CAP 7 CAP 7 - Part 5 - Ability Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be supporting an idea that hydrolphin had earlier, but not take credit for it.

I think that a Speed Intimidate would be perfect for this CAP, as well as Frisk. The reasoning? If you switch into something that has good speed and depends on that speed, it will definitely not like staying in, whatever the matchup be.

It would be perfect to ruin gameplans if it's scarfed, cause switches, and make this do some more scouting =D

Frisk is another alternative, though.

I really like Frisk and definatly consider it the top pick. Another ability to consider would be Trace. While not as common, sometimes learning dual abilites can be important. Trace has other subtle benefits. It allows it to come in on some things it would not normally be able to, such as Heatran or Flygon. Coming in on Scizor(which this takes all its attack very well), it gets a boosted U-Turn when it has to switch. Not to mention it further improves its survivability against Salamence by throwing an intimidate against it so regardless if its a dance or an outrage you have a much better chance of protecting your team from a sweep.

Coming in on Scizor(which this takes all its attack very well), it gets a boosted U-Turn when it has to switch.
?_?

Frisk seems like a given. There is not other ability currently existence that is purely scouting, apart from Forewarn which Frisk quite outclasses.

These are the abilities I'm tossing up right now:

Frisk: Really good choice for a scout. Reveals the opponent's item, and from that you can pretty much determine the set and react appropriately.

-Speed Intimidate: Most things won't like having a -1 in Speed, so this will hopefully cause a few switches and allow Scoutmon to gain some insight into a team as a result.

Clear Body:
Scoutmon's offenses probably won't be too high, so it won't like being Intimidated too much. This will let it switch-in and scout without worrying too much about that.

Anticipation/Forewarn: Similar to Frisk, would be useful for revealing info about the opponent's team. Frisk does it better though, so I'd prefer it to one of these.

Between these, I'm feeling Frisk and -Speed Intimidate to be the two best options right now.

Fear Switch:What bout an ability that when the user uses Whirlwind or Roar, it has normal priority instead of the - priority though if not implemented correctly, would cause it to be too broken, and kinda forces the user to have at least 1 of those two moves

but I feel both moves go towards the ideal scout a lot

Fear Switch:What bout an ability that when the user uses Whirlwind or Roar, it has normal priority instead of the - priority though if not implemented correctly, would cause it to be too broken, and kinda forces the user to have at least 1 of those two moves

I'm pretty sure it's a better idea to just make a new move for that instead of "spending" an ability on it.

frisk because it seems like the leading idea and work well with a scout but i also like the idea of a - speed intimidate, unique and valuable ability seem like a perfect match for CAP.

Im a big fan of both Frisk and Speed Intimidate. For a scout, they're both extremely good abilities, and work well with the project.

Magic Guard sounds good too.

CAP7 already has great typing against priority moves. If we went with this, we basically couldn't make it fast, or choice scarfing Whirlwind with various entry hazards would be the most irritating thing to fight against ever.

On that same note though, how about an ability somewhat along the lines of Frisk and Forewarn that shows the species of a random Pokemon on your opponent's team that you haven't seen yet?

CAP7 already has great typing against priority moves. If we went with this, we basically couldn't make it fast, or choice scarfing Whirlwind with various entry hazards would be the most irritating thing to fight against ever.
1. Since when did we have to make CAP7 fast? Just because it's a scout doesn't mean it has to have speed.

2. As well as Frisk (possibly renamed), I think the idea of a Forewarn-esque ability would work well on this pokemon too. Plus, given this pokemon's typing, I don't want it to get Levitate because that would pretty much make it a souped-up Bronzong.

Divination - Randomly reveals one pokemon in your opponents team?

I'd like to see an ability like this, it really helps with the idea that CAP7 will be switching in multiple times to do scouting. (which was the point of choosing steel/ghost, right?)

Frisk- The Ultimate Scout should be able to find what an opponent's item is, so it can immediately go to a counter from there.

