FIRE OFFENSE (ranked #45)

WECAMEASROMANS

Banned deucer.
INTRO

Yeah so basically this is my first successful uber team in the 5th generation. My last team I tried was centered around Kyogre's rain, but after a few matches I quickly found out it wasn't doing too well. So then I decided to build a brand new team focusing on Groudon's sun and abusing powerful monsters such as Ho-oh and the new Reshiram, both who are very deadly under Drought.

This team's playstyle is extremely offensive, and requires me to sac pokes numerous times in order to get a safe switch in, and then continue on trying to break my opponent's team apart. When I was building this, I basically threw out all synergy works out the window. My main priority for this team is to fuck up both stall and offensive teams. Each member of the team works independently to wear down my opponent's defenses until they have nothing to stop the rampage of my attacks. Stall teams struggle to wall my sun boosted STAB attacks and will eventually fall after countless hits. Offensive teams will rarely find a chance to set up on me, if at all, because all my attacks deal massive damage, with the exception of Forretress.

This team managed to get up to #45 on the Beta Server's wifi uber tier, getting up to a ranking of 1417 in the timespan of three days. It also beat some very well known players along the way.

A CLOSER LOOK:

Forretress @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP/4 def/252 spdef
Careful nature (+spdef, -spatk)
- Stealth rock
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid spin

Forrey is my lead. It gets up entry hazards and spins rocks away from my side of the field that could possibly hurt Ho-Oh. I get SR up down first because it is the most important obviously, and it hurts every single mon in the game. Then I usually set up spikes so stall teams will be severly hurt switching into entry hazards + my devasting attacks. Toxic spikes is there so I can wear down Chansey and Kyogre, but doesn't serve much purpose otherwise. These attacks are pretty much all Forrey needs for the uber metagame. With the explosion nerf and payback not hitting the spinblockers of the uber metagame hard enough, this is all you need.

Special bulk is maximized because most of the ubers are special attackers. I switch this thing on draco meteors and dark pulses with its impressive resistance. After Forrey gets up the desired amount of entry hazards down, more often than not it is used as death fodder or a sleep absorber. Both are incredibly valuable for this team, because my team loves switching in freely to wreak havoc.

There are several times where I don't lead with Forrey. For deoxys-e leads for instance, I lead with Groudon and activate their sash with EQ. Then I switch to Forrey, then I rapid spin all their hazards away while killing them in the process. This always works because deoxys-e will taunt Forrey, or else then I can set up free entry hazards. Against Groudon leads, my lead will be Reshiram. Since I get to see their team before hand due to wifi clause, I know which move is better to start out with on the first turn, blue fire or draco meteor. Against kyogre leads, Palkia is my lead of choice, since it 4x resists water and 2HKOes with Draco Meteor.

Groudon @ Choice Band
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 HP/252 atk/4 def
Adamant nature (+atk, -spatk)
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Fire punch

Groudon is one of the most vicious CBers in the entire game. With a monstrous base 150 attack and a powerful 100 BP STAB move that grants excellent coverage, very few things can come in on this without getting severly maimed. The best thing about CB Groudon is its surprise factor. Everyone either thinks its a support lead Groudon or a Rock polish/Swords dance set, and they heavily pay the price when they are hit with a powerful CB attack. It's Drought ability is invaluable for this team, powering up both Ho-Oh and Reshiram. It also boosts the power of Mewtwo and Palkia's fire moves as well.

Due to the newly developed wifi clause, I can decide whether or not to spam EQ early game. If they have some stuff immune to it and can use it to set up, stone edge and Dragon claw are there for coverage. Stone edge catches Shaymin-S switch ins and MixQuaza switch ins, and a CB Dragon Claw can 2HKO Giratina-A. Fire punch is for Nattorei, Forrey, and Skarm, OHKOing the former two and dealing up to 75% to a specially defensicve Skarmory. It even gets pseudo STAB from sunlight. Earthquake, however, is what truly defines this set. With SR in play, Palkia, Kingdra, Kyogre, and Mewtwo are all taken down, which puts me at a huge advantage since one of their rain abusers are out of the picture. Minimum speed is invested so I can cancel Kyogre's rain out if we switch in at the same time. I usually send out Groudon right after Forrey, so it can either kill something or severly hurt something on the switch.

