DP Banette .

junior

jet fuel can't melt steel beams
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
I was randomly checking out UU battles and I saw this little guy running around quite a bit. It seemed to do a considerable amount of damage and revenge kill quite well. However, I didn't see it in the analysis so I decided to write one up for it.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/banette

[SET]
Name: Bandette
Move 1: Shadow Sneak
Move 2: Pursuit
Move 3: Sucker Punch / Return
Move 4: Trick / Thunderwave / Will-o-Wisp
Item: Choice Band
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Atk, 4 Spe
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Frisk

<p>Banette’s physical sweeping capability is often overlooked due to its small movepool and lack of speed. Even though Steel resists Ghost, Banette can still hit the vast majority of UU Pokemon for at least neutral. Shadow Sneak compensates for Banette’s lack of speed, and coming off a Choice Banded base 115 Attack, it is nothing to sneer at.</p>

<p>Due to its usage of Shadow Sneak, Banette can effectively revenge kill anything that doesn't resist Ghost, namely Steel and Normal (although Sucker Punch can take care of the latter). This will force many opposing Pokemon to flee upon Banette’s appearance, thus Pursuit can takr advantage of that.</p>

<p>The last attack is choice preference. They all cripple the opposing Pokemon one way or another, but Thunderwave and Will-o-Wisp are more reliable. This is because you may accidentally Trick your Choice Band onto a physical sweeper.</p>

<p>Frisk is recommended on this set as it can function well with Trick. It allows you to scout for beneficial items and place Choice Band on Pokemon that won't benefit from it. Frisk can also 'support' your team as a whole, as it can help determine the set the Pokemon is running based on the item.</p>

<p>Despite Banette's frailness, investing 252 EVs into HP may pay off from time to time, allowing you to take a Fire Blast from Timid Ninetails and Thunderbolt from Timid Rotom, as well as anything weaker. You can then proceed to take them out with Shadow Sneak, depending on their amount of health left.</p>

Hmm.. does he really need the speed? I can't see him outrunning anything specific, and he's using Priority moves anyway.. (Pursuit doesn't matter if they're switching).

252 HP can help his survivability to switch in a bit easier.

matty

I did stuff a long time ago for the site
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You could also put Return somewhere in here, it has higher BP than any of Bannete's other attacks.
^--- this or payback/shadow claw over one of the priority moves (probably Shadow Sneak) would be a good idea.

junior

is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
rkatzam: I asked other badged members on their thoughts about EVs in HP and they were exactly the same as mine.

There's no point as it won't be taking any attacks soon, except for Fighting/Normal attacks which the EVs aren't going to help. Speed is the better choice.

Cynthia: OK, good point.

Matty: Shadow Sneak is its main form of reliable attack/revenge kill so no, it isn't going to be replaced.

matty

I did stuff a long time ago for the site
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
rkatzam: I asked other badged members on their thoughts about EVs in HP and they were exactly the same as mine.

There's no point as it won't be taking any attacks soon, except for Fighting/Normal attacks which the EVs aren't going to help. Speed is the better choice.

Matty: Shadow Sneak is its main form of reliable attack/revenge kill so no, it isn't going to be replaced.
well I said one of the priority moves; having two seems like overkill to me. having a solid attack (besides Pursuit) is probably a good idea. Cynthia's suggestion is probably for the best.

TBH, I find this functions better as a lead with Insomnia and a Choice Scarf. Usually you can get the jump on other leads by crippling them with the Scarf (if it's a set-up lead) or Will O Wisp / Thunderwave if it's a fast, annoying lead.

I'll check my UU team for the specific EV spread, and edit it in soon.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
[SET]
Name: Bandette
Move 1: Shadow Sneak
Move 2: Pursuit
Move 3: Sucker Punch / Return
Move 4: Trick / Thunderwave / Will-o-Wisp
Item: Choice Band
EVs: 4 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Spe
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Frisk

<p>Banette’s physical sweeping capability is often overlooked due to its small movepool and lack of speed. Even though Steel resists Ghost, Banette can still hit the vast majority of UU Pokemon for at least neutral. Shadow Sneak compensates for Banette’s lack of speed, and coming off a Choice Banded base 115 Attack, it is nothing to sneer at.</p>

<p>Due to its usage of Shadow Sneak, Banette can effectively revenge kill anything that doesn't resist Ghost, namely Normal and Steel types. This will force many pokemon to switch out, thus Pursuit is on this set to take advantage of that.</p>

<p>The last attack is up to preference. They all cripple the opposing Pokemon one way or another, but Thunderwave and Will-o-Wisp are more reliable. This is because you may accidentally Trick your Choice Band onto a physical sweeper.</p>

<p>Frisk is recommended on this set as it can function well with Trick. It allows you to scout for beneficial items and place Choice Band on pokemon that won't benefit from it. Frisk can also 'support' your team as a whole, as it can help determine the set the pokemon is running based on the item.</p>

Don't know much about the pokemon, but my changes are in bold to make the wording less awkward.

JabbaTheGriffin

Stormblessed
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
yeah there's definitely no point in all that speed. you really only need speed if you run wisp, otherwise it's extremely useless.

junior

Skiddle: Its main function isn't to cripple. Its innitial job is simply to revenge kill/hit hard. :|

Everything else, fixed, except for the EV business. I want more imput on that as everyone seems to have a different opinion (on this thread and on irc).

You haven't explained yourself why the speed is needed, so it just seems logical to me to give it 252 HP EVs when it's using priority moves anyway. Pursuit doesn't matter because you'll use it only if predicting a switch. I think Insomnia is the better ability here because it lets you come easier on most sleepers and hit them hard with priority Shadow Sneak. Thunder Wave can be used in the last slot if speed matters so much, just in case you face the same pokemon later in game.

JabbaTheGriffin

Stormblessed
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Okay sorry but that reasoning is horrible. One one hand you have an HP stat that you claim is irrelevant since it won't be taking hits anyway. Okay that makes a bit of sense. But on the other hand you have a speed stat which is completely useless. Bannete may not be the best at taking hits, but there's always a comfort in knowing that if you need to you can fall back on those EV's to take a neutral hit if need be. On the other hand I don't see those Speed EV's ever coming in handy unless you run moves outside the primary options. But for the primary options, Speed is useless, and therefore it shouldn't have any.

junior

Good point. That's pretty much what I needed. Changing EVs.

I'll run some random calcs and see what it can take and add it to the analysis comments.

EDIT: Doesn't seem to be able to take any notable attacks except an Earthquake from 4 Atk EV Steelix using Earthquake, although on average it's an OHKO.

huh? max ATK adamant Steelix does max of 68% with EQ on 252 HP Bannete. It can also survive T-Bolt from Rotm and Fire Blast from Ninetales.. and those are STAB'd as well.

junior

Hmmmmmmmmmm. I think I did something wrong with all of my calcs then wtf.

OK, let me rerun them.

EDIT: You're right about them. I must've did something wrong because I somehow got double damage. O_O"

I'll make a mention on Ninetails and Rotom and check out other pokemons again too.

EDIT: Added a paragraph.

EDIT: Locking this as it has been added into the SCMS.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)