Little things you like about Pokémon

You mention Fly, but it's the earlier Surf that I appreciate the most in that regard. The Gen 5 games had the extremely bizarre decision of making the Fishing Rod a post-game only item, and I feel like it kinda hampered the distribution of Water-Types throughout the region, where a huge part of them were only accessible after you got the Surf HM, which, in BW1's case, was only available quite late into the game, just before the pre-Gym 7 dungeon. BW2 brings it to a significantly earlier location, right after Gym 5, and it helps quite a bit in making all these Water-Types more accessible
Yeah earlier Surf is also awesome. BW1 was weird with its Surf placement.

On the subject of Kanto pandering, I enjoy when it goes beyond the standard Pikachu/Eevee/Charizard trio. Shoutouts to some of the G-Max recipients: The other two starters; Lapras; Butterfree; Kingler? (This has been your reminder that G-Max Kingler exists.) Alolan forms for Marowak and Sandslash and Golem and Raichu, Mega Beedrill...that's the Gen I nostalgia I like to see.

Ransei

Garde Mystik
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
In Gen 5 players were able to travel into another player's world through Entralink if they were connected together. This was exclusive to Pokemon Black and White (not present in Black 2 White 2). There wasn't much a player could do in someone else's game but it felt really cool being able to travel around there and spot the other player doing stuff.

This was also a preview to the idea of Pokemon having a multiverse before it was later confirmed by Zinnia in Gen 6.

In Gen 5 players were able to travel into another player's world through Entralink if they were connected together. This was exclusive to Pokemon Black and White (not present in Black 2 White 2). There wasn't much a player could do in someone else's game but it felt really cool being able to travel around there and spot the other player doing stuff.

This was also a preview to the idea of Pokemon having a multiverse before it was later confirmed by Zinnia in Gen 6.
It's funny how this was sorta-made a thing in gen 8 wild area.
Outside of the bad FPS drops cause GameFreaks really isn't proficent in this yet, there is some sort of fashion in watching (a lot of) other players going around doing their business.
Assuming they manage to remove the horrible FPS drops, I wish to see more of this in the future.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor

It's sad that you were never able to visit another player's Join Avenue or Festival Plaza, a place you were able to customize with shops & services and each place having different levels & rankings depending on how often you use them. I felt it was a better successor to the Secret Bases which I never really got much out of due to the limitations they heaped on Secret Bases. I think GF should try an Animal Crossing town idea where the player is allowed to customize their home town and able to invite other players to explore it. You'd decide what shops, services, & attractions are on offer and where everything is placed like buildings, decorations, & people (both NPCs and Trainers). It would be a bit more complex than Join Avenue/Festival Plaza but still more simple than Secret Bases.

I have to see what this looks like.

OH MY GOD IT'S ADORABLE IT'S GOT A TIE
its precious i must own this

On the subject of Kanto pandering, I enjoy when it goes beyond the standard Pikachu/Eevee/Charizard trio. Shoutouts to some of the G-Max recipients: The other two starters; Lapras; Butterfree; Kingler? (This has been your reminder that G-Max Kingler exists.) Alolan forms for Marowak and Sandslash and Golem and Raichu, Mega Beedrill...that's the Gen I nostalgia I like to see.
on the topic of nostalgia, i wanna see some more gen 2 stuff, thats probably my favorite gen

I liked it when the retro music player wasn't locked behind 16 badges for arbitrary reasons.

oh wait

In all seriousness, I think BW2 is the best game in the series for how much QOL stuff there is and there are SO many Disc One Nukes.

I love how you get Fly early, I love reusable Repel, I love downplayed tutorials it’s all so good without ENTIRELY holding your hand, It respects your time.
still a cool feature though

MOD EDIT: Triple post merged

Last edited by a moderator:
Garchomp and Metagross got new dex entries that actually acknowledge that they're found in the Crown Tundra.
Shield: Garchomp is fast both underground and above. It can bring down prey and return to its den before its body has chilled from being outside.
Sword: Because the magnetic powers of these Pokémon get stronger in freezing temperatures, Metagross living on snowy mountains are full of energy.

