Celebi QC (1/3) QC Rejected (2/3)

yet it's on the set and slashed first lol
Yeah it's first on NastyPass because you want to be as fast as possible to Baton Pass, so outspeeding rare threats like Lucario is actually worth it. However, the offensive set, it really isn't worth it since you want to be doing as much damage as possible.

idk, Shaymin seemed better than that other than being a bit better against keldeo because Seed Flare >> Leaf Storm

Defensive celebi is OK because it doesnt take up a mega slot and it can t-wave shit
Yeah but you already have Chansey for TWave if you really want it and it there is like literally no reason to not use Mega Venusaur on stall unless you want to use something like Mega Scizor/Mega Aggron, which even then is kinda stupid...

Yeah it's first on NastyPass because you want to be as fast as possible to Baton Pass, so outspeeding rare threats like Lucario is actually worth it. However, the offensive set, it really isn't worth it since you want to be doing as much damage as possible.

it's slashed first on the offensive set you just posted lol

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
Yeah but you already have Chansey for TWave if you really want it and it there is like literally no reason to not use Mega Venusaur on stall unless you want to use something like Mega Scizor/Mega Aggron, which even then is kinda stupid...
mega zard also has a place on stall, but, Celebi/Venu doesnt necessarily need to be on stall teams, it can fit on bulkier teams looking for a pivot/keldeo counter/paralysis spreader

it's slashed first on the offensive set you just posted lol
Did you read what I said? Modest is ONLY used with HP Fire since it has a lowered Speed IV. But if you're running HP Rock (Which should be Ancient Power, since it doesn't lower your Speed IV) Timid is prefered to Speed tie with Pokemon like Zard Y.

mega zard also has a place on stall, but, Celebi/Venu doesnt necessarily need to be on stall teams, it can fit on bulkier teams looking for a pivot/keldeo counter/paralysis spreader
Yeah, I guess that's true. Though even still I'd probably use something like Latias w/ Roost, or even Slowbro. I think more QC input would be appreciated.

CyclicCompound

is a bicycle person thing
is a Contributor Alumnus
I'm supporting Ash Borer on this, with basically the same logic—Thunder Wave makes it really dangerous for a lot of Celebi counters to switch in (Mega Charizard X/Y, Talonflame, Mega Pinsir, etc.), and sometimes you don't have a free mega slot for Venusaur. Keldeo, Rotom-W, and Mega Gyarados are all good reasons why defensive Celebi is viable.

I don't think I would support an Offensive set anymore, however, despite my past support of it. I would actually use Shaymin over Celebi in most cases, because a Psychic typing and a slightly-more-accurate-yet-still-worse-STAB don't do as much favors to Celebi as they hold it back. And in both cases, they're overshadowed by better, more effective special attackers in the tier, including but not limited to Mega Charizard Y, Keldeo, Aegislash, Deoxys-S, Kyurem-B, and so on, all Pokemon with more valuable niches than "It has balanced stats" and "it counters Rotom-W."

LightningLuxray, I know you've tested defensive sets before, but Ash Borer's set is a little more oriented towards crippling opposing Pokemon with Thunder Wave and avoiding Pursuit, making it far more of a defensive support Pokemon than a defensive stall Pokemon. It looks like it could allow most bulky offense or balanced teams to easily outspeed and overwhelm typical HO Pokemon. Try putting it on a more balanced team rather than trying to make it a worse Mega Venusaur, and let me know your thoughts afterward.

I'm supporting Ash Borer on this, with basically the same logic—Thunder Wave makes it really dangerous for a lot of Celebi counters to switch in (Mega Charizard X/Y, Talonflame, Mega Pinsir, etc.), and sometimes you don't have a free mega slot for Venusaur. Keldeo, Rotom-W, and Mega Gyarados are all good reasons why defensive Celebi is viable.

I don't think I would support an Offensive set anymore, however, despite my past support of it. I would actually use Shaymin over Celebi in most cases, because a Psychic typing and a slightly-more-accurate-yet-still-worse-STAB don't do as much favors to Celebi as they hold it back. And in both cases, they're overshadowed by better, more effective special attackers in the tier, including but not limited to Mega Charizard Y, Keldeo, Aegislash, Deoxys-S, Kyurem-B, and so on, all Pokemon with more valuable niches than "It has balanced stats" and "it counters Rotom-W."