Firsk should be the primary ability of the Ultimate Scout.

The Secondary Ability can be anything of the following:

Magic Guard- This can make the Ultimate Scout fearless of switching in to entry hazards or risk being statused. This is helpful when facing opponents that can either status, sweep, or both.

Levitate- This makes the Ultimate Scout's only weakness Fire, which can be helped with the use of an Occa Berry.

Filter- Ground and Fire moves won't do as much as they usually could do to the Ultimate Scout.

Heatproof- Since we aren't discussing movesets yet, my reasoning for a certain move that the Ultimate Scout could have can be said here, I guess. Heatproof halves the damage from Fire attacks, and Magnet Rise can block Ground attacks, which can increase the effectiveness of the Ultimate Scout.

Trace- This can make the Ultimate Scout an effective check to Gyarados and Salamence by tracing Intimidate, and scout for abilities.

How will CAP7 become a souped-up Bronzong when we don't even know it's stats nor moves? For all we know, it could have a build similar to Ambipom or something.
I'm saying that if we give CAP7 Levitate, it has the chance of becoming a souped-up Bronzong. However, having looked at the stat spread poll, I don't think that's going to happen anyway since the bias is towards offence rather than defence.

I had an ability in mind that could make the pokemon alot more versitile.

Pure Speed (like pure power but just for speed). If we give CAP7 a pretty low base speed like 50-60. It could play really slow or really fast (this only works if it gets another ability ex. Clear Body that won't affect speed at all.). And because your oppnent don't know if your really fast or really slow the mind game of the scoutmon begins. You know there is quite few slow U-turners (the only two slower than 80 base speed being Scizor and Vespqueen). And being able to take a hit and then switch to a good counter isn't bad at all. If CAP7 switched in opponent switched to heateran. The oppnent know that if your have the fast one you'll only U-turn to a good bulky water ex. swampert. So it would probobly be better to attack with HP Grass insted of Fire blast/Flamethrower. But because CAP7 can be both it could be slower and expect the HP grass and stay in and U-turn after the attack.

Ok hopefully you got my point. I think that being able to choose if you want to play it slow or fast makes it more versitile and unpredicteble.

Frisk seems to be favored by the majority, and to be honest, I favor it as well. I do like Trace a lot though, in fact, another Tracer would be excellent.

I like Frisk a lot because a scout could definitely help a team by scouting the opponents item. Trace and Download definitely would also work.

I also think Limber could work. Paralysis can totally cripple your team, so it could switch in on Thunder Waves and help prevent your team from switching in to a costly attack.

Frisk is definitely the most straight forward way for this to scout and is probably one of the most useful, because the only other way to determine an item is through its effects. This is because using an item doesn't announce its name immediately, unlike using a move or switching.

Besides this, all the resistance abilities obviously allow more switch ins, but I think Steel offers enough. Natural Cure seems might work, but how often do you status something with Natural Cure? The only other ability I really like is the -Spd Intimidate.

I do like Frisk, as that would be the most direct method to make it a scout.

A secondary ability I would enjoy seeing is Sticky Hold, as it would be enormously helpful for a lead version of scoutmon, to be able scout out possible Trick users and not be crippled by the item.

Frisk again would be a useful scouting move.
Levitate i think would be useful for switching into Earthquakes
Intimidate also useful for crippling opponents and forcing a switch
Forewarn would be good for more scouting purposes

The only Ability mentioned that I'm really against is Magic Guard. This is a really powerful one but is kind of wasted on a Steel type.

CAP7 already resists SR and is Immune to Sandstorm, Toxic Spikes and all forms of Poison. It's a scout so will be likely to U-Turn out if Leech Seeded, and as it won't focus on sweeping, a Burn will not completely cripple it.

The only indirect damage this will be taking is Spikes and Hail, both of which are quite difficult tools to utilise anyway.

Given all of this, CAP7 won't be making fullest use of Magic Guard so it should be kept for another CAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)