

Set Details
========

• Max HP max SpD with Calm lets Ludicolo become an effective rain staller

Usage Tips
========

• Kill all the Kyogres!
  • Don't get Toxic'd
  • Protect can scout out coverage moves, in addition to taking minimal damage from opposing attacks
  • Try to have Rain up as long as possible, but it isn't truly necessary unless you like having a ton of recovery

Team Options
========

• Rain setters (copypaste from Swift Swim)
  • Clerics (physically defensive Xern)
  • Hazard setters (copypaste from Swift Swim)
  • Things that like Kyogre dead (almost anything that doesn't like getting hit by Water-type moves in Rain)
  • Klefki

Other Options
########

• Scald
  • Surf
  • Swords Dance
  • that's it

Checks and Counters
########
  • Groudon, Ttar, Hippowdown (cancel rain :P)
  • Giratina
  • Rayquaza
  • Grassceus
  • Ygod
  • Revenge Killers (when rain is not up)
  • Flyceus (yes i know its below rking)

Last edited:
Nah, I'm waiting until we accept (if we) the usual swift swimmers before we do this one. SubSeed slightly better, so I won't reject just yet. But yeah keep the sweeper set off for now.

PISTOLERO

I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him.
Some fun things Ludicolo(l) can do is:

+2 252+ SpA Fairy Aura Xerneas Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Ludicolo: 331-390 (90.9 - 107.1%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO (yay)

+2 252+ SpA Xerneas Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Ludicolo: 259-305 (71.1 - 83.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (yay)

although what can it really do back...?

it can also do this:

252 SpA Lustrous Orb Palkia Spacial Rend vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Ludicolo: 157-186 (43.1 - 51%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Palkia Thunder vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Ludicolo: 96-114 (26.3 - 31.3%) -- 19% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery (everything else that isn't Spacial Rend is pathetic as well)

but then again Toxic on Palkia is fun, so....

interestingly Ludicolo learns Synthesis but rain + Synthesis = no pls

im struggling to see what Ludicolo can do in this tier that Palkia can't to be honest, besides being an annoying bitch with Leech Seed etc, and Palkia can throw around Thunder Wave and Toxic to also be a pain... yeah Palkia is better unless you're running full stall (and even then, Palkia is better, no?)

apart from checking/countering Kyogre, I think Ludicolo is kindof dead weight most of the time (is Swift Swim good anymore?). But then again, Gastrodon (Gen V), Jynx (gen V), Quagsire (Gen IV) and Ludicolo (Gen IV and V) have all gotten analyses for the tier pretty much due to the fact that they can irritate Kyogre, and this gen Pokemon are getting analyses due to their Xerneas fighting capabilities :)

Toxic plz for stupid Ho-Oh/Yveltal (who can hit you with Hurricane in rain, yay) switchins, as well as to infuriate Support Arceus who dislike Leech Seed as well

4 SpA Whatever Plate Arceus-HitsLudicoloNeutrally Judgment vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Ludicolo: 109-130 (29.9 - 35.7%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

so with Leech Seed and Toxic, you can offset possible Will-O-Wisp damage and piss supportceus off to no end

Last edited:
interestingly Ludicolo learns Synthesis but rain + Synthesis = no pls
Well, there's an option if you want to use Ludicolo on weatherless team (mostly stall/balance of course) in case you struggle against Kyogre and need additional back-up Palkia check just in case (if you switch on Kyogre and his rain, just rely on Leftovers + Rain Dish). You also should be able to somewhat check Water Arceus as well and ironically Groudon as you get whooping 75% recovery with Synthesis in sun and you resist his Earthquake (also none of his other attacks hit you for SE damage). While it may indeed sound idiotic to use Synthesis on Pokemon with Rain Dish, I don't think it's as bad as it sounds.

Let's look at it this way. Is Rain Dish really reliable enough now to even bother with it (like abusing Protect for additional recovery) ? 8 turns is really short amount of time, especially on a Pokemon which is supposed to stall for x amounts of turns. You won't make much use of it. And somewhat reliable recovery is something that Palkia doesn't have access to (Rest has some nasty drawbacks). Even if you switch on Rain, you still heal for 25% of hp. If you add in Leftovers and Rain Dish, it's still solid additional 12%. If you throw in Leech Seed as well, it's another 12%. In other words it's 49% of recovery anyway (because well it's still your main job to check Kyogre with his Rain) and outside of Rain (Leech Seed + Synthesis + Leftovers) 68% recovery, which is more than good enough. While I'm still not a huge fan of it, if it is the ONLY reason so it's not outclassed by Palkia, I would slash it in. With all this passive recovery, it should still be able to check Kyogre even with weaker Synthesis and it still has good use outside of rain as instant recovery is something that Palkia is lacking. While we also have some problems here with 4MMS, I would throw out Protect in this case as you need Substitute against status.

Just my two cents. I hope it sounds convincing.

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
  • Toxic can outstall walls like Blissey
Did Natural Cure and Heal Bell stop existing?

Seriously though this mon looks very fun to use, I don't know about viability though. I guess it has a small niche taking on Kyogre, although I think even shit mons like Gastro do this a little better since Thunder and Spout immune. I guess if a mon sucks in XY Ubers just slap some Toxic on it and suddenly it's decent.

What does Ludi do that Palkia doesn't? What does Ludi do that Gastrodon doesn't? If this thing doesn't do anything besides check Kyogre then it's not viable enough for an analysis.

-MM2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)