(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
The idea behind EVs is fine for stat customization, but the implementation is supremely awful like a lot of things in this franchise. IVs suck for a similar reason.

I'm not sure I like Snow as a replacement for Hail. The Defense buff is nice, but it no longer causes damage-over-time like Sand and doesn't provide any other extra benefits over the old weather. They could have thrown in a damage boost or kept the DoT. Feels like a lateral move.

The idea behind EVs is fine for stat customization, but the implementation is supremely awful like a lot of things in this franchise. IVs suck for a similar reason.

I'm not sure I like Snow as a replacement for Hail. The Defense buff is nice, but it no longer causes damage-over-time like Sand and doesn't provide any other extra benefits over the old weather. They could have thrown in a damage boost or kept the DoT. Feels like a lateral move.
Maybe the loss of damage was an oversight? SV currently lack Battle Boxes, which is why VGC right now currently has open team sheets. I find that really shocking since Battle Boxes were in every game since BW, and were very important for having both VGC and Official BattleSpot Competitions players keep the same teams to prevent cheating. I find it hard to believe that someone would overlook that in development.

The loss of damage was likely intentional.

They saw that hail was basically mostly used for aurora veil, and it doing damage was countersinergic with it. You use it to reduce damage but at same time take extra damage due to the weather.

They basically decided that in same fashion of how you would use grass types in rain to neuter their fire weakness, snow would let you play a screen comp without also taking damage on non-ice types.

BIG ASHLEY

ashley
is a Community Contributor
SV currently lack Battle Boxes, which is why VGC right now currently has open team sheets. I find that really shocking since Battle Boxes were in every game since BW, and were very important for having both VGC and Official BattleSpot Competitions players keep the same teams to prevent cheating. I find it hard to believe that someone would overlook that in development.
game freak and removing useful features...name a more iconic duo...

Maybe the loss of damage was an oversight? SV currently lack Battle Boxes, which is why VGC right now currently has open team sheets. I find that really shocking since Battle Boxes were in every game since BW, and were very important for having both VGC and Official BattleSpot Competitions players keep the same teams to prevent cheating. I find it hard to believe that someone would overlook that in development.
SV has "Battle Teams" which is what "Battle Boxes" turned into in Gen 7

The loss of damage was likely intentional.

They saw that hail was basically mostly used for aurora veil, and it doing damage was countersinergic with it. You use it to reduce damage but at same time take extra damage due to the weather.

They basically decided that in same fashion of how you would use grass types in rain to neuter their fire weakness, snow would let you play a screen comp without also taking damage on non-ice types.
The damage feels like it's part of the tradeoff of using Aurora Veil, though. You have this great move that reduces damage but it has to be used in conjunction with a weather that causes most Pokémon to take chip damage.

I don't like the loss of chip damage because instead of becoming a better analogue to Sand, Snow takes one of its aspects and removes another. It feels almost pointless most of the time; if an Ice-type or Pokémon with a Snow-triggered ability, or a Pokémon with Blizzard/Weather Ball/Synthesis (etc). isn't on the field, it does nothing. Ice is a pretty uncommon type, the affected abilities are pretty much entirely isolated to Ice-types already, and Blizzard/Weather Ball are really only used on weather builds. It's just kind of bland now.

A few things like:

EV training: spending hours and hours maximizing your pokemons stats and sometimes losing track of how many pokemon you've already koed.

Also your storage being limited to only a few hundred or thousand mons

The damage feels like it's part of the tradeoff of using Aurora Veil, though. You have this great move that reduces damage but it has to be used in conjunction with a weather that causes most Pokémon to take chip damage.

I don't like the loss of chip damage because instead of becoming a better analogue to Sand, Snow takes one of its aspects and removes another. It feels almost pointless most of the time; if an Ice-type or Pokémon with a Snow-triggered ability, or a Pokémon with Blizzard/Weather Ball/Synthesis (etc). isn't on the field, it does nothing. Ice is a pretty uncommon type, the affected abilities are pretty much entirely isolated to Ice-types already, and Blizzard/Weather Ball are really only used on weather builds. It's just kind of bland now.
I honestly feel like snow should've been a separate weather like MD
With being able to slow down water, dragon, and flying types (that aren't part ice or thick fat), while speeding up ice types
And hail can buff ice defenses along with chip

Granted Hail will still have issues with only helping 1 type, so ^shrug^

Castersvarog

formerly Maronmario

I also wouldn’t be surprised if it was done to help with team building. Sand teams always have had Rock, Ground and Steel types to fall back on in their team building to avoid the chip damage, which allows for a lot of different choices and dual types to cover more weaknesses.
Meanwhile hail almost pigeonholes team building into only really using Ice types, which means a lot of overlap with weaknesses. So if you want to use anything else you need to use safety goggles to not be constantly damaged by hail. But that in turn now comes at the cost of something more ‘useful’ like a Choice item or Life orb.

Last edited:
I don't really see the complaint honestly.

They turned Snow in a purely defensive weather, which either allows you to use Aurora Veil to bolster your teams, have your Ice types benefit from increased Defense to patch up their weak typing (similarly to Sand patching up rock's), with the added benefit of 100% blizzard and the few Slush Rushers / Ice body sinegy (which ALSO benefit from the extra defense allowing them higher staying power).

