Creative (and good) Movesets (READ THE OP FIRST)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok one quick try,

Sub-Punching Dragonite

Dragonite@Leftovers
Inner Focus
248 Hp / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant
-Substitute
-Focus Punch
-Dragon Tail / Dragon Claw
-Extremespeed / Roost

Dragonite has been talked about quite a lot lately, and for good reasons too! His versatility makes him almost unpredictble, with at least every team having one to two counters on their team to prevent his sweeps.
So heres a set of mine to make he opponent go "WTF?" a subpunching pokemon can already dish out major damage alone (see Golurk, Azumarill, Conkeldurr).
Moveset is pretty straight forward as Dragon and Fighting provide perfect coverage alone. Dragon Claw is a more powerful and reliable attack than Dragon Tail, but the ladder provides phazing for you incase a ghost or huge physical wall decides to switch in. Extremespeed can be handy for getting that last needed hit in to knock out their speedy pokemon, and roost provides you more health which is an important thing to factor in as you dont have access to multiscale, the biggest drawback to this set. .
Ev spread is straight forward 248 evs allow you to get up an extra subsitute, and the rest are put into attack to give Dragonite as much power as possible

Yes, a Jellicent with Water Absorb certainly walls the Poliwrath.

But every Pokemon has some counters, do they not? (Of course they do, otherwise they would be broken).

So, you have to either hope your opponent doesn't have a good counter for Poliwrath, or if they do then try not to use Poliwrath until those counters have been removed.

But I really think that if used correctly the Poliwrath can tear through an opponents team, especially in the late game.

^^ I think that set is good mainly because your opponent is not going to see it coming. Dragonite can easily cause switches which gives you an easy opportunity to Sub and then hurt your opponent badly.

How about this Landorus set?

[pimg]645[/pimg]
Landorus @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Nature: Hasty / Naive
EVs: 252 Sp.Atk, 252 Speed, 4 Att
- Earth Power
- HP Fire
/ HP Flying / HP Ice
- Psychic / Grass Knot / Focus Blast
- Rock Slide / Grass Knot / Focus Blast

First of all, the great thing about the set is that opponents will just assume that Landorus is a physical attacker, so it will catch them off guard.

So here's the deal: With max Sp. Att EVs, Life Orb, and Sheer Force, Landorus is essentially attacking with a Special Attack stat of 556 when it uses Earth Power or Psychic, 428 when using HP Fire (since Sheer Force is not applied), and 485 when using Rock Slide (since that's using its Physical Attack stat).

Let's see how Landorus does against several notable Pokemon:

Scizor: 1HKOed by HP Fire 100% of the time
Forretress: 1HKOed by HP Fire 100% of the time
Ferrothorn: 2HKOed by HP Fire 100% of the time (100% 1HKO in the Sun)
Skarmory: 2HKOed by HP Fire 100% of the time (100% 1HKO in the Sun)
Gliscor: 2HKOed by Psychic 100% of the time
Breloom: 1HKOed by HP Fire & Psychic 100% of the time

All of the above Pokemon are likely to be switched into Landorus by your opponent for various reasons (presumably with the thought that Landorus will be a physical attacker).

Obviously Earth Power is the primary attack. Coming off of a 556 Sp.Att stat to go along with STAB, it's basically 2HKOing everything that doesn't resist it (sans Blissey).

HP Fire hits the Grass and Bug types that resist Earth Power, and Rock Slide hits the Flying types that are immune to Earth Power. This combination of attacks assures that Pokemon who aren't hit hard by Earth Power are still going to be hit for super effective damage - meaning almost no Pokemon is safe.

Lastly, Psychic takes full advantage of Sheer Force, and can be used to 1HKO most Fighting type Pokemon (as well as Gengar, Crobat, and Poison/Grass types).

Overall this Landorus is just a beast, hitting for massive damage against almost anything without suffering from being locked into attacks with Choice Band/Specs and without suffering from Life Orb recoil, having a Base Speed of 101 (crucially outspeeding everything with Base 100 Speed and below lacking a Choice Scarf), and almost certainly catching your opponent completely off guard (initially because they won't know that Landorus is a special attacker, and also because they won't know what moves its packing).

