Dream Act passed in California.

http://news.yahoo.com/california-governor-signs-controversial-dream-act-191902671.html

California Governor Jerry Brown on Saturday signed a bill giving illegal immigrant college students access to state-funded financial aid, the second half of two-part legislation known as the "Dream Act."
The controversial measure, which passed the Democrat-controlled legislature on a party-line vote in September, represents a victory for immigrant-rights activists ahead of the 2012 presidential election. California is the nation's most populous state.
Only two other states, Texas and New Mexico, allow illegal immigrants to qualify for state financial aid for college, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures.
This is seriously disheartening.

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
you may want to restate your blurb because right now it sounds like all college students can get aid illegally which doesn't makes sense

i would re-post a clearer version but i'm not allowed to

breh

強いだね
lol, illegal immigrants go to college?

anyway, if an immigrant is going to college, that's a good thing. intelligence is something that should be promoted. California's relative lack of money meshes badly with this, though.

Wait, we're giving money to deserving student immigrants so they can actually become productive members of society?

...This isn't even a question about deserving something for working hard. You really find nothing odd about getting more and more benefits by being in a country illegally?

EDIT: Changed my post to just include the beginning paragraphs of the article lol

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
look, i find myself to be a very liberal person but one thing that i simply cannot understand is the whole illegal immigrant thing. if they want to be here so bad, why not take the test? i do not know much about the immigration test, but shouldn't the US reform out immigration policy so as to let people such as these to enter the country legally as opposed to throwing money at the situation?

lmitchell0012

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
I'm not racist or anything, but I think it's wrong that we're giving all these services to ILLEGAL ALIENS. Politicians are just as bad. The only thing they care about is getting re-elected, so they pretty much give them anything they want.

You could compare this situation to a child begging for something. The parent can ignore them for a while, but eventually they'll give in.

They be hittin on my mediocrity,

Also, i like the idea they had in mind with this but, isn't this like throwing a stone at an airplane?, i mean if they're illegal immigrants don't they get deported later on anyways?, also if they're going college why not take that damn test?, i mean yes the process takes years, but you're going to finish college anyways and it's not like that's ending anytime soon.

look, i find myself to be a very liberal person but one thing that i simply cannot understand is the whole illegal immigrant thing. if they want to be here so bad, why not take the test? i do not know much about the immigration test, but shouldn't the US reform out immigration policy so as to let people such as these to enter the country legally as opposed to throwing money at the situation?
It can take years to be fully legalized, and in some countries, the line is so long that they actually hold a raffle, its a real hassel. You know, there would almost be no problem with this if the process was streamlined, but thats a whole other debate.

This is what is inherently wrong with debates over reform concerning immigration.

There's a reason why so many Mexicans come into the US illegally. Obtaining a visa, let alone a residency for the US in Mexico is not only expensive, but also a long process. Applying now and you might get it before 2030. You can't just take a "test" and suddenly become a United States Citizen.

I'm not racist or anything, but I think it's wrong that we're giving all these services to ILLEGAL ALIENS. Politicians are just as bad. The only thing they care about is getting re-elected, so they pretty much give them anything they want.

You could compare this situation to a child begging for something. The parent can ignore them for a while, but eventually they'll give in.
It's either reform a crippling immigration laws we have or do nothing and expect deportation and throwing away billions of dollars to fix the situation.

Some of you people think that obtaining citizenship, or legal permission to be in the country is as easy as taking a test. Here's a newsfash for you: It's not.

The only way to deal with your illegal immigration problem in America right now is offer a one time amnesty. After that any illegal immigrants who don't have a legitimate asylum claim should be deported, by catapult if they're dumb enough to try twice.

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
...This isn't even a question about deserving something for working hard. You really find nothing odd about getting more and more benefits by being in a country illegally?l
Um, I don't know if you're in college or know anything at all about the application process, but non-citizens/permanent residents are denied access to the vast majority of scholarships, almost all state and federal aid, and even membership in some greek organizations. It's completely absurd to claim that they are getting more benefits by being here illegally - the point of this act is to make college affordable for a class of people who are both socioeconomically and legally disadvantaged.

It takes around 5 years (and substantial bribes) to apply for and receive a visa, several years to turn that into a green card, and several more after that to even become eligible for citizenship. Now reconcile the length of that process with the fact that some mexican border towns are literally barren warzones (due to cartel activity) and you may begin to understand why people choose to come here illegally.

What? You do realize that illegal immigrants can't vote............

The only way to deal with your illegal immigration problem in America right now is offer a one time amnesty. After that any illegal immigrants who don't have a legitimate asylum claim should be deported, by catapult if they're dumb enough to try twice.
The only way to deal with the illegal immigration "problem" is to overhaul our red-tape ridden mess of an immigration process and make it vastly easier for immigrants to come here legally. That also means getting rid of our current immigration quotas, and yeah, total amnesty for illegal immigrants that are currently here.

i understand that feeling disenfranchised is fun and easy but have any of you 'disheartened' by this ever considered that way more of your tax money is going towards a ton of shit that's demonstrably less societally advantageous?

i know that that's kind of like going into any thread about a tragedy and saying 'yeah sucks but think about all the kids dying in africa' but i still think my point has merit

It seems like we should be working on immigration reform, not giving incentives for illegal immigrants. You know what they say about prevention and cure and whatnot

Supported this all the way, glad to see it passed somewhere. Going to college and becoming a contributing member of society is something that should never be frowned upon.

I would rather pay fund their college stint than pay to fund their welfare, which would be pretty much the probable alternative.

i understand that feeling disenfranchised is fun and easy but have any of you 'disheartened' by this ever considered that way more of your tax money is going towards a ton of shit that's demonstrably less societally advantageous?

i know that that's kind of like going into any thread about a tragedy and saying 'yeah sucks but think about all the kids dying in africa' but i still think my point has merit
This is a good point. While shit like this is unacceptable, specifically that they get in-state rates which people from bordering states would kill for, the tax money spent on this is a drop in the bucket compared to all the money we spend killing brown people for no reason.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)