CAP 12 CAP1 - Miscellaneous Flavor - (Flavor Ability Discussion)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right, I'll comment on the abilities suggested so far:

I'm really beginning to hate Big Pecks, particularly because people are really taking this "bird but not a bird" thing too far. Tomohawk is not a freaking bird. Big Pecks is really "Pigeon Heart". This doesn't fit.

Defiant and Unnerve don't have enough of a good reason for me to support them. Keen Eye is similar; I can sort of see it in Tomohawk, but ultimately the reasoning seems weak to me. Pickpocket might be a good reference to the myth where the raven steals the sun et al, but I think that I've referenced those legends enough in my movepool.

Moxie is hilarious and I'm not going to discount it. reachzero also suggested Moody a while ago, as well as Contrarian as a joke. Ultimately, though, they seem too joke-like.

Justified seems a bit too pretentious for me.

My favourites mentioned so far are Friend Guard, White Smoke and Healer, all somewhat evoking images of aboriginal tribal chiefs. My movepool kind of sort of lacks in the ally-helping department, and afaik medicine is important in aboriginal leadership so Healer is a bit preferred for me.

Justified? That's a great idea paintseagull. I'm also jumping on the "No Big Pecks for Tomohawk" bandwagon, for the reasons that paintseagull brought up. Also White Smoke on Tomohawk is quite lulzy. I'd be for it.

Not to rain on the white smoke parade, but I beleive that was on the competitively viable list. I still like big pecks. I imagine a mammal would need some big pectorals to keep itself airborne, and it is part fighting. Also the original Japanese name of pigeon heart works too. It implies it's a bird at heart. Or is that too cheesy?

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm really beginning to hate Big Pecks, particularly because people are really taking this "bird but not a bird" thing too far. Tomohawk is not a freaking bird. Big Pecks is really "Pigeon Heart". This doesn't fit.
Just want to point out that we are not implementing a Pokemon iin a Japanese game, so the Japanese name really doesn't matter. Don't say that it is really something else, because that is not true. It is really and officially Big Pecks. If you don't like it, that's fine, but don't try to say its name is not real.

Big Pecks would definitely help Tomo's momentum, as momentum is a function of weight, and Big Pec(k)s likely beefs up the catbird. However, seeing as a Plusle or Minun can Seismic Toss a Wailord without killing itself, it is safe to conclude that physics are irrelevant in a Pokemon battle. (Also, water doesn't explode when bitten by a hyena.)

That said, tons of other people are voting Inner Focus. Add me to the crowd.

Inner Focus fits the Native American look of Tomohawk; chieftains are typically shown to be resolute, or focused. In battle, although seriously outclassed by Prankster and Intimidate, Inner Focus could help the 'hawk take Fake Outs AND escape the momentum-killing flinches from Iron Head and Air Slash. People like flinch hax as much as they like roasted nuts. And NOBODY likes roasted nuts.

INNER FOCUS '11

Not to rain on the white smoke parade, but I beleive that was on the competitively viable list.
Uh, no it's not...

Just want to point out that we are not implementing a Pokemon iin a Japanese game
Uh, yes we are, technically. Not to be a dick about it, but since almost all Pokémon come from Japan, and even the foreign-made ones may not even be entirely foreign, it's much more realistic to have the Japanese connotation in mind.

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Uh, yes we are, technically. Not to be a dick about it, but since almost all Pokémon come from Japan, and even the foreign-made ones may not even be entirely foreign, it's much more realistic to have the Japanese connotation in mind.
I know Pokemon is Japanese. That was not my point. My point is that we here use the English names, and the english names we use are just as official as the Japanese ones. I'm not trying to discredit the Japanese names, I'm just saying that they are not more real, and no more important than the English ones.

Instead of wasting our choice on an ability that will never be used, why not give it an ability that is only competitive in doubles? anyone?

edit: NM, I don't think there are any good ones

It's gotta be Moxie or Big Pecks. Big Pecks is great because Tomo is Flying/Fighting, so it applies to both sides of the pun. Moxie is certainly not competitive on Tomohawk, and the move is pretty much momentum incarnate, building with each turn.

I'd also support Moody. It has the same sort of "momentum" effect as Moxie, and is uncompetitive since it has been banned.
Nononononono. Not moody. It may be banned from OU, but moody (last I checked) still is allowed in Ubers. This thing would be beyond ridiculous as a Moody abuser.

Instead of wasting our choice on an ability that will never be used, why not give it an ability that is only competitive in doubles? anyone?

edit: NM, I don't think there are any good ones
I would agree with that, but Intimidate is probably the best for that anyway.

I agree that Inner Focus, if it's allowed, should be the flavour ability, because it looks right, and is that generic fighting-type ability.

Gotta say, I don't love Big Pecks. I hate the name and the puns and it is a lame ability. Since this is for flavour, those reasonings count! Tomohawk and pre-Tomohawk (both designs that are in the running) are cooler than that! Because he has such fierce and righteous demeanor, and because fighting types are good versus dark, I think Justified is a great DW ability for Tomohawk.
Took the words right out of my mouth.

EDIT: @Sambobz, Own Tempo could be good! Swagger+Own tempo=Swords Dance

Focus

Ubers Tester Extraordinaire
NO MOODY! That would completely destroy any shred of merit that resides in the StreetPKMN metagame. Bad, bad idea.

ah, sorry capefeather. somone mentioned white smoke being on the list in an earlier post, and I assumed it was. I do not see it there now. Still, the only monsters to get it so far are fire types with rather obvious ways of generating smoke.
Justified seems pretty good, though I still find myself rooting for big pecks. either works, I suppose.

reachzero

the pastor of disaster
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Okay, so the abilities going to the poll will be White Smoke, Big Pecks, Keen Eye, Moody, Justified and Healer. Thanks for the input, everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)