Basically actually made snow something considering building around, rather than "oh i guess i'll use A-ninetales for aurora veil and deal with the chip damage". The only reason Slush Rush ever saw play was cause Arctozolt has Bolt Beak, otherwise it'd still just be A-veil and that's it.

This kind of complaints is why we can't have nice things really :P They turned a weather from "well why would you ever run this" to "actually there are benefits in running this" and somehow we still hate it. Let's go back to "chip damage with no benefits" shall we :)

I don't really see the complaint honestly.

They turned Snow in a purely defensive weather,
There's your problem. Ice really struggles to find its identity when it keeps getting defensively pushed despite the type itself leaning massively towards offense. So Ice's field condition being purely defensive can be seen as yet another instance of trying to make a bad idea work instead of adjusting Hail in a way that plays to Ice's strengths.

Ice really struggles to find its identity when it keeps getting defensively pushed despite the type itself leaning massively towards offense.
This entirely. They insist on making Ice look defensive when it's the most Glass Cannon of all types. The only offensive boost Ice-types get from Snow is an always-accurate Blizzard.

There's your problem. Ice really struggles to find its identity when it keeps getting defensively pushed despite the type itself leaning massively towards offense. So Ice's field condition being purely defensive can be seen as yet another instance of trying to make a bad idea work instead of adjusting Hail in a way that plays to Ice's strengths.
This entirely. They insist on making Ice look defensive when it's the most Glass Cannon of all types. The only offensive boost Ice-types get from Snow is an always-accurate Blizzard.
Incorrect. This variation actually helps sweepers. In same way people use Rain to patch up Ferrothorn or Scizor's weakness, in same way you are now able to use Snow to allow Slush Rushers to setup more safely.

It's perfect? No.

But is it sinergic? Actually yes.

Sure if you are trying to just use it to make Avalugg tankier it's kinda pointless, but if your plan is to let your poor defensive typing Arctozolt / Arctovish / Beartic / Cetitan / insert whatever future slush rusher happens, now, that is actually beneficial, as instead of being out by a single supereffective hit, they can now tank it, retaliate and sweep from there.
After all, most of the time the issue weather sweepers have is actually getting in safely.

So i reiterate my point: changing snow into a defensive buff *with benefits* is way more sinergic to the offensive glass cannony ice types than anything they have done so far.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Figuring out where I last left off, I came across this:
Test Or Strength?
I do not believe its ever specifically been said that Gym Leaders use specific teams based on the number of Badges a trainer has. The ONLY instance of this concept in any canon is the anime special Pokemon Origins. (...)

Otherwise, it's never really said, only implied because as we get later and later it's the only explanation that makes sense.

(Goes through the gens explaining how the Gym Leader have shown they had stronger Pokemon yet still never outright said they use different teams based on number of Badges)

And in a few days Gen 9 will now be adding a new page to all this. They're letting us challenge the Gyms in any order. How is that going to work? Are we going to see different teams? Will it be the same team but they're composed in a way they fit no matter when you battel them (big DOUBT on this from what we know about one Gym Leader's team)? Will Levels change or there be additional rules which change how Levels work? Or will there be an implied order but, if you want, you can just skip over some (and then come back to completely sweep them later... somehow I don't think this will be the case). And, if there is some kind of team changes based on the order of when the player challenge them, will they finally say that Gym Leaders adjust their teams based on the # of Badges? 7 more days.
WELL! We now have some answers, including to the BIG ONE!

So, how did Gen 9 handle its Gym Leaders? There's still a set order, no level scaling, and you can perfectly skip over some and go back to steamroll (as I accidentally found out by challenging the 7th Gym Leader as my fourth!). Oh past, you were so naive to put so much trust into GF.

But back to the big question, well, like previous gens, there is a moment in Gen 9 when we go back to re-challenge the Gym Leaders. After becoming Champion, Nemona wants to hold a battle tournament for the school and wants Top Champion Geeta to be a part of it (as she's not only the chairwoman of the Pokemon League but also a Board Member of the Academy). Geeta of course is very busy, but Nemona says she'll handle the nitty-gritty of organizing the tournament while the player can take Geeta's most time demanding task: the annual Gym Leader Reassessment. The player goes around to all the Gym Leaders and battles them again, this time them using teams as strong as the Elite Four. And that's when it's FINALLY said, via the Pastry Baker & Bug-type Gym Leader Katy when you challenge her:

"How many Gyms had you been to when you first came here to mine? Was it your first? The Cortondo Gym is close to the academy, so many young Trainers just starting out like to come here first. With that in mind, La Primera asks me to go soft on Trainers–like a nice sponge cake. I feel sad for my sweet little bugs, though, since that means they quite often lose their battles. Hehe. But opportunities like this get me excited because I can finally show my true skill."

So, at least in Paldea but I imagine its the same for other region's Pokemon Leagues, Gym Leaders are requested to use weaker teams against trainers taking the Pokemon League challenge. Now, there doesn't seem to be a "set" scale of how weak/strong their Pokemon should be, Katy's team will always be Level 14-15 if you challenge her first or last. Same for all Paldea Gym Leaders, seems like some are more willing to use weaker teams than others, likely depending on the approximate distance when the Academy and their Gym (except for Tulip cause she's a b****).

