DP Jirachi

JabbaTheGriffin

Stormblessed
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Alright this set plays a lot differently than the “Calm Mind Sweeper” set listed in the Jirachi analysis and I’ve seen a few of these sprouting up lately, so I figured it deserved its own peer edit. I’ve personally been using this set since adv (hp grass/ice punch back then) and it’s definitely been one of my favorite Jirachi sets and a staple on every single one of my Suspect Ladder teams.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/jirachi

[SET]
name: Superachi!
move 1: Calm Mind
move 2: Psychic
move 3: Grass Knot
move 4: Thunderbolt / Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Fire
item: Leftovers
nature: Timid
EVs: 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Jirachi may not seem fit for the job of all out sweeper given its average Speed and its access to boosting moves limited to Calm Mind. However, its amazing typing and natural bulkiness make it quite the force to be reckoned with. Jirachi’s multitude of resistances make getting that first Calm Mind a breeze and it sports amazing type coverage that can hit the majority of OU for super effective damage.</p>

<p>Psychic is your main attack and has a welcomed 20% chance of lowering your opponent’s Special Defense which makes beating special walls such as Snorlax and Blissey a very real possibility. Grass Knot covers those pesky Ground types who threaten to exploit one of Jirachi’s only two weaknesses, dealing an OHKO to both Hippowdon and Swampert after one Calm Mind.</p>

<p>The last move comes down to personal preference. Thunderbolt will OHKO Gyarados and does a reasonable job of weakening Heatran to open up yourself for a late game sweep. Hidden Power Ice will more than likely come as a surprise to Salamence, Dragonite and Gliscor, OHKOing all three after Stealth Rock damage, and will make beating Celebi a much easier endeavor. Hidden Power Fire, along with also beating Celebi fairly easily, is your best move against Steel types such as Metagross and Bronzong that can be quite a pain otherwise.</p>

<p>The EVs listed give Jirachi 308 Speed, outspeeding all positive natured base 90s and neutral natured base 100s, most notably Lucario and Salamence. Leftovers gives Jirachi staying power and makes taking it down after a couple Calm Minds a much more difficult task. However Life Orb is an option if you would much rather throw caution to the wind, however you’re much better off with Azelf or Gengar if that’s your philosophy.</p>

-----

eh I don't think it's my best work. I had like um...peer editors block if you will :/

given its average Speed
and its access to boosting moves limited to Calm Mind.
Sounds wierd. Maybe change it to
and with it's boosting moves being limited to only Calm Mind
can hit the majority of OU
<p>Psychic is your go to attack
Go to attack sounds kind of awkward, i'd simply change it to main attack.

weakening choiced Heatran to open up yourself for a late game sweep.
I don't think choiced is necessary here, you could remove it and just have Heatran.

OHKOing all three after Stealth Rock damage
The EVs listed give Jirachi 308 Speed

I've known it as Superachi ever since Jabba told me about it and then when i talked about it with some guy i was playing who used it. This is a really cool set though that I tried out as well (I didn't get to use it to its full effectiveness but it still played a huge part of my team.)

I know you don't have to but giving Jirachi 310 Speed instead of 308 means you always outspeed Max Speed Rotom (who runs 309). I don't really think taking 1 Point from HP is going to change anything. Outspeeding Rotom and ohkoing with Calm Mind Psychic may be worth it.

(while we are at that, I saw this set used with Life Orb which got a few more kos and was really effective. Life Orb should definitely be mentioned and maybe even added to the set with a slash alongside leftovers?_?)

it works the same way as offensive suicune though, using the element of surprise along with high defenses and HP. Jirachi still has base 100 defenses/hp and can actually take a hit, unlike azelf or deoxys.

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
Chris is me (whose posts I just deleted), stop making irrational posts based on no evidence that disregard the very wording of the set comments.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I like the idea of Life Orb on this set as an option over Leftovers. With Jirachi's immunity to TSpikes and Sand combined with its above average Speed, Life Orb would make a pretty solid choice here.

Other than that I really can't see anything wrong with this set. Superior type coverage and Speed give it a way to actually beat its counters that other sweepers lack, most notably Raikou.

Wow, there is a lot of Calm Mind + Life Orb sets going on around here.

Anyways, I would use Thunderbolt and HP Bug as options personally. HP Bug still hits Tyranitar, and this prevents pokemon like Celebi and Cressilia from walling you.

