Gen 1 Kingler (OU) [QC 2/2] [GP 2/2]

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
kingler.png

Why is the Green sprite so much better than the Blue one?

[OVERVIEW]

Kingler is the strongest Pokemon with access to the combination of Swords Dance and Hyper Beam, possessing a dizzying base 130 Attack. This gives Kingler cataclysmic wallbreaking potential, outright OHKOing Chansey given the chance. It also has exclusive access to Crabhammer, which will nearly always land a critical hit, largely making up for its mediocre Special. Kingler isn't exactly slow relative to RBY OU either, being just above Cloyster and Victreebel. This means it isn't completely reliant on paralysis support and is very capable of mowing down teams without it. Overall, while an uncommon threat, Kingler is very capable of running over weakened teams if given a mere turn to set up. Even if it doesn't get a full sweep, the holes Kingler can tear in a team can be more than enough for its teammates to finish the job.

So why isn't Kingler often seen on the big stage, fighting tooth and nail with Kanto's finest? Kingler's sweeping prospects are swiftly put down by paralysis, and this weakness often forces it out, causing it to forfeit any Swords Dance boosts it may have gained beforehand. Kingler's special bulk is also a pressing issue, with even neutral hits like Alakazam's Psychic 2HKOing it. Furthermore, its weakness to Electric-type attacks makes Pokemon like Starmie a royal pain, often causing it to be KOed even at around 75%. These factors make it deceptively difficult to find an opening for Kingler to sweep, and it therefore requires an experienced player to be successful.

[SET]
name: Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Hyper Beam
move 3: Body Slam
move 4: Crabhammer

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

Swords Dance is Kingler's claim to fame, allowing it to boost its Attack and wreak havoc. Using it also allows Kingler to reapply a foe's Speed drop from paralysis, which helps if Kingler has been paralyzed itself. +2 Hyper Beam can OHKO Chansey, Jynx, Jolteon, and Alakazam. It can also OHKO Starmie and Victreebel 30.8% and 56.4% of the time, respectively. The rest of the tier isn't far behind, with foes often crumbling if even a third of their HP has been chipped off. Body Slam lets Kingler deny switch-ins by the threat of paralysis, allowing it to be more self-sufficient rather than mandating team support; if a Pokemon is paralyzed on the switch after Kingler has boosted, a +2 Hyper Beam will likely follow for the KO. Crabhammer allows Kingler to OHKO Rhydon and 3HKO Gengar, the latter of which is immune to Kingler's other attacks, making Crabhammer valuable to prevent it from repeatedly switching in. It also allows Kingler to 3HKO Snorlax 87.2% of the time, allowing it to muscle past Reflect sets. It should be noted that Crabhammer isn't just some better Slash, though; it has some very unfortunate accuracy issues, and a single miss will most likely be Kingler's undoing.

Kingler should be kept until late-game when the opposing team has been weakened or riddled with paralysis. This gives it the best chance of setting up successfully and serving as a wincon. If an entire team has been paralyzed, Kingler will happily take a hit if it means blowing the opposition away. Finding an opportunity to set up can be difficult, though; the best way is to punish a Pokemon using Rest, such as Snorlax or Jolteon. However, simply exploiting weakened, paralyzed Pokemon also gives a worthy payoff. Kingler should ideally be paired with an Electric-type like Zapdos or Jolteon, as they can beat Kingler's primary counters in opposing Electric-types, Starmie, and Slowbro. More offensively, an Electric-type is also a perfect way to lure Rhydon in for Kingler to either set up on or cleave through, which can instantly mean a win with its Electric-type ally in the back.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Generally, Kingler should never drop any move other than Body Slam, and even this is very difficult to justify. Stomp is a potential choice, allowing Kingler to take a paraflinch approach, but it mandates far more team support to work, which teams can't always afford.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Gengar**: While Kingler can deal sizable chip to Gengar with Crabhammer to prevent it from repeatedly switching in, Gengar KOes Kingler with Thunderbolt if it has taken any amount of damage. Furthermore, Gengar has ample opportunity to switch in on Kingler's Normal-type attacks and force sleep on the player's team, as it's immune to them.

**Electric-types**: Zapdos can switch into Hyper Beam or Crabhammer and subsequently OHKO Kingler with Thunderbolt; for Kingler to win, Zapdos has to have been chipped and paralyzed prior, and even then, it requires a +2 Hyper Beam. Much of the same applies to Jolteon, although it is OHKOed by a +2 Hyper Beam and takes very high damage from Body Slam. Furthermore, if Jolteon is asleep, it is nothing more than setup fodder for Kingler.