Mystery solved... wait, this is the Annoyance thread not the Mystery/Conspiracy thread, um... Mystery solved BUT it's annoying how in Scarlet & Violet, games advertised to be open world and how you can challenge the Gym Leaders in any order, that there is infact a set order but you can skip around it if you feel inclined. Because they couldn't be bothered to make like 3 or 4 teams for each Gym Leader and have the Pokemon increase in Level depending on the # of League Badges...

I thought they'd finally do something unique with Dugtrio by making it a Water/Dragon or something, or even forgoing the trio concept altogether (maybe the Wiglett's that evolved from Diglett decided that it would be better to only have one head as their evolution, or maybe two, larger heads?). Aaaand then we get red reskin of Dugtrio that's attached to a rock instead of the ground.
Remember in-lore the Wiglett family has no relation to the Diglett family, which only makes them giving the Wiglett family the same stats and evo concept even more annoying. Regional Variants being similar? Fine, they're subspecies, makes sense they would share similar stats. But this is an example of convergent evolution, sure it starts out the "same" but notable differences should make it clear they are different from one another.

Scovillian is such a shit mon and concept. Instead they could hav given sunflora a cross evolution with was a grass/fire type on evolution but no
I like the Grass/Fire Chili Pepper idea... I just don't get the rest. Why a pseudo-dinosaur (before you point out Shroomish, it has an odd defense why it has a pseudo-dinosaur theme as in addition to being a mushroom is also resembles an egg in a nest)? Why a comedy/tragedy mask reference? Why even have two heads, referencing mild and spicy peppers, when you're just going to completely focus on the spicy?

Though, there's nothing saying Sunflora still can't get an evolution in the future now that they're doing cross evolutions again.

I remember someone saying something similar about the Gen 8 starters, how they look more like hyper-stylised individuals than species that could function in an ecosystem.
Sadly Meowscarada & Quaquaval aren't any better, though I think Skeledirge at least in its base design escapes this for the most part (not so much doing its Signature Move).

I think the only reason Toxel is a baby pokemon is because it is explicitly a baby by conceptual design. Like it crawls around and throws tantrums as animations and everything.
I don't know why they made it a baby-baby but it clearly tickled gamefreak enough.
And then we get Tinkatink who isn't considered a baby even though it's essentially using a rattle. :blobthinking:

I mean, it (Toxtricity) should have been a shillmon (and unlike the likes of Lucario or Zoroark, it actually looks good...) but the amount of exposure it got through all different official media is a far cry from what one would call a shillmon. Not to mention it went completely unrevealed before release.
I think what ScraftyIsTheBest meant that it has the hallmarks of a "shillmon", but for whatever reason GF either stepped back from doing the actual marketing/publicity of it. Curious if it maybe has to do with how Gen 8's marketing pulled back on the reveals which Gen 7 was hugely criticized for (which Gen 8 must have received positive comments from as Gen 9 followed the same formula; less reveals, some bits of viral promotion for one Pokemon).

Pokemon Colosseum being the only game in the series to have no way of obtaining extra Pokemon. I'm importing some Pokemon atm both to use in the Battle Mode and also as a method of safe storage (the GCN games are fortresses compared to ever-aging GBA carts) and the fact that you're limited to the 48 snagged mons and the four non-Shadow species is a complete headache. The only way to fill the remaining 38 box spaces (and 6 party slots) is to import dozens of Nincada, evolve them, and trade the resulting Ninjask and Shedinja back, which is time-consuming and extremely laborious.
Why not use the Box RS to store your Pokemon?
In all seriousness, while Scarlet and Violet might be in my opinion the best game in the series, the title screen is easily the worst in the series. And yes, I'm pretty sure I did beat the game before I realized the title screen had music.
... the title screen has music? *Checks game and, indeed, there is* I swear that wasn't there before, also I don't think there was ever a crowd cheer either.

*Checks Youtube*

IT'S A POST GAME REWARD?! Okay, so apparently, before beating the game, you only hear the background noise of inside a classroom. Once you beat the game, that's when you get the title music! But as DrumstickGaming says, they still have the classroom noises playing. BUT THAT'S NOT TECHNICALLY TRUE! There is still classroom noises, BUT there is some additional noises on top of that such as a crowd cheering when the music starts up (I can't find any Youtube video of this).

And about the title screen itself. Yeah, as is, pretty bad. BUT I don't think just having the Version Legendary instead would improve things. Well, it would be better what we have now, but it would still be boring. What they should have done was having the Title Screen background & music be based on the location you last saved:
  • Saved in the School, you get this background and the school music.
  • Saved in a town/city, get an image of it and the music that plays there.
  • If you're somewhere in the wild, the image will be based on where you are, meanwhile the music will just be the overworld music for that province.
  • And they could maybe throw in some extra ones for fun: Pokemon Centers could have their own image & music, the Team Star bases each have their own image depending who's base you're at and the general Team Star encounter theme, and of course Area 0 (maybe have a few images based on if you're in the wilderness area, crystal caves, or the time machine).
THEN, as the post game reward, you can select to have a specific location's image & theme be static until you choose another (or have it be based on where you saved, or maybe throw in a random option).

