First Smogon RMT: OU Heavy Offense

Hello all. I've been playing competitive for about six months now, and I've got a fair handle on battling. So, I figured it's about time I posted my first RMT.

This team is very offensive, as only one Pokemon on the team could be considered defensive. It has some nice synergy, but also several problems, mainly with certain fairly common threats. I'm posting this for help with correcting them.

If you have a suggestion, a question, or a correction, please post it. I don't bite... hard...

Changes or additions will be bolded.

Azelf @ Focus Sash
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 56 Atk / 200 SpA / 252 Spe
Nature: Naive (+Spe -Sp.Def)
-Taunt
-Stealth Rock
-Fire Blast
-Explosion

Azelf is a great lead for my team, it's fast, it keeps the rocks off the field, it gets SR to abuse itself, it can hit the ever common Steel leads of OU hard with Fire Blast, and it carries the threat of Explosion, which leads to quite a few mispredicts from my opponent. I modified its EVs slightly to give it an Attack stat of 300, bumping up the power of Explosion while still managing to net the critical 2HKO on Bronzong with Fire Blast.

Dragonite (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Nature: Quiet
-Draco Meteor
-Fire Blast
-Superpower
-Extremespeed

Yes, before you ask, I'm insane. This one was originally a Bulky Dragon Dancer, but I found that it clashed with Scizor and was more of a hindrance than a help. This is a variant of the standard Anti-Lead set, which I chose because it carries Extremespeed for revenge killing and max SpA Draco Meteor, something no other set can claim. The only real way it's modified is Superpower. The standard Anti-Lead Dragonite has Earthquake in that slot, but Superpower allows him to OHKO Blissey and packs a surprise for ShucaTran. This Dragonite is extremely hard to switch into if used properly, which is why I'm using him for mid-late game rather than an Anti-Lead.

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 136 Hp / 156 Def / 216 Spe
Nature: Timid
-Surf
-Rapid Spin
-Thunderbolt
-Recover

Standard Rapid Spinner set. Starmie has a three fold role in the team. Being a semi-bulky water, functioning as my Gyara counter, and working as an excellent Rapid Spinner. When I said that only one Pokemon on my team could be considered defensive, I was talking about Starmie. Its probably the weakest link in the team, but it's also a very necessary link.

Heatran (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Nature: Naive
-Flamethrower
-Earth Power
-Explosion
-HP Ice

Heatran is probably the most dependable Pokemon I've ever used, usually doing heavy damage to at least three opposing Pokemon before it's done. Standard Choice Scarf set, Flamethrower is STAB, Earth Power is for general coverage, Explosion is for a last resort move, and HP Ice hits Mence and Flygon harder than anything else Heatran could pack. I've decided to use a Naive nature rather than Rash, seeing as the extra speed is generally more helpful. Very few people expect to see a Naive ScarfTran anymore.

Shaymin @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 Hp / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Nature: Timid
-Seed Flare
-Earth Power
-HP Ice
-Rest

This little thing is a killer, usually nets me 1-2 KOs in every battle. STAB Seed Flare with a LO boost is incredibly powerful, and the probability of a sharp SpD drop is enough to send most switch-ins scurrying out again. Earth Power hurts Heatran worse than a hangover, and HP Ice kicks Mence, Nite, and Flygon in the head. Rest is really a boon here, a weakened Shaymin can switch into something weakened that it outspeeds, use Rest to heal completely, and switch in a teammate to counter whatever you opponent switched in to combat it, only to come out later with no sleep handicap. Max Speed so that Shaymin can speed tie with Max Speed Mence and other Base 100's.

Scizor @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 32 Hp / 252 Atk / 224 Spe
Nature: Adamant
-Bullet Punch
-Brick Break
-Bug Bite
-Swords Dance

Old school SD Scizor. I tend to prefer him to the max speed Adamant models, as this Scizor already outspeeds most of what the max speed one outspeeds and gets the benefit of the doubt against everything it doesn't. EV'd to outpace Max Speed Adamant Tyranitar so it can kill with Bug Bite or Brick Break, not taking the risk on a Babiri Berry. Unlike most players, I tend to bring out Scizor in the early-mid stages of the match to gain the upper hand early and scout what possible counters my opponent could have for him. Bug Bite is the superior option to Roost in my opinion, it allows for a boosted 2HKO on Suicune and Swampert, and an OHKO on Vaporeon with Stealth Rock support after a Swords Dance. Brick Break covers Steel types, and Bullet Punch is... well, Bullet Punch.

I think that about covers it. Next post will contain the threats list. Cheers, and thanks for rating my team.

Threats List

Tyranitar- Anything but Bait Tyranitar falls to Scizor. DDTar with a Babiri Berry can also be problematic if it dances on the switch.

Salamence- DD models are defeated by a combination of Scizor and Dragonite. Non-DD models are usually taken care of by ScarfTran and checked by Shaymin.

Dragonite- See Mence.

Weavile-Scizor is really my only counter for the thing, Heatran is only a check as Low Kick will OHKO him.

Flygon- No real counter, but Scizor, Dragonite, Shaymin, and Heatran can mostly assure he'll only get one of my team members max.

Heatran- Checked by Shaymin, Dragonite, Starmie, and my own Heatran.

Scizor- Checked by Heatran, and to an extent, Dragonite.

Gyarados- Countered by Starmie.

Metagross- Heatran is a shaky check, and Scizor can 2HKO it with Bug Bite, but that's about it.

Starmie- Scizor and Shaymin check him, Dragonite can finish him off if he's weakened.

Jolteon- Nobody. I can defeat SpecsJolt with prediction, and I can revenge any Jolteon with Heatran and sometimes Dragonite, but I have no reliable counter or check for him.

Infernape- Checked by Starmie. Models not carrying Stone Edge or HP Ice are also countered by Dragonite.

Lucario- Heatran checks him, and Shaymin can revenge kill him.

Suicune- Checked by Scizor, Dragonite, and Shaymin, depending on set.

Kingdra- Checked by Shaymin, Starmie, or Scizor depending on set.

Gliscor- Checked by Shaymin and Starmie.

Jirachi- Heatran is all I've got. Shaymin can do a reasonable job against ones that don't carry Fire/Ice Punch. Same story with Scizor against models without Fire Punch.

Empoleon- Checked by Starmie and Scizor.

Heracross- Um... nothing. Thank god he's uncommon.

Yanmega- Checked by Scizor and almost countered by Dragonite. Scarfed ones with Tinted Lens just scream "RAPE!!!", though.

Mamoswine- Checked by Scizor and Starmie.

Electivire- Checked by Heatran and Shaymin. Both are rather shaky, though.

Machamp- Damn near impossible to get rid of. I have to sacrifice at least one Pokemon to kill him at all.

Breloom- Dealt with by Starmie and Shaymin thanks to Natural Cure and healing moves.

Swampert- Shaymin. If it's down, Starmie and Scizor can both kill it off.

Togekiss- Erm... Scizor and Starmie are sorta checks.

More as I think of them or when someone else alerts me to them.​

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)