**Paralysis**: Kingler is thoroughly debilitated by paralysis, as it can no longer mow down paralyzed teams and its poor special bulk becomes much more apparent. The threat of paralysis can make setting up with Kingler quite difficult, as it's very possible for Kingler to be paralyzed on the turn that it attempts Swords Dance. Pokemon like Exeggutor and Zapdos can easily switch in and threaten it with their paralysis-inducing moves, forcing Kingler out if it can't KO them first. Paralysis from Body Slam can be a particularly depressing experience for any Kingler player, especially when attempting to wrestle down Pokemon like Snorlax and Tauros, so this warrants consideration in prolonged interactions. Pokemon like Lapras and Victreebel become much better Kingler checks if it's paralyzed, as they can outspeed and KO it with super effective hits without fear of Hyper Beam. Reflect Chansey can also be problematic, as it effectively invalidates Kingler's Swords Dance boost and threatens it with Thunder Wave.

**Faster Special Attackers**: Kingler is extremely frail specially, which makes many special attackers suitable Kingler checks, especially when attempting to revenge kill it. Switching these Pokemon in on a Swords Dance can put Kingler into a fairly awkward position as well. Alakazam and Starmie can paralyze Kingler while threatening it with 2HKOs from their strong special attacks. In fact, even Tauros and Chansey can adapt with Thunderbolt to 2HKO Kingler. However, few of these Pokemon want to actually be attacked by Kingler themselves; if they are paralyzed and Kingler has set up, with the exception of Tauros and sometimes Starmie, these Pokemon can be OHKOed by +2 Hyper Beam.

**Physically Bulky Foes**: While a +2 Hyper Beam from Kingler is strong, there are Pokemon that can handle it surprisingly well while paralyzing it in return. Slowbro can switch in and paralyze Kingler and doesn't mind stomaching a +2 Hyper Beam if it means stopping a sweep. However, a +2 Body Slam followed up by Hyper Beam has good odds to KO Slowbro. Lapras can easily take a Hyper Beam from Kingler while threatening with Thunderbolt afterward. Exeggutor can also take most hits Kingler can throw at it and threaten with status or a 2HKO from Psychic, though it can take massive damage in the process—or even get KOed if it has taken prior damage—if Kingler has boosted with Swords Dance. Finally, if push comes to shove, Cloyster can switch in and use Explosion, though it can't do anything else lest it become setup fodder.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[Plague von Karma, 236353]]
- Quality checked by: [[Sceptross, 123746], [Amaranth, 265630]]
- Grammar checked by: [[Finland, 517429], [Estronic, 240732]]

Last edited:

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Personally I think reflect normals are actually mostly good for Kingler. Reflect Chansey means it doesnt have Thunderbolt, which is definitely the lesser of two evils. And Reflect Lax is like the perfect thing for Kingler to abuse. Cause Kingler straight up 3hkos Lax, so Lax is your main target for Kingler to set up. Switch in on the Reflect or the Rest, and then your opponent is really not going to want to stay in and take a Crabhammer.

For that reason I would never ever drop Crabhammer. I'd drop Slam or Swords dance if I wanted Blizzard. But, tbh I wouldn't do that either...

I think the counters section is a little off. Cloyster is just a free set up for Kingler. Yeah, it can Clamp you, but that's really just a pivot not a counter.

And I think you need to mention Starmie specifically as a counter. It really is the main thing holding Kingler back. It's important to note that Kingler only has a 30% chance to OHKO Starmie with Hyper beam. So you will need chip. And even friendly Mie has a probable 2hko against Kingler as well.

Also where you mention paralysis, remember that if a paralysed Starmie switches into a paralysed Kingler, and Kingler Swords dances on the switch in, Kingler will be faster.

Also I would note that one of the reasons Kingler works well with Electrics is because Kingler really loves to face Rhydon teams. Luring Rhydon with the electric, doubling in Kingler is another great way to get an easy set up (or basically a free win if you get the crabhammer against Don). And getting into a Snorlax, Tauros and Rhydon endgame is gold for Kingler.

Man I kinda want to build a Kingler + Jolteon team now...

Sceptross

The words were voted out by a landslide
is a Community Contributor
I've been summoned from the mountains by FriendOfMrGolem120 to give my thoughts on this analysis.