Ho-Oh @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP/252 atk/8 spe
Adamant nature (+atk,-spatk)
- Substitute
- Brave bird
- Sacred Fire
- Recover

Just look at that sexy beast. If I manage to kill my opponent's SRer and spin the rocks away with Forrey, I am at a huge advantage since I can freely switch in Ho-Oh without losing 50%. Darn regernation isn't available in wifi yet, but pressure still works wonders in a sub recover set. With 248 EVs invested in HP and Ho-Oh's massive 154 base spdef stat, this thing is usually my first switch in to Deoxys-A and Darkrai (after Forrey takes the sleep). It makes an excellent Shaymin-S counter as well since it 4x resists seed flare, but it sometimes gets flinched to death. >.>

Ho-Oh is a monster in the sun. Sacred Fire now has a double STAB, and it has a ridicously high 50% chance to burn the opponent, so its obviously a given. Brave bird is included for powerful neutral coverage outside of sun, to hit stuff like Palkia and Kyogre VERY hard. Brave bird coming from this thing hits harder than a jolly Scarfchomp's outrage. Substitute is to ease prediction and just works good with pressure in general, while Recover is to gain lost HP from LO and repeated special hits. It's chosen over Roost so I can still keep my ground immunity. LO is chosen over lefties so I can hit stuff like Kyogre and Mewtwo harder. I've never tried lefties because I'm too lazy to change the item, and, well, its obviously successful. The best thing Ho-oh does for this team is to lure and eliminate Kyogre with a combination of substitute and brave bird. That means I can now switch in Groudon for eternal sunlight, and nothing will now be able to absorb my powerful special fire attacks unless your 4x resistant like Palkia or Reshiram

Reshiram @ Choice Specs
Ability: Turbo Blaze
EVs: 4 HP/252 spatk/252 spe
Modest nature (+spatk,-atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Blue Fire
- Dragon pulse
- Flamethrower

One of the most hyped 5th gen pokemon, and for good reason. With sunlight support, it becomes one of the most powerful special attackers in the entire game, capable of 2HKOing Blissey and evo stone Chansey. It falls just short of dealing the same amount of damage as a specs Water Spout from Kyogre. Blue Fire is immensely strong, with 130 BP, STAB, and sunlight to back it up. This makes it the move I spam the most. If I look at your team and I see a bunch of fire resists, I will instead spam Draco Meteor, and your switch in will be severly crippled. The coverage granted by dragon + fire is amazing, hitting everything in the game at least neutrally. Which is why there are no other type moves in his moveslot, the other two moves are when I play conservatively. You really don't need anything else other than these four. Seriously, Reshiram with sunlight support is OP as fuck, even in ubers. It's on the same par as kyogre. If I can spin rocks from my side of the field away, Reshiram will be even more deadly, since it can switch in without losing that crucial 25% of its health. With spikes and SR support, even pokemon resisting its STABs can get OHKOed. Ho-Oh takes like 75% damage from a draco meteor, which obviously is an OHKO after SR. One time Reshiram even took out a Blissey at 69% health with Blue Fire.

Mewtwo @ Life Orb
Timid nature (+spe,-atk)
- Calm mind
- Psycho Break
- Fire Blast
- Aura sphere

This is, imo, the best sweeper in the entire game. 5th gen really added the icing to the cake on Mewtwo's movepool by giving him Psycho Break. After a calm mind, Mewtwo's spatk reaches extremely high levels, allowing him to destroy my opponent. Psycho Break OHKOes Blissey after SR, and deals massive damage to Palkia, Ho-Oh, and Kyogre, meaning the need to run Thunder is reduced. Fire blast in the sun hurts a lot, and is my main move against Groudon and opposing Mewtwo. Aura sphere is here so I can revenge Darkrai when necessary, and it OHKOes both Dialga and Heatran. There is nothing else you really need to run. Ice beam can help you nail Rayquaza, Garchomp, and Giratina-A, but Psycho Break already hurts them a lot. There is no reason to run shadow ball, Fire Blast in the sun already hurts Lugia and Mewtwo. The only thing these three moves don't hit for at least neutral coverage is probably Latias and Latios, but since Soul Dew isn't allowed anymore, you won't be seeing these two in ubers that often.

