XY Ubers Genesect weathers the storms

So I've found this team is pretty solid! But as you guys are the experts, I was wondering if you saw any glaring weaknesses in the team that maybe I didn't.

genesect.png 382.png 598.png arceus-fairy.png 645-s.png 094-m.png

Teambuilding:

This team was originally created in the days of Black and White 1 based around Kyogre, but as Genesect was banned to ubers, the team quickly revolved around it. Ferrothorn was added pretty early as a defensive wall, and pokemon like Lugia, Ho-oh, Arceus Ghost, Electric, Grass, Ground, Steel and E-killer, Groudon, Mega-Mawile, Scarf-Gardevoir, Shaymin-Sky, Lando-T, Klefki and Mega-Gengar have all come in revolving around that core of 3. With the introduction of Fairy type, and the Era of Xerneas, it became more apparent of Genesect's reign, though weather nerf hit it hard with the increase in fire damage. Weather became more important with its decreased length and T-tar eventually made it onto the scene-- D-dance becoming SpDef support as Mega-Gengar became suspected. Arceus Fairy reemerged as the victor over other Arceus when Palkia found it still reigned supreme around Ubers, and Reshiram was finally added as Ferrothorn increased popularity again alongside Xerneas.

Enter: The Team
genesect.png

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- ExtremeSpeed
- Iron Head
- Ice Beam
- U-turn

This team is based around Scarf Genesect, with 489 speed it becomes one of the fastest mons in the tier, out speeding everything but Deo-Speed, +2 Xerneas with 44 or more EV's in Speed, +2 Blaziken, or base 100+ scarf users. It becomes an excellent Pivot into weather control, and proper resists that this team favors. Each move is carefully selected to beat one common threat that otherwise, the team would fall to.

However, it is important to remember minimum damages minus the Download effect, so you don't send Genesect into a losing battle, as it is often the win condition.

Extremespeed outspeeds everything in the tier, including E-killer Arceus, dealing at a minimum 23%, and 38% to SD Rayquaza, as well as 20% to Xerneas with at least 44 EV speed and a Geomancy boost, and the typical 32 EV defense.

Iron Head is mostly for Xerneas and Fairy Arceus, who otherwise run the tier. Genesect can get a good switch in simultaneously as Xerneas, and throw off an Iron Head, which no opposing member will appreciate. However, it will get off a minimum of 60% against the monster, which is more than enough when combined with SR damage, to switch out, take a Moonblast or HP fire, and switch back in with E-speed to clean up.

Ice Beam is what makes this set interesting. I added it originally to deal with defensive walls, and hit it hard with a special attack. Groudon was the mon that came to mind first, as it does a minimum 61% to the standard support set, and 68% to the Rock Polish variant, which otherwise does a lot of damage to my team. Ice Beam also deals with Landorus, Xerneas and DD Dragonite, which otherwise can become very problematic.

U-turn is the main move you will be using though, making Genesect the ultimate scout, and crippling Darkrai, Deoxys and Mewtwo before they can even attack.

Most games end for me when Genesect is the last pokemon. The earlier Genesect is down, the easier it is for my opponent to get the upper hand. Having a fast and strong glass cannon in the back is the win condition-- especially if it's also your lead, and you feign your opponents into showing "your hand" in what this pokemon is.

382.png

Kyogre @ Leftovers
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpA
Bold Nature
- Thunder
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Thunder Wave

I sculpted this Kyogre to deal with other Kyogres for the most part, though the investment in Defense was to lure in typical physical attackers that could often beat Kyogre and hit them with T-wave. With the current EVs, Kyogre will always deal more damage to Scarf-Ogre than it can deal to it. The set is standard rain coverage and is meant to cripple offensive mons more than it is to be a force of attacking itself. EVs can be adjusted depending on where in the ladder you use it, and what you typically fall to.