Blizzard is a plausible alternative to Body Slam, allowing Kingler to 2HKO Dragonite and 4HKO Exeggutor, which otherwise use it as an opportunity to spread status, or in Dragonite's case set up for an Agility + Wrap assault. It also allows Kingler to 3HKO Victreebel 89.9% of the time. However, the power of Crabhammer is sorely missed outside of these scenarios, missing out on chipping Gengar and OHKOing Rhydon, both of which are much more relevant targets. Stomp is a potential choice over Body Slam, allowing Kingler to take a paraflinch approach, but it mandates far more team support to work, which teams can't always afford. Kingler should never drop anything other than Body Slam, as its other moves are largely why it's successful in OU. In the case Kingler does drop Body Slam, there should be a very good reason for it.
I would remove the reference to Blizzard. Kingler has no business using any special move other than Crabhammer. In practice, what Blizzard provides is 5% extra damage to Exeggutor compared to Body Slam, but if we include Hyper Beam in the equation, Exeggutor is 4HKO'd most of the time by the combination of Body Slam and Hyper Beam anyway. And that's not even considering misses. The freeze chance is nice, but Kingler is not exactly a hit and run Pokemon, so its potential is greatly diminished. All of this applies to Zapdos.

Also, as Hipmonlee very wisely said, Crabhammer should never, ever be dropped. It is the reason for two of the three niches Kingler has over Kabutops (the best Swords Dancer in OU) - it allows it to 3HKO Snorlax and it's a KO on Tauros after two Tauros Body Slams.

I am okay with a reference to Stomp, but keep in mind you lose the third niche if you drop Body Slam - ability to generate your own paralysis due to your high crit move and your Rock KO-er move being the same moveslot. It should be stressed that Body Slam is infintely superior to any other option because of the support it provides.

However, it can only threaten Kingler if it has Psychic over Surf, which isn't common.
+4 Slowbro Surf vs. Kingler: 201-237 (64.2 - 75.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I would definitely call this threatening. Even with Surf, Slowbro should win the 1v1 most of the time, because Kingler only has a 10% chance to OHKO with HB at 999 attack. Kingler's special is THAT bad.

Lapras can easily take a Hyper Beam from Kingler while threatening with Thunderbolt or Sing thereafter, the latter of which works even if Kingler is paralyzed in RBY.
Initially I was going to tell you that you should explain how the Sing + paralysis mechanic works, but after a conversation with FOMG, it has become evident that it should be outright removed. Quoting him:

I mean, if Kingler is unparalysed and Lapras switches in, then Kingler recharges before it can use Sing. If Kingler is paralysed and Lapras is not, you would rather go for the 2HKO.
Zapdos can switch into any of Kingler's attacks, set up Agility, and subsequently OHKO it with Thunderbolt.
Zapdos does not set up Agility because of Kingler per se, it sets up Agility like it would against any other target - if it's going for the late game sweep. On any normal circumstance, it's literally "press Thunderbolt to win". It is also not exactly ideal to switch in on Body Slam, so I would remove the "can switch into any attack" part.

Lastly, you should make a reference to the fact that Crabhammer has imperfect accuracy. This WILL screw it over, it has screwed me over several times when testing Kingler (to the point I started jokingly referring to it as "Misshammer"). It is also outclassed as a high-crit move by Slash (which all of Kabutops, Sandslash, Pinsir and Scyther have access to) because it breaks Chansey too, as well as doing very significant damage to Exeggutor. If it had "perfect" accuracy, the ability to 3HKO Snorlax would probably put them on par, but Slash is just too good, specially on Kabutops and Pinsir.

Sceptross

The words were voted out by a landslide
is a Community Contributor
and a single miss can and will be Kingler's undoing
I would probably rephrase it to "most likely will" instead of "will", but other than that, looks pretty good.

Once you implement this, QC 1/2

Holy shit, you're back. :psynervous:
Yep haha. FOMG knows I did extensive testing on most Swords Dancers, I assume that's why he talked to me, and I felt I could give a good input here.

Now to go back to the cave I came from, Merry Christmas and best of everything for 2022 guys :P

Last edited:

Amaranth

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
UPL Champion
Grouping the Grasses together seems pretty weird since Vic isn't much of a counter in the first place and Eggy doesn't use Grass moves to check Kingler. I would rework the structure of the C&C section a fair amount as a whole tbh. Gengar can stand on its own due to the Normal immunity, Electrics also deserve their paragraph because they straight OHKO Kingler without needing a crit; but other than that, it's really not about their typing as much as it is about the ability to either paralyze or severely damage Kingler with any special attack.