Alternative Move Choices: It's nice not to have to resort to using Focus Blast with its horrible 70% accuracy, although since it is affected by Sheer Force it can do massive damage against things that it is super effective against. Grass Knot is an option if you really want to hit bulky waters. HP Ice can be used over HP Fire if you want to be able to hit Flying/Dragon and Flying/Ground types extra hard while still being able to punish Grass types. If HP Ice is used over HP Fire then Rock Slide should be replaced either by Grass Knot or Focus Blast. In this case Landorus should also be given a Jolly nature since it will no longer be using its Physical Attack stat. As suggested by a poster below me, another great option is HP Flying. This gives Landorus another powerful STAB move and allows Landorus to hit the grass and bug types that resist Earth Power even harder (although it doesn't hit Fighting types as hard as Psychic does because it doesn't get a Sheer Force boost). If HP Flying is used, then Psychic should be replaced either by Grass Knot or Focus Blast.

Also note that this Landorus is even more dangerous on a Sun team because of the extra damage Hidden Power Fire will do, although this is far necessary.

Counters: Blissey, Cresselia, very bulky Water-types (although they can be had by Grass Knot). Obviously, Landorus has to worry about anything that can outspeed it and do damage do it, but Landorus should not be left in against things that will outspeed and kill it. Furthermore, many of the things that outspeed Landorus will sustain massive damage while switching into Landorus.

you might want to try hp ice.
it hits gliscor super hard and has good coverage with ep.

however, you might like hp fire more because you have psychic.

^ That possibility is covered in my post. I like HP Fire because of its ability to wreck Pokemon that would normally feel safe switching into Landorus, such as Skarmory, Forretress, and Ferrothorn. You can catch your opponent completely off guard.

But HP Ice is another very good option, and if it is used then Giga Drain or Focus Blast can take the place of Rock Slide.

HP Flying is pretty great too actually. It has awesome power and coverage alongside Earth Power. And since Psychic is kinda redundant alongside Ground/Flying, you can run Grass Knot in its place without much worry.bYou can't act as a lure for Skarm/Ferro/Scizor any more though, which seems to partly be the aim of the set.

Hammer arm would make this thing a nice wall breaker, not sure if it can 2hko chan with its current spread. Without rock slide you do lose to nite though.

HP Flying is pretty great too actually. It has awesome power and coverage alongside Earth Power. And since Psychic is kinda redundant alongside Ground/Flying, you can run Grass Knot in its place without much worry.bYou can't act as a lure for Skarm/Ferro/Scizor any more though, which seems to partly be the aim of the set.
Indeed this is a very good suggestion. Just like you said, I like HP Fire because of Landorus' ability to lure these Pokemon who are crippled by HP Fire (who all just happen to be some of the most overused Pokemon in the entire metagame). Landorus can lure and KO these deadly opponents like a bug zapper lures a fly.

But yes, if luring and killing Skarmory, Ferrothorn, Forretress, and Scizor is not a concern for you, then HP Flying has many advantages. It has 50% more power than HP Fire thanks to STAB, and therefore hits the grass and bug types that resist Earth Power much harder. And the other advantage is that Psychic is no longer necessary, so it can be replaced with another attack like Grass Knot or Focus Blast. Although it should be noted that because Psychic gets a Sheer Force boost whereas HP Flying does not, Psychic still hits fighting types and things like Gliscor harder than HP Flying.

Hammer arm would make this thing a nice wall breaker, not sure if it can 2hko chan with its current spread. Without rock slide you do lose to nite though.
Outside of hitting Blissey harder I'm not too sure I see the advantage of using Hammer Arm over Focus Blast.

Yes, Hammer Arm's 90% accuracy is a lot better than Focus Blast's 70% accuracy, but it hits for FAR LESS power (this specially based Landorus has a much higher special attack than physical attack, Focus Blast has 120 base power as opposed to 100 base power, and Focus Blast is boosted by Sheer Force whereas Hammer Arm is not). And on top of that Hammer Arm has the very unfortunate side affect of lowering Landorus' speed. Overall it just seems too inferior to bother.