Garchomp and Metagross got new dex entries that actually acknowledge that they're found in the Crown Tundra.
Interestingly, while this is the first time the dex makes note of it, the Beldum line has been previously shown in cold areas in addition to the expected spots for Steel and/or Psychic types (Giant Chasm in Unova was the only previous area to have wild Metagross, the line appears in ice or sky dungeons in PMD)

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
So read through all of Peony's comments for Legendary Pokemon and here's a few notable things:
  • Thinks the normal Legendary Birds are the "imposters" we caught.
  • Has concluded that Kyogre is the mother of all life on earth (all life came from the seas & Kyogre the "mother" of the seas).
  • Peony's "grumpy old" neighbor's face resembles the Forces of Nature.
  • Points out Ho-Oh's missing a few colors for being the "Rainbow Pokemon" & Lugia is a Flying-type yet called guardian of the seas.
  • With Latias comments it has a "cute little face", challenges to read his mind, but then suddenly changes his mind saying that's a horrible idea. Hmm...
  • With Latios says he finds it hard to swollow it can understand human language (Peony then why are you talking to the Pokemon if you think they don't understand you?) and then suddenly tells it to be a good big brother to Latias.
  • After seeing Tapu Koko is thinking about getting a mohawk.
  • Thinks Tapu Lele is a young girl and its parents are worried about it.
  • Thinks Nihilego looks comfy and wants it to wrap around his head.
  • Thinks Kartana is just a piece of origami.
  • * Is concerned about a few Legendary Pokemon wouldn't be able to turn over in bed (Cresselia, Suicune, Xerneas, Naganadel)
Overall funny comments in general. Infact kind of disappointed he's the only character to do that, you'd think with a few scientists in there they would have one give your more informative insight on the Legendaries. Also Nia is just standing there, would be neat to hear her thoughts, maybe have her be interested in how the Legendaries would do in battle.

The series is always a little weird about "understanding human speech"
It comes up in a few different dex entries, usually as shorthand for "damn this thing's really smart"

I guess the intent is like how an animal can understand intent but doesnt understand actual speech? Like you tell a dog to stop biting something and it will eventually learn how to stop but it's not going to understand what the fuck you're talking about when asked how they're doing.

But even in the main series, its never really questioned that for the most part Pokemon do just straight up understand and comprehend human speech beyond basic commands.
It's a very goofy detail

The fact that Kyurem's dex entry in White 1 is literally just "It can produce ultracold air. Its body is frozen."

"GUYS IT'S A LEGENDARY, NOBODY WILL CARE ABOUT FLAVOR TEXT FOR IT!"

-some Game Freak developer in 2010, probably

Similarly, Shellos' HGSS/Y/AS entry:
"Its shape and coloration vary, depending on its habitat."

gotta love the brief ones!

TMan87

We shall bow to neither master nor god
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
With Latias comments it has a "cute little face", challenges to read his mind, but then suddenly changes his mind saying that's a horrible idea. Hmm...
Peony no.
Thinks Nihilego looks comfy and wants it to wrap around his head.
PEONY NO

The fact that Latios and Latias are canonically siblings is oddly heartwarming, though with a lot of Fridge Horror implications, like cataching one of the two in the Hoenn games/any game where they are version exclusive. What happens to the other sibling when you do?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
The fact that Latios and Latias are canonically siblings is oddly heartwarming, though with a lot of Fridge Horror implications, like cataching one of the two in the Hoenn games/any game where they are version exclusive. What happens to the other sibling when you do?
Maybe in games where you only encounter one the Eon Duo just went their own ways. Like it seems like they would stay in pairs, but if you think about it they would eventually have to split in order to find a mate (an unrelated Latias/Latios).

Uhm I think you read a bit too much in the "big brother" remark.

"Being a good big brother" doesn't necessarly mean that they are actually siblings, he's just asking him to treat the Latias like if it was her older brother.
Whenever they actually are or not siblings isn't actually implied.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 3, Guests: 2)