CAP 5 CAP 5 - Part 9 (Ability Poll 2)

What should the Primary Ability be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
All the special moves that have 60 - 50 in power. Not much of a selection to choice from in my opinion. I don't like using flavor to discuss why shouldn't a Pokemon get a move or anything but....you do believe he could learn any of these moves without looking weird and/or fanboyish?

Code:
AncientPower - 60    
Chatter - 60     
DragonBreath - 60     
Giga Drain - 60     
Magical Leaf - 60  
Ominous Wind - 60
Shock Wave - 60 
Silver Wind - 60  
Water Pulse - 60
Air Cutter - 55
Icy Wind - 55
Mud Shot - 55 
Charge Beam - 50    
Confusion - 50     
Uproar - 50     
Weather Ball - 50
I would like to add that we could make a 40 BP stab priority move? 40 x Tech x STAB = 90 BP. There...your main stab move for you.

Legacy Raider

sharpening his claws, slowly
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Then, give it other moves that make it not need Hidden Power that much. Shockwave, Icy Wind, lol Dragonbreath, Acid, Explosion...

Either that or we create a 60 BP Rock move with no "broken" effect. What would it have? Never-miss? 10% of flinch? NOTHING?

Well, not the place to discuss it.

EDIT: ...Or the 90 BP Rock move. But Technician would boost other moves, like the ones I mentioned.
I did some +1 SpA damage calcs (a couple posts back), and there is no way this thing is taking down a dedicated Special Wall. It just doesn't have the Stat Boosting capabilities since I can't imagine it getting Nasty Plot or Tail Glow.

Although I am warming up to the idea of using another base 60 Rock move over Ancientpower if people are that bothered about it. That still lets it have the versatility with its Hidden Powers, which is the reason I'd love Technician on this so much.

<

All the special moves that have 60 - 50 in power. Not much of a selection to choice from in my opinion. I don't like using flavor to discuss why shouldn't a Pokemon get a move or anything but....you do believe he could learn any of these moves without looking weird and/or fanboyish?

Code:
[B]AncientPower - 60    [/B]
Chatter - 60     
DragonBreath - 60     
[B]Giga Drain - 60 (Uses it like Gengar)[/B]     
Magical Leaf - 60  
[B]Ominous Wind - 60 (It uses magnetic forces etc. to make wind)[/B]
[B]Shock Wave - 60 [/B]
Silver Wind - 60  
Water Pulse - 60
Air Cutter - 55
[B]Icy Wind - 55[/B]
Mud Shot - 55 
[B]Charge Beam - 50    [/B]
[B]Confusion - 50     [/B]
Uproar - 50     
Weather Ball - 50
I would like to add that we could make a 40 BP stab priority move? 40 x Tech x STAB = 90 BP. There...your main stab move for you.
It could easily get the bolded moves, many of them by TM/Tutor. Also Vaccuum Wave is nice.

EDIT: Why not give it the chance for an Ancient Power boost? It's less haxy then Stone Edge, a move seen on many other pokemon with a 40% chance of doing something unpredictable. CAP 5 as the power-exploiting mold breaker pokemon would be interesting...and if it evokes hatred it can be modified a la Syclant.

I have a question about this list. Will we be using this same list to possibly choose a second ability?
No...I'm only using it to show off the options of move this Pokemon could use if Technician wins. I truly prefer to have moves like Discharge, Power Gem, and Shadow Ball within it's main movepool instend of forcing it to be some Technician needing fool.

Voted for Levitate, but I fully expect this to end up with both it and Technician, which I'd be perfectly fine with.

Re: Technician options, I think some people are focusing too much on the novelty of some of these instead of their practicality. 90 power doesn't save Dragonbreath from being pointless, especially on something that hits Salamence harder with its STAB move anyways; 30% paralysis is not worth using over a better type coverage move. There is no point to picking a 90 power Shockwave over Thunderbolt unless we inexplicibly decide to eliminate the DT ban on CAP server, ditto for something like 90 power Water Pulse vs Surf. The only point of this sort of type coverage is if a Pokemon got screwed on movepool previously like Persian, and since we're controlling the movepool from scratch this should not be an issue.