LightningLuxray, I know you've tested defensive sets before, but Ash Borer's set is a little more oriented towards crippling opposing Pokemon with Thunder Wave and avoiding Pursuit, making it far more of a defensive support Pokemon than a defensive stall Pokemon. It looks like it could allow most bulky offense or balanced teams to easily outspeed and overwhelm typical HO Pokemon. Try putting it on a more balanced team rather than trying to make it a worse Mega Venusaur, and let me know your thoughts afterward.
Hmm, ok, I'll give it a try and see how it works out :)

Did you read what I said? Modest is ONLY used with HP Fire since it has a lowered Speed IV. But if you're running HP Rock (Which should be Ancient Power, since it doesn't lower your Speed IV) Timid is prefered to Speed tie with Pokemon like Zard Y.
lol

you had HP rock listed earlier (which also forces a 30 speed iv), hence the confusion

Hmm, I tested it in one game and... well I'm not sure if I really liked it. I mean first and foremost this thing is total Aegislash bait; it switches in and either Sub's on you, Shadow Balls, or Sacred Swords as you switch into lets say, Bisharp. I mean in a metagame where Dark-type attacks run rampant I feel like this thing requires quite a lot of support to be effective.

Secondly I really feel like Thundy and/or Chansey outclass it a ton of you need Thunder Wave support. I mean like literally the only niche Celebi has over these two is countering a few specific threats. But I mean at that point I'd rather just use Mega Venusaur, or even the combination of Keldeo counter + Thundy/Chansey.

Idk I just find that the supportive set has a really specific niche that seem like it's not worth an analysis. Would either of you have replays of it working Ash Borer CyclicCompound ? I honestly just feel like this thing's real only niche is as an offensive Grass-type, and if that doesn't suffice then maybe this thing should get rejected idfk...

Ash Borer

I've been playing a bit with sdef celebi, and tbh, I think it is Celebi's best shot in this meta. HOwever, I also feel as if its niche is pretty small, and its just not good enough at its job.

Although it has the ability counter Keldeo/Breloom, its myriad of exploitable weaknesses that pokes such as Thundy/Lando which it might be decent at dealing with otherwise easily beat it with. Faster pursuit users exist, such as Jolly Sharp / Scarf TTar / WEavile also fuck with Celebi. Sub/Taunt Gyara beats it as you need Psychic, the paralysis nerf really hurts it being unable to paralyze electric types that it should be able to deal with, and it just under performs overall.

Celebi just has such a bad matchup to so much of the meta... I think this is on the cusp on rejection, but I will ask more people about this before I go through with it.

I've been playing a bit with sdef celebi, and tbh, I think it is Celebi's best shot in this meta. HOwever, I also feel as if its niche is pretty small, and its just not good enough at its job.

Although it has the ability counter Keldeo/Breloom, its myriad of exploitable weaknesses that pokes such as Thundy/Lando which it might be decent at dealing with otherwise easily beat it with. Faster pursuit users exist, such as Jolly Sharp / Scarf TTar / WEavile also fuck with Celebi. Sub/Taunt Gyara beats it as you need Psychic, the paralysis nerf really hurts it being unable to paralyze electric types that it should be able to deal with, and it just under performs overall.

Celebi justh as such a bad matchup to so much of the meta... I think this is on the cusp on rejection, but I will ask more people about this before I go through with it.
Yeah, even though I love Celebi, both its offensive and defensive sets struggle in this meta. NastyPass faces serious competition from other Baton Pass users, such as Smeargle and Gorebyss, and Mega Venusaur overshadows it in a lot of its roles.

Love ya Celebi, but you kinda suck </3

Ash Borer

Alright since the author is in support of rejection mostly, and from the basis that

Purely offensive Celebi is basically worse than Shaymin on account of lack of Seed Flare, among its more numerous weaknesses and such, and Shaymin was rejected :X. BP Celebi is neat, however in full BP teams it has little place, while the quick pass tactic is better left to Gorebyss most of the time. Finally defensive Celebi struggles too greatly with common weaknesses and ability to damage the enemy with its weak psychics and Thunder Waves that 2 whol types are immune to. It is in general outclassed by Venusaur and Amoonguss.

Celebi isn't terrible, but I feel like it's not worth using, unless you had a really specific reason for using it, and not Venusaur/Amoonguss, or other things to deal with fighting types like.. say Latios?

QC Reject 1/3

Last edited:

CyclicCompound

is a bicycle person thing
is a Contributor Alumnus
I think the appropriate reasons have been stated or summarized already—extremely poor typing that prevents it from doing its job effectively alongside massive competition in all fields.

QC Rejected 3/3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)