XY UU Let's get white girl wasted! (Volt-Turn)

Gettin' Turnt up Tonight!

Alright, so as it currently stands I can't do much battling at the moment. I've gone and accumulated enough head injuries that looking at brightly lit animated screens for an extended period of time will be giving me headaches for a while, so while I can't be battling on Showdown for now I can still use the Smogon forums. So while I haven't used this team in the past three days, I assure you that I've played with this team quite a bit.

Anyway, after being away from competitive battling for a couple months I decided to get back into the swing of things again, and UU has changed a lot more than I had originally assumed it would since I left in early August. Going back to playing stall looks far more difficult than it used to be as my go to walls Slowbro and Mew are now banned, Honchkrow is less effective than he used to be, Haxorus and Granbull are things, and Jirachi is much better in this metagame than before. The teams that I used to use had become more or less irrelevant, and I had to start working on a new team, and with a new strategy. So I took an old LC Volt-Turn team that had decent success for me in the past, and decided to retrofit it for a new tier.

The Team
The basic idea behind this Volt-Turn team is to control hazards and maintain momentum, using the damage racked up though constant Volt Switches/U-Turns and hazards to wear my opponent out enough for one of my two sweepers to clean up what's left.

Pumpkin Spice (Mienshao) @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Fake Out

There are few things that excite White Girls like Pumpkin Spice Lattes.
-Ancient Roman Proverb​

Mienshao is my primary scout, occasional lead, and great at punching holes in my opponent's team as she can 2HKO several physical walls on the switch that like to stop Mega-Aerodactyl and Lucario from sweeping. Mienshao can also be used to sweep late game after my opponent's scarfers/priority users have been taken out and hazard damage has racked up. I chose to use the Regenerator Life Orb set instead of a choice set as this team benefits more from having Mienshao in the game longer than having her hit faster or harder. High Jump Kick is there for hard hitting stab, Knock Off is mainly used on ghost-types that think they're cheeky, Fake Out is for chip damage, and U-Turn is for grabbing momentum.

Chipotle is life (Raikou) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Aura Sphere

"Chipotle is life."
-Any given White Girl after biting into her Chipotle burrito​

My heavy hitter from the special side, Specs Raikou gives my team a solid answer to Cro-Cune and other bulky water types while also giving my team a very powerful Volt Switch user. HP Grass is used over HP Ice to OHKO Swampert who otherwise likes to switch in on Raikou and give this team problems. Thunderbolt is there for a powerful STAB, and Aura Sphere is filler that I rarely use.

Can't even (Forretress) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes

"Like oh my God, I just can't even!"
-The typical reaction of a White Girl when realizing that they can no longer even​

Quite possibly the most important member of the team, I chose Forry as my hazard setter as a Volt-Turn team lives or dies based on it's hazard support. Able to stay in the game for a long time, I play Forry to outlast my opponent's hazard support, and make sure that I have the hazards I want up for as long as possible. Stealth Rock and Spikes are my two choices for hazards, and if I can get rocks and 1 layer of spikes up and take out my opponent's defogger/spinner it usually means I've won the game. Rapid Spin is pretty self-explanatory. Volt Switch is important for several reasons, the first is that a slow Volt Switch allows me to bring in Forretress on physical attackers that threaten me, and then Volt Switch into team members like Mienshao or Lucario after either absorbing another hit or seeing what my opponent switches into. The second is that it allows me to gain switch priority on Taunt users and Ghost types coming in to block a Rapid Spin.

Starbucks (Hydreigon) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- U-turn
- Fire Blast

What Washington DC is to Americans, Starbucks is to White Girls. Their capital. Their Mecca.

A pokemon that I'd never used before, I was a little concerned about trying Scarf Hydreigon at first, but after trying him out for a few games I can honestly say that I have no idea what I was worried about. A heavy hitter in a great speed tier, Hydreigon is my go to Revenge Killer. Draco Meteor and Dark Pulse are for STAB, U-Turn is for grabbing momentum, and Fire Blast is for hitting pokemon like Whimsicott on the switch.

Ugg boots (Lucario) @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch

Ugg boots have long been suspected to hold some sort of ritualistic value to White Girls, but this is primarily scientific speculation.

The first of my two primary sweepers, SD Lucario doesn't get on until late in the game. After grabbing a boost on whatever he can, Luc uses her priority to to sweep weakened teams, and Close Combat to take out any worn down threats that are slower than her. I use Bullet Punch over any other move as it can OHKO Mega Aerodactyl at +2. I use an Adamant nature to get the most damage out of Luc's priority. Though it must be said that if any pokemon on this team felt changeable, it would have to be Lucario.