I also think it's reasonable that the Pokedex would lack data on them because depending on the timespan between present and the Paradoxes' native eras (and they could even come from several different points therein), there probably isn't a lot to go on for non-speculative info besides the odd sighting like the Titan Donphan.
Surely the Paradox obsessed Professor would have written notes about their behaviors, especially if there goal was to have the Paradox Pokemon live in peace in modern times. Like, for one thing, it can be explained why they were given their codenames. What's so special about Scream Tail's scream you named it after it, also that "tail" looks more like a long sash of hair. It's pretty odd Slither Wing slithers around despite having wings, why does it have wings if it cannot fly? What about Sandy Shocks is "sandy"? Does Roaring Moon roar at the moon, is that really the trait which stands out about it? Oh all the things you could have called Iron Jugulis, it was named after its necks (I'd be more focused on the fanged maws on the necks personally, Iron Jaws)? Thorns is a pretty specific term, usually referring to plant thorns, and Iron Thorns isn't Grass-type, why not Iron Spikes if that's the big trait?

I could make up some descriptions. Heck, I already made up proper names and Categories (they're all categorized as Paradox Pokemon, really?) for them I plan on showing later when I look through all the new Pokemon after going through the game's story on the Scarlet & Violet thread.

The layout of the regions has been odd for a while and I'm kind of just now noticing it. Specifically, why did they start running you into an extremely large city right out the gate?
Mesagoza really could have done with a Cab Service like Lumiose City. The map doesn't show you elevation or where come places connect or don't, which means you can follow a path going to a specific shop and end up on a side of it which you can't access it so you have to fine another way around.

I personally really liked having a big place to explore, especially once I could ride my 'Raidon and jump to rooftops (I think I explored it fully though now that I have all the upgrades guess it doesn't hurt to check it all over again). But I can see how it can be overwhelming for either new players or players who just want to get a move on.

Well Toby Fox from what I read in at least one interview got along with the Game Freak people fine, so I don’t think it’s a royalty dispute.
To be clear I'm not saying GameFreak would necessarily have an issue with it nor would Toby Fox have an issue with it but, if this would ever be an issue, someone in the production process would probably go "BUT OUR MONEY!" at it.
I would feel Fox's work would have been commissioned, thus already paid for and fully owned by GF.
Like, maybe the Battle Tower music in SwSh might not be owned by GF, being its based on a previous song he made. But as said they could just exclude that song from the official soundtrack.

Any discussion about fixing Electivire probably should take into account how it was designed to parallel Magmortar
Still waiting for that Jynx evo.

On the subject of Dark types, all wild Dark types in gen II were nocturnal (Tyranitar is the only one that isn't nocturnal and has zero references to night), and the type was represented by a crescent moon in the TCG. (...)

So, going from 5/6 Dark types being nocturnal or otherwise connected to nighttime, Pokémon is currently at maybe 12-13 out of 83. So like, it's kinda weird for the type to utilize that motif as a common icon or defining feature. (...) The icon has been changed to...I think it's supposed to be an evil-looking eye, at least for the main series, which suits Dark type as a whole better than a crescent moon. But it does feel like a bit of a waste that more wasn't done with the motif when it so strongly defines the type's iconography.
While the main series moved to an "evil eye", the crescent moon is still used occasionally like in Pokemon Masters & New Pokemon Snap.

Dark generally feels like a Type GF struggled to have some greater connecting themes. For example, look how Dark has been represented by some past Super Mechanics: the Z-Move was a black hole, the Max Move was two tendrils made of "dark" energy which wrapped around the target and exploded, and the Tera crown is a evil grimacing face with a twinkle in the eye(?).

I don't feel it was a waste that Dark no longer uses the crescent moon, especially Fairy having a connection to the moon now. Also, I say GF struggles for a theme, but that's suggesting they want one for Dark. Its probably a pain when it comes to the super mechanic, but Dark being so versatile is probably something GF likes. It allows them to slap it onto a Pokemon which has any hint of maliciousness, ferocity, darkness, negatively, rebelliousness, etc.. And that also includes "night", whether it means a Pokemon that's nocturnal, represents an aspect of night or the moon, or a future super mechanic needs something for Dark-types to be associated with. Not gone, just put on the side to be used when appropriate.

Jesus, that's downright horrific. How have I never heard of this before?
The actual name of the "practice" is Tsujigiri. How often it happened is very questionable, not to mention was illegal. Anyone who did it, samurai or not (there's one case of a wealthy lord described on the Wikipedia page), was considered insane and put to death if caught. If I were to think of some equivalencies, what comes to mind would be the concept of Russian roulette or someone poisoning Halloween candy (or putting razor blades in them).

Stopping on Page 487 for now.

... the title screen has music? *Checks game and, indeed, there is* I swear that wasn't there before, also I don't think there was ever a crowd cheer either.

*Checks Youtube*

IT'S A POST GAME REWARD?! Okay, so apparently, before beating the game, you only hear the background noise of inside a classroom. Once you beat the game, that's when you get the title music! But as DrumstickGaming says, they still have the classroom noises playing. BUT THAT'S NOT TECHNICALLY TRUE! There is still classroom noises, BUT there is some additional noises on top of that such as a crowd cheering when the music starts up (I can't find any Youtube video of this).

