CAP 6 CAP 6 - Topic Leader Poll

Status
Not open for further replies.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Only CAP Policy Committee members can vote in this thread. Posts by anyone else will be deleted. Policy Committee members are listed here.

The Topic Leader is the most important leadership position in the project during the creation process. So, it is important that we pick someone that will do a good job. For this reason, we do not choose a TL by popular community vote. Instead we choose the TL by a committee of trusted expert project members.

Here is the list of self-nominated candidates (in the order they submitted their candidacy):

darkie
linton
cyberzero

The candidacy announcements and support posts from members of the community are in this thread: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48617 Please review all the information in that thread in order to inform your decision.

Here's how to vote:
  • Only current Policy Committee members are eligible to vote. Policy Committee members are listed here.

• Please post all three candidate names ranked in order of preference. Also, please include a brief summary of your reasons for the ranking on your ballot. Do not adjust your rankings to attempt to "game the poll results". As expert panelists, I hope we can expect everyone to vote fairly, and with integrity.

• If you do not complete a full ranked ballot with reasoning, as prescribed here, your ballot will be deleted. So, please take the time to evaluate all the candidates and compose a proper ranked ballot.

• I will only vote in the case of a tie. If my vote is needed, I will compose a ballot and cast it at the conclusion of this poll.

• Please post your ballots as soon as possible. This poll should close 24 hours from now. If any committee member needs more time to compose a ballot, please PM me and ask for an extension.

1. darkie
Darkie was my choice for EVO1 and he is still my choice for CaP6. I feel that he has the seniority and expertise to lead the project smoothly and soundly towards the goal.

2. cyberzero
cyberzero has posted in just about every topic I've read and they have always been good posts that were well thought out.

3. linton
No offense, I'm not entirely sure who you are, but I'm sure if I did a little more research, you'd be a fine Topic Leader.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
1. darkie
Sticking with darkie, we already voted him TL once for obvious reasons.

2. cyberzero
One of the more active people in the forum, he always has something to add to a conversation on the forum and on the server.

3. linton

Errr...No offense but I've never heard of you =/

1. darkie
2. cyberzero
3. linton

Darkie is obviously very committed to CAP and his badges show his maturity and leadership in general, so I'd like to see him back in business heh. Cyberzero I've seen on shoddy and seems like he knows his way around. Linton just didn't seem too confident about doing it this time, maybe later on.

1. darkie
The most experienced of the 3 candidates. Good resumé and always seems to be in control of the situation.

2. cyberzero
I'm confident cyberzero could also take on the job of TL and hope that he will run again in the future.

3. linton
Sorry but lack of visibility on the forum means I have no knowledge of linton's experience. Reviewing his recent posts doesn't reassure me.
I'd advise linton to be an active and intelligent poster in CAP6 and future CAPs if he wants to be seriously considered for TL.

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Gonna bandwagon here.

Darkie

I've seen him a lot on the CaP Server, and he knows what he's talking about. He's an excellent choice for TL. Furthermore, the way he dealt with the EVO project impressed me.

cyberzero

I also see him a lot on the CaP Server. He is respected by the community, and I wouldn't complain if he got chosen as TL.

linton

Sorry, never heard of you. Don't take it the wrong way though. D:

1. darkie
I feel he's most qualified and got kinda swiped by the EVO thing.

2. cyberzero
Cyberzero has a lot going for him. Very active on the server and I see him on the forum occasionally.

3. linton
I actually haven't seen linton on the forum or server too often. If he's more active next time... we'll see.

beej

everybody walk the dinosaur
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
1. darkie
2. cyberzero
3. linton

darkie was unanimously voted to be the TL for the EVO project, something that was new and much more unstable than CAP. I think that we can trust him with this project.

cyber would also make a fine TL, by the way, and I hope he runs again next time.

linton, I really have no idea who you are. :(

1. Darkie - Darkie is without a doubt, most qualified for this position. He was already lead for the week of EVO and he did a good job then.

2. Cyberzero - Always active in his posts. Judging by his posts in the CAP revision threads, he knows what he is talking about.

3. Linton - Looked over his posts, and didn't see much discussion of items, usually only voting and submitting concepts.

1. Darkie
2. Cyberzero
3. linton

Darkie is Darkie and has been around for ever and got gimped out of his dream job as EVO leader. Cyberzero is relatively active and linton seemed to appear just to nominate himself.

1. darkie - darkie has to be the pick, much more experience and even ran the postponed EVO Project.

2. cyberzero - cyberzero is active on the server along with being kind and helpful

3. linton - Who are you? I mean I haven't even seen you on the server at all.

SoT

I leave and they change my avatar to this?
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
1. darkie

Put a lot of thought into this first choice Cyber or Darkie. And darkie is gonna be my number one choice here, he's actively participated in this community for quite a good amount of time, and he's been nothing but helpful since he's been here.

2. cyberzero

Well, cyberzero has been very active as well. He's been contributing for the longest time and he's been very helpful. He'd be a very good TL as well, and if you don't win this round, I look forward to seeing you run later down the line.

3. linton

I'm sorry, I cannot say anything good about seeing as I really do not know you. Sorry that I can't vouch for you, I have no doubt that you'd be a good TL.

Well those are my votes, please don't take them too close to the heart, it's really just my opinion. Good Luck to winners, and for the ones who didn't get picked, don't be afraid to run again later down the road!

1. darkie - Standing by my main TL choice. Copy and Pasta my reasoning from before.

G_T reasoning why darkie should be TL said:
Respectable and quite knowledgeable about the needs of the metagame. Very active within the forum and on the server as well. His moderator status within the forum and server is also a plus as he can better steer people into the right direction.