So I would probably group the rest in three paragraphs: "paralysis" (from rogue body slams, or from literally anything on the Swords Dance turn, including things like Chansey); "faster Special attackers" (including Starmie, Jynx, Alakazam, maybe even a cheeky Thunderbolt Tauros mention - everything that doesn't love to take a hit but is also just able to do a crapton of damage to Kingler on a revengekill or switching on the SD turn. worth stressing that Starmie stands a cut above everything else here due to the odds to live +2 HB); and "physical bulk" (everything that isn't faster but lives a +2 Hyper Beam and can trade back significantly enough to stop Kingler's sweep - Slowbro with TWave, Eggy with status or psychic or boom, Lapras with Tbolt, Cloy with boom)

Other than that this looks good

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
Grouping the Grasses together seems pretty weird since Vic isn't much of a counter in the first place and Eggy doesn't use Grass moves to check Kingler. I would rework the structure of the C&C section a fair amount as a whole tbh. Gengar can stand on its own due to the Normal immunity, Electrics also deserve their paragraph because they straight OHKO Kingler without needing a crit; but other than that, it's really not about their typing as much as it is about the ability to either paralyze or severely damage Kingler with any special attack.

So I would probably group the rest in three paragraphs: "paralysis" (from rogue body slams, or from literally anything on the Swords Dance turn, including things like Chansey); "faster Special attackers" (including Starmie, Jynx, Alakazam, maybe even a cheeky Thunderbolt Tauros mention - everything that doesn't love to take a hit but is also just able to do a crapton of damage to Kingler on a revengekill or switching on the SD turn. worth stressing that Starmie stands a cut above everything else here due to the odds to live +2 HB); and "physical bulk" (everything that isn't faster but lives a +2 Hyper Beam and can trade back significantly enough to stop Kingler's sweep - Slowbro with TWave, Eggy with status or psychic or boom, Lapras with Tbolt, Cloy with boom)

Other than that this looks good
Took a swing at this, how does it look?

Amaranth

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
UPL Champion
Kingler isn't Amnesia fodder for Slowbro, +2 Body Slam -> Hyper Beam has good odds to kill right there and then - Slowbro is a check only in the sense that it can switch in and guarantee TWave + some damage before going down. There's also some — weirdness in that paragraph that you'll want to address. Other than that, it's alright. QC 2/2

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
Kingler isn't Amnesia fodder for Slowbro, +2 Body Slam -> Hyper Beam has good odds to kill right there and then - Slowbro is a check only in the sense that it can switch in and guarantee TWave + some damage before going down. There's also some — weirdness in that paragraph that you'll want to address. Other than that, it's alright. QC 2/2
The — stuff is markdown code for "—". It'll look weird here but would look correct on the dex. Implemented the rest though, so this seems ready for GP!

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Add/Fix Remove Comment
(AC)/(RC): Add/Remove Comma

[OVERVIEW]

Kingler is the strongest Pokemon to get access to the combination of Swords Dance and Hyper Beam, possessing a dizzying base 130 Attack. This gives Kingler cataclysmic wallbreaking potential, outright OHKOing Chansey given the chance. It also has exclusive access to Crabhammer, which will nearly always land a critical hit, largely making up for its mediocre Special. Kingler isn't exactly slow relative to OU either, being just above Cloyster and Victreebel. This means it isn't completely reliant on paralysis support and is very capable of mowing down teams without it. Overall, while an uncommon threat, Kingler is very capable of running train over weakened teams if given a mere turn to set up. Even if it doesn't get a full sweep, the holes Kingler can tear in a team can be more than enough for its teammates to finish the job.