I chose the standard sweeping set for Mewtwo, max speed and max special attack. The rest are dumped into HP. Timid is chosen over modest so that I can revenge kill both Shaymin-S and Darkrai.

Palkia @ Choice Specs
Timid nature (+spe, -atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Hydro Pump
- Fire Blast
- Special Rend

Palkia is my first switch in to the omnipresent Kyogre. This is extremely important, because a specs Water Spout can practically OHKO every single mon on this team. With its 4x resistance, Palkia isn't even 2HKOed by Water Spout, and then can hit Kyogre hard with a specs Draco Meteor. If I anticipate a switch, which I mostly always do since the majority of people would switch out if their Kyogre is locked on a 4x resistant move, I will use hydro pump instead of Draco Meteor. Specs hydro pump in rain is insanely powerful, doing incredible damage to the inevitable steel type that comes in to absorb DM. With SR in play, Hydro pump can 2HKO Blissey. Sadly, Evo Stone Chansey can avoid a 2HKO. However if I have enough spikes on the field, even Chansey can be 2HKOed.

After my team manages to take out Kyogre and set up sunlight once and for all, Palkia can use Fire Blast to do a considerable amount of anything that isn't 4x resistant to it. It kills shedinja that thinks I can't touch them, and it also OHKOes Forrey and Nattorei that thinks my water attacks in the sun can't do shit. Special Rend is there because... I honestly don't know. I have never used it before, but since I really don't need anything else, I just added it for the consistency. If my opponent's team is weakened enough I will just spam Special Rend until they are destroyed.

Nothing fancy about the EV spread. Again, standard 252/252 attacking set with the rest dumped in HP. Choice specs is chosen for the power it brings when it is both rainy or sunny. I have considered using a Choice Scarf to revenge kill DDRay and Darkrai, but the loss of power isn't favorable for me. Timid is chosen over modest so I can outspeed Reshiram, Zekrom, Rayquaza, Kyogre, and Groudon, while at least tying with other Palkia.

WECAMEASROMANS

Banned deucer.
Reserved for threat list.

The only types of Arceus I have any trouble with, are the normal and ghost ones that use Swords Dance. Everything else can be quickly taken down with the proper attacks. The SD ones can pretty much only set up on Forrey though since everything else can 2HKO it. If it does come in on Forrey, then I'll have to hope that my Groudon is in enough health to take a +2 STAB attack and dish back an EQ in return, or I'm at huge risk of being swept.

I let Forrey take the sleep, always. After that it will never be able to beat Ho-Oh, even if it used nasty plot, while Sacred Fire OHKOes in the sun. Pretty much everything else on my team can beat it 1 on 1, and Mewtwo can always revenge kill it when necessary if it gets too many nasty plot boosts.

If its the lead one, I immediatly lead with Ho-Oh to contend with it. Any other set can be beaten 1 on 1 by everything on this team except for probably Mewtwo and Forrey. I sac Forrey so I can switch in Ho-Oh or any of my other mons for free.

Forrey sets up against this all day and spins its hazards away. Also, it's 50 base HP is simply not enough to wall my team.

I lead with Groudon to immediatly bring it down to its sash while they SR, then I switch to Forrey as they spike. Then they taunt me, while I rapid spin all its hazards away while also killing it in the process.

CB Groudon OHKOes this. Forrey can easily sponge Draco Meteors, Reshiram severly hurts it in the sun. Palkia can revenge some if its weakened enough, and Mewtwo sets up on those at -2 or -4.

