First Team... Tried it a bit but is it good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's my team, and it's my first one. I'm new to wifi battling so its probably a bit generic... The team is Mamoswine, Starmie, Rotom-W, Scizor, (Mega) Kangaskhan and Talonflame.

Mamoswine
a/Thick Fat w/Focus Sash
Adamant
EV 252Atk 252Spe 4Def
Stealth Rock, Earthquake, Ice Shard, Stone Edge

This will be my hazard setter and lead, as well as a sweeper if the enemy team is weak to it. The sash is to allow me to definitely get off the rocks, and the EV layout lets me out speed as much as I can.

Starmie
a/Natural Cure w/Life Orb
Timid
EV 252SpA 252Spe 4Def
Rapid Spin, Hydro Pump, Ice Beam, HP Fire

Starmie will be my spinner as well as a more offensive pokemon too. I replaced thunderbolt with HP fire because ferrothorns kept on switching in to me an being basically immune to everything I could do.

Rotom-W
a/Levitate w/Leftovers
Calm
EV 252HP 160Def 39SpA 59SpD
Hydro Pump, Will-o-Wisp, HP Ice, Volt Switch

Rotom is the only pokemon on this team that can take a hit, and I have him set up with equal defences to tank as many threats as possible. Rotom is also my only status-ing 'mon so I'll use it's will-o-wisp a lot. Rotom is extremely flexible so I'll often use it as a lead.

Scizor
a/Technician w/Choice Band
Adamant
EV 252Atk 252Hp 4Def
Bullet Punch, U-Turn, Pursuit, Quick Attack

I chose a banded scizor because I wanted to use u-turn as powerfully as possible. He also can hit most pokemon neutral with the priority attacks, but I put pursuit in as more as a slot filler than anything else. Is it a useful move or is there a better use for the slot?

Kangaskhan
a/Scrappy w/Kangaskhanite
Adamant
EV 252Atk 252Spe 4Hp
Power-Up Punch, Earthquake, Sucker Punch, Return

Kangaskhan is my mega evo because its, well, amazing. I chose top speed EV to outspend other mega Kangaskhans to allow me to get off a power-up punch first. Sucker punch is also useful against threats like alakazam and gengar, and because of parental bond can always out speed and OHKO a smeargle even if it has a sash.

Talonflame
a/Gale Wings w/Life Orb
Adamant
EV 252Hp 252Atk 4Spe
Brave Bird, Flare Blitz, Roost, Swords Dance

Talonflame is my hard hitter, and after just one SD it can cripple almost anything. I'm not sure whether to use leftovers or a life orb. The HP EVs allow me to do as much damage as possible before having to use roost (or just dying), and the 4Spe EVs will hopefully allow me to outspeed other Talonflames that have no speed EVs.

EVs are in count by fours, so having EVs that are 39 and 59 in pointless. If you're thinking of running a defensive Rotom I would give it 252 in both defense and HP instead of being spread out as such. Also, though I haven't ran a leftovers Rotom yet, I can say that a resto-chesto set has been working very well for me. Still arguable since HP ice is useful for things like Garchomp, but that just my opinion.
The Kangaskhan set looks pretty good except for the nature. Parental bond gives Kangaskhan almost all the attack it needs, and it isn't quite fast enough so that it's safe to run adamant. Running a +speed nature seems more beneficial.
For your Scizor, I would recommend having brick break over quick attack, otherwise you get completely walled by iron barbs Ferrothorn. And having both quick attack and bullet punch is redundant.
I would recommend putting icicle crash over stone edge as STAB is gained so it has more power and more accuracy. It also provides better type coverage as earthquake covers fire types and icicle crash covers flying + more.
I can recommend 2 sets for talonflame. Run a leftovers set with Swords dance, brave bird, flare blitz, and u-turn or a life orb set with roost, brave bird, flare blitz and u-turn. As Tyranitar is very common, u-turn is almost essential otherwise you can't do anything against it.
As far as Starmie goes, I would get rid of ice beam for Psychic as it allows for more type coverage as you have Hydro Pump.

Shinobi_Warrior, please go over to the mentorship program. This team is to abstract, and trying to make it viable would change it too much, and then it wouldn't be 'your team' anymore. The guys over at Battleing 101 can teach you all the basics and get you on the road to true competitive battling. Welcome to Smogon :D

Reymedy

ne craint personne
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hello.

Your layout, and your descriptions are not meeting the rules requirements.
PM me an updated version of this thread and I'll unlock it.

Have a nice day, and welcome on Smogon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)