598.png

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 SpD EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Impish Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip Gyro Ball
- Thunder Wave Protect

Steel/Grass is always a shockingly good typing, making Ground types neutral, and only being weak to Fire-- in which Kyogre steps in happily, or Fighting, in which Arceus-Fairy takes the reigns. Stealth Rock is incredibly important in Ubers, as switching is often frequent to create the best match-up, and Stealth Rock itself hits flying types like Lugia and Ho-oh incredibly hard, making them much easier to deal with. Leech Seed causes switching pressure from the opponent, as the survivability of Ferrothorn goes up dramatically with regen. Thunder Wave is to cripple opponents like Blaziken and Arceus, which will attempt to set up on you. Power Whip is the only questionable one. I decided to put it in to deal with threats like Rotom-W, as Gyro Ball wouldn't be doing what I needed it to as well as Genesect could use Iron Head. Gyro Ball was eventually chosen over Power Whip as a secondary Xerneas killer

arceus-fairy.png

Arceus-Fairy @ Pixie Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 160 HP / 252 SpA / 96 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Judgment
- Recover/Refresh
- Psyshock/Focus Blast

Fairy Type is incredibly strong in every meta-game currently. With the lack of Poison and Steel offensive threats, Arceus-Fairy comes in on the massive amount of Fighting and Dragon Types, especially those that are Choiced, can set up a Calm Mind and proceed to take out a large chunk of the meta-game that doesn't resist it. Palkia is a huge problem without Fairy Arceus. The EVs are chosen to always outspeed non-scarfed Palkia, and at +1 will always 2HKO E-Speed Arceus. Psyshock was chosen to deal with Arceus-Poison-- though not very common, can otherwise wreak havoc on a team and Mega-Gengar. Focus Blast can be chosen to deal with Ferrothorn and Dialga. Refresh or Recover can be chosen between to either recover HP, or deal with stall as is per your play style.

645-s.png
Landorus-Therian @ Lum Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Toxic

Landorus- besides adding a second pivot to the team-- creating helpful intimidate support, and having excellent typing, checks Mega-Gengar, Ho-oh and T-tar-- otherwise hard threats to the team. It is a pivotal pokemon that puts in more than its worth. Lum Berry is chosen over Earth Plate or Life Orb to reduce the chance of burn or sleep, or to allow it a free switch in on Darkrai or a well predicted Will-O.

094-m.png

Gengar @ Gengarite
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Destiny Bond
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast

Mega-Gengar was added last, as a replacement for Scarf-Reshiram, as its trapping powers and ability to beat opposing steel types was unmatched, and worked excellently alongside CM Fairy Arceus. Taunt allows it to beat Stall and other walls, crippling Ferrothorn, Giratina and Lugia, while Destiny Bond beats choiced users which otherwise may defeat the whole team. Sludge Wave and Focus Blast create nearly perfect coverage, and both hit hard with Gengar's high Special Attack

Threats:
Lugia and Dialga can be large threats, and must be taken out systematically, instead of aggressively, which changes the style of play from the very beginning. Darkrai can be obnoxious, as sentencing a pokemon to sleep can change the way you have to pivot around the opponents team, but Genesect on a proper switch in does a very good job of taking care of that. Excadrill, with it's spin and Sand Rush, can also cause a lot of problems. Ferrothorn is a soft counter, but unreliable. Klefki isn't a threat, but Prankster and T-wave/Screens can get disruptive.

Conclusion and suggested playstyle:
This team is a focus around Genesect, but in an oblong and not obvious way. Genesect is often the first and the last pokemon you will use, and the predicted switches is the way you'll want to go. Weather control is helpful in many situations. Stealth Rock is pivotal, and Defoggers/Spinners should be taken care of immediately with appropriate Pokemon.

Shout out to Lemonade. who did a phenomenal job analyzing and coming up with the best solutions for the team. It's as much Lemonade's team at this moment as it is mine.

Attachments

Last edited:

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey there, cool team. Gene is a cool mon, but it is not a reliable GeoXern killer without Webs.

+2 252+ SpA Fairy Aura Xerneas Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Genesect: 239-282 (84.4 - 99.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Because you are running Scarf with U-turn, it is very likely you will take 2 or more instances of Stealth Rock damage, meaning Moonblast just KOes it. The most efficient option would probably be to switch Power Whip for Gyro Ball on Ferrothorn. It does 74% minimum to Xerneas with minumum Speed, meaning Genesect will be able to finish it off with ESpeed. Ferro also lives +2 Focus Blast and Rain HP Fire. There is also little reason to run physical defense since most of the threats you are checking are special, or resisted (mostly Zekrom). You really need the SpD to switch in to Kyogre reliably and fire off a Leech Seed to get some HP back or set up a Spike (more on your Kyogre later) Lastly, Spikes > Stealth Rock as you already have Rocks. While it is nice to have 2 SR setters, it is redundant and Ferrothorn has many opportunities to come in and get up a Spike layer. The full set is below.

EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
0 Spe IVs (not the correct format, idr how to)
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Thunder Wave

Next, even with rain Ho-Oh still gives you trouble (Sacred Fire still OHKOes in Rain, Brave Bird kills everything else except TTar). I don't really think Ttar is worth the Mega Slot in Ubers, and you could make use of another Mega which I will get to later. The decreased bulk of normal Ttar means you can't avoid the 2HKO from Ho-Oh's Earthquake, but you still take its STABs very easily (and can live STAB + EQ), giving you a somewhat reliable check. I feel that Lum Berry could be beneficial just as an insurance against burns. Ttar is still a bit important for eliminating Mega-Gar so Arceus can sweep, so you should keep it. Also keep in mind that on the ladder the most common Gengar set is dual STAB with Taunt and Dbond, but Focus Blast will give you trouble.

Jumping back really quickly to Fairy Arceus, I think you could benefit from running Refresh over other coverage options and let your team deal with them. This lets you beat most stall after eliminating some Steel-types and overall check a lot of threats without being worn down by status.

I do not feel Reshiram is a very good choice, especially with Rain and Sand hindering it's effectiveness (Rain makes it loses damage, Sand makes it take more residual damage on top of Rocks, when you don't have hazard control). I think you could make Kyogre your Scarfer, as SpD Ferrothorn deals with opposing Kyogres quite well (you don't really need to hit it SE, you just need to wear it down so Water Spout's damage is much lower). This opens up Reshiram's spot for Mega Gengar, which will be very helpful in eliminating Steel-types that will prevent Arceus-Fairy from sweeping. A moveset of Taunt, Destiny Bond, Shadow Ball, and either Hidden Power Fire or Focus Blast would accomplish this depending on how you like using your Kyogre and if Rain will be up when you try to trap a Steel. HP Fire obviously has better accuracy and more power vs. Ferrothorn and Scizor outside of rain (main threats to Fairy Arceus), but Focus Blast will nail Ferro in rain (CM Refresh sets up on Dialga outside of Roar and offensive variants which are rare, worst case last mon Arceus-Fairy). It's also a check to EKiller if you Mega-Evo early, which your team needs kind of needs. Anyway that's all I have, hope I helped!

I may be wrong about this, but I feel Arceus-Fairy is better in a support role than in an offensive sweeper role, mainly because GeoXern makes a stronger sweeper. Geomancy has the benefit of making you imediately threating and also gives you a +2 boost to speed as well, which is one of the main draws of using Xerneas as a sweeper. Because of this I think you should change FairyCeus to a GeoXern.
Xerneas @ Power Herb
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 32 HP / 252 SpA / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
- Geomancy
- Moonblast
- Thunder
- Focus Blast / Hidden Power Fire
Also, for your Kyogre to be able to check it needs more Special Defense, and even then it doesn't appreciate a Specs Kyogre's Water Spout.

Lastly, what do you have to stop an EKiller Arceus once it sets up? Flamethrower / Overheat EKiller can sweep your team of M-Tyranitar goes down, and nothing on your team can revenge kill it effectively. To help remedy this, I would change Reshiram, which synergises poorly with Kyogre, to an Arceus-Ghost, which is one of the best EKiller check.
Arceus-Ghost @ Spooky Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 248 HP / 144 Def / 116 Spe
Timid Nature
- Judgment
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Defog / Calm Mind
Good luck with your team, and I hope I helped you out. :)
The only reason I didn't want Xerneas over Arceus-Fairy is the reason you stated in your second paragraph-- GeoXern doesn't check E-Killer. Arceus doesn't do much of a "sweeping" role more as it creates pressure. However, I agree that it needs to be adjusted-- Arceus Ghost looks promising, but allows for Palkia to come in too often with too much damage.

Hey there, cool team. Gene is a cool mon, but it is not a reliable GeoXern killer without Webs.