This set is kind of risky, but It Really works!

@ Leftovers
Impish Nature(+Def, - SpA)
Overcoat
Whirlwind
Swagger
Punishment
Roost
(Att 4/Def 252/ Sp.D 252)

First things first: Hit them with Swagger. Once you have Swagger set up, keep using it until maxed or to your liking. Then Smash them with a couple of Punishments. This works great on pokemon you KNOW will set up and pokemon who won't use the Attack stat at all. It's a little gimmicky but the damage from the opponent hitting themselves plus the punishment is worth the risk. Plus, Mandibuzz can take a hit from almost anything without being OHKO'd, including Stone Edges and Thunderbolts. If a Pokemon feels it's too dangerous for you to control, use Whirlwind to send it packing. This works well if you set up traps beforehand. One of the kickers about this set is with Overcoat, you are immune to Hail and Sandstorm, so it can be used on both teams and conditions(Sand is preferred because there are much more things that can be benefited from it.) Be careful though: Mandibuzz has a Stealth Rock weakness and MUST rely on Hax when burned. Good Luck!

It seems that Landorus set would only work in Dream World, since Sheer Force does not exist. Sand Force is the only ability he can have as of yet. Which means only Rock Slide and Earth Power would get a boost in sandstorm, and you still get Life Orb recoil.

Choice band Snorlax - Adamant
252 hp, 252 atk, 4 sp.def
Earthquake
Rock Slide
Return(obviously)
Crunch

why did I include rock slide? Well because people use volcarona way too much.

I don't know if sets for DW OU should go in here, but well, here's one anyway:

DW Genesect Killer

Azelf @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- U-turn
- Ice Punch
- Trick
- Fire Punch

Genesect is an amazing Pokemon, and anyone that plays DW a fair bit knows that they run around scarfed everywhere and can be quite a pain. They also tend to lead a lot, opting for a scarfed U-Turn to scout on Turn 1.

The glory in this set is the sheer amount of versatility and surprise factor.

With no team preview in DW, I very often come across my Azelf vs. an opponents Genesect straight out of the gate. This Azelf will beat scarfed or RP Genesect 100% of the time. The opponent always thinks, "Hey, it's an Azelf, I'll just ScarfTurn this thing and smash it for super effective damage!" Wrong.

Azelfs base speed allows it to outspeed any Genesect without even running a speed nature, and due to Genesects trollish base 99 speed, it falls short even running Timid/Hasty/whatever by 4 points with Azelf running Adamant. Azelf Fire Punchs that insect bastard to hell and back and grabs a severe amount of momentum straight out of the gate as your opponent is in tears losing their beloved Genesect so early.

Why Adamant and not Modest you might ask? Azelfs special movepool is obviously a lot stronger than it's physical pool, right? Well, this may be true, but again, nobody expects a physical Azelf, and with her base stats being 125 in physical or special, she's very capable of going either way. Ice Punch (383 Atk Ice Punch > 383 SpA HP Ice) and a MUCH stronger U-Turn are also great reasons to run physical.

Trick is really an optional slot. You can opt for Zen Headbutt or something if you really feel like you need a STAB, or if Keldeo is a big annoyance to your team, but Trick is a great move and it really messes up annoying walls later on in the game.

This thing is just incredibly annoying to face. Keeping rocks (no need to worry about spikes with the ever-amazing levitate) off the field is obviously very helpful, as this thing will be switching in and out A LOT, putting constant pressure on the opponent. Also, this is obvious, but don't take large risks with her thinking you can survive a hit and strike twice, because while Azelf is incredibly versatile, it has the durability of a wet paper bag and a decent STAB attack from almost anything will put some serious hurt on her.

I urge any DW players to give this thing a shot. Azelf is such a capable and underrated Pokemon.

BurningMan

fueled by beer
How about this Landorus set?

