CAP 6 CAP 6 - Part 5 - Ability Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

beej

everybody walk the dinosaur
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I really like Unaware, it's easily my favorite ability for this Pokemon because some of the biggest threats that hyra wanted to counter with this Pokemon are stat-uppers. The ability is very powerful in that it can completely ignore the boosts of these ordinarily powerful sweepers. Salamence might as well have never used Dragon Dance, Syclant's Tail Glows are ignored, Revenankh is completely non-threatening, etc.

Edit: To the poster below, I don't think as many people would've voted for this concept if it was "a Scizor/Zapdos/Heatran counter". It's undeniable that many of the Pokemon that centralize the game are stat-uppers, and Unaware helps this Pokemon decentralize.

I really like Unaware, it's easily my favorite ability for this Pokemon because some of the biggest threats that hyra wanted to counter with this Pokemon are stat-uppers. The ability is very powerful in that it can completely ignore the boosts of these ordinarily powerful sweepers. Salamence might as well have never used Dragon Dance, Syclant's Tail Glows are ignored, Revenankh is completely non-threatening, etc.
i thought only heatran, scizor and zapados were mentioned? out of those only 1 is a consistant stat-upper

im expecting some flaming from this next recommendation, but its something ive been playig with in my head since water was announced as its main type: stall. stall could give it access to boosted avalanche, revenge and payback, not to mention making it great for a counter-er. plus it plays well with the idea of somewhat defensive which is how many of us have voted.
Stall Metal Blast would actually be pretty interesting.

I would fully support Unaware as an ability for reasons previously stated. Seems perfect from what I can tell, but I will still look into other abilities. Volt Absorb/Electric Immune ability doesn't strike me as anything particularly useful overall, just getting rid of a not very common weakness.

Stall Metal Blast would actually be pretty interesting.
wow, completely not the reaction i was expecting. i always thought that stall could be used by a defensive or somewhat defensive type well, if it was only allowed to. im just glad that someone else doesnt find this idea useless.

Proposing No Guard and Limber.
Reason for No guard would be interesting with Dynamic Punch and Hydro pump to make sure Gems gets put down.
Limber to hold off the para pests such as Blissey and some possible stop Jirachi's thunder Bolts from para it as well.

EDITED:
Supporting Natural Cure and Special intimidate.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Back on Syclant, we hotly debated the appropriateness of nullifying a type weakness via an ability. IIRC, Weezing is the only pokemon whose ability turns a natural type weakness into an immunity. Of course, on Syclant, we were taking a 4x weakness to Rock and conveying partial immunity. That decision has been controversial, to say the very least.

While Volt Absorb would certainly allow this to handle Zapdos, I really don't want to start "Mountaineer Controversy: Part II". I think we should simply accept the fact that we won't be checking Zapdos very often. At best, we might give this Ice Shard or something and hope to get a switch in on Heat Wave or HP Ice. For a pokemon weak to both of Zappy's STABs (and don't be surprised if HP Flying Zappy becomes more common on the CAP server), I don't think we can ask for much more than that.

I think we should discuss Marvel Scale more. As some bulk, with Marvel Scale we can add more to special defense and make it more solid.

Pure Power is a terrible decision for an ability. Azumaril only got it because it was incredibly bad in GSC. Look at the base stats of both pokemon that get it. They are TERRIBLE. We can do so much better than pure power. If you want this to have high attack, make that a priority in the stat polls, the way every other pokemon gets high attack.

It's basically using a loophole to get CAP6 an extra 100 basestat total. It is not meant to be an overpowering sweeper. It counters the top threats. Abilities like Unaware and status removing/preventing abilities (limber, natural cure) fit the pokemon much better. They allow it to switch into common threats more easily, like it was intended.

I like Unaware for the above mentioned reasons. In addition, it would allow us to test an ability that so far has little potential on what gets it; isn't that kind of experimentation one of the goals of CAP? By the way, Unaware is implemented on Shoddy right?
Unaware: the ultimate pseudo-hazer? With just that one ability it dulls the offensive potential of many of the top 10's best sets.

I like Stall a lot for a similar reason, but the most competitive move to use with Stall is Metal Burst, which would mean that we basically give it to CAP6. Outside of that, Payback might be decent.

We have Machamp for No Guard, so CAP 6 might supercede it if it is given to it. No need for Hydro Pump when we can just use Mach Punch or something physical.
No Pure Power, because that's basically taken care off in the stat poll.