The use of Technician comes from boosting moves with unique effects you can't get from stronger moves like Icy Wind/Mud Shot (cool options I forgot about previously) or Vacuum Wave. And strengthening STAB, but that shouldn't be necessary with the new move.

Re: Ancientpower, this feels like a good enough reason to break precedence and not give it AP like usual for Rocks, if Technician wins. Just use the new move for STAB and Technician for stuff like Icy Wind.

I would like to come out and say that Technician is a terrible choice. Not because of what it does on its own, but because by selecting it we're basically cementing in place that Ancientpower will be this Pokemon's primary attack (if we made an alternate base 60 special rock attack and used that instead of Ancientpower, I would gladly support it, but that doesn't seem to be the way people have been thinking), and Ancientpower's 10% chance of boosting every stat is going to raise all sorts of hell in the form of people complaining about hax. Can you imagine what it would be like if Heatran had a 10% chance of raising all stats one stage every time it used Fire Blast? Or Gyarados having that same chance every time it uses Waterfall? Obviously, 10% is a small chance, but it WILL happen at times, and when it does, the person using CaP 5 suddenly gets a huge advantage, one that could easily cost the opponent the game. You don't see Ancientpower or Ominous Wind used in competitive play much because there are very few Pokemon that don't have some better move to use in the same spot, so there's nothing that really shows people how devastating that 10% chance could be, but it's better to be safe than sorry here.

Therefore, I'm imploring all those who want to keep the influence of luck out of competitive play as much as possible to vote for Levitate. At current, it's the one with the best chance of winning over Technician, and it turns CaP 5 into an excellent Heatran check. Breaking the Mold is cool, but it doesn't need to be the basis for every decision we make regarding this Pokemon, and it certainly shouldn't override common sense.
And just think that you're using it possibly up to 8 times, it's not going to be nonexistant, in fact you'll probably have roughly a 30-40% per game, which is pretty decent. Not to mention you'll have every special attacking move in the game plus probably more because you'll abuse the hell out of technician by giving it every useful move. I'd like room for options that aren't absolutely offensive without making this thing broken...
EDIT: Voting levitate as my favorite choice doesn't have a chance...damn technician =/

Code:
[B]AncientPower - 60[/B]    
Chatter - 60     
DragonBreath - 60     
[B]Giga Drain - 60[/B]     
Magical Leaf - 60  
Ominous Wind - 60
[B]Shock Wave - 60[/B] 
Silver Wind - 60  
[B]Water Pulse - 60[/B]
[B]Air Cutter - 55[/B]
[B]Icy Wind - 55[/B]
[B]Mud Shot - 55[/B] 
[B]Charge Beam - 50[/B]    
Confusion - 50     
Uproar - 50     
[B]Weather Ball - 50[/B]
I could see it using the bolded moves in your posts without looking too fanboyish. Although, I'm still agaisnt technition because of ancient power hax.

Edit: Beaten

You totally cannot say that.
Can too. Oh look, I already did. I considered Intimidate to have more support because of all the people highlighting it and saying "yeah this fits, its pretty good." I appreciate the effort put into those posts, but chill out man. I made a decision. I'm sorry you don't LIKE the decision. But it was completely within my rights to make the decision.
It's coo'. It's a difference of opinion that doesn't matter anymore and I'm all for moving on. :)

Voted Technician. We'll see what happens in the second poll if Technician wins, but in any case, I support Aftermath over Levitate.

Now, I know this'll just look like I'm jumping the bandwagon, but I chose Technician. I think it'd be fun to be able to use the 'lesser' moves like Dragonbreath and Shock Wave and Water Pulse and all that jazz, instead of the standard Dragon Pulse, Thunderbolt, etc etc etc, even if we probably will end up using lots of those anyway.

