Approved Do not render a background for Gravity, Water Sport, and Mud Sport/don't use the generic room background for these moves

These move don't any flavor relation to the room moves whatsoever, as thy don't appear as rooms in-game. As a result, rendering these 3 effects using the room backdrop is misleading to say the least. This can lead users to believe these moves are somehow related to those effects falsely. I think these moves should not use a background (or at the least a different one) for these reasons.

Last edited:

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
Creator of PS
I'm not sure what you mean by "no relation whatsoever". They're all field conditions that last 5 turns, can't be extended, and affect everyone on the field, friend or foe, equally (with no difference between which side started it).

What makes them not related to those effects?

I'm not sure what you mean by "no relation whatsoever". They're all field conditions that last 5 turns, can't be extended, and affect everyone on the field, friend or foe, equally (with no difference between which side started it).

What makes them not related to those effects?
Sorry about my poor wording there. I meant to say that the three moves I mentioned don't Have a flavor relation to the room moves, as they don't appear in-game as rooms. I'll edit the OP to make this clear.
I do agree though that everything else you said applies.

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
Creator of PS
You're saying that the games don't show a background for these moves, so PS would be closer to the games if it also doesn't show a background?

If I'm understanding you correctly, I think that's a good reason for making the change.

You're saying that the games don't show a background for these moves, so PS would be closer to the games if it also doesn't show a background?

If I'm understanding you correctly, I think that's a good reason for making the change.
Correct. Although I would like to specify some extra information:

When the room moves were brought up earlier, Trick/Magic/Wonder Room do actually change the background, but only as part of their animation.

Gravity and the sports on the other hand never change the background at all in their animations or as a lasting effect. Respectively, they only show the mons flattening and the water/mud splashes.

Thought I should specify this extra information in case it would affect your decision.

DaWoblefet

Demonstrably so
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
I took this as more like "Wonder Room's background is identical to Trick Room's, which is confusing if both are active". Because they use the same effect / animation, if you are used to only seeing, say, Trick Room, and then you see Wonder Room too, you might just assume out of habit it's Trick Room by the visual cue.

If that's the case, then simply replacing Wonder Room / Mud Sport etc. with a different background or animation would go a long way, rather than just axing them entirely.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)