Not open for further replies.

DarkNostalgia

Fading in, fading out, on the edge of paradise
is a Contributor Alumnus
approved by Aragorn the King
original thread here

Gengar

Base Stats: 60 HP / 65 Atk / 60 Def / 130 SpA / 75 SpD / 110 Spe
Ability: Levitate - Damage dealing Ground-type moves have no effect on this Pokémon. Cannot be trapped by Arena Trap ability. Takes no damage from Spikes. Is negated by the effects of Iron Ball.
Notable Moves:
(STAB in Purple)
Shadow Ball
Sludge Wave
Sludge Bomb
Hex

Will-O-Wisp
Taunt
Focus Blast
Dazzling Gleam
Icy Wind
Thunderbolt
Giga Drain
Hypnosis
Perish Song
Disable
Reflect Type
Pain Split
Trick
Substitute
Destiny Bond

Analysis:
Gengar is an extremely notable Pokemon, being the only fully-evolved Ghost and Poison type, the first Ghost type in the history of Pokemon, as well as still being undisputed as the only Pokemon to have stayed in OU for all generations. And its stay in OU for so long is for good reason - boasting access to a fantastic base 110 Speed tier letting it outspeed the likes of Mega Pinsir and Celebi as well as Speed-tying with Latios, Mega Metagross and Mega Gallade and it also has an excellent base 130 Special Attack as well as good, solid STAB moves to work with. Gengar also possess a great array of utility moves, such as Destiny Bond, Taunt, Hypnosis, Disable, Pain Split and Will-O-Wisp, just to name a few. In addition, Gengar has quite a nice typing, letting it check Mega Altaria, Mega Gardevoir, Azumarill and Celebi very well, and it's Ghost typing means it is a good spinblocker and can take on the likes of Excadrill and Forretress relatively easily.

However, Gengar has extremely poor bulk, meaning it cannot withstand hits very well, especially with all the priority flying around such as Scizor's Bullet Punch and Bisharp's Sucker Punch. Gengar is also hard-pressed to find opportunities to switch-in, even against weaker attacks such as Rotom-W's Volt Switch or Heatran's Lava Plume, which means it requires VoltTurn support or has to switch-in against immune or extremely weak attacks or after a teammate falls.

Movesets:

~~Life Orb Attacker~~
Gengar @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP, 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Taunt / Icy Wind / Substitute

This is Gengar's most prominent set and probably it's best in the metagame right now. Shadow Ball has excellent coverage alongside Gengar's stellar offensive stats, having great neutral coverage and dealing excellent damage to Pokemon such as Landorus-Therian, Mega Metagross and Mega Diancie. Sludge Wave is Gengar's secondary STAB attack, dealing with Fairy- and Grass-types such as Mega Altaria and Chesnaught, and hits neutral targets such as Mandibuzz and Rotom-Wash harder than a Shadow Ball due to Sludge Wave's higher base power. Sludge Wave is used over Sludge Bomb for the higher power and so that Gengar can get past Chesnaught. Focus Blast gives Gengar the ability to hit Dark-types such as Tyranitar and Bisharp for super-effective damage, crippling them greatly if not downright OHKOing. In addition, Focus Blast allows Gengar to muscle past bulkier Steel-types such as Ferrothorn and Heatran. It is to be noted that, with Focus Blast, Gengar gains unparalled neutral coverage alongside Shadow Ball. Taunt is the primary slash on the last slot for Gengar's moveset, stopping defensive Pokemon such as Chansey and Alomomola from healing or using status to cripple Gengar. With Taunt, Gengar is a decent stallbreaker and completely stops Chansey and Clefable in their tracks. Icy Wind deserves a secondary slash as it deals with the increasingly popular Specially Defensive Gliscor, having a high chance to OHKO with rocks up; Icy Wind also hits both forms of Landorus and Hippowdon for nice damage, and the Speed drop is also welcome. Substitute is slashed last, as it allows Gengar to take advantage of, and protect itself from Sucker Punch. Also Substitute allows Gengar to evade status, just like Taunt, but with Life Orb recoil, Gengar's health will be going down fast. Life Orb is the chosen item for more power. Maximum investment in Special Attack and Speed allows Gengar to be as fast and hit as hard as possible, speed-tying with opposing Gengar, Mega Metagross, Latios and Mega Diancie.