So why isn't Kingler often seen on the big stage, fighting tooth and nail with Kanto's finest? Kingler's sweeping prospects are swiftly put down by paralysis, and this weakness often forces it out, causing it to forfeit any Swords Dance boosts it may have gained beforehand. Kingler's special bulk is also a pressing issue, with even neutral hits like Alakazam's Psychic 2HKOing it. Furthermore, its weakness to Electric-type attacks makes Pokemon like Starmie a royal pain, often causing it to be KOed even at around 75%. These factors make it deceptively difficult to find an opening for Kingler to sweep, and as such, and, therefore, it requires an experienced player to be successful.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

Swords Dance is Kingler's claim to fame, allowing it to boost its Attack and wreak havoc. This Using it also allows Kingler to reapply a foe's Speed drop from paralysis, which helps if Kingler has been paralyzed itself. +2 Hyper Beam can OHKO Chansey, Jynx, Jolteon, and Alakazam. It can also OHKO Starmie and Victreebel 30.8% and 56.4% of the time, respectively. Everything else The rest of the tier isn't far behind, with foes often crumbling if even a third of their HP has been chipped off. Body Slam gives Kingler the opportunity to lets Kingler deny switch-ins by the threat of paralysis, allowing it to be more self-sufficient rather than mandate mandating team support; if a Pokemon is paralyzed on switch-in after Kingler has boosted, a +2 Hyper Beam will likely follow for the KO. Crabhammer allows Kingler to OHKO Rhydon and 3HKO Gengar, the latter of which is immune to Kingler's other attacks, so it's making Crabhammer valuable to prevent it from repeatedly switching in. It also allows Kingler to 3HKO Snorlax 87.2% of the time, allowing it to muscle past Reflect sets. It should be noted that Crabhammer isn't some beefed up just some better Slash, (AC) though: it has some very unfortunate accuracy issues, and a single miss will most likely be Kingler's undoing.

Kingler should be kept until late-game where when the opposing team has been weakened or riddled with paralysis. This gives it the best chance of setting up successfully and achieving its team's win condition. serving as a wincon. (if this change feels confusing/marginal, i'll explain it) If an entire team has been paralyzed, Kingler will happily take a hit if it means blowing the opposition away. Finding an opportunity to set up can be difficult, (AC) though; the best way is to punish a Pokemon using Rest, such as Snorlax or Jolteon. However, simply exploiting weakened, paralyzed Pokemon is worth the payoff. also gives a worthy payoff. Kingler should ideally be paired with an Electric-type like Zapdos or Jolteon, as they can beat Kingler's primary counters (RC) such as in opposing Electric-types, Starmie, and Slowbro. On the opposite end, More offensively, an Electric-type is also a perfect way to lure Rhydon in for Kingler to counter. Kingler can use Rhydon as either a setup opportunity or a way to cleave open the opposing team either set up on or cleave through, which can instantly mean a win with its Electric-type ally in the back.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Generally, Kingler should never drop anything any move other than Body Slam, and even then, it's this is very difficult to justify. Stomp is a potential choice, allowing Kingler to take a paraflinch approach, but it mandates far more team support to work, which teams can't always afford.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Gengar**: While Kingler can deal sizable chip to Gengar with Crabhammer to prevent it from repeatedly switching in, Gengar KOes Kingler with Thunderbolt if it's taken any amount of damage. Furthermore, Gengar has ample opportunity to switch in on Kingler's Normal-type attacks and force sleep on the player's team, as it's immune to them.

**Electric-types**: Zapdos can switch into Hyper Beam or Crabhammer and subsequently OHKO Kingler with Thunderbolt; for Kingler to win, Zapdos has to have been chipped and paralyzed prior, and even then, it requires a +2 Hyper Beam. Much of the same applies to Jolteon, though although it is OHKOed by a +2 Hyper Beam and takes very high damage from Body Slam. Furthermore, if Jolteon is asleep, it is nothing more than setup fodder for Kingler.

**Paralysis**: Kingler is thoroughly debilitated by paralysis, as it can no longer mow down paralyzed teams and its poor special bulk becomes much more apparent. The threat of paralysis can make setting up with Kingler quite difficult, as it's very possible for Kingler to be paralyzed on the turn that Kingler it attempts Swords Dance. Pokemon like Exeggutor and Zapdos can easily switch in and threaten it with their paralysis-inducing moves, forcing Kingler out if it can't KO them first. Paralysis from Body Slam can be a particularly depressing experience for any Kingler player, especially when attempting to wrestle down Pokemon like Snorlax and Tauros, so this warrants consideration in prolonged interactions. Pokemon like Lapras and Victreebel become much better Kingler checks if it's paralyzed, as they can outspeed and KO it with super effective (removed hyphen) hits without fear of Hyper Beam. Reflect Chansey can also be problematic, (AC) in this scenario, as it (did "as it" and not "as Reflect" bc reflect doesn't threaten Kingler w/ twave) effectively invalidates Kingler's Swords Dance boost and threatens it with Thunder Wave.

