CAP 5 CAP 5 - Sprite Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
People should only post here if they are submitting something or are critiquing something, be it positive or negative. This is so the thread doesn't become clogged with "zomg niec art!"

Rules

1) Sprites should be inspired by the winning design from the Art Poll. It does not need to be an exact rendition of every detail of the design; "artistic license" is granted to all spriters. However, drastic deviation from the selected art design is discouraged.
2) All sprites (front and back) can have a maximum size of 80x80.
3) All sprites (front and back) must have a complete, unbroken, distinguishable outline. It does not need to be a black outline, but it must be clearly distinguishable from the adjacent interior colors of the sprite. Look at the ingame sprites for examples.
4) Sprites must be in PNG format
5) Use 8-bit truecolor (aka 8-bit RGB) or less. This does NOT mean 256 color mode.
6) Use transparent backgrounds
7) Fusions of other sprites are not allowed. All sprites must be scratch sprites.
8) Do not alter, fuse, recolor or otherwise modify another spriter's submission – unless the original artist explicitly gives permission.

Failure to follow these guidelines will result in the submission being disqualified and the post will be deleted.

Sprite submissions for the sprite poll will be selected by the me, based on preference and feedback in this thread. There is no process for overturning the my decision. If you are not comfortable with this stipulation, then do not make a sprite submission. Do not post any complaints here or in later threads.

Additional Information

There are 8 possible sprites:
Front Normal Male
Front Normal Female
Front Shiny Male
Front Shiny Female
Back Normal Male
Back Normal Female
Back Shiny Male
Back Shiny Female

In most cases, spriters submit a Front Normal sprite first. Once feedback comes in and the poll nears, they make the other sprites.

You do not have to make different Male and Female sprites, but it helps. Since there are only minute differences between most ingame male and female sprites, it’s not very hard to tweak the sprite for a different gender. Some spriters have made noticeable changes between genders, and that’s fine too.

Shinies are just recolors, so that’s not too tough. There’s lots of people that can’t scratch, that are willing to recolor your shiny, if you really don’t want to do it yourself. Just ask in the submission thread and you’ll get plenty of offers to help.

Please look at your transparent sprites against different colored backgrounds, not just white. In Shoddy, the sprite will be displayed on multiple background colors in the Team Builder and in battle.

Break the Mold-Click here to see the full post.
latinoheat said:
Name: Break the Mold

Description:
An OU viable pokemon that goes completely against the stereotypes of its typing.
Type: Rock

Offensive/Defensive Bias: Offensive 20-40
Physical/Special Bias: Special -20 and lower
Base Stat Rating: Very Good
Base Stats:90/60/65/120/70/130 Speed Last

Art By yourDeadGrandad

More Poses:

OK, kicking this off with a bang. Here's progress on my sprite thus far:

Outline of original:

Shaded version:

However, tennisace pointed out to me that my sprite is facing the wrong way. The next update will resolve this issue.

EDIT- Other things I'd like comments on is:
a) The color brown I'm using. Too light? Dark? Saturated?
b) The gray. Is it too metallic?
c) The pose. Besides the facing the wrong way, anything odd about it that I missed?
and d) The size. I'd gotten comments it was too small. Opinions needed.

a) I think the brown is fine. It could possibly be just a tad darker, but I like it.
b) The gray on the other hand, does look a bit metallic. I'm not entirely sure if it's the color, or if it could be solved by making it less smooth, but it looks a little too 'Steel' I think.
c) Aside from copying the exact pose from the art, it looks fine.
d) I actually like the size. It does not feel like a particularly large Pokemon to me. One of my peeves with the previous CaP was that they nearly always seemed to be 80 pixels or just under in one dimension. Just because there are limits doesn't mean it has to go right up to the line.

The shading and such, I don't think I can be of much help though, but it does seem that there is a lot of black in the outline. Perhaps brighten that up a bit?

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I thought it would be nice for spriters to see the other poses that yDG made:

(Just the last one, they were attached)

And some attacking shots:
Overheat

AncientPower

Head Smash

The three attached shots look like an evo line.

My advice to the spriters is to try to put the limbs in different positions. Plenty of Pokemon have scythes, just look at their angling and go.

I had just made my first sprite for 3 hours and i saved it as a .jpg =[..
ill try again, though.
Suprisingly, it looked frickin' amazing.
I'll post the jpg version, but i would much rather redo the whole thing than try to remove the .JPG artifacts.

Uhh, flipped the sprite and fixed the shading (among other things). Newest update:

As for the size thing... I don't think he's overly small. Using the picture of him Head Smashing Blissey, the ratio is fairly even.