~~Utility Attacker~~
Gengar @ Black Sludge
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 8 HP / 248 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hex
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Sludge Wave / Substitute

This set takes advantage of Gengar's excellent utility movepool, to turn Gengar into a terrifying sweeper late-game, especially for stall teams. Hex is Gengar's main STAB on this set, reaching a terrifying 130 base power against Pokemon with status, and turns it into quite a decent late-game sweeper against statused teams. Hex also 2HKOes Specially Defensive Gliscor after being poisoned by the Toxic Orb. Will-O-Wisp is Gengar's own method of spreading status, and can wear down defensive behemoths such as Chansey faster; Will-O-Wisp also lures in and cripples Bisharp and Tyranitar. It is also a good option to spam so that Gengar can later come back in and sweep. Taunt is a no-brainer, providing excellent utility in shutting down defensive Pokemon from recovering or inflicting status on Gengar, so that Gengar can slowly wear them down with Will-O-Wisp. Sludge Wave is the better option on the last slot, allowing Gengar to beat Calm Mind Clefable as well as Fairy-types such as Altaria easier. Substitute is an option as well to evade Sucker Punch, status and also ease prediction against the foe.
A bulkier, alternative set could be 144 HP / 108 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe, which makes sure Clefable's Moonblast does not break Gengar's Substitute and Mega Gardevoir's Hyper Voice will not 2HKO, as well as making sure Hex will always 2HKO Gliscor after rocks. Black Sludge is the item to increase Gengar longevity significantly.

Other Moves and Sets:

Destiny Bond is a good option to nab a last-minute kill against foes that you cannot damage or when you know Gengar is about to faint.
Hypnosis can be used to make the foe sleep allowing for easy setup opportunities but Hypnosis has terrible accuracy.
Substitute + Disable is a relic of the past; with this set Gengar aims to use Substitute on a super-effective hit, then uses Disable to, well, disable the opponent from using it. However, it relies on the opponent to use a super-effective hit and considering priority and Gengar's poor bulk, meaning it cannot take neutral hits well, this set has lost it's shine.
Pain Split can be used to keep Gengar healthy because of Gengar's relatively low HP stat, and also beats Chansey and Blissey faster than Taunt does.
Dazzling Gleam can be used to beat utility Mega Sableye (252 / 96+) who would otherwise wall Gengar; however it is quite situational and is generally a poor option considering Focus Blast.
Perish Song is a good utility move in general to force out set-up sweepers such as Mega Charizard X, but without Gengar's Mega Form and Shadow Tag, Perish Song is easily taken advantage of.
Reflect Type protects Gengar from Sucker Punch and Pursuit users, most notably Bisharp, Tyranitar and Scizor.
Choice Scarf turns Gengar into a decent revenge killer, but Gengar really enjoys being able to switch move and use utility moves such as Taunt and Will-O-Wisp.

NOTE: No physical Gengars please. I know it gets a wide physical movepool but it's still shit, what with base 65 Attack. I have seen this on the ladder so many times o_0

Conclusion:
Gengar has been a long-time veteran of OU, and it is unlikely it will drop in the future, as it still resides comfortably in A+ rank, plus it's ability to check many prominent threats is priceless. How has the various transitions, from BW to XY, XY to ORAS, affected Gengar? After the power and speed creep with the coming of ORAS, how effective is Gengar still?

Last edited:
I would honestly remove choice specs from other options. I see the logic of choice scarf being a great revenge killer against Mons above 110 speed, and doesn't risk speed ties with 110s, but specs just gives it a little extra power, but takes away gengars main role in being able to switch its moves to pressure switch ins. As an avid balance player, I can say I've never seen a balance team not weak to gengar, and it's because with switch ins, you have to consider "can it take shadow ball+focus blast". Just an example but hopefully you get the idea. And life orb recoil isn't even a big deal considering gengar is frail to begin with.

So many new Pokémon threads, so little time. D-did I start this trend with Gardy?
Anyway, Gengar is something I've yet to try out but has always been a very interesting Pokémon; along with Starmie it's the only thing that's remained OU since Gen 1. It's just incredibly scary now due to Ghost + Fighting having no resists apart from lol pyroar and it's certainly difficult to figure out a good check to it.

So many new Pokémon threads, so little time. D-did I start this trend with Gardy?
Anyway, Gengar is something I've yet to try out but has always been a very interesting Pokémon; along with Starmie it's the only thing that's remained OU since Gen 1. It's just incredibly scary now due to Ghost + Fighting having no resists apart from lol pyroar and it's certainly difficult to figure out a good check to it.
uhm pyroar is fire/normal and gets hit super effectively by focus blast. Sorry if that came out whiney.