2. cyberzero -
Very active within nearly ever project, Seem to have a good head on his shoulders based on all his post within revision threads.

3. Linton -
Hardly know the person and only seen him on the forum maybe once or twice. He's not active enough to be a TL in my opinion.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Here are my candidates for TL in order of preference:

darkie - As he says in his nomination, he has already been a TL (briefly) for the now defunct EVO project, and thus deserves to have a complete Topic Leader role now.

cyberzero - He has been around for quite long and has been involved in a lot of polls on the forum. The reason why I put him as my second-best preference is only because darkie has been a TL briefly already; in my view, cyberzero and darkie would have equal preference.

linton - In my view, linton has not been involved as much as darkie and cyberzero in CAP, and hence he is my third preference.

This will just be repeating points, but what more can be said

darkie - I don't need to repeat what has already been said

cyberzero - In just about any other circumstance i would have voted for him, very active on the server and always seems to promote intelligent discussion. Should run for TL next time, because would make a great TL.

linton - Just not experienced enough

1)darkie - the most qualified and most experienced of the candidates (having lead a least a bit of the evo and with moderating etc) , perhaps the person needed to ensure the CAP6 is a smooth and unanimous process

2)cyberzero - active around the forums and on the server but understandably is not as qualified/experienced as darkie. Could well get his/her chance in future. Seems like a good mature user.

3)linton - Have seen you around this forum/subforum a bit but I'm not sure about what you are like nor your experience within the project as someone with a strong vested interest within it.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
darkie
Active in PR threads, has been a TL, around on the server, pretty much always has useful contributions.

cyberzero
As has been said by many others, I think he would make a great TL.. however darkie is more qualified IMO. Assistant TL?

linton
Compared to the others not such a good choice.Also just asking why we have switched to public polling?

It seems to me that it would make the "voting for friends>better qualified people" effect slightly more pronounced, and discourages negative reasoning which I think is pretty important in some cases.
However it does have the advantage of being more open, not sure which I prefer but just throwing it out there.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Also just asking why we have switched to public polling?
It seems to me that it would make the "voting for friends>better qualified people" effect slightly more pronounced, and discourages negative reasoning which I think is pretty important in some cases.However it does have the advantage of being more open, not sure which I prefer but just throwing it out there.
Doug wanted more of a democracy, instead of this secret balloting. I haven't seen any "voting for friends" issues come up really, in every case there has been a clear favorite. Also, what's wrong with negative reasoning? If someone has less qualifications than someone else, why would you not say that, just because it's in public? That's basically talking about someone behind their back, something I don't really like to do unless extremely important.

Looks like i'm just going to repeat everybody else's reasons here.

darkie
- A very experienced member and I felt that he lucked out (unlucky) with the EVO project. I'm sure he's the best choice for this.

cyberzero- Another member that'll do well but he's slightly outclassed in experience by darkie. A great second choice.

linton
- I've seen no identifiable impact in threads from this member. Perhaps in the future when he/she's more experianced.

eric the espeon

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Doug wanted more of a democracy, instead of this secret balloting.
Yes, I do agree with that sentiment, and largely agree with this move but I wanted to get a few of the possible problems in the open a bit.

I haven't seen any "voting for friends" issues come up really, in every case there has been a clear favorite.
I would be surprised if there was not some element of bias, but yea most of the people voting should be able to minimise it.

Also, what's wrong with negative reasoning? If someone has less qualifications than someone else, why would you not say that, just because it's in public?
Negative reasoning is very useful and good in some cases, and may be toned down when talking about important people in public. I quoted the best example to you on shoddy (not going to post here but it was from the poll GT won if anyone saved the PM, by ffs).

That's basically talking about someone behind their back, something I don't really like to do unless extremely important.
If it helps people to be honest I think its a good thing.

Both ways have their problems I suppose, and openness is a good thing normally.
Maybe people could have the option of submitting votes privately if they felt more comfortable?

This should probably get a PR thread after voting finishes really....

DougJustDoug

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Public voting was part of my original proposal in the PR thread that led to the creation of this committee. I explained the problems with secret voting, and made public voting a specific bullet point in my proposal. Here's the exact words of that proposal:

• When holding panel votes, they would be done in voting threads in the CAP forum. Only approved panelists can post in the voting threads. Any non-panelist posts would be deleted. This makes the voting relatively easy to conduct.
Yes, public voting make it a little harder to make negative comments. But, I believe it is an essential responsibility of committee members to list the reasoning for their votes -- positive or negative. If you believe a candidate has drawbacks, then say so. The candidates can learn from it, and so can any other members that are perhaps thinking of running for TL in the future. Reasoned committee feedback is how I hope to educate the rest of the project about "what it takes" to be a TL.

If a committee member can't phrase negative feedback without flaming, then that will tell me quite a bit about the suitability of the committee member for future voting panels. The same can be said for committee members that vote based on personal bias, and not solid reasoning.

I think this poll has gone quite well with regards to feedback. We don't need to hold another Policy Review on the issue. If we encounter problems with future TL polls, then we can discuss it then.

eric the espeon

Sorry, I must have skim read that point.

Overall I agree with this move, and now that I see that it had been proposed clearly there is no reason to play devils advocate and bring up the opposing arguments.

If you want you can delete the conversation to clear up this thread.

DougJustDoug

All the votes are in...

Congratulations to darkie, the new Topic Leader for CAP 6!

darkie, please select an Assistant TL to serve as a backup in times where you need help keeping up the project pace. Make a post here regarding your ATL selection. After that, feel free to collect a slate of Concepts and open the Concept Poll.

Once you put up that poll, I will post a news item on the Smogon front page announcing the public start of CAP 6.

Good luck!
(and I promise I won't cancel your project this time...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)