CAP 7 CAP 7 - Part 1 - Concept Poll 3

Which concept should we use?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Magmortified

<b>CAP 8 Playtesting Expert</b>
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Use the clicky poll above to submit your vote. The order was decided based on number of votes received last poll.

Feel free to discuss in the thread.

Concept: Partner in Crime
Description: This Pokemon pairs up well with another, preexisting Pokemon. Similar, in base, to other Pokemon-pairings like "Celetran" or "Gyaravire." This Pokemon can work together to better accomplish one, or even both Pokemons' goals in the pairing.

I think it would be a good learning experience to see how a Pokemon we specifically built to be used with another Pokemon would work in regards to the partnered Pokemon, its effect on the metagame, and how a Pokemon works when it's got something else that can help cover it. We could discuss which Pokemon that this concept would be paired with in Concept Assessment, if it gets that far.
Name: Ultimate Scout
Description: A Pokemon that is very capable of forcing the opponent to reveal vital information about their team members and their moves using various techniques.

Scouting is an increasingly important role in the Platinum metagame. Moves like U-Turn, Substitute and Protect are highly valued for their ability to give us such vital information as what kind of responses do your opponents have to your sweepers, what hidden moves do they have, and so forth. Getting this information early on allows you to prepare yourself for any threats your opponent has waiting in the wings and come up with a game plan. This Pokemon would probably need resistances to common attacking types, particularly ones backed up by Choice items, as those allow for the best opportunity to U-Turn and reveal a counter. It wouldn't have to have amazing offenses, but enough to scare the opponent into making some revealing switches.
Concept: Low BST
Description: A pokemon with a low BST that can still rape thanks to his typing, movepool, or ability.

Maybe that's too specific, but maybe an easy-to-use Shedinja or not-as-broken Wobbuffet is what I'm trying to get at: something that doesn't need the sky-high stats to be good. I think this would be a unique idea for a CaP, imo, considering all the others have ~500 or something

I vote Partners in crime. I like the concept, and it would be good to see the ideas and possibilities for combination moves to advance the competitive battling.

On a different note, i'm new here so hi =)

Voted Ultimate Scout. To me, both Magmortified's and Acrticanus' concepts can be achieved without making a special concept for it.

Second to vote, but who cares...
Anyway, I voted again for Mag's concept because it is the concept of the remaining few that could best benefit the current metagame. Scouting can already be done by many pokemon, all we would be doing is make a pokemon that can do only that (although it would be the best).
And who really cares if we can prove we can make a competitive pokemon with a low BST? Besides, a pokemon has already been able to be proven good using X-Act's formula for the ODB, PSB, SS, etc.

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Voted Partner in Crime. I think it would be interesting to see what kind of pokemon we can make to compliment an already existent one.

With Anti-Stall out of the running, I think Partner in Crime is the option that will:

a) Allow for the most experimentation, and
b) Have the greater effect on the metagame, for good or ill.

It is also possible for this partner to take on other roles, depending on which Pokemon it is meant to support.

I voted ultimate scout. Low BST could be done in various ways anyways (although not quite to the concept) and Partner in Crime could lead to fanboyism or over-centralization between the two.

by the way, i'm also new here. hi everyone.

I originally voted for Anti-Stall, but since that's out, I voted for Partner in Crime. Since there isn't a set way for the two Pokemon to cooperate, they could even be used to break stall.

Magmortified

<b>CAP 8 Playtesting Expert</b>
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Partner in Crime could lead to fanboyism
We should, at least, keep in mind that any partnered Pokemon would generally have to be competitively viable in its own right. So that would help ease most of the fanboy urgings.

At the very least, Farfetch'd wouldn't make it because nothing good enough to make up for that doesn't want to partner with Farfetch'd anyways.

or over-centralization between the two.
That could be true for a lot of concepts (and, as a general rule, the current CAP shows up in the top or near enough of the usage stats anyways). So long as we're careful with what we're making, I don't think we'd have that issue.

Voted Ultimate Scout. CAP7 can head in a much more offensive direction than previous projects because of the great information that additional scouting can give to a player.

Kevin Garrett

is a competitor
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 12 Championis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
I've been thinking about the Ultimate Scout and the concept is growing on me. I changed my vote to that for this poll.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)