Any Giratina looking to wall my Groudon can be 2HKOed by Dragon Claw if I predict it coming. Forrey sets up hazards on this all day, but sadly can't spin, leaving my Ho-oh and Reshiram crippled with their SR weakness. Palkia and Reshiram both OHKO this thing, and Ho-oh can stall it out with pressure and deal nice damage with Brave bird. +1 Psycho boost from Mewtwo also hurts a lot, and if I manage to kill it my Forrey can have a happy day spinning.

Pretty much same as before, except my Forrey can't set up on it due to HP Fire. +1 Psycho Boost from Mewtwo has a very high chance of OHKOing after SR.

For lead Groudon, I lead with Reshiram and use either Blue Fire or Draco Meteor, depending on their team. Rock Polish and Swords Dance variants are never able to set up on me because everything on this team does just too much against it, except Forrey.

With the exception of Forrey, pretty much everything on my team beats it 1 on 1. Repeated Specs Draco Meteors are going to hurt it pretty bad, even with its base 154 special defense. And if they can't spin the rocks away, their Ho-Oh is pretty much dead. Any Ho-Oh looking to wall my Mewtwo is OHKOed by +1 Psycho Break.

Although it looks like it can be a major asshole to this team on paper, Kyogre is easily handled by this team. Kyogre leads are dealt with my Palkia lead, and SR + Spikes from my Forrey lowers Water Spout's power every time. My Groudon is also slower, so the sun will lower its water STAB. It can also OHKO it with EQ while it switches in on me, provedided SR is in play. Most come in on Ho-Oh attempting to wall it and get OHKOed by Brave Bird. Reshiram can also 2HKO this thing with DM if I predict it coming. +1 Psycho Break OHKOes. The trick to playing against Kyogre is to never let it come in for free, hitting it hard as it switches in or getting a CM boost as they switch in, then KOing it on the next turn. Obviously this is impossible if it is a lead, but then Palkia deals with it.

Forrey sets up on this with no trouble at all. Repeated fire boosted attacks or powerful specs Draco Meteors easily puts it at KO range for any of my other pokes. Just keep attacking it.

Again, opposing Mewtwo are never able to set up on this team except Forrey because everything simply does too much for it to handle. Without a boost, pretty much everything on this team can beat it 1 on 1. My +1 Mewtwo can OHKO it with a sun boost fire blast.

It can't come in at all without losing a huge chunk of its health. Most come in on Groudon but then are promptly OHKOed by a banded EQ. Ho-Oh can also kill it with Brave bird when SR is down. My own Palkia speed ties with it at the very least, and Mewtwo can set up on ones that are at -2 or -4.

Groudon can take a +1 outrage and KO back. If I see my opponent has a Rayquaza I am never going to spam EQ because I can't let it set up on me. Instead I will stone edge or dragon claw to kill it on the switch. An unboosted Rayquaza is easily handled by this team, except for possibly Reshiram.

It can't come in on anything. If it gets a free switch, it at least loses 25% due to SR. Palkia outspeeds and OHKOes, Ho-Oh can survive a DM, roost off the damage, and then kill it off with Brave Bird. +1 Mewtwo kills it, and can even set up on ones that are at -2 or -4

If I see a shaymin-s on my opponent's team I will not EQ with Groudon, instead I will stone edge or fire punch to catch them on the switch. Ho-oh does extremely well against these with its large spdef bulk and its 4x resistance. Mewtwo outspeeds and koes. Every other member can beat it 1 on 1. The only trouble I have with these is if I am unable to spin SR off my side of the field and the Shaymin-S is scarfed, then it can potentially flinch hax all my pokes to death, including Ho-oh since it loses 50% of its health already.

Groudon can come in on electric attacks and KO it. Palkia outspeeds and OHKOes. It can't even come in on ho-oh despite the resistance because it is at huge risk of getting burnt and a sun boosted sacred fire hurts it decently. Like everything else, it can't switch in.