Yaaaaasssss (Aerodactyl) @ Aerodactylite
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Aqua Tail
- Taunt
- Aerial Ace

"Yaaaaasssss"
-The victory cry of wild White Girls​

One of my favorite pokemon of all time, Mega-Aerodactyl is a fast sweeper who doesn't need to set up. After my opponent's scarfers have been worn down by constant switching through hazards and their walls have been broken or weakened, Mega-Aerodactyl come in and clear out whatever is left. Stone Edge and Aerial Ace are for STAB, Aqua Tail nets me some nice coverage, and Taunt can shut down support mons, and stop Mega Aerodactyl from getting Spored by physically defensive Amoongus who is surprisingly not OHKO'd by Aerial Ace.

Things that I'd like to change

Currently this team is lacking in two departments that seriously bother me. For one I don't have a pursuit trapper, which makes taking out my opponent's spin blocker harder than it needs to be sometimes. I tried using Scarf Krook in the position for a while before switching him out for Hydreigon, and while he was a good trapper he just wasn't as valuable to the team as Hydreigon is now. Also I'd like to have a little versatility on the special attacking side, as both of my special attackers are choice locked I can be forced into making disgusting commoner level hard switches if and when I mispredict my opponent early in the game.

Other than that I'm absolutely open to try any suggestion that you have to make about this team.

Importable team:
Pumpkin Spice (Mienshao) @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Fake Out

Chipotle is life (Raikou) @ Choice Specs
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Aura Sphere

Can't even (Forretress) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes

Starbucks (Hydreigon) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- U-turn
- Fire Blast

Ugg boots (Lucario) @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch

Yaaaaasssss (Aerodactyl) @ Aerodactylite
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Aqua Tail
- Taunt
- Aerial Ace

I'd like to give special thanks to my friend Bird McBird over on Showdown, who's helped develop and nickname this team. You're the word, Bird.

Last edited:
Hey Thanks Brock Obama, you have a pretty cool team, so I only have one suggestion to make.

As it is, your team is fairly weak to Gligar, particularly the SpDef SR variant; while you do have Mega Aerodactyl to Aqua Tail it, if Gligar manages to get up Stealth Rock before MAero comes in, then it becomes very easy to force Aero out if they play well, especially due to your lack of recovery. To mitigate this, I would reccomend putting Roost over Taunt, as most of the things Mega Aero taunts on either can wear it down very easily (i.e. PDefensive Florges), or is not exactly something that Mega Aerodactyl wants to be Taunting as it is risks being KO'd (Swampert). Roost also lets you switch into stuff like Krookodile more than once, which lets you have multiple opportunities to check it. I would also suggest changing your spread seeing as you are running Adamant, and since MAero outspeeds nearly everything in the tier, it's best to outspeed everything relevant and then invest in Hp as a little extra; if you feel like you need to outspeed Modest Megazam and Scarf Chandy though, you could also run Jolly Dactyl with the same spread you are currently using.

Alternatively, since you said you are lacking in the Pursuit trapping department, you could also replace Taunt on Dactyl for it, as it lets you trap stuff that can be a threat to your team otherwise, particularly Chandelure and Roserade.

Hope I helped!

Aerodactyl @ Aerodactylite
EVs: 76 HP / 252 Atk / 180 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Aqua Tail
- Roost / Pursuit
- Aerial Ace

iirc, the spread outspeeds noivern after mega evolving, with the rest dumped into attack and hp.

Hey Thanks Brock Obama, you have a pretty cool team, so I only have one suggestion to make.

As it is, your team is fairly weak to Gligar, particularly the SpDef SR variant; while you do have Mega Aerodactyl to Aqua Tail it, if Gligar manages to get up Stealth Rock before MAero comes in, then it becomes very easy to force Aero out if they play well, especially due to your lack of recovery. To mitigate this, I would reccomend putting Roost over Taunt, as most of the things Mega Aero taunts on either can wear it down very easily (i.e. PDefensive Florges), or is not exactly something that Mega Aerodactyl wants to be Taunting as it is risks being KO'd (Swampert). Roost also lets you switch into stuff like Krookodile more than once, which lets you have multiple opportunities to check it. I would also suggest changing your spread seeing as you are running Adamant, and since MAero outspeeds nearly everything in the tier, it's best to outspeed everything relevant and then invest in Hp as a little extra; if you feel like you need to outspeed Modest Megazam and Scarf Chandy though, you could also run Jolly Dactyl with the same spread you are currently using.

Alternatively, since you said you are lacking in the Pursuit trapping department, you could also replace Taunt on Dactyl for it, as it lets you trap stuff that can be a threat to your team otherwise, particularly Chandelure and Roserade.

Hope I helped!

Aerodactyl @ Aerodactylite
EVs: 76 HP / 252 Atk / 180 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Aqua Tail
- Roost / Pursuit
- Aerial Ace

iirc, the spread outspeeds noivern after mega evolving, with the rest dumped into attack and hp.
I'll definitely give that Pursuit set a look! I like the EV spread as well, I checked to see what speed tier Aerodactyl sat in before mega evolving and just above Mienshao is a very good place to be. The Roost set also looks very interesting, as Gligar has been extremely annoying in the past.

Thanks a ton man!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)