And about the title screen itself. Yeah, as is, pretty bad. BUT I don't think just having the Version Legendary instead would improve things. Well, it would be better what we have now, but it would still be boring. What they should have done was having the Title Screen background & music be based on the location you last saved:
  • Saved in the School, you get this background and the school music.
  • Saved in a town/city, get an image of it and the music that plays there.
  • If you're somewhere in the wild, the image will be based on where you are, meanwhile the music will just be the overworld music for that province.
  • And they could maybe throw in some extra ones for fun: Pokemon Centers could have their own image & music, the Team Star bases each have their own image depending who's base you're at and the general Team Star encounter theme, and of course Area 0 (maybe have a few images based on if you're in the wilderness area, crystal caves, or the time machine).
THEN, as the post game reward, you can select to have a specific location's image & theme be static until you choose another (or have it be based on where you saved, or maybe throw in a random option).
The title screen music being postgame is honestly one of the strangest decisions the game made. If they really wanted to delay it, maybe they could have done it like some Final Fantasy games do with the Prelude theme (I think at least? Haven't played a ton of that series) and have it play on "The End" screen? Either way it's bizarre.

While the main series moved to an "evil eye", the crescent moon is still used occasionally like in Pokemon Masters & New Pokemon Snap.

Dark generally feels like a Type GF struggled to have some greater connecting themes. For example, look how Dark has been represented by some past Super Mechanics: the Z-Move was a black hole, the Max Move was two tendrils made of "dark" energy which wrapped around the target and exploded, and the Tera crown is a evil grimacing face with a twinkle in the eye(?).

I don't feel it was a waste that Dark no longer uses the crescent moon, especially Fairy having a connection to the moon now. Also, I say GF struggles for a theme, but that's suggesting they want one for Dark. Its probably a pain when it comes to the super mechanic, but Dark being so versatile is probably something GF likes. It allows them to slap it onto a Pokemon which has any hint of maliciousness, ferocity, darkness, negatively, rebelliousness, etc.. And that also includes "night", whether it means a Pokemon that's nocturnal, represents an aspect of night or the moon, or a future super mechanic needs something for Dark-types to be associated with. Not gone, just put on the side to be used when appropriate.
Hoo boy, snipping your posts on mobile takes a while. Anyway.

The crescent moon design for Dark type is used for Pokémon Masters and New Pokémon Snap because they predate the change to the evil eye design.

Dark being so versatile is part of what annoys me. It's largely become a counterpart to Normal in that sense. Every other type has a more focused concept, and Dark started like that in gen II, but devolved into a generic type similar to Normal as quickly as gen III. Many of its moves and Pokemon only loosely fulfill a number of various criteria, you could merely recolor a bunch of the more serious looking Normal types to have darker color schemes and get something perfect for Dark type nowadays (some examples, Persian, Ursaring, Zangoose), and many Dark moves are pretty basic attacks like Bite and Fling that could easily pass as Normal moves instead.

The lunar / nocturnal motif Dark largely had when it debuted, had it been preserved, would have at least preserved some sense of identity that the moves of the type could have grown into, along with the evil/sinister motifs accompanying its initial set. That the Pokemon and moves within the Dark type strayed so far away from that, yet a crescent moon was still selected as the icon for the type, feels like wasted potential for what could have been done with the type. I don't think it's a waste that Dark type isn't represented by a crescent moon anymore, but that the Dark type itself hasn't been something that could accurately be represented by such an icon since gen II.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Snow was definitely an upgrade to Hail, and most of the evidence for that (IMO) is that for the first time ever, Hail (now Snowscape) is an actual move in Random Battles. Beartic and Cetitan both run it, because a speed and defense buff is worth a move slot and turn using the move. Just a speed buff previously wasn't, on any of the slush rushers.

Do I think they could have kept the residual damage purely mechanically? Sure, but I also don't think they had to, and there are more interesting applications for snow in terms of flavour. Halving the damage of sound moves is my preferred choice, as it synergises well with the defensive route of Snow by making hiding behind a Substitute safer while the weather's still active, and since all sound moves are special it serves as a potential buff to both defenses for an Ice-Type. I don't think something like that will be added though because it's gonna be demonstrated this gen that what they've done with Snow is already sufficient as a buff. OTOH there is potential there for if they do finally add either a Light-Type or a light category for moves for snow to buff their power (and if the latter the sound move nerf in snow might happen alongside it for duality purposes) because snow reflects light and muffles sound.

We all got used to it, but Hail being the Ice-Type weather condition was always a weird choice. Most people experience hail a few times in their lives and it is potentially lethal all on its own. Snow is more mundane (like rain, sun, and probably sandstorms if you live in a desert) which fits much better with "this just happens to be what the weather is doing right now and that's good or bad for this individual mon".

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
Snow was definitely an upgrade to Hail, and most of the evidence for that (IMO) is that for the first time ever, Hail (now Snowscape) is an actual move in Random Battles. Beartic and Cetitan both run it, because a speed and defense buff is worth a move slot and turn using the move. Just a speed buff previously wasn't, on any of the slush rushers.

