CAP 6 CAP 6 - Part 9 - Counters Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I would have thought that Dusknoir and Spiritomb are bulky enough to come in, burn it and render it near useless for the rest of the match. Admittedly, neither will be KO-ing it any time soon either.
Not to mention the fact that the last time anyone seriously used Dusknoir or Spiritomb on a team seriously was pre-Revenankh. However, in theory they would work like Rotom-Appliance.

I'll use 252 HP/220 Def/36 Spd bold Zapdos with Leftovers

STONE EDGE - CASE1
CAP 6: 350 Atk (Adamant)
No field modifiers

46,35%-54,42%, very, VERY slight chance to 2HKO. Zapdos can outspeed and Roost off.

STONE EDGE - CASE 2
CAP 6: 350 Atk (Adamant)
Stealth Rock up

71,35%-79,42%, clean 2HKO, but, again, Zapdos can Roost.

STONE EDGE - CASE 3
CAP 6: 525 Atk (Adamant + Choice Band)

69,01%-80,98%, 2HKO. Probably this time Zapdos is slower, so, it won't be able to Roost off.

STONE EDGE - CASE 4
CAP6: 525 Atk (Adamant + Choice Band)

94,01%-105,98%, good chance to OHKO.
Whaat zarator I don't understand.

What's changed between CASE 2 and CASE 3 for Zapdos to suddenly move slower?

And what's changed between CASE 3 and CASE 4 for the damage output to increase?

I THINK the diffrence between (1 and 3) and (2 and 4) is that the odd numbers are without stealth rock, the even numbers include stealth rock, but i agree, those are sloppy damage calcs

Doesn't Slowbro like to run around with Hidden Power Electric? If that's correct, he'll be eating this guy alive, resisting both STABs and has much higher Def than CAP6 has Spec. Def. Also, Slowbro can just switch in and Calm Mind right away, because I would expect CAP6 to be forced out. If he isn't switched, Slowbro can just wear it down until it dies, at which point Calm Mind comes into effect.
Also, Starmie, Zapdos, Celebi, etc.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Doesn't Slowbro like to run around with Hidden Power Electric? If that's correct, he'll be eating this guy alive, resisting both STABs and has much higher Def than CAP6 has Spec. Def. Also, Slowbro can just switch in and Calm Mind right away, because I would expect CAP6 to be forced out. If he isn't switched, Slowbro can just wear it down until it dies, at which point Calm Mind comes into effect.
The only person who has ever used Slowbro on the server is Elevator_Music, and he doesn't even run HP Electric! Suicune is a better bet for that job. Heh he doesn't even use psychic. Really, everyone is trying way to hard to find counters, when obvious ones are staring it in the face.

ummm...if slowbro is being used, shouldn't he be using a STABed psychic against CAP6?

that being said, yay for CAP6 making slowbro already more viable.

Do we really need more counters than Celebi, Skarmory, and Cresselia. The rest of the top ten has much fewer, which is why we are doing this. There's also the fact that this is very easy to check, since it is slow (in comparison to the rest of the game) and won't have Technician priority moves. Almost any faster Flying or Psychic-type can switch in and threaten it at least once.

In cases 3 and 4 CAP6 carries a Choice Band, so there are probabilities that it will also run speed EVs. Since Bulky Zapdos sits at 245 Spd, CAP6 can invest enough speed to outrun, and since it has a Choice Band and so it is not meant as a tank, the Speed investment is much more probable than in cases 1 and 2. And in case 4 I forgot to mention SR down, my fault :-(. Anyway, the calcs should be correct, I used marriland damage calculator. I'll edit to correct the mistakes

skarmory isn't even really a good check since Hydro Pump will 2HKO most Shed Shell variants with SR.

I agree with Hyra and gorm: There's enough good counters, and plenty of checks.

Edited the nonsense I said before that. Sorry >_>

I don't think Gliscor will ever counter CAP6, since STAB waterfall will probably beat him faster than he can do anything back. Also, if this is supposed to be in the spirit of the example set by real pokemon (I'm pretty sure the mission statement says something to that effect) then he should get some ice moves.

I agree with Hyra and gorm: There's enough good counters, and plenty of checks.

Edited the nonsense I said before that. Sorry >_>
I agree too. It's already realatively easy to counter this, and the important is: how many things this can counter and not how many can counter this. but we get a problem: much counters mean that its easier to cover the (Insert TOP10-Poke-that-was-supposed-to-be-countered here), and then the metagame can remain centralized (zapdos and celebi, two of the best counters to this, can be both offensive and defensive, making the a great addition to almost any team)

But how many sure counters do we have? Zapdos as Zarator has proved. This thing will do shit to celebi (unless it cary X-Scissor/U-Turn/Bug Move). CAP6 wont hurt cresselia
( but i havent seen too much cresselias around there, because we got a superpopulation of scizors and TTar)

We got 3 sure counters, and 2 of them are pretty common. Everyone, to descentralize the metagame, will use CAP6. Wont we centralize even more, specially Zapdos, using a descentralizer? And if no one use the descentralizer, the metagame will remain the same.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Suicune walls this to hell and back, Thunderpunch or no. I suppose you can argue a stalemate since Unaware keeps it from using CM to any effect, but Roaring Suicune stops it cold.

