Dugtrio (QC 3/3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Dugtrio

I thought I'd explain here why I chose Night Slash over Shadow Claw. Obviously, it only matters in the case where the opponent switches out of dugtrio, but hitting normal types at all seems more important than hitting fighting types neutrally. Nothing has justified in NU either IIRC.

[Overview]
  • It's a trap!
  • Arena Trap is what makes Dugtrio viable; with the right (grounded) Pokemon removed, you can easily clean up with one of many available sweepers.
  • The contribution Dugtrio makes to your team can be more subtle. Team preview reveals Dugtrio's presence immediately, but this can work to your advantage. Dugtrio has a psychological effect on the opponent, often leading to cautious play with their most important Pokemon.
  • Also packs excellent Speed, letting it outrun pretty much everything in the metagame except Electrode, Ninjask, and various Scarfers.
  • Passable Attack stat backs up decent attacking movepool, including the Earthquake + Stone Edge combination.
  • However, has appalling defenses. Unlikely to survive a hit without Focus Sash.
  • Can also attempt to support a little by setting up SR.

[SET]
name: Revenge Killer
move 1: Earthquake
move 2: Stone Edge
move 3: Sucker Punch
move 4: Night Slash / Substitute
item: Choice Band / Life Orb
ability: Arena Trap
nature: Jolly / Adamant
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
  • Uncomplicated set, focusing on coverage and letting Dugtrio take out as many trapped opponents as possible.
  • Earthquake is the main move, with STAB and a high Base Power
  • Stone Edge hits Flying types, and offers great neutral coverage with EQ.
  • Sucker Punch lets Dugtrio hit faster opponents, and those with priority moves of their own (not extremespeed). Also hits Ghost and Psychic types, many of which are immune to EQ.
  • Night Slash hits ghosts and psychics that don't attack directly.
  • Substitute (with LO) protects Dugtrio from status moves, and helps to take advantage of truly helpless opponents (e.g those locked into electric-type moves).
[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
  • Choice Band is the preferred item, as the power of Earthquake determines what Dugtrio can and can't trap. Apart from when using Sucker Punch, no prediction is really required.
  • Life Orb makes Dugtrio harder to set up on, and makes Sucker Punch much less risky.
  • EVs are simple; defenses are not worth trying to save. Maximum power and speed preferred.
  • Nature is a less obvious choice. Jolly lets Dugtrio outrun all Scolipede, Tauros, Cryogonal and Kadabra (would otherwise tie), and certain scarfers, while tying opposing Dugtrio. Adamant brings a substantial increase in power.
  • Teammates should be sweepers with grounded checks, preferably weak to Ground. Swellow, for example.
[SET]
name: Reversal
move 1: Earthquake
move 2: Stone Edge
move 3: Stealth Rock
move 4: Reversal
item: Focus Sash
ability: Arena Trap
nature: Jolly / Adamant
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
  • Different approach to Dugtrio; provides support in the form of SR, and attempts to deal as much damage as possible before going down. Sash also lets it take one attack, when it would otherwise be hard-pushed
  • This sacrifices the ability to trap a number of Pokemon, due to reduced power. Gets particularly screwed over by Klinklang, one of Dugtrio's normal targets, though Dugtrio will manage to weaken it significantly.
  • EQ/Stone Edge offer great coverage.
  • Reversal does great damage when Dugtrio is on its sash; likely given its terrible defenses. Offers little in terms of coverage, though.
[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
  • Could put Night Slash or Sucker Punch somewhere.
  • Jolly to outrun Scolipede, Tauros, Cryogonal, Kadabra etc. Adamant brings a substantial increase in power.
  • Doesn't like priority attacks
  • Spin support lets Dugtrio switch out with a full power reversal to unleash later.
  • Teammates – sweepers which benefit from SR, and/or the removal of grounded checks.
[Optional Changes]
  • Sub/Hone Claws – takes advantage of helpless opponents. Unfortunately these are extremely rare, especially as team preview reveals Dugtrio. Still, can function normally, and might sweep very occasionally.
  • Shadow Claw is basically identical to night slash. Can replace it in any case with little effect.
  • Rock Slide – weaker but more accurate alternative to Stone Edge. Dugtrio needs all the power it can get though.
  • Soft sand to bluff a choice item.
  • Memento provides an excellent setup opportunity.

[Checks and Counters]
  • Can't really counter, as you can't switch.
  • Play cautiously, thinking about what the opponent may be looking to trap, and how they may be looking to sweep. You may need to sacrifice things even when you have a counter available.

[Dream World]

Sand Force is useless; only Arena Trap makes Dugtrio useful, and besides, there is no permanent sand in NU

With the Revenge Killer set, Focus Sash is also a very viable item (its what I used on it since the beginning, and it works like a charm)

Also, a common misconception of Arena Trap you fell victim to, Flying types/Levitators can switch out, so its not "uncounterable"

EDIT: Claydol makes a horrible counter in NU, its not in the tier.

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
oops lol; I forgot my tiers there for a second.

And Dugtrio will come in on grounded pokemon, which makes it pretty much uncounterable. I know it doesnt trap levitators. Still I'll make sure to mention somewhere that it doesn't.

If you're using sash, then as far as I'm concerned you are using the second set.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)