Do I think they could have kept the residual damage purely mechanically? Sure, but I also don't think they had to, and there are more interesting applications for snow in terms of flavour. Halving the damage of sound moves is my preferred choice, as it synergises well with the defensive route of Snow by making hiding behind a Substitute safer while the weather's still active, and since all sound moves are special it serves as a potential buff to both defenses for an Ice-Type. I don't think something like that will be added though because it's gonna be demonstrated this gen that what they've done with Snow is already sufficient as a buff. OTOH there is potential there for if they do finally add either a Light-Type or a light category for moves for snow to buff their power (and if the latter the sound move nerf in snow might happen alongside it for duality purposes) because snow reflects light and muffles sound.

We all got used to it, but Hail being the Ice-Type weather condition was always a weird choice. Most people experience hail a few times in their lives and it is potentially lethal all on its own. Snow is more mundane (like rain, sun, and probably sandstorms if you live in a desert) which fits much better with "this just happens to be what the weather is doing right now and that's good or bad for this individual mon".
With a lot of debate on “Fairy is light” even if I myself disagree, GF might take a safer route and adds a Light category.

I myself would be interested on a light category finally happening, since Mystery Dungeon experimented with Illuminate by making certain light-themed moves (including Volt Tackle, for some reason) to make user a Decoy, which works like Follow Me for several turns. A list of moves affected by SMD-onward Illuminate for those curious.

I won’t tell what it could do in theory as I don’t want to run risk of “no wishlisting” rule, but this is a fun idea to think off when the thought of Light-type is a difficult, if not risky idea.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I don't think that card is meant to be showing off a move at all. It's just Samurott standing, menacingly, behind the Snorunt.
Now all I can think of seeing the card is this clip, lol.

There is an olive Pokemon introduced in Scarlet and Violet. It is a Grass type Pokemon. There is a Grass type gym with a gym challenge before the actual fight. With what gym is the olive rolling gym challenge associated?

The Bug gym.

MAKE IT MAKE SENSE.
Challenged accept and completed. But in case you don't want to go to another thread:

" Being in a town which main crop are olives, there's an olive Pokemon which is Grass/Normal, and her non-Leader job is a pastry baker, Katy is obviously a specialist in... Bug-types. 'Kay. Well, there is a connection between olives, her being a pastry baker, and bugs, specifically lepidopterans (butterflies and moths). Katy runs the Patisserie Soapberry (and, if I recall correctly, despite being a patisserie you cannot buy anything from it). Soapberries sound like an odd berry to name drop. There's two kinds of Soapberries, an edible kind in North America (they crush them with other berries into a foamy ice cream) and another from the "Old World" (which includes the Iberian Peninsula). These berries aren't really edible, they're used to actually make soap among other uses like folk medicine, dyes, and, wait for it, insecticides (specifically of mosquitos). Yup, certain lepidopterans lay their eggs on soapberry trees to protect their larvae from mosquitos. And know what other plant is used by lepidopterans to raise their larvae? Olives. AND, what Pokemon do you see Katy feeding just before you battle her? "

no I’m not kidding you Gengar gets Shadow Ball at level 48

I get it TMs and the like haha funny broken, but just WTF?
Don't see what the problem is. If you used Gengar, Gardevour, and/or Gallade on your team it would be over Level 48 by the time you collect all the Badges. If you're training it post game, Levelling up Pokemon I find not to be that bad especially if you use the cave in Area Zero where you catch Roaring Moon/Iron Valiant which spawn high level Chansey (and of course doing Raids gives you plenty of Candy).

Also it's not like Gengar is lacking in Ghost-type moves until Level 48, it has Hex which is serviceable (though STILL no natural Poison-type move! Just give it like Sludge, Venoshock, and/or Toxic as a Level 1 relearn!). Same with Gardevoir & Gallade (both who also get a bunch of nice Level 1 relearns as well).

You are not alone about this. Hundred if not millions of Shiny Hunters are unhappy about getting a male Shiny Combee.
I've personally witnessed a male shiny Salandit on a stream last gen. The screams are still fresh in my ears.
Please make a soldier bee and simp lizard evolutions, free us from the pain.
I say program it so that Shiny Male Combee & Salandit, when bred with a Vespiquen & Salazzle respectively, have a high chance of resulting in a Shiny female member of their species. Then have the game give the father Shiny Male Combee/Salandit a flag which means they have produced a Shiny Female and therefore should return to the normal Shiny rate.

Though another idea I've had for the poor mons is giving them a Signature Ability: Queen Sentry (If Combee/Salandit is battling alongside a Vespiquen/Salandit (depending on species), as long as they're on the field Combee/Salandit will add their Atk, SpA, Def, SpD & Spe stat to their "queen", redirect any move targeting their "queen" to themselves, & any status increases they do is also applied to their "queen". When Combee/Salandit faint it leaves a Substitue with 1 HP for their "queen"). Doesn't really have anything to do with the Shiny discussion, but this would give a purpose (a rather gimmicky one) to use a Shiny Male Combee/Salandit in battle.

