Clamperl (QC: 0/3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nineage

Pugnacious.
is a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Overview
########

+ Insanely powerful attacker, hitting 34 Special Attack holding its signature item, DeepSeaTooth
+ Gets the coveted shell smash, allowing it to double that already high Sp. Atk and patch up its low speed in one turn
+ Rattled lets it switch into the common Knock Offs and U-turns of LC and grab a speed boost.
- Shell smash, while a great boosting move, lowers both defenses, leaving clamperl vulnerable to the priority attacks found everywhere in LC
- Mediocre Defenses make it hard to set up
- Is mainly outclassed by Tirtouga as a Shell Smash sweeper due to lack of sturdyjuice and priority, but hits harder than Tirtouga.

Set Name
########
name: Shell Smash
move 1: Shell Smash
move 2: Surf
move 3: Ice Beam
move 4: Hidden Power Grass / Substitute
ability: Rattled
item: DeepSeaTooth / Eviolite
evs: 76 HP / 248 SpA / 180 Spe
nature: Timid

Moves
========
  • Shell Smash is the obvious boosting up, patching up clamperls low speed and boosting its sky-high special attack to the point where it can OHKO most of the tier.
  • Surf is Clamperls top STAB option, and should be the go-to spam move.
  • Ice Beam provides coverage on things Surf doesnt hit.
  • The last slot can be used for Substitute, to avoid revenge kills from Sucker Punchers like Murkrow and Pawniard, and to help Clamperl set up, but Hidden Power Grass allows Clamperl to beat bulky water types that would otherwise wall it, OHKOing the bulkiest of Chinchou and Slowpoke with DeepSeaTooth, and 2HKOing with Eviolite (after rocks)
Set Details
========
  • EVs maximize Clamperls special attack and speed for best sweeping potential, with the extra point thrown into HP.
  • Timid nature should always be used over modest. Not only does it let Clamperl reack 19 speed after switching into a bug, ghost, or dark type attack, it lets it outspeed many scarf pokemon after boosting.
  • DeepSeaTooth allows Clamperl to wreak more havoc, doubling its Special Attack, but Eviolite gives it a much-appreciated defensive boost to help it set up.
Usage Tips
========
  • DeepSeaTooth Clamperl: Can either be used early game as a wallbreaker firing off powerful attacks, since it doesnt need the Shell Smash boost as much, or late game once all priority users have been removed.
  • Eviolite Clamperl is best used late-game since it can't hit hard without a shell smash boost, and the bulk Eviolite provides lets it tank a hit when switched in after an ally has fainted.
Team Options
========
  • Clamperl needs a team centered around it to have any shot sweeping.
  • Priority in LC is common, and a huge threat to the sweeping ability of this mon.
  • Hazards allow is to score some KOs it couldnt get otherwise, as well as wearing down some of its bulky switch ins over a match. Dwebble and Onix, who with Berry Juice are almost guranteed rocks and a layer of spikes, are good partners for this reason.
  • Pokemon that can provide setup opportunities are also good partners, such as Encore Cottonee and Foongus.
  • Wynaut gets honorable mention for being able to trap scarfers who might otherwise ruin Clamperls day.

Other Options
########
  • Clamperl can go defensive with DeepSeaScale doubling its special defense and scald to cripple physical attackers, but it is usually outclassed by Slowpoke.

Checks and Counters
########
**Very bulky pokemon**: Pretty much only Munchlax and Ferroseed can take any hit and OHKO back, but will be severly damaged in the process.
**Revenge Killers**: Revenge killing Clamperl is the best way to go: Pawniard and Murkrow can take it out with a priority sucker punch but must beware of Substitute. Mienfoo and Meditite can hurt it with fake out, and Timburr and Croagunk with Vaccum Wave and Mach Punch, but need it to be severely weakened to KO.
**Fast scarfers**: Fast scarfers, such as Misdreavus, can outspeed Clamperl even at +2 and KO.
As always, the best way to counter Clamperl is not to let it set up.

Last edited:

Nineage

Pugnacious.
is a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Please give comments on what I have, I sometimes am not clear in what I write or miss something obvious. Will finish the rest later!

Something I personally like to see when reading an analysis is what specific tiers timid / modest outspeed. You did that nicely, mentioning the 19 Speed tier, but I would like to know what tiers modest fails to outspeed after a Smash boost (just +2, so not assuming a Rattled boost). Which scarfers do I have to worry about if I run modest?

Nineage

Pugnacious.
Something I personally like to see when reading an analysis is what specific tiers timid / modest outspeed. You did that nicely, mentioning the 19 Speed tier, but I would like to know what tiers modest fails to outspeed after a Smash boost (just +2, so not assuming a Rattled boost). Which scarfers do I have to worry about if I run modest?
Thanks for the input, I will add it in. Mostly, Modest is just redundant. 4 special attack points get it no KOs it wouldnt otherwise get (correct me if Im wrong) but one speed point in LC is huge.