**Faster Special Attackers**: Kingler is extremely frail on the special side, specially, which makes many special attackers suitable Kingler checks, especially when attempting to revenge kill it. Switching these Pokemon in on a Swords Dance can put Kingler into a fairly awkward position as well. Alakazam and Starmie can paralyze Kingler while threatening it with 2HKOs from their strong special attacks. In fact, even Tauros and Chansey can adapt with Thunderbolt to 2HKO Kingler. However, few of these Pokemon want to actually be attacked by Kingler themselves; if they are paralyzed and Kingler has set up, with the exception of Tauros and inconsistency on Starmie's end, sometimes Starmie, (I imagine?) these Pokemon can be OHKOed by +2 Hyper Beam.

**Physical bulk**: **Physically Bulky Foes**: While a +2 Hyper Beam from Kingler is strong, there are Pokemon that can handle it surprisingly well while paralyzing it in return. Slowbro can switch in and paralyze Kingler and doesn't mind stomaching a +2 Hyper Beam if it means stopping a sweep. However, a +2 Body Slam followed up by Hyper Beam has good odds to KO Slowbro. Lapras can easily take a Hyper Beam from Kingler while threatening with Thunderbolt thereafter. afterward. Exeggutor can also take most hits Kingler can throw at it and threaten with status or a 2HKO from Psychic, though it can take massive damage in the process—or even get KOed if it has taken prior damage—if Kingler has boosted with Swords Dance. Finally, if push comes to shove, Cloyster can switch in and explode, use Explosion, though it can't do anything else (RC) lest it becomes setup fodder.

[CREDITS]
- Grammar checked by: [[Finland, 517429], [, ]]

finland-GP.gif
1/2

Astra

talk to me nice
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
add remove (comments)
[OVERVIEW]

Kingler is the strongest Pokemon to get with access to the combination of Swords Dance and Hyper Beam, possessing a dizzying base 130 Attack. This gives Kingler cataclysmic wallbreaking potential, outright OHKOing Chansey given the chance. It also has exclusive access to Crabhammer, which will nearly always land a critical hit, largely making up for its mediocre Special. Kingler isn't exactly slow relative to RBY OU either, being just above Cloyster and Victreebel. This means it isn't completely reliant on paralysis support and is very capable of mowing down teams without it. Overall, while an uncommon threat, Kingler is very capable of running over weakened teams if given a mere turn to set up. Even if it doesn't get a full sweep, the holes Kingler can tear in a team can be more than enough for its teammates to finish the job.

So why isn't Kingler often seen on the big stage, fighting tooth and nail with Kanto's finest? Kingler's sweeping prospects are swiftly put down by paralysis, and this weakness often forces it out, causing it to forfeit any Swords Dance boosts it may have gained beforehand. Kingler's special bulk is also a pressing issue, with even neutral hits like Alakazam's Psychic 2HKOing it. Furthermore, its weakness to Electric-type attacks makes Pokemon like Starmie a royal pain, often causing it to be KOed even at around 75%. These factors make it deceptively difficult to find an opening for Kingler to sweep, and, (RC) therefore, (RC) it therefore requires an experienced player to be successful.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

Swords Dance is Kingler's claim to fame, allowing it to boost its Attack and wreak havoc. Using it also allows Kingler to reapply a foe's Speed drop from paralysis, which helps if Kingler has been paralyzed itself. +2 Hyper Beam can OHKO Chansey, Jynx, Jolteon, and Alakazam. It can also OHKO Starmie and Victreebel 30.8% and 56.4% of the time, respectively. The rest of the tier isn't far behind, with foes often crumbling if even a third of their HP has been chipped off. Body Slam lets Kingler deny switch-ins by the threat of paralysis, allowing it to be more self-sufficient rather than mandating team support; if a Pokemon is paralyzed on switch-in the switch after Kingler has boosted, a +2 Hyper Beam will likely follow for the KO. Crabhammer allows Kingler to OHKO Rhydon and 3HKO Gengar, the latter of which is immune to Kingler's other attacks, making Crabhammer valuable to prevent it from repeatedly switching in. It also allows Kingler to 3HKO Snorlax 87.2% of the time, allowing it to muscle past Reflect sets. It should be noted that Crabhammer isn't just some better Slash, though; (colon -> semicolon) it has some very unfortunate accuracy issues, and a single miss will most likely be Kingler's undoing.

