Pokémon Delphox

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, so we know Magician/w Gem doesn't work. How about Fling? Fling+ Flame Orb and then snatching Leftovers off a wall can be very handy if it works.

Okay, so testing it out. My favourite set for Delphox is:

124 HP/124 SpAtk/252speed timid
Mystical Fire
Substitute
Will-o-Wisp
Psyshock

Sub is good for blocking status and mystical fire and will-o-wisp are good for crippling enemy attackers. Psyshock gives good coverage and hits most things that aren't steel types. (Which Mystical Fire kills.)
Sounds cool. At the very least, WoW Delphox seems a little unnoticed, and it can create a nice with Mystical Fire (though Delphox is fairly decent at handling special attackers anyway).

Okay, so we know Magician/w Gem doesn't work. How about Fling? Fling+ Flame Orb and then snatching Leftovers off a wall can be very handy if it works.
It DOES work. Just not on the same turn.

Sounds cool. At the very least, WoW Delphox seems a little unnoticed, and it can create a nice with Mystical Fire (though Delphox is fairly decent at handling special attackers anyway).
Mystical Fire makes special attackers so weak. Calm Mind pokemon especially hate it. With Psyshock, Delphox can hit their unboosted defense stat after weakening them with mystical fire and keeping them from boosting.

It DOES work. Just not on the same turn.

Mystical Fire makes special attackers so weak. Calm Mind pokemon especially hate it. With Psyshock, Delphox can hit their unboosted defense stat after weakening them with mystical fire and keeping them from boosting.
My only concern with it is how good would it be when you can just run Calm Mind with it? The situation you mentioned seems pretty awesome, but situational.

My take on the Magician set, definitely wo't be viable in OU but honestly she won't be viable there no matter what with the current stats/typing/movepool.

Delfucks up your strategy
Delphox @ Fire Gem/ Psychic Gem
252 SpAtk 252 Spd 4 Hp
Magician

Switcheroo
Psychic/Psyshock
Fire Blast/ Flamethrower
Will o' Wisp/Calm Mind/a coverage move

The core of this set is completely messing up the opponents item distribution with Magician+Switcheroo. After getting in a powerful fire or psychic move, you can start hitting things until you get a significant item (for example a choice item, status orb, black sludge, etc.), and passing it out to a mon on the other team. It also works very well against pokemon reliant on berries or gems to work well. For the other moves, nothing is really set in stone, it really depends on what tier Delphox ends up in, and which moves are best for taking out threats in that tier. WoW in the last slot is nice for crippling the opponents team even further, while calm mind can be used to nab a quick boost when whatever you just trolled switches out. I'm not sure how good this will be, but i think it's worth mentioning.

^For that set, hypnosis could be there for those who trust in the hax god.
I used to have a ninetales with roar, willowisp and hypnosis, which worked pretty well against things that otherwise would wall it , such as heatran.

While I don't think that Delphox will be OU, I definitely feel that it's at least viable in the tier. Speed is solid, ability is neat with some cool opportunities for unorthodox strategies, movepool is nicely varied with most of the options it needs, typing is pretty strong when it comes to offense, not terrible when it comes to defense either, SR weakness aside. Looks like a very nice offensive Pokémon, actually. I can't see it being any lower than high-level UU.

While I don't think that Delphox will be OU, I definitely feel that it's at least viable in the tier. Speed is solid, ability is neat with some cool opportunities for unorthodox strategies, movepool is nicely varied with most of the options it needs, typing is pretty strong when it comes to offense, not terrible when it comes to defense either, SR weakness aside. Looks like a very nice offensive Pokémon, actually. I can't see it being any lower than high-level UU.
I hope it can get into UU while still being viable for OU. As much as I want to fanboy it, it can definitely work in OU but probably won't capitalize on everything it can do. But if it gets UU, it'll be very comfortable to use, it just faces competition with Victini.

Fire/Psychic typing is pretty terrible defensively, to be honest.

SR and Stone miss weak, pursuit weak, ghost weak, earthquake weak, water weak = terrible defensive typing.

At most, its a niche wallbreaker with the ability to calm mind sweep. If only it had a better coverage move than Grass Knot.

The next game will be kinder to it. We have no idea what kinds of new tutor moves will be available to it, and there's always the chance that, as a starter, it gets a mega somewhere down the line.

As it stands, those speed and special stats are certainly workable, and it's certainly a viable pokemon for people in UU who don't want to use that obnoxious fucking fire rat. But it's a shame Magician/gem doesn't work, that could have been the foxxy mage's claim to fame. Maybe it'll get a mechanics change someday? Whatever, speculation aside it's still a decent calm mind user.

Would it be at all viable to do something like a Chesto Rest Calm Mind set run alongside Magician? You could set up, use rest and consume your item, and then steal an opponent's item simply by attacking them. Also, I believe it was confirmed that Magician will steal an item on the turn your item is consumed as well. Therefore, could you run a fire gem alongside Fire Blast or a White Herb alongside Overheat consuming your item and then taking your opponent's? I know that a couple of these idea border on gimmicky, but they could work, yes?

At most, its a niche wallbreaker with the ability to calm mind sweep. If only it had a better coverage move than Grass Knot.
It's a wizard. Ice Beam and Thunderbolt seem so natural to me. Especially with the old-school RPG theme. Like it's movepool is so limited for what a spellcaster COULD entail.

Also honestly, mystical sub set is WAY better than anything involving magician... psychic/fire is good coverage without having to resort to shadow ball or HP fighting. (Yuck) The only thing that walls both are Houndoom, Water/Darks and Tyrannitar all of which are dealt with better by other things or just using a good teammate.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
I see a SubCM Delphox working well in lower tiers. It can turn most special attacking Grass-types, Fairy-types and Ice-types into easy setup fodder while avoiding their status, then hitting hard with boosted Flamethrowers. Most Fire-resists and special walls can be dealt with boosted Psyshock.

Much like Heliolisk- I really don't like trying to push Delphox as an aggressive sweeper, just because it's fast-ish. The support movepool on Delphox is pretty deep and it's probably the first Pokemon I've ever seen and thought "You know- Fire Spin looks useful." I think Delphox plays into 6th gen's idea of a slower game, which will probably keep it out of contention for longer than it's actual inability to sweep effectively.

Would it be at all viable to do something like a Chesto Rest Calm Mind set run alongside Magician? You could set up, use rest and consume your item, and then steal an opponent's item simply by attacking them. Also, I believe it was confirmed that Magician will steal an item on the turn your item is consumed as well. Therefore, could you run a fire gem alongside Fire Blast or a White Herb alongside Overheat consuming your item and then taking your opponent's? I know that a couple of these idea border on gimmicky, but they could work, yes?
The issue I see with that is 4MSS. You want your fire attack (mystic fire) and your psychic attack (psyshock) for coverage. Then you have CM and rest. However, this leaves you very weak on the defensive side as you no longer have Willow-wisp to neuter physical attacker, and weak to status as you no longer have sub (although with her resisting fighting/ice/steel priority isn't much of a concern).

So if you go this route, you need to pray you can take down the physical attackers in one, otherwise those 75/72 stats are going to take a beating. Or you need to swap a coverage move for your burn and then it is much easier for the opponent to wall you (dark/steel walls psychic, water/fire/dragon walls fire), making that whole set up a lot less useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)