Rotom (appliance)
can capitalize on its electric weakness and is immune to fighting attacks. Can also Will-O-Wisp.

Tangrowth
and Exeggutor counter any set without Ice Beam.

Weezing should be able to shut it down with Thunderbolt and Will-O-Wisp

From what I have seen, I'm considering the following pokemon as potential counters:

Zapdos
Celebi
Skarmory
Gyarados
Cresselia
Weezing
Slowbro
Starmie
Suicune
AppRotom
Exeggutor

I wish i could say more here, but I missed out on a lot in this part of CAP and all I can do at is support and agree with the points presented for these pokemon, as most are ones I had in mind. Overall they seem to be viable as counters or checks.

@pombo: predicting the overall metagame effects of any cap is largely impossible as there are really just too many complex functions at work. predicting the primary counters (what will check this) is easy, let's just concern ourselves with that

I'd be against giving this too much priority. mach punch and aqua jet are reasonably broken together for sure and max hp/attack lifeorb/2 priorities whatever to hurt celebi/starmie sets will probably dominate.

we should choose one (probably mach punch since it hurts the top 2) and allow stuff like speedy zapdos to
have a chance against this guy

so far i am:
for ice punch
for thunderpunch
for CC
for mach punch

against aqua jet
against fire punch
against stone edge
against U-turn
against x-scissor

undecided on Rock Slide
undecided on zen headbutt
undecided on force palm

I'd be against giving this too much priority. mach punch and aqua jet are reasonably broken together for sure and max hp/attack lifeorb/2 priorities whatever to hurt celebi/starmie sets will probably dominate.
I'm not sure I follow you there. Despite having stab on both of them, Mach Punch and Aqua Jet are too weak to do any real harm except towards the super frail. Most if not all of it's checks and counter are sturdy as all hell so I don't see how broken having both in one set seem. If they're an good example on how having both would cause brokeness I would like to see it.

so far i am:
for Ice Punch
for Thunder Punch
for CC (Cross Chop or Close Combat?)
for Mach Punch
In total agreement with you. Not sure else I can ask to this.

against fire punch
against stone edge
against U-turn
against x-scissor
Same here though I'm indifference with Aqua Jet. Double priority sounds like fun and just not seeing the harm in having Mach Punch&Aqua Jet combo. I assume Fire Punch/any fire move not named HP Fire are there because of the risk of endangering Meta/Jirchai/Zong's job as potent checks?

i guess im just worried stuff will be harder pressed to stop it, mostly zapdos i guess. i dont actually have a good reason to be against it it just seems pretty potent as a cleaner.

i agree with gorm and g_t, but i don't have any problem with stone edge...and i wouldnt care about fire punch either. donno...i don't see this guy being really threatening, he's basically a swampert that can only go physical and has more weaknesses and a slightly better stab.

i don't see the relevance to swampert. i like the idea of thunderpunch or ice punch since they beat gyara/mence but not zapdos, but stone edge beats all of them

CAP6
Type: Water / Fight
Ability: Unaware
Stats: 105 HP / 110 Atk / 95 Def / 70 SpA / 100 SpD / 75 Spe
Weak: Electric, Grass, Psychic, Flying
Resist: Water, Fire, Ice, Bug, Rock, Dark, Steel

Swampert
Type: Water/Ground
Ability: Torrent
Stats: 100 HP/110 Atk / 90 Def / 80 SpA / 90 SpD / 60 Spe
Weak: Grass
Resist: Fire, Poison, Rock, Steel
Immune: Electric

thats your relevance to swampert. CAP 6 is swampert with more weaknesses but way more relevant resistances and better stats in every single corner except special attack and attack (and attack is the same). and swampert, while an awesome poke, is nowhere near over centralizing. assuming this gets the standard water type movepool (including almost everything of value 'pert learns except stealth rock) i think this is going to be an awesome anti-meta poke.

Gorm what's wrong with this 'beating Zapdos'? Apart from that fact that Stone Edge won't simply allow it to beat Zapdos, this has plenty of counters that are not in the top 5.
Even if SE did over 50% to Zapdos, as long as it is faster it can Pressure stall CAP6 out of PP.

Zapdos is in the top 5 so surely there's no reason to protect him by limiting CAP6's movepool.

That's right. Zapdos is faster and loses the Flying type when roosting, so it will actually gain health back each round of Roost->Stone Edge, and between SE's accuracy and Pressure, CAP6 has nothing to do to Zapdos with it. The best CAP6 can hope for is a crit on the switch, only to switch out afterwards.

Yeah, but I'm against Ice Punch because I want Celebi to completely wall this poke.:pirate:
I can guess you are afraid of the: "It's super effective" words popping in your log, but Ice Punch 3HKOes Celebi, so CAP6 will still be walled by Celebi. It has been said before, and we all would be glad if, before posting, you could spend a bit of time reading the reasoning posted before yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)