DarkNostalgia

Fading in, fading out, on the edge of paradise
is a Contributor Alumnus
Gengar is definitely a cool Pokemon to try out, my first time using it was in XY and I really hated it, but back then I sucked [specs gengar with venoshock :)]
Gengar has literally no counters. Things like Mega Sableye need a mega slot, so cost is an issue. Spdef Gliscor is good I guess, but beaten by hex and also by icy wind.

Stupid gengar with steel not resisting ghost. sigh, jirachi/sdef skarmory come back to me... The ghost buff was unneeded and aegislash wasn't going to be competitive anyway. the 4 attacks LO set is miserable to play against on balance. your viable solid checks (non-mega) are like conkeldurr, av raikou, and scarftar. two of which are easily worn down and one of which dies to focus blast. i guess you can pull a stormzone and use AV meloetta. AV torn t has regenerator and can deal with it but if it has icy wind and rocks up you lose. spdef gliscor also loses to icy wind. mandibuzz is also a strong switch in, bulky enough to shrug off icy wind and tank everything else. i imagine dazzling gleam hurts both mandibuzz and sableye.

252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Icy Wind vs. 248 HP / 108 SpD Mandibuzz: 146-174 (34.5 - 41.1%) -- 1.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Icy Wind vs. 132 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Tornadus-T: 117-138 (35.2 - 41.5%) -- 67.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Dazzling Gleam vs. 248 HP / 108 SpD Mandibuzz: 213-252 (50.3 - 59.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Sableye: 148-177 (48.6 - 58.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

so basically the 4 attacks set tears everything up with rock support. the most solid check out of all of them is i guess AV meloetta. Ttar also has the benefit of trapping it. Mandibuzz and Sableye have to hope it doesn't carry gleam (it really shouldn't). icy wind is unfortunately quite common simply because luring stuff like gliscor for lando i is almost worth not using the last slot for taunt. this pokemon is just miserable. :C

Stupid gengar with steel not resisting ghost. sigh, jirachi/sdef skarmory come back to me... The ghost buff was unneeded and aegislash wasn't going to be competitive anyway. the 4 attacks LO set is miserable to play against on balance. your viable solid checks (non-mega) are like conkeldurr, av raikou, and scarftar. two of which are easily worn down and one of which dies to focus blast. i guess you can pull a stormzone and use AV meloetta. AV torn t has regenerator and can deal with it but if it has icy wind and rocks up you lose. spdef gliscor also loses to icy wind. mandibuzz is also a strong switch in, bulky enough to shrug off icy wind and tank everything else. i imagine dazzling gleam hurts both mandibuzz and sableye.

252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Icy Wind vs. 248 HP / 108 SpD Mandibuzz: 146-174 (34.5 - 41.1%) -- 1.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Icy Wind vs. 132 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Tornadus-T: 117-138 (35.2 - 41.5%) -- 67.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Dazzling Gleam vs. 248 HP / 108 SpD Mandibuzz: 213-252 (50.3 - 59.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Sableye: 148-177 (48.6 - 58.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

so basically the 4 attacks set tears everything up with rock support. the most solid check out of all of them is i guess AV meloetta. Ttar also has the benefit of trapping it. Mandibuzz and Sableye have to hope it doesn't carry gleam (it really shouldn't). icy wind is unfortunately quite common simply because luring stuff like gliscor for lando i is almost worth not using the last slot for taunt. this pokemon is just miserable. :C
Not just Gliscor, Icy Wind lets Gengar win against a decent number of Lando-I sets.
252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Icy Wind vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus: 380-447 (119.1 - 140.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

If Lando isn't carrying Knock Off or Psychic (which I don't think the Rock Polish set does), the best he can do back is
252+ SpA Life Orb Landorus Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Gengar: 109-129 (42 - 49.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Meaning Gengar can actually revenge Landorus if he has more than half his health against any set: RP can't 2HKO w/out rocks, and is never going to OHKO, and slower sets like CM or All-Out Attacker are just flat outsped.

The sets currently in the damage calc right now are
Rock Polish: Only hits w/ HP Ice
Calm Mind: OHKOs with Psychic, Gengar is immune to EP and Focus Blast
All-Out: Only has HP Ice and resisted Sludge Wave (I know this one's more flexible, but I would assume the four displayed moves are its most common at least in the current Meta).

Bear in mind this is an S-Rank mon usually considered the bane of any playstyle. Shaky though it might be, Gengar counters him if he's not carrying one of 2 moves, neither of which is considered "standard" of his pool on any set, and checks otherwise. As if dismantling balance wasn't enough for this Ghost.