Orphic

perhaps
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hi there, there are a few things wrong with your formatting. For example, please can you leave spaces between each category so that I can clearly see them instead of one huge block of text. This might just be a personal one but in your overview, each point is labelled with a +, to me, it's better if the positive points are lablled '+' and the negative points with '-'. Right now it looks like you have 6 positive points, but when I read, there are 2 or 3 negative ones. Other Options and Checks & Counters should have ######## not =========. As for the formatting of the Checks & Counters section, the formatting has changed. It needs to look like this:
**Fairy types**: Spritzee and Snubbull are both immune to Axew's stab and are bulky enough to receive little damage from coverage moves unboosted. Snubbull especially because of intimidate. If you lay out the Check/Counter and then give examples like this, it's much easier.
Can you also lay this out in bullet points? It shouldn't read as paragraphs until you have 3 QC approvals.

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
what are eviolite clamperls advantages over other shell smashers? not asking you to remove it, just a genuine question

Nineage

Pugnacious.
Hi there, there are a few things wrong with your formatting. For example, please can you leave spaces between each category so that I can clearly see them instead of one huge block of text. This might just be a personal one but in your overview, each point is labelled with a +, to me, it's better if the positive points are lablled '+' and the negative points with '-'. Right now it looks like you have 6 positive points, but when I read, there are 2 or 3 negative ones. Other Options and Checks & Counters should have ######## not =========. As for the formatting of the Checks & Counters section, the formatting has changed. It needs to look like this:
**Fairy types**: Spritzee and Snubbull are both immune to Axew's stab and are bulky enough to receive little damage from coverage moves unboosted. Snubbull especially because of intimidate. If you lay out the Check/Counter and then give examples like this, it's much easier.
Can you also lay this out in bullet points? It shouldn't read as paragraphs until you have 3 QC approvals.
Im sorry I was tired when I first wrote this up. Is it better?

Nineage

Pugnacious.
what are eviolite clamperls advantages over other shell smashers? not asking you to remove it, just a genuine question
I guess there arent any. I mentioned it because setting up with clamperl is hard to do. Do you think it should be removed?

I personally wouldn't mention Clampearl being a good switch-in to Knock Off in the overview, as it really loves the power of DeepSeaTooth. The DeepSeaTooth is also what really helps allow Clampearl to not be outclassed by Tirtuga completely.

Nineage

Pugnacious.
You make a good point. I will warn against mindlessly switching into knock off but that speed boost can help late game

Vileman

Actually a Nice Fella
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
UPL Champion
Other options can be substitute+3 attacks with max spc attack/hp, getting subs up vs mons like slowpoke isnt that hard but still, the first set is better. Still a best other option than defensive clamperl who should never be used in any serious team.
  • Eviolite Clamperl is best used late-game since it can't hit hard without a shell smash boost, and the bulk Eviolite provides lets it tank a hit when switched in after an ally has fainted. <- no, without deepseatooth it has no reason to be used at all
Slash modest after timid; modest lets it hit harder and we are looking to get some important damage done, but you could look up what clamperl is not outspeeding with this change. Add wynaut on the list of encorers as that is also a big advantage it has a partner; those 2 are good together.
Rattled lets it switch into the common Knock Offs and U-turns of LC and grab a speed boost. <- take knock off out; and add in usage tips to avoid knock off at all costs as it severely cripples it
Having no hazards on clamperl side of the field lets it live some priority attacks, so it might be a good thing to add in team options.
Appart from that i think it looks good :]

Brambane

protect the wetlands
is a Contributor Alumnus
Other Shell Smashers: Shellder, Omanyte, Dwebble, Binacle, Tirtouga

Dwebble is a completely different typing so I'll just put it aside

Omanyte, Binacle and Tirtouga are all part Rock, meaning they are weak to Fighting-type priority and shit like Drain Punch and Earthquake. The tradeoff is secondary STAB and the ability to set up super easy on birds.

Shellder is physical, has much lower Special Defense and relies on Skill Link (and the unSTAB moves that go with it)

So Eviolite Clamperl's advantages are:
1. Pure Water special attacker
2. Solid Special Attack even without DeepSeaTooth
3. Special Defense greater than that of tissue paper
4. Element of surprise, most people expect DeepSeaTooth

Nineage

Pugnacious.
Other options can be substitute+3 attacks with max spc attack/hp, getting subs up vs mons like slowpoke isnt that hard but still, the first set is better. Still a best other option than defensive clamperl who should never be used in any serious team.
  • Eviolite Clamperl is best used late-game since it can't hit hard without a shell smash boost, and the bulk Eviolite provides lets it tank a hit when switched in after an ally has fainted. <- no, without deepseatooth it has no reason to be used at all
Slash modest after timid; modest lets it hit harder and we are looking to get some important damage done, but you could look up what clamperl is not outspeeding with this change. Add wynaut on the list of encorers as that is also a big advantage it has a partner; those 2 are good together.
Rattled lets it switch into the common Knock Offs and U-turns of LC and grab a speed boost. <- take knock off out; and add in usage tips to avoid knock off at all costs as it severely cripples it
Having no hazards on clamperl side of the field lets it live some priority attacks, so it might be a good thing to add in team options.
Appart from that i think it looks good :]
I'll change it but I'd like to know what you think of what DracoYoshi said because it pretty much sums up why I included eviolite clamperl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)