Kingler should be kept until late-game when the opposing team has been weakened or riddled with paralysis. This gives it the best chance of setting up successfully and serving as a wincon. If an entire team has been paralyzed, Kingler will happily take a hit if it means blowing the opposition away. Finding an opportunity to set up can be difficult, though; the best way is to punish a Pokemon using Rest, such as Snorlax or Jolteon. However, simply exploiting weakened, paralyzed Pokemon also gives a worthy payoff. Kingler should ideally be paired with an Electric-type like Zapdos or Jolteon, as they can beat Kingler's primary counters in opposing Electric-types, Starmie, and Slowbro. More offensively, an Electric-type is also a perfect way to lure Rhydon in for Kingler to either set up on or cleave through, which can instantly mean a win with its Electric-type ally in the back.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Generally, Kingler should never drop any move other than Body Slam, and even this is very difficult to justify. Stomp is a potential choice, allowing Kingler to take a paraflinch approach, but it mandates far more team support to work, which teams can't always afford.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Gengar**: While Kingler can deal sizable chip to Gengar with Crabhammer to prevent it from repeatedly switching in, Gengar KOes Kingler with Thunderbolt if it's it has taken any amount of damage. Furthermore, Gengar has ample opportunity to switch in on Kingler's Normal-type attacks and force sleep on the player's team, as it's immune to them.

**Electric-types**: Zapdos can switch into Hyper Beam or Crabhammer and subsequently OHKO Kingler with Thunderbolt; for Kingler to win, Zapdos has to have been chipped and paralyzed prior, and even then, it requires a +2 Hyper Beam. Much of the same applies to Jolteon, although it is OHKOed by a +2 Hyper Beam and takes very high damage from Body Slam. Furthermore, if Jolteon is asleep, it is nothing more than setup fodder for Kingler.

**Paralysis**: Kingler is thoroughly debilitated by paralysis, as it can no longer mow down paralyzed teams and its poor special bulk becomes much more apparent. The threat of paralysis can make setting up with Kingler quite difficult, as it's very possible for Kingler to be paralyzed on the turn that it attempts Swords Dance. Pokemon like Exeggutor and Zapdos can easily switch in and threaten it with their paralysis-inducing moves, forcing Kingler out if it can't KO them first. Paralysis from Body Slam can be a particularly depressing experience for any Kingler player, especially when attempting to wrestle down Pokemon like Snorlax and Tauros, so this warrants consideration in prolonged interactions. Pokemon like Lapras and Victreebel become much better Kingler checks if it's paralyzed, as they can outspeed and KO it with super effective (removed hyphen) (leftover from previous check) hits without fear of Hyper Beam. Reflect Chansey can also be problematic, as it effectively invalidates Kingler's Swords Dance boost and threatens it with Thunder Wave.

**Faster Special Attackers**: Kingler is extremely frail specially, which makes many special attackers suitable Kingler checks, especially when attempting to revenge kill it. Switching these Pokemon in on a Swords Dance can put Kingler into a fairly awkward position as well. Alakazam and Starmie can paralyze Kingler while threatening it with 2HKOs from their strong special attacks. In fact, even Tauros and Chansey can adapt with Thunderbolt to 2HKO Kingler. However, few of these Pokemon want to actually be attacked by Kingler themselves; if they are paralyzed and Kingler has set up, with the exception of Tauros and sometimes Starmie, these Pokemon can be OHKOed by +2 Hyper Beam.

**Physically Bulky Foes**: While a +2 Hyper Beam from Kingler is strong, there are Pokemon that can handle it surprisingly well while paralyzing it in return. Slowbro can switch in and paralyze Kingler and doesn't mind stomaching a +2 Hyper Beam if it means stopping a sweep. However, a +2 Body Slam followed up by Hyper Beam has good odds to KO Slowbro. Lapras can easily take a Hyper Beam from Kingler while threatening with Thunderbolt afterward. Exeggutor can also take most hits Kingler can throw at it and threaten with status or a 2HKO from Psychic, though it can take massive damage in the process—or even get KOed if it has taken prior damage—if Kingler has boosted with Swords Dance. Finally, if push comes to shove, Cloyster can switch in and use Explosion, though it can't do anything else lest it become setup fodder.

[CREDITS]
- Grammar checked by: [[Finland, 517429], [, ]]
2/2 :blobthumbsup:

no stamp cuz at school :blobsad:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)