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I feel like with the increasing popularity of other wallbreakers like Landorus-I and Kyurem-Black, people have forgotten about Gengar somewhat. Even if you know what it's running it's still nearly impossible to switch into because of its power and fantastic coverage. If rocks are up and Gliscor hasn't activated it Toxic Orb yet, Gengar just powers through it with 2 Shadow Balls. I've primarily run the LO set although I tried out Choice Scarf for a bit (it's alright as a late game cleaner but dark types need to be removed). I really want to try out some other sets like Hex/Will-O-Wisp and SubSplit (maybe add this one to the OP, I hear it's pretty good) since they seem underprepared for and function quite differently.

I feel like with the increasing popularity of other wallbreakers like Landorus-I and Kyurem-Black, people have forgotten about Gengar somewhat. Even if you know what it's running it's still nearly impossible to switch into because of its power and fantastic coverage. If rocks are up and Gliscor hasn't activated it Toxic Orb yet, Gengar just powers through it with 2 Shadow Balls. I've primarily run the LO set although I tried out Choice Scarf for a bit (it's alright as a late game cleaner but dark types need to be removed). I really want to try out some other sets like Hex/Will-O-Wisp and SubSplit (maybe add this one to the OP, I hear it's pretty good) since they seem underprepared for and function quite differently.
The Hex set should definitely mention Rotom-W among partners. Slow Volt Switch, two status options to power up Hex, bulky pivot to Gengar's frail sweeper/wallbreaker, and Gengar resists Rotom-W's one weakness (which affords decent switch opportunities for hard entry). Toxic Heatran might be another good one, Gengar immune to Fighting and Ground while Heatran absorbs Psychic attacks for it.

I would use Sludge Bomb over Sludge Wave on the LO 4 attacks set due to the 30% poison chance. In fact that is usually used over sludge wave because the power increase is rarely helpful and the random poison chance Bomb provides can be very helpful. Same goes for the hex set.

I would use Sludge Bomb over Sludge Wave on the LO 4 attacks set due to the 30% poison chance. In fact that is usually used over sludge wave because the power increase is rarely helpful and the random poison chance Bomb provides can be very helpful. Same goes for the hex set.
Sludge Bomb is blocked by Chesnaught's Bulletproof, hence why it's not used.

Does Venoshock deserve a mention in notable moves?
It's a pretty cool option to pair up with toxic spikes stacking teams.
Also Starmie has stayed OU for all generations too :]

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Does Venoshock deserve a mention in notable moves?
It's a pretty cool option to pair up with toxic spikes stacking teams.
Also Starmie has stayed OU for all generations too :]
What does that do which Hex doesnt? :P
Hex is easily superior since it's run with wisp and you can burn stuff that's immune to tspikes.

I guess being able to have a good chance to OHKO Sylveon and AV Azumarill after SR (if statused) is kinda cool.
Venoshock is really team specific and can free up a moveslot (doesn't have to run wisp) and really dedicated toxic spike stacking teams, and gives gengar a solid, powerful STAB move that can be used to hit dark-types when focus blast may be unreliable.
Reliably 2HKOs Mega Gyaradoso on the switch with tspikes up, and is also a neat way of beating mandibuzz (if statused).

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Problem with Venoshock is the target has to be poisoned rather than just statused which is a lot more situational so I'd say go with Hex which has better neutral coverage. The only mon it would be reliable against is Gliscor which resists poison type attacks anyway.

As for SubSplit it gives Gengar a different way to whittle down switch-ins that can normally take it on while recovering some of its own HP. I haven't used it yet so that's basically all I got but I know AM has used it and he posted a core with it in the Good Cores thread so maybe he could shed more light on the matter.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Sub-Split, Ghost STAB, coverage / utility. I like Shadow Ball, Focus Blast for offensive sets and Hex, Will-O-Wisp for more utility Sub-Split sets. Depending on team needs Sludge Wave can go somewhere. If my team is fairy weak and I have enough Dark and Ghost utility sometimes I'll just go Sludge Wave > Shadow Ball on the set. Sort of a team dependent thing when it comes to Gengar sets but Shadow Ball, Focus Blast, Sub, Pain Split is my favorite of the Sub-Split variants. Other mentions that don't need slashes but should be considered are Thunderbolt for Tentacruel and Mandibuzz, Mean Look, Pain Split 3 attack Life Orb sets. Hex Life Orb is cool for doing some major damage with a mixture of offense and utility but I think that's just more reference than something that should be mentioned.

Specs Gengar is actually kind of hilarious for shits and giggles that can do well in practice although I wouldn't really advocate it for beginners. I'd go ahead and remove that and let people use their imagination to go with that if they wanted to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)