CAP 5 CAP 5 - Part 13a (Name Discussion)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fusilite (or fusillite) (few-sil-Ite)

Fusillade (a discharge from many firearms at once)
--ite (a common and appropriate sounding suffix for stone)

Not to be rud, but I dislike stratagem, it sounds to cheesy and Artificial

Id have to submit FRAGMENTO(fragment with an o)
and
STONEFRAG (stone and fragment). I used fragment because it looks made of fragments.
Note Im on my psp so I cant bold.

vesicalith
took the latin "blade" vesica (thanks headpunch) and the greek for rock "lithos" (thanks metalgarx)

Borudaken since pokemon originated in japan, i decided to add so japanese. this is a combination of the japnese words for Boulder and blade "Boruda" and "ken"

i had another one..but only two allowed..drat.
comments anybody? i thought long and hard for these. i even researched latin and japanese words -_-

I'm somewhat suprised no one has yet tried to make a name with the word "erosion" in it. It's one of the first things that came to mind when I saw rockmon.
I'll try to think up something...

Not to be rud, but I dislike stratagem, it sounds to cheesy and Artificial

Id have to submit FRAGMENTO(fragment with an o)
and
STONEFRAG (stone and fragment). I used fragment because it looks made of fragments.
Note Im on my psp so I cant bold.
oh the vicious irony.All of those names sound cheesy

I like simple names :D
Fualith
:)
Fua- (faux is french for scythe, I took off the x and switched the u and a)
-lith (is rock obviously :p)

Also, I like it because it kind of sounds like "Flawless"

I like Grapnel

it sounds like gravel, grapple, and shrapnel
all very appropriate words to describe our little fellow there

Legacy Raider

sharpening his claws, slowly
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Shionard

or

Shaard

I really like Shard in the pokemon name, I can't explain why but it seems to suit CAP5 very well. In the first name I amalgamated Ion and Shard, in the second I just elongated Shard.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I'm going to close this tomorrow, at around 3-5 PM EST. Get your submissions in by then.

Huh.

Minerode - Mineral + erode, or possibly geode. I was thinking 'Gabrode' originally, but I think gabbro is a little too obscure.
Bassault - Basalt + assault. I spent all this time trying to think of a clever way to combine the two words, yet somehow missed the most obvious option.
I'm somewhat suprised no one has yet tried to make a name with the word "erosion" in it. It's one of the first things that came to mind when I saw rockmon.
I'll try to think up something...
Erocksion? Actually, there was one on the second page - Erosickle.

I really like 'Minerode'. It's a classic example of a simple but clever portmanteau name that Pokemon is well known for. Easy to pronounce and remember without sounding too menacing or cerebral.

Also a fan of 'Volatite' for the reasons above. I like that it describes features of the Pokemon both physical and abstract.

I read Volation like fellation. It's probably too easy to mispronounce.

The two names

One should be Rubillade.
This name is combining the two main appearance characteristics of "Rockmon", i.e. Ruby, which symbolises rare and valuable rocks, and Blade, which is the nature of angular rock pieces.

Alternitively, the name Glowanite is an option.
This is based on what it actually does. For example, it might use "MIRROR SHOT" or "FLASH CANNON" to protect itself from danger (although it is not steel type), and that is where glow comes in. The last bit signifies granite, which is very sturdy.

I hope you all like my idea, or at least take a look at those two. Thank you.

I really like 'Minerode'. It's a classic example of a simple but clever portmanteau name that Pokemon is well known for. Easy to pronounce and remember without sounding too menacing or cerebral.
Oi, thanks, that's what I was going for. I have a qualm with it, though - I think it sounds too general, like it could apply to any Pokémon of its type. Just two generic rock words spliced together, really. Then again, that seemed to work for Pyroak, so maybe it's not such a bad thing.

While I can still get away with it, I've decided to change my other entry to something a little more fitting; details have been edited into my previous post.

Oi, thanks, that's what I was going for. I have a qualm with it, though - I think it sounds too general, like it could apply to any Pokémon of its type. Just two generic rock words spliced together, really. Then again, that seemed to work for Pyroak, so maybe it's not such a bad thing.
It's not like we'll get a another chance in the future to name a pure Rock-type. Minerode is admittedly generic, but it has a decent flow, and not much is really important otherwise to the voters, so I'd say it has...a small chance.

Although I've always personally felt that Mariguana was a superior name. We're Smogon! Who cares about that small degree of political correctness? It's not as if our mothers are coming here too, right?

My second name entry...

Dorbol.

yes, sounds like Doorbell, but it's simply Boulder with translocated syllables, sorta.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)