[pimg]645[/pimg]
Landorus @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Nature: Hasty / Naive
EVs: 252 Sp.Atk, 252 Speed, 4 Att
- Earth Power
- HP Fire
/ HP Flying / HP Ice
- Psychic / Grass Knot / Focus Blast
- Rock Slide / Grass Knot / Focus Blast
The Moves should be

-Earth Power
-HP Ice
-Focus Blast
-U-Turn

HP Fire serves really no good purpose outside of OHKOing Scizor and Ferro 100% of the time (it also drops your speed one point wich sucks because you now tie with base 100s). Earth Power almost OHKOs Scizor with SR (guaranteed after 2 switch ins or a layer of spikes) and always OHKOs Forretress with SR (has a good chance to do so without). Standart Feroo can be 2HKOd by Focus Blast + Earth Power (with SR and a layer of spikes you can 2HKO only with Earth Power). Skarmory has a good chance to be OHKOd after SR by Focus Blast. Since you can now use HP Ice you don't have to worry about the dragons (well except for the Latis) and can use a Timid Nature. Psychic is also completly useless unless your horribly frightend by Baloon Terrakion or Gengar. U-Turn is as useful as ever and should be the last move of choice though there are quite a lot other gimmicky options like sludge wave for Celebi.

Oh Sheer Force is also currently unreleased as far as i know.

HP Fire serves really no good purpose outside of OHKOing Scizor and Ferro 100% of the time (it also drops your speed one point wich sucks because you now tie with base 100s).
Landorus with 30 Speed IVs reaches 330 Speed.

I doubt that ties with positive nature base 100 Speed Pokemon.

^^ As was said above me, Landorus with HP Fire has a speed of 330, whereas the highest speed base 100 Pokes can reach is 328. So it's not a problem.

You forgot to mention that HP Fire takes cares of Forretress in 1 shot. And additionally, you don't have to rely on the pathetic 70% accuracy of Focus Blast. And remember, the odds of Focus Blast hitting 2 out of 2 times are just 49% in case you find yourself in the position of needing it to hit twice. (As you will against Skarmory)

With HP Ice you're really gaining the ability to hit Dragonite, Salamence, Flygon, Gliscor and opposing Landorus harder. (Landorus really can't do much against Latios and Latias either way)

With HP Fire you're gaining critical advantages over Ferrothorn, Forretress, Skarmory, and Scizor, all of which are commonly switched in to counter Landorus - and that's the key difference.

With Psychic and Rock Slide you can still 2HKO all of the Pokemon that HP Ice can 1-shot, and can also 2HKO Dragonite with Stealth Rock support. And fortunately, Landorus can outspeed all of these Pokemon so none of them can switch into Landorus safely.

Psychic is also nice for Gengar, Conkeldurr, Mienshao, Venusaur, Crobat, Heracross, Machamp, Hitmontop, and Roserade, among others.

Rock Slide allows you to hit most flying types super effectively and take out Volcorana in 1 shot.

I don't like Focus Blast because of the pathetic 70% accuracy and because it doesn't do much that Landorus can't already do with the move set I suggested. It does allow you to 1-shot Tyranitar (if it hits) but Earth Power is still doing massive damage to TTar. Most normal and dark types are already hit very hard by Earth Power, and rock, steel, and ice types are already hit for super effective damage with Earth Power, HP Fire, and Rock Slide.

U-turn is always nice, but there's plenty of other Pokemon that can already do this. The goal of this Landorus is not to scout and possibly get a nice switch, but rather to hit Pokemon who DO switch into it far harder than your opponent expected. Then your opponent is forced to either let their Pokemon be 2HKOed or to switch out again.

looks like you forgot me...
Feraligatr - 252 Atk, 252 Spd, 4 Def(Jolly)
Dragon dance
Aqua tail
Earthquake
Ice Punch
I'm waiting for Feraligatr to have Sheer Force released; I'm begging they release a female Totodile w/ the DW ability otherwise we will be robbed of DD, an egg move.

Jumpluff (M) @ Flight Gem Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
- Substitute
- Sleep Powder
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatics

If you ever get tired of using Venusaur in sun, try this thing. Put something to sleep, sub up, boost you attack to a sky-high 458 and just go from there.
SubSeed Jumpluff is kinda worthless this gen now that Whimsicott is around, sure it gets Sleep Powder, but other than that it's inferior. This set is very fun to use and it's STAB move is only resisted by Rotom-W, Heatran, Tyranitar, Skarmory, Forretress, Magnezone,....and Jolteon.
Amazing.

