CAP 8 CAP 8 - Part 9 - Art Poll 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
cartoons!
Cyzirvisheen
Zantimonius

there have been alot of excellent submissions but these stood out as superior

Zantimonius

I decided to vote for my favorite. Everyone else seems to be voting for all the good ones, which doesn't really help much because it's obvious that one of them will win... so why don't you just make your mind up and actually make a difference to the final result?

There is going to be another poll right?
Yes, unless one of the art submissions has more than 50% of the votes or something crazy like that already from the start. I don't think that's the case, though, since 4-5 names have been in almost every single post so far, if not more.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
There is going to be another poll right?
Yes, unless one of the art submissions has more than 50% of the votes or something crazy like that already from the start. I don't think that's the case, though, since 4-5 names have been in almost every single post so far, if not more.
In a poll where multiple choices are allowed, there will ALWAYS be another poll. It does not matter if one option is selected on more than 50% of the ballots. This poll is a "narrow down poll" -- it is simply to narrow the field of choices for the next poll.

Since several people have asked questions about the "unlimited votes" format of this poll -- I'll take this chance to explain it to everyone. This is not a policy review on art voting methods, so don't spin off a discussion on this. I'm just explaining this poll to the community. TL;DR Alert...

We chose to allow unlimited choices, to give more feedback to the artists that made submissions. With this many submissions, if we only allow voters to choose a couple of options, then most likely the top submissions will hoard all the votes, and some of the less popular options will receive little, if any, votes. You may think, "Whats wrong with that? They ARE the top choices, and this is a POLL." Well, not really.

This is a community that likes to encourage artists to participate. For artists, it's nice to see how well your art was received by the community. If the very best submissions get all the votes, and many artists get almost none -- that doesn't give a lot of feedback to the majority of artists. They don't really know if their art was "horrible" or just "not the best". And there is a HUGE difference between those two. By allowing unlimited votes, everyone can vote for all the art that they liked. This gives meaningful feedback to all the artists. Under this format, the results of the first poll will give every artist a quantitative assessment of how many people in the community liked their submission.

Presumably, the increased feedback will encourage more artists than it discourages. And, most importantly, it will definitely give feedback to the artists that are good, but not the best in this particular CAP. On past CAP projects, it's possible that some good artists were turned off on CAP projects because their art received little to no votes -- giving the artist the perception that their art "sucked". When, in fact, it didn't suck -- it just wasn't as good as the top three or four submissions that time around. With this form of first round voting, those artists should see that their art is well-received by a large number of people in the CAP community -- regardless of the voting results in later polls, when people are restricted to a single vote.

This is actually how we used to do it in the first couple of CAP projects (multiple votes in the first poll), but stopped doing it for some unknown reason.

By the way, this voting style has little to no impact on the very best submissions. They will still get a ton of votes, regardless. The submissions that will move on to the next round, are not significantly impacted by allowing voters unlimited votes during this round. It really only impacts the middle and lower portion of the field, by giving them better information. It also impacts the TL, because vote counting is a helluva lot harder. But, we have a TL, an ATL, and lots of other people in the community willing to help out -- so vote-counting should not be a problem.

This voting style also addresses a sentiment expressed over and over in the art submission threads -- "Wow, there are so many amazing submissions! There are so many I wish I could vote for..." Well, now you can. Vote for as many as you like. The purpose of this poll is not to determine the winner, it is to determine how much the community likes the entire field of entries. So vote for all the submissions you like. If you only like one submission, or you think one submission is undeniably better than the rest, that's fine -- cast a single vote. If you like a dozen submissions, and think they are all deserving of your vote, that's fine too -- cast a dozen votes. There is really no "right" or "wrong" ballot in this poll. Express your opinion with your vote, and I'm sure all the artists will appreciate the community feedback.

Props to:

Zantimonius
Regi DS
CactuarJoe

These guys have consistently produced great work for CAP and are my favorite submissions on the list.

holy shit these are some of the best artwork i've seen for CAP yet... alot of REALLY good looking enterys even the "worse" ones still look passable.

that said i chose

Yilx

Keishinkae

Wyverii

AuraStUrm

Zantimonius
Cartoons
CyzirVisheen
Wyverii
Regi DS

These are the ones that stood out to me the most, but there were a lot of great submissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)