If you use Grass Knot and Thunderbolt you get walled quite badly by other psychics. That is why I think that HP Bug should be the default choice.

Rewrite it like:

move 1: Calm Mind
move 2: Psychic
move 3: Thunderbolt
move 4: Hidden Power Bug / Ice / Fire

Grass Knot has pretty terrible coverage IMO. Being able to hit ground types isn't too big of a deal as none of them want to be eating boosted Psychics anyways.

JabbaTheGriffin

Stormblessed
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
grass knot is actually amazingly useful :/

hp bug is a pretty shitty choice tbh

please maybe try out the set first before recommending huge changes next time?

also i'd like a couple more opinions on life orb v. leftovers. i've personally loved the survivability provided by lefties but if enough people think life orb is a viable option i guess i'd have to budge.

Caelum

qibz official stalker
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
also i'd like a couple more opinions on life orb v. leftovers. i've personally loved the survivability provided by lefties but if enough people think life orb is a viable option i guess i'd have to budge.
Well you don't have to.

I just tried out both and I can go either way with it. I'd mention it but I honestly think in this case Leftovers is better. I'd argue that Leftovers fits on more teams than a Life Orb versions simply because LO wears it down and you'd need either Wish support or an offensive team with it's resistances to successfully use it. Leftovers is a more "user friendly" version than Life Orb. I'd mention Life Orb but as to which one is more effective really just comes down to team structure/playing style. I personally preferred Leftovers because I felt it was easier to get a sweep going but Life Orb did have it's uses.

Crap. My entire wordy post was deleted. Anyways, here was the gist of it:

Use Life Orb. The power difference is huge, and it brings many threats into killing range.

Celebi and Cressilia see much higher usage than Swampert, Hippowdon or Mamoswine. Psychic does huge damage to all those ground types, doing 70% or more to Swampert and Hippowdon, while OHKOing Mamoswine. Tyranitar is 2HKOed by HP Bug more often than not, and considering Grass Knot 2HKOes as well, it's not worth the moveslot.

HP Bug OHKOes Celebi very easily, doing 122% minimum, and it also 2HKOes Cressilia with Stealth Rocks up... all after one Calm Mind.

JabbaTheGriffin

Stormblessed
yes but you're beating celebi and cresselia anyway. the difference between an ohko and a 2hko on pert, hippo and mamoswine is eating a stab eq which usually puts quite the damper on your sweep.

Does anyone even switch in Swampert on Jirachi anyways? Well, I'm going to test it out. I'm pretty sure that other psychics will be more annoying, but then again I may be be wrong.

PS: it actually OHKOs Mamoswine, so only Swampert is a problem ; )

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah except Celebi and Cresselia still lose to CM Jirachi anyways...and Grass Knot is an amazing move to OHKO things that would otherwise completely obliterate you with STAB SE Earthquakes like Swampert, Donphan, Hippowdon, MAMOSWINE, and also beat things like Tyranitar and Suicune that get nailed by GK. I've used this set and GK has proven to be an invaluable move. Since you are packing very minimal defensive EVs, you NEED to OHKO pokemon that have SE moves against you.

HP Bug may be a decent choice if you arent scared of salamence, but Grass Knot is an absolutely necessary move on the set.

Mamoswine is outsped and OHKOed, same with Donphan. Again, the only problem pokemon is Swampert, as Hippowdon takes a tremendous beating. If it comes in on unboosted Psychic it is 2HKOed and +1 Psychic does around 80%.

Thunderbolt hits Suicune anyways, so that point is kinda moot.

OHKOing Celebi and 2HKOing Cressilia is fairly important as on something as speedy as this Jirachi, getting thunderwaved means it is useless.

Since Swampert is really the only reason to use GK, I think it's a waste of a moveslot. If you guys disagree, at least change it to:

Move 3: Grass Knot / Thunderbolt
Move 4: Hidden Power Bug / Ice / Fire

JabbaTheGriffin

Stormblessed
are you assuming life orb?

OHKOing Celebi and 2HKOing Cressilia is fairly important as on something as speedy as this Jirachi, getting thunderwaved means it is useless.
actually it's not. good defenses and amazing resistances means it can usually still get a kill or two after being twaved (i know from experience)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)