Here's a game with it, although Castform was actually the star of this one:

http://pokemon.aesoft.org/replay-Tebow-Time-vs-Anemos--2011-11-08

Jumpluff (M) @ Flight Gem Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
- Substitute
- Sleep Powder
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatics

If you ever get tired of using Venusaur in sun, try this thing. Put something to sleep, sub up, boost you attack to a sky-high 458 and just go from there.
SubSeed Jumpluff is kinda worthless this gen now that Whimsicott is around, sure it gets Sleep Powder, but other than that it's inferior. This set is very fun to use and it's STAB move is only resisted by Rotom-W, Heatran, Tyranitar, Skarmory, Forretress, Magnezone,....and Jolteon.
Amazing.

Here's a game with it, although Castform was actually the star of this one:

http://pokemon.aesoft.org/replay-Tebow-Time-vs-Anemos--2011-11-08
Bronzong, Jirachi, and metagross too.

Honestly, I don't see why you would use this when 458 atk is pitifully low and acrobatics still cant kill many pokemon with the flight gem boost.

Kyurem @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 56 HP / 236 SAtk / 216 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Dragon Pulse
- Blizzard
- Focus Blast

Don't know how far the originality goes here, but I've been using this Kyurem set effectively on a balanced Hail team. Although I guess you can use it on other (non)-weather teams as well if you change Blizzard to Ice Beam.
The idea is to force something out, so a Substitute can be set up. Once a Substitute is up, Kyurem can hit hard with one of its a coverage move. Kyurem is actually pretty bulky naturally so it can take a couple of weak hits without the Substitute breaking and with 405 HP it needs 2 Seismic tosses / Night Shades (405 also gives 5 SR switch-ins). Enough Speed to outspeed stuff like Lucario and Dragonite, and the rest is dropped in SAtk for more power obviously. And Pressure is a actually a pretty annoying ability when abused right. This set works even better with Toxic Spikes on the field so Kyurem can beat Chansey/ Blissey and the likes with more ease.

EDIT @MC Fatigue: I think I saw that, or a similar, Jumpluff on Youtube once. It can be pretty effective, although I doubt a good player will get "surprised" by it.

Bronzong, Jirachi, and metagross too.

Honestly, I don't see why you would use this when 458 atk is pitifully low and acrobatics still cant kill many pokemon with the flight gem boost.
Takes out anything that doesn't resist it for the most part. Plus, you can usually get 2 SDs anyway. Most people just expect a Leech Seed set.

But yeah, I should really stick to Ninetales/Venusaur/Starmie/Volcarona/Dragonite/Dugtrio so my team can be like every other sun team out there, right? Otherwise...I might lose. OMFG!!

The problem with Pluff is while it's fast, its typing isn't doing it any favors. Acrobatic hurts, but then what? Ice Shard, any random ice attack, etc, takes it out. It's also stopped by a lot of Steels, even at +2 (Jirachi, Metagross, Bronzong, Skarm). It's not bad per se, but it needs more support than other sun sweepers. Tangrowth, Lilligant and Sawsbuck, for example, are underrated sun abusers for OU.

I present to you MixGear
Klinklang
Ability: n/a (Clear Body once released)
Nature: Hasty/Naive
EVS: 40 HP/252 Atk/80 SpA/136 Spd
-Shift Gear
-Gear Grind
-HP Ground/Fire/Fighting
-Return/Substitute

EVs seem kind of weird, but they all play an important role. With the attack/speed EVs, you get 448 attack and 550 speed with one boost. HP Ground OHKOs offensive Magnezones, and 2HKOs most of the more defensive ones. Gear Grind does HUGE amounts of damage to anything that doesn't resist it, and a solid amount to things that do. Frustration hits everything else.

Sub is usable to block Burn and Paralysis, which ruin the set, and the other Hidden Powers are useful for KOing Ferro/???. You COULD run Rock Smash, but that would be stupid.

The small amount of bulk is nice, since it survives Tbolts and HP Fires from non-specs Magnezones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)