What did I wake up to?
Yeah, was gonna end my thought there, but if we're gonna go to extreme lengths to evolve Male Combee/Salandit I'll add an additional thought. Maybe combining it with my above idea (though would require tweaking it as it might become too OP with a stronger Pokemon), an easy excuse they can use to give the males evolution is if the "Queen" decided it needed a bodyguard. So for Combee I'm imagining it turning into something like a combat/surveillance drone while Salandit turns to a muscular royal fanbearer (it's tail turning having grown feathers and uses it to fan their queen).

Gen IV and V's description is fine (unless you needed reassuring that it's the Pokemon that might get burned instead of you, the trainer) but Gen VII and VIII's description is laughable. "The Pokemon is covered with a water veil." No, really?! I'd never have guessed! Gen IX's at least improves on it a little, though it still feels like such an unwillingness to allow anyone reading it to think for themselves. The ability is called Water Veil, I'm sure we can all put two and two together to intuit that it's the Pokemon's veil of water that prevents burns.
Almost certainly "unwillingness to allow anyone reading it to think for themselves" and more "we can be more descriptive and flavorful", with my criticism being "this is more descriptive but not more flavorful" and "this is inconsistently applied to various moves & abilities"
Yeah, it's not any more flavorful if you're using the words of the name to describe it. GameFreak, I think the more flavorful description you're looking for Water Veil is this: "A thin layer of moisture covers the skin, preventing burns". There, so for those who don't quite know what they mean by "a veil of water" (is it some kind of water barrier or shield? Is it visible?), they now know it just means the Pokemon's skin is wetter.

I love getting the ??? badge from every Gym Leader in Scarlet and Violet. It's such a clever naming scheme and not lazy at all.

Like c'mon, if they had ran out of synonyms after 8 generations they could have at least used the leader or city name at worst.
Don't forget this started in Galar.

Grass - Field Badge
Water - Lake Badge
Fire - Exhaust Badge
Fighting - Strike Badge
Ghost - Wisp Badge
Fairy - Pastel Badge
Rock - Rigid Badge
Ice - Frigid Badge
Dark - Impish Badge
Dragon - Roar Badge

Gyms:
Bug - Sugarbug Badge
Grass - Still Badge
Electric - Ionic Badge
Water - Fresh Badge
Normal - Normal Badge
Ghost - Holler Badge
Psychic - Vibe Badge
Ice - Frost Badge

Titans:
Rock - Cliff Badge
Flying - Sky Badge
Steel - Lurking Badge
Ground - Quaking Badge
Dragon - False Badge

Team Star:
Dark - Beat Badge
Fire - Fury Badge
Poison - Deceive Badge
Fairy - Trick Badge
Fighting - Intimidate Badge

With a lot of debate on “Fairy is light” even if I myself disagree, GF might take a safer route and adds a Light category.

I myself would be interested on a light category finally happening, since Mystery Dungeon experimented with Illuminate by making certain light-themed moves (including Volt Tackle, for some reason) to make user a Decoy, which works like Follow Me for several turns. A list of moves affected by SMD-onward Illuminate for those curious.

I won’t tell what it could do in theory as I don’t want to run risk of “no wishlisting” rule, but this is a fun idea to think off when the thought of Light-type is a difficult, if not risky idea.
Didn't know Mystery Dungeon tried a Light category. It's something I advocated for (didn't go into details there, though in addition to being able to get Abilities and Items which interact with them like Sound moves have gotten, I would also suggest they get the additional effect of bypass Light Screen, Reflect, Protect, Aurora Veil, Safeguard, & Magic Coat). :blobwizard:

That old post of mine also had some old ideas I had for Hail and Snow before the release of Scarlet & Violet, so I guess that's my contribution to that discussion as well. :blobthumbsup:

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
Now all I can think of seeing the card is this clip, lol.

Challenged accept and completed. But in case you don't want to go to another thread:

" Being in a town which main crop are olives, there's an olive Pokemon which is Grass/Normal, and her non-Leader job is a pastry baker, Katy is obviously a specialist in... Bug-types. 'Kay. Well, there is a connection between olives, her being a pastry baker, and bugs, specifically lepidopterans (butterflies and moths). Katy runs the Patisserie Soapberry (and, if I recall correctly, despite being a patisserie you cannot buy anything from it). Soapberries sound like an odd berry to name drop. There's two kinds of Soapberries, an edible kind in North America (they crush them with other berries into a foamy ice cream) and another from the "Old World" (which includes the Iberian Peninsula). These berries aren't really edible, they're used to actually make soap among other uses like folk medicine, dyes, and, wait for it, insecticides (specifically of mosquitos). Yup, certain lepidopterans lay their eggs on soapberry trees to protect their larvae from mosquitos. And know what other plant is used by lepidopterans to raise their larvae? Olives. AND, what Pokemon do you see Katy feeding just before you battle her? "

Don't see what the problem is. If you used Gengar, Gardevour, and/or Gallade on your team it would be over Level 48 by the time you collect all the Badges. If you're training it post game, Levelling up Pokemon I find not to be that bad especially if you use the cave in Area Zero where you catch Roaring Moon/Iron Valiant which spawn high level Chansey (and of course doing Raids gives you plenty of Candy).