Forrey happily sets up on both of them, seeing as no uber Blissey runs flamethrower. These really aren't a problem. Even my two powerful special attackers, palkia and reshiram, can 2HKO them. If its in the rain, palkia can 2hko them provided enough entry hazards are down. If its in the sun, Reshiram can 2HKO them regardless. These things also don't wall Mewtwo any longer, since a boosted psycho break will kill them.

Everything. fuck sturdy

It can't come in anywhere without losing a whole chunk of its health. SD ones cannot set up at all, and scarf ones locked into outrage are set up bait for Forrey. My Groudon does a really nice job of walling these, and as always Mewtwo can always kill it.

If it's not sunny, Palkia is my first switch in, as it is 4x resistant to fire and OHKOes back with hydro pump. If it is sunny, Reshiram is my first switch in and can fire back a blue fire without fear of flash fire thanks to turbo blaze. Ho-oh can't do anything back to it, but it can alternate between sub and recover and eventually stall it out with pressure

I can't imagine how you would take down Kyogre. I would really really really put Thunder over Spacial Rend on Palkia. It won't really be sweeping that much with Scarf Zekrom trolling the whole metagame. Just a nitpick though

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Thunder>Hydro Pump on Palkia. You need it for Kyogre and on a sun team Water attacks kind of suck. :/

I think you're kind of overdoing it with all 3 hazards on Forry. I'd drop one (probably Spikes as TSpikes + Sub Ho-Oh is evil) and use a different move instead. I'd probably use Toxic just so you have an easy way to keep Lugia at bay. It also stops Forry from becoming set up bait. Volt Change and Gyro Ball are also options.

This team looks a bit weak to Extremekiller Arceus and you sorely lack a good revenge killer. I'd change Palkia to a Scarf set so you can revenge things such as other Mewtwo and DD Ray that will otherwise make your life miserable. You could also drop one of Groudon's move for Hammer Arm to help deal with Extremekiller (Stone Edge is probably the least useful as you have Lugia covered.)

If you don't wanna do that, you could drop Mewtwo for something like this:

Arceus @ Spooky Plate
-Timid Nature
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Speed
-Judgment
-Recover
-Will-O-Wisp
-Roar

This gives you a sturdy spinblocker, an Extremekiller Arceus counter, and just a good offensive mon that can really hurt things with strong STAB Judgment. This combined with Ho-Oh/Resh/Don will still let you smash stall, so you won't miss Mewtwo much.

GL with the team. Hope I helped!

WECAMEASROMANS

Banned deucer.
Thunder has replaced special rend for Palkia, to help take down Kyogre better. I'd prefer to keep hydro pump because you never know when it will come in handy when the rain is up.

Hammer arm has replaced stone edge for Groudon, and its doing much better than before. It helps alleviate my SD arceus weakness

And Forrey stays the same. I've tried both volt change and gyro ball, but they weren't that effective. For forrey, I can set up a little bit of everything depending on the team

I have 3 suggestions.
1. If you're running non-regeneration ho-oh, roost is better than recover
2. Dragon claw/outrage on reshiram, not necessary, but helpful for everyones favorite pink tub of lard
3. Dragon tail over claw on groudon could work, at least to be annoying

syrim

1x1x1x1x1x1x1x1x1x1
I'm sure you know this, but Modest specs resh still needs SR to 2hko Chansey.
Also I agree with the suggestions to change palkia's item to a scarf. As an expierienced Specs Palkia user, you don't have near the support neccesary for it to be successful, and Resh performs a very similar job. Scarf with Outrage included somewhere gives you the ability to revenge a slightly weakened mewtwo, and many other threats. The Extreme killer weakness is disturbing, I guess you'll have to be very careful with groudon. Also some of the damage listings in your threat list are a little ambtious. For instance, Ho-oh isn't ohkoing any bulky ogre without three layers of entry hazards, and since you lack a spin blocker, this isn't likely.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)