On the problem of Zapdos countering, maybe Color Change over Volt Absorb? Don't know if it would work on a dual-typed pokemon though.

I like Unaware for the above mentioned reasons. In addition, it would allow us to test an ability that so far has little potential on what gets it; isn't that kind of experimentation one of the goals of CAP? By the way, Unaware is implemented on Shoddy right?
Unaware: the ultimate pseudo-hazer? With just that one ability it dulls the offensive potential of many of the top 10's best sets.
unaware actually works a little better in shoddy than it should, nullifying things it shouldn't (ie, speed boost).

I like Stall a lot for a similar reason, but the most competitive move to use with Stall is Metal Burst, which would mean that we basically give it to CAP6. Outside of that, Payback/Revenge might be decent.
also avalanche, counter and possibly mirror coat. stall can go offensive tanking or the way of the wobbuffet(if it goes this route, for the love of god let it not have encore).

Unaware, Intimidate or a special version of Intimidate are ones that I would rather see.

Marvel Scale could work but it just doesn't seem to work for CAP6. Might but I don't think it would.

Back on Syclant, we hotly debated the appropriateness of nullifying a type weakness via an ability. IIRC, Weezing is the only pokemon whose ability turns a natural type weakness into an immunity. Of course, on Syclant, we were taking a 4x weakness to Rock and conveying partial immunity. That decision has been controversial, to say the very least.

While Volt Absorb would certainly allow this to handle Zapdos, I really don't want to start "Mountaineer Controversy: Part II". I think we should simply accept the fact that we won't be checking Zapdos very often. At best, we might give this Ice Shard or something and hope to get a switch in on Heat Wave or HP Ice. For a pokemon weak to both of Zappy's STABs (and don't be surprised if HP Flying Zappy becomes more common on the CAP server), I don't think we can ask for much more than that.
Bronzong levitate as well, and solrock and lunatone. All that.
But i support Unaware and Limber

Unaware, Intimidate or a special version of Intimidate are ones that I would rather see.

Marvel Scale could work but it just doesn't seem to work for CAP6. Might but I don't think it would.
Why not? Increased defense with status? With proper prediction it would make it bulkier, and we could put more into special defense to stop Zapdos. A Resstalk variant would be interesting also.

Well, Encore was broken because of the trapping.

Also, Counter has a priority modifier already, so Stall would be unneeded.
i personally think that encore isn't broken just because of trapping. it comes pre-broken because of its effects on play. it can take away guess work making life easier or it can be one of the best force switches in the game.

also, don't revenge and avalanche also have negative priority modifiers?

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
For the record, here is an ability list: http://www.smogon.com/dp/abilities/.

I think Volt Absorb is pushing it, really. Maybe an ability that halves Electric damage would be less controversial. Like an Electric version of Heatproof. Shockproof?

I'd also consider Filter, on the same vein.

i personally think that encore isn't broken just because of trapping. it comes re-broken because of its effects on play. it can take away guess work making life easier or it can be one of the best force switches in the game.

also, don't revenge and avalanche also have negative priority modifiers?
Well, we also have Yawn and Roar for pseudohazing. Also, plenty of things get Encore and aren't banned, so the move itself is not objectionable.

And the negative priority modifier thing is basically why the main reason for Stall is Metal Burst.

I see no problems with Shockproof or Filter. If people object because of flavor etc. just say it's covered in mud.

Wouldn't a Water version of Solid Rock be better than Filter. A decease in damage by 1/3 seem better than 1/4 unless I'm mistaken on how those abilities work.

Avalanche, Revenge, and importantly, Metal burst, don't have modifiers (the users of the last are both incredibly slow). For a Water/Fighting Unaware (which I support), I'd personally have a bar room brawler/Drunken fist style pokemon (do we need to avoid alcohol? We aren't nintendo), maybe one with something over its eyes. Maybe a 'drunken' platypus? Everyone knows us Australians drink lots of beer :p

Special-typed intimidate would be wonderful seeing as how most zappies spec defensive anyway. This would lower their SpAttk to (hopefully) survivable levels.

Unaware sounds great too :)

unaware seems like the most beneficial. unaware stops ddtar, cm stratagem and bu revenankh, allowing us to focus on offense to take down zapdos/blissey.

as for the other trait, i'd say guts, hydration, limber, quick feet or no guard are the most interesting

Avalanche, Revenge, and importantly, Metal burst, don't have modifiers (the users of the last are both incredibly slow).
i just checked on the strategy dex, and it says both avalanche and revenge have -3 priority and serebii listed them both as -4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)