I chose aftermath for 2 reasons. One, only 2 pokes get it and neither of them are OU/use it at all. Second, as a sweeper, it could be devastating to leave a mark on the opposing side without any set up just for going down. Like, a weaker free explosion. Think, I got blissey down to 10% and I have nothing left that outspeeds it so it will stall me to death but aftermath saves the day and KOs it. It would be sweet.

Coming in to revenge kill me? You better have enough health or you're going down too.

bojangles

IF YOU TRULY BELIEVE,
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Voting Technician. Even though Ancientpower does have a 10% chance of stat boosts, Ice Beam also has a 10% chance of Freezing, which could also open a sweep, yet we don't not use Ice Beam because of that. Also, whether we make a new move or not, Rock still has crappy special STAB, and one new move isn't going to change that.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
If anything, Dragonbreath and Water Pulse would actually be better options for it instead of Dragon Pulse and Surf, just because of the added effect. Shockwave is pretty much useless, but Charge Beam would really be interesting... Maybe it could be its only form of boosting the Sp. Attack (besides a possible Ancientpower)?

People already complain about Syclant's (current) speed tier. Do you really want people another reason to complain about hax? What about Metagross' Meteor Mash boost. Or Garchomp's Sand Veil. Everyone likes those! ..right?

Voting Technician will only exacerbate these problems.

Making this thing not have AncientPower is not a viable option, either. CaP's goal is to create competitively viable Pokémon. Resorting to Hidden Power to do damage is not how to achieve that. A 40 BP priority move on a Pokémon with such a gigantic speed score is not how to achieve that either.

Make the smart choice and vote Levitate.

Ancientpower's stat boost is significantly more likely to pave the way for a sweep then Ice Beam's freeze.

Consider also that if you KO a Pokemon with Ice Beam, the 10% chance of freeze becomes useless. If you KO a Pokemon with Ancientpower instead, that 10% boost can still kick in and be extremely scary.

Levitate

I'm personally disappointed at the lack of foresight I've been seeing in some of these votes, especially in voting for Technician. As Fishin and darkie explained much better than I, Technician not only has little flavor appeal for this Pokemon but also more or less makes Ancientpower its go-to move, which just screams hax. I'd really rather not make a luck-based Pokemon and go with a boring, but flavor-fitting and useful ability such as Levitate.

I think the argument is that it is a good attacking type, but its only one attack with STAB, as opposed to two.

Anyways I voted for Aftermath because it made sense, added versatility, and breaks the mold.

To me, Limber and Levitate make the most thematic sense. He's clearly levitating, and doesn't have any muscles or anything of the sort to paralyze. Just me.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Levitate

I'm personally disappointed at the lack of foresight I've been seeing in some of these votes, especially in voting for Technician. As Fishin and darkie explained much better than I, Technician not only has little flavor appeal for this Pokemon but also more or less makes Ancientpower its go-to move, which just screams hax. I'd really rather not make a luck-based Pokemon and go with a boring, but flavor-fitting and useful ability such as Levitate.
Levitate doesn't fit this at all. Why would a creature so inherently fragile spend all its time free floating in midair? Any intelligent creature would instead use its diminutive size and natural camoflague for ambush attacks from underground. Certainly it could float, but it isn't like Weezing or Solrock which spends all of its time in midair.

I;m going with Technician. Dusknoir easily stalls this out of AP PP, and Blissey laughs in its face.

Levitate. And all of you are saying that the only min special move it gets is Ancientpower. What about Earth Power, or maybe one of the Pulses?

To me, Limber and Levitate make the most thematic sense. He's clearly levitating, and doesn't have any muscles or anything of the sort to paralyze. Just me.
Magnemite, Voltorb, and Glalie don't have muscles either. They are now asking why they have been so abandoned.

Levitate. And all of you are saying that the only min special move it gets is Ancientpower. What about Earth Power, or maybe one of the Pulses?
Ancientpower for STAB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)