Also it's not like Gengar is lacking in Ghost-type moves until Level 48, it has Hex which is serviceable (though STILL no natural Poison-type move! Just give it like Sludge, Venoshock, and/or Toxic as a Level 1 relearn!). Same with Gardevoir & Gallade (both who also get a bunch of nice Level 1 relearns as well).

I say program it so that Shiny Male Combee & Salandit, when bred with a Vespiquen & Salazzle respectively, have a high chance of resulting in a Shiny female member of their species. Then have the game give the father Shiny Male Combee/Salandit a flag which means they have produced a Shiny Female and therefore should return to the normal Shiny rate.

Though another idea I've had for the poor mons is giving them a Signature Ability: Queen Sentry (If Combee/Salandit is battling alongside a Vespiquen/Salandit (depending on species), as long as they're on the field Combee/Salandit will add their Atk, SpA, Def, SpD & Spe stat to their "queen", redirect any move targeting their "queen" to themselves, & any status increases they do is also applied to their "queen". When Combee/Salandit faint it leaves a Substitue with 1 HP for their "queen"). Doesn't really have anything to do with the Shiny discussion, but this would give a purpose (a rather gimmicky one) to use a Shiny Male Combee/Salandit in battle.

Yeah, was gonna end my thought there, but if we're gonna go to extreme lengths to evolve Male Combee/Salandit I'll add an additional thought. Maybe combining it with my above idea (though would require tweaking it as it might become too OP with a stronger Pokemon), an easy excuse they can use to give the males evolution is if the "Queen" decided it needed a bodyguard. So for Combee I'm imagining it turning into something like a combat/surveillance drone while Salandit turns to a muscular royal fanbearer (it's tail turning having grown feathers and uses it to fan their queen).

Yeah, it's not any more flavorful if you're using the words of the name to describe it. GameFreak, I think the more flavorful description you're looking for Water Veil is this: "A thin layer of moisture covers the skin, preventing burns". There, so for those who don't quite know what they mean by "a veil of water" (is it some kind of water barrier or shield? Is it visible?), they now know it just means the Pokemon's skin is wetter.

Don't forget this started in Galar.

Grass - Field Badge
Water - Lake Badge
Fire - Exhaust Badge
Fighting - Strike Badge
Ghost - Wisp Badge
Fairy - Pastel Badge
Rock - Rigid Badge
Ice - Frigid Badge
Dark - Impish Badge
Dragon - Roar Badge

Gyms:
Bug - Sugarbug Badge
Grass - Still Badge
Electric - Ionic Badge
Water - Fresh Badge
Normal - Normal Badge
Ghost - Holler Badge
Psychic - Vibe Badge
Ice - Frost Badge

Titans:
Rock - Cliff Badge
Flying - Sky Badge
Steel - Lurking Badge
Ground - Quaking Badge
Dragon - False Badge

Team Star:
Dark - Beat Badge
Fire - Fury Badge
Poison - Deceive Badge
Fairy - Trick Badge
Fighting - Intimidate Badge

Didn't know Mystery Dungeon tried a Light category. It's something I advocated for (didn't go into details there, though in addition to being able to get Abilities and Items which interact with them like Sound moves have gotten, I would also suggest they get the additional effect of bypass Light Screen, Reflect, Protect, Aurora Veil, Safeguard, & Magic Coat). :blobwizard:

That old post of mine also had some old ideas I had for Hail and Snow before the release of Scarlet & Violet, so I guess that's my contribution to that discussion as well. :blobthumbsup:
Interesting, I’d write that down instead of the current Light trait intrinsic effect I have, with credit given unless I don’t have to.

Also, why Oblivion Wing among the list?

Something this made me think of is that Kingambit's ability seems oddly unfitting with how his mechanics specifically work (albeit the "adjustment" I'm about to discuss might make him too strong so I'm not advocating for it balance-wise either). Namely, Supreme Overlord works by giving King himself a buff based on how many teammates have fainted at some point during the battle (retained even if they revive), when his Dex entries suggest he's not a very capable leader and strategist and mostly wins via brute force. Even assuming that flavor doesn't entail his underlings getting themselves wrecked in a zerg rush, it does seem odd that he gains power from having others go down since that's less brute strength behind the team. I would have taken the effect to be based on how many Pokemon have hit the field, or perhaps have something in common with Kingambit like a typing.

The reason this came to mind is because I wonder if it would work to give Vespiquen and Salazzle abilites akin to Supreme Overlord, in which something at the expense of their teammates makes them stronger akin to Worker/Drone Bees providing sustenance or Male Salandit relinquishing their food. It seems fitting to them since they come from systems where the expense of their "underlings" is a much more expected/necessary consequence than Kingambit, in which it's mostly an avoidable consequence of his own failing.

Your own description meanwhile reminds me a bit of Tatsugiri and Dondozo, which to my limited knowledge is proving quite effective to the point of some polarized reception in early VGC ruleset matches.

In my latest Pokemon White 2 playthrough I noticed 'Wow, you can get a level 35 Volcarona around the 5th gym.' only to realize it only has Fire Spin and Leechlife as attacks. All 20 levels it gets a new move... great. How about TMs? Fire Blast and Flamethrower are around the 7th gym...
Terrible. I hope you like grinding for shards to teach it Signal Beam, Heat Wave or Gigadrain...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)