+2 252+ SpA Fairy Aura Xerneas Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Genesect: 239-282 (84.4 - 99.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Because you are running Scarf with U-turn, it is very likely you will take 2 or more instances of Stealth Rock damage, meaning Moonblast just KOes it. The most efficient option would probably be to switch Power Whip for Gyro Ball on Ferrothorn. It does 74% minimum to Xerneas with minumum Speed, meaning Genesect will be able to finish it off with ESpeed. Ferro also lives +2 Focus Blast and Rain HP Fire. There is also little reason to run physical defense since most of the threats you are checking are special, or resisted (mostly Zekrom). You really need the SpD to switch in to Kyogre reliably and fire off a Leech Seed to get some HP back or set up a Spike (more on your Kyogre later) Lastly, Spikes > Stealth Rock as you already have Rocks. While it is nice to have 2 SR setters, it is redundant and Ferrothorn has many opportunities to come in and get up a Spike layer. The full set is below.

EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
0 Spe IVs (not the correct format, idr how to)
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Thunder Wave

Next, even with rain Ho-Oh still gives you trouble (Sacred Fire still OHKOes in Rain, Brave Bird kills everything else except TTar). I don't really think Ttar is worth the Mega Slot in Ubers, and you could make use of another Mega which I will get to later. The decreased bulk of normal Ttar means you can't avoid the 2HKO from Ho-Oh's Earthquake, but you still take its STABs very easily (and can live STAB + EQ), giving you a somewhat reliable check. I feel that Lum Berry could be beneficial just as an insurance against burns. Ttar is still a bit important for eliminating Mega-Gar so Arceus can sweep, so you should keep it. Also keep in mind that on the ladder the most common Gengar set is dual STAB with Taunt and Dbond, but Focus Blast will give you trouble.

Jumping back really quickly to Fairy Arceus, I think you could benefit from running Refresh over other coverage options and let your team deal with them. This lets you beat most stall after eliminating some Steel-types and overall check a lot of threats without being worn down by status.

I do not feel Reshiram is a very good choice, especially with Rain and Sand hindering it's effectiveness (Rain makes it loses damage, Sand makes it take more residual damage on top of Rocks, when you don't have hazard control). I think you could make Kyogre your Scarfer, as SpD Ferrothorn deals with opposing Kyogres quite well (you don't really need to hit it SE, you just need to wear it down so Water Spout's damage is much lower). This opens up Reshiram's spot for Mega Gengar, which will be very helpful in eliminating Steel-types that will prevent Arceus-Fairy from sweeping. A moveset of Taunt, Destiny Bond, Shadow Ball, and either Hidden Power Fire or Focus Blast would accomplish this depending on how you like using your Kyogre and if Rain will be up when you try to trap a Steel. HP Fire obviously has better accuracy and more power vs. Ferrothorn and Scizor outside of rain (main threats to Fairy Arceus), but Focus Blast will nail Ferro in rain (CM Refresh sets up on Dialga outside of Roar and offensive variants which are rare, worst case last mon Arceus-Fairy). It's also a check to EKiller if you Mega-Evo early, which your team needs kind of needs. Anyway that's all I have, hope I helped!
This is more like what I was looking. As I started to ladder, I found Power Whip more and more useless, and the physical defense was only useful for Mega-K-khan. However, I think I'll keep rocks if I'm getting rid of T-tar.
T-tar was added mostly just for Mega-Gengar countering, but as the suspect test is dying, the over-prevalence is as well and it's starting to become useless. I've toyed with making my Kyogre scarfed, but it's just not my style. I prefer a utility, and I have yet to lose to an opposing Scarf-Ogre, whether that's luck or skill I don't know.
Your Mega-Gengar suggestion is great, and I think I'll actually implement it over the Reshiram slot, which makes T-tar useless. I however, have to wonder what to do with t-tar, as without the added bulk it falls far too easily. Do you have suggestions?

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
You could probably run physically defensive Landorus-T maybe, with EQ, Stone Edge, Stealth Rock, and Toxic (so you can move Spikes back to Ferro, Spikes are just really good). It helps deal with Ho-Oh and the Intimidate is nice for other potential boosters like Groudon. Also if you're keeping your Kyogre set then you should probably run Protect over TWave on Ferro, as it doesn't synergize well with Gyro Ball and Protect helps a ton in whittling down the opponent and increasing your own survivability.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)