Do you pronounce it "heachran" or "heat-ran"?

what's the correct pronunciation?

• heachran

Votes: 58 56.3%
  • heat-ran

Votes: 45 43.7%

• Total voters

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Where tf is the "ch" in Heatran???
According to Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokemon encyclopedia, the name Heatran comes from Heat and transition metal or transfer. Both are pronounced with a ch sound therefore Heachran is the correct pronunciation.

And its name is the same in all languages so don'tbother saying that because i've already thought of it!!

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
he-tran, i dont say the word heat + the word ran, this is probably also closer to the way its said in japanese for reasons that will be obvious to people familiar with japanese

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
he-tran, i dont say the word heat + the word ran, this is probably also closer to the way its said in japanese for reasons that will be obvious to people familiar with japanese
Not at all. Not sure what you think in Japanese would make the tr in tran. Anyway, it's Hi-do-ran, with the do being how they translate a word that ends with d, hence its closer to heat-ran. Not sure why they went with d and not t.

Still, they're English words and we speak English, so he-tran is objectively correct for the reason Hulavuta laid out.

Say it out loud, you will realize it has a "ch" sound. But, only if you pronounce it that way. That's what I'm trying to figure out.
Many English dialects have rule called "T-affrication" where /t/ will become the affricate /tʃ/ if it precedes an /r/

True
Tree
Trunk
Trail
Train
Trust
Atrophy
Partridge

etc

This is a sub-rule of a common tendency across many language for high vowels (/i/ /u/) and other sounds near the top of the mouth to drag other consonants with them.
The "t" in "future" is also pronounced as an affricate because the "u" sound /j/ is moving the /t/ slightly higher into a /tʃ/
This tendency is so common that in many languages the sound combo of /ti/ and /tja/ don't exist due to being replaced by /tʃi/ and /tʃja/ or some similar variant

Even in English there are many words where this sound change has occurred where now pronouncing them with /tʃ/ is the only acceptable pronunciation.
Picture
Rapture
Suture
etc

I think most American English speakers would pronounce it as /hi:tʃran/ (HE-CHRAN) in other English dialects it could vary

Katy

Banned deucer.
Im a non native and i just say Heat - Ran which makes it the easiest for me. Not sure where the CH sounds come from either my pronounciations are bad or i am missin' smth here lol

Many English dialects have rule called "T-affrication" where /t/ will become the affricate /tʃ/ if it precedes an /r/

True
Tree
Trunk
Trail
Train
Trust
Atrophy
Partridge

etc

This is a sub-rule of a common tendency across many language for high vowels (/i/ /u/) and other sounds near the top of the mouth to drag other consonants with them.
The "t" in "future" is also pronounced as an affricate because the "u" sound /j/ is moving the /t/ slightly higher into a /tʃ/
This tendency is so common that in many languages the sound combo of /ti/ and /tja/ don't exist due to being replaced by /tʃi/ and /tʃja/ or some similar variant

Even in English there are many words where this sound change has occurred where now pronouncing them with /tʃ/ is the only acceptable pronunciation.
Picture
Rapture
Suture
etc

I think most American English speakers would pronounce it as /hi:tʃran/ (HE-CHRAN) in other English dialects it could vary
Personally, I don't see "Tr" as being pronounced as "ch," even for the listed examples. This could be that I'm interpreting an extra distinction that doesn't formally exist, but I can't see the similarities between that and the "tu" examples. Or as mentioned, this could be a dialect thing. As for Heatran, I pronounce it what I think is pretty clearly "Heat-Ran" with fairly separate syllables. I think that with so many pokemon names being portmanteaus that I'm going to be looking for two separate parts to pronounce if there's a recognizable word in there.

According to the Pokedex 3D Pro, it's "Heat-ran" (aka without "-ch")
Nope, this is audibly an affricate /tʃ/

EDIT:
On closer listening I think this is actually a geminated affricate. I don't think geminated affricates exist in most English dialects and this is probably a result of the voice actor trying to carefully pronounce the word.
The linguistics jargon might be a bit much here but bare with me.
An affricate is composed of two different kinds of sounds. A stop, and a fricative.
A stop is a sounds you make by stopping air for a moment and then letting it release. Think "k" "t" "p".
A fricative is a sound you make by forcing air through a tight space in your mouth so that the friction of the air makes a sound. Think "s" "sh" "f"
If you make a stop sound and then immediately follow it with a fricative made in the same position in the mouth, this is known as an affricate. English only has two affricates. the "Ch" in "Chair" and the "J" in "Juice"
The "Ch" sound is actually a "T" being very quickly followed by a "Sh" sound.

A geminate is when a consonant is held for an extra moment. In many languages such as Japanese and Italian a geminate is a proper sound that can change the meaning of words. In English geminates exist but only with stops and don't change the meaning of words. The word "Midday" the "d" is held for an extra moment in many English dialects. That is a geminate. Affricates do not geminate in English for the most part. "Orange Juice" has two affricates. The one at the end of "orange" and the one at the start of "juice" and they are both pronounced as distinct sounds.

However the Pokedex 3d pro voice I think is saying "Heat" without releasing the "t" sound and then immediately following it with an affricate /tʃ/.
I don't think any English speaker would pronounce "Heatran" this way in rapid speech.

For reference here are some recordings.
This is what "Heatran" would sound like if it were a /t/ directly followed by an /r/
https://voca.ro/17L5AOBsl4qZ
(This is almost impossible to do. The position of the English /r/ in both Australian and American English naturally forces your tongue into a position where a preceding /t/ becomes an affricate.)

This is "Heatran" pronounced with an affricate https://voca.ro/17g9bUP09iQd

There are a few variation I can think of that might exist in other English dialect.

In several accents /t/ sounds are glotallised if they occur at the end of a syllable. In such an accent Heatran would sound like this https://voca.ro/1kSqH9O6hZtC

In Irish English, Indian English, and a few others the English /r/ becomes a tap sound, akin to Japanese or Spanish. With such an accent Heatran would sound like this
https://voca.ro/15b62gDZLAnD

Personally, I don't see "Tr" as being pronounced as "ch," even for the listed examples. This could be that I'm interpreting an extra distinction that doesn't formally exist, but I can't see the similarities between that and the "tu" examples. Or as mentioned, this could be a dialect thing. As for Heatran, I pronounce it what I think is pretty clearly "Heat-Ran" with fairly separate syllables. I think that with so many pokemon names being portmanteaus that I'm going to be looking for two separate parts to pronounce if there's a recognizable word in there.
Without knowing your native language or dialect I have no way of telling, but it's very possible that your mental image of how words are pronounced and how you actually pronounce them does not align. Most native English speakers pronounce the "p" in "pain" completely differently from the "p" in "Spain" and yet aren't aware of this themselves.

Say the two words with your palm in front of your mouth. You can literally feel the difference in pronunciation from the increased airflow in "pain"

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)