Granted mine is a bit smaller, but it's still pretty even. I may make it a bit bigger eventually though.

That's the jpg version.
I'm going to be remaking it soon, because artifacting is just too difficult from what i read.
This is my first sprite, let alone a scratch.
what i did to make this is i took his picture, sized it down, made all of the outlines one solid color, then i colored him in all the way though, then i shaded, then i did "selective outlining" or whatever it is called.
how do you guys like it? it looked much better before i saved it in .JPG =[.
EM, you need deeper shading because you're working with rocks.

That's really cool, EM. I was concerned the sprites would have a lot of empty space as the hooks seem pretty far removed from the torso, but you filled it in very nicely with those stray floating rocks.

And the size looks just fine, I think, making him much bigger would take away from the speedy and frail aspect of this Pokemon.

Shaded version:

However, tennisace pointed out to me that my sprite is facing the wrong way. The next update will resolve this issue.

EDIT- Other things I'd like comments on is:
a) The color brown I'm using. Too light? Dark? Saturated?
b) The gray. Is it too metallic?
c) The pose. Besides the facing the wrong way, anything odd about it that I missed?
and d) The size. I'd gotten comments it was too small. Opinions needed.
I like it. There are two things that caught my eye, though. Although you have the right to keep them this way, the two top scythes appear to be shorter than they are in the artwork. Secondly, the top line of the back of its head is not smooth. It possesses two pixels connecting to two pixels connecting to seven. I propose you make it two pixels connecting to three pixels connecting to seven in order to smooth it out. If you don't understand what I'm talking about, the only way I could elaborate is by actually editing your sprite. Now, to answer your questions.
a) The color of brown you're using is darker than the artwork's, but it is closer to the rock color used in official sprites. I prefer your color choice.
b) The gray is metallic. Try less blue and less luminosity. In general, the shadows of D/P sprites differ substantially in lum from the base color.
c) I found nothing wrong with the pose.
d) In my opinion, because this Pokémon is supposedly fast and fragile, the description "small" is more fitting than the alternative. When compared to the D/P sprites of small Pokémon, it is typically larger or roughly the same size. i have no problem with it.
On an unrelated note, I like Mr_Goodbar's take on the obsidian appearance for its shiny palette.

I like it. There are two things that caught my eye, though. Although you have the right to keep them this way, the two top scythes appear to be shorter than they are in the artwork. Secondly, the top line of the back of its head is not smooth. It possesses two pixels connecting to two pixels connecting to seven. I propose you make it two pixels connecting to three pixels connecting to seven in order to smooth it out. If you don't understand what I'm talking about, the only way I could elaborate is by actually editing your sprite. Now, to answer your questions.
a) The color of brown you're using is darker than the artwork's, but it is closer to the rock color used in official sprites. I prefer your color choice.
b) The gray is metallic. Try less blue and less luminosity. In general, the shadows of D/P sprites differ substantially in lum from the base color.
c) I found nothing wrong with the pose.
d) In my opinion, because this Pokémon is supposedly fast and fragile, the description "small" is more fitting than the alternative. When compared to the D/P sprites of small Pokémon, it is typically larger or roughly the same size. i have no problem with it.
On an unrelated note, I like Mr_Goodbar's take on the obsidian appearance for its shiny palette.
Thank you. I didn't really catch the 7-2-2 pixel thing in the back of the head before. You meant change it to two, three, six, right? I'm glad you caught that. I also changed the gray to a less metallic tone and tried to make it more earthy colored. And I made the shadows less luminous. I'm a bit afraid I went overboard though... the gray might be too greenish.

Any chance you could comment on the flipped version, which is what I made the edits to?

Heres the edit:

EDIT- Also changed the eyes a bit, because PapaCAP got me thinking... though I didn't darken them. Was difficult to upload for some reason...

Very nice. Although green is more evident, I don't believe it is too "greenish". This sprite certainly sets a high standard.

Aah, finally an art poll I can take part in!
I am halfway through spriting it, and then I will make some minor tweaks. Make it my own.

When does the submission stage close?

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Aah, finally an art poll I can take part in!
I am halfway through spriting it, and then I will make some minor tweaks. Make it my own.

When does the submission stage close?
2 or 3 weeks, theres a lot to do before then.

Beej suggested I make the head bigger that made it look retarded, so I moved the head down a bit, looks a bit
better now, I still like the first one more :S

@Tennisace: So what if it's not 80x80, neither is porygon-z and quite a few others :S

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)