CAP 5 CAP 5 - Part 10c (New Move Poll)

What should the new move be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Break the Mold-Click here to see the full post.
latinoheat said:
Name: Break the Mold

Description:
An OU viable pokemon that goes completely against the stereotypes of its typing.
Type: Rock

Offensive/Defensive Bias: Offensive 20-40
Physical/Special Bias: Special -20 and lower
Base Stat Rating: Very Good
Base Stats:90/60/65/120/70/130 Speed Last
Primary Ability: Levitate
Secondary Ability:Technician

Art By yourDeadGrandad

This is the poll for new moves. This is going to be clicky to save me a crapload of trouble, and multiple votes are allowed. Just don't be a dick and vote for every move, k?

Skyshroud said:
Crag Press
Rock
120 BP
100% Accuracy
User takes 1/3 damage done to target. 10% chance of causing target to flinch.
15 pp

Tingaling said:
Name: ____________ (Dust Cloud?)
BP: 95 (like I said, flamethrower clone)
PP: 15
Acc: 100%
Effect: Has a 30% chance of setting up sandstorm
Deck Knight said:
Ancient Beam
BP: 85
Damage: Special
Effect: 20% chance to reduce opponent's attack by 1.
Gothic_Togekiss said:
Name: Brimstone/Coal Blast
BP: 80
Effect: 30% chance of burning the opponent.
Mr.Goodbar said:
Onyx Blast
BP: 120
PP: 8
Acc: 85%
Side Effect: None
Hybrid said:
Vital Impact/Stone Shot
Type: rock
BP: 90
Accuracy: -
BP: 20
Priority: 0
Description: Rock version of Aura Sphere.
Jagged Angel said:
Diamond Cutter/Gem Cannon/Something Else
BP: 80
Accuracy: 100
Priority: 0
Description: 20% chance to lower the foe's Special Defence.
Paradoxymoron said:
Diamond Core
Special
Rock
Power: 80
Accuracy: 100
Effect: 20% chance to burn, confuse, or paralyze.

Rock Tri-Attack?

Minor edit but Brimstone/Coal Blast is a Rock Type move. A Rock type move like all the other moves up there. I hope people actually rock this =/

Vote for Coal Blast, Diamond Core, and Gem Cannon. Each one have a nifty effect on them that appeal to me.

Gothic Togekiss said:
What's better, lowering incoming Physical counter's attack by -1 point or burning said foe and crippling him/her for the entire match? Personally, I'll go with the latter since it does mean a lot in terms of damage.

Sample damage calc:

Burned CBLuke using Bullet Punch on Rockmon: 42.99% - 51.09%
-1 attack CB Luke using Bullet Punch on Rockmon: 56.7% - 67.29%

Burned CBMeta using Bullet Punch on Rockmon: 49.22% - 58.57%
-1 attack CBMeta using Bullet Punch on Rockmon: 65.42% - 77.26%

Burned Life Orb Tech Scizor using BP on Rockmon: 71.65% - 84.74%
-1 attack Life Orb Tech Scizor using BP on Rockmon: 95.33% - 112.77%

Seem burning them is better than just lowering their attack.

I voted for all of them except the first two. The first two didn't appeal to me, while the others all did.

I guess i'm only 75% of a dick.

I gotta say I'm disappointed that 80BP, 30% attack drop didn't make it on. That seemed to be where the discussion was heading, hence the current winner - 85BP, 20% attack drop. I guess it's not That much different.

The first two and Onyx Blast seem Pretty overpowered - especially Dust Cloud.

Let's see...

I voted Ancient Beam, Brimstone, and Diamond Core. In the end, I felt that the Rock Aura Sphere was just too powerful.

I'm not a fan of recoil (Life Orb excluded), and I prefer a move that will hit most of the time.

Alaka

formerly Alakapimp
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
i think setting up sandstorm is a pretty interesting secondary effect and i would love to see it put to in

Aww it seems few people are voting for Crag Press:(
I really wanted to see how the guy would turn out ingame with Crag Press and Giga Drain.

I realize this is a late edition, there fore probably nil and void, but I wanted to throw it out the for at least names consideration.

Quartz Flash/Beam/Cannon (pick one)
BP: 90
Effect: 20% chance to lower the foe's Special Defense.

Not far removed from "Diamond Cutter/Gem Cannon/Something Else", I know. Perhaps this could be the "Something Else".

And a side note: I don't feel this move should be able to induce Burn, unless it operates like "Diamond Core/Tri Attack". It doesn't work flavor wise imo, and it's tot great a side effect for a primary attack move. If you want it to have this ability, give it "Lava Plume" and move on.

Only voted for Ancient Beam so it would have more of an effect, although I also like the Brimstone move.

It doesn't work flavor wise imo
The move name is "Brimstone" for chist sake, how flavorful of a name does one needs to have Burn effect on it?

and it's too great a side effect for a primary attack move.
Except me but I don't understand. Why is having a nice side effect on your stabbed move is bad? What about AP ability to raise every stat by 1.5? That seem big to me.

Come on now, we all can't be this close-minded towards new things and towards our imagination. Is it that hard to image something as easy as really hot rocks burning someone? Does everything have to be as obvious as the sky above us?

I dislike Dust Cloud because it puts this guy in a Tyranitar/Hippowdon situation. It might hurt your team more than it helps. Also, how long does the sandstorm last?

I dislike Crag Press's recoil and the flinch seems unneeded.

I voted for Brimstone Blast since it fits the BP I wanted (80) and has a chance to help out the team/help it's low defense.

TAY

You and I Know
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Brimstone is a great idea, and Dust Cloud is such an amazingly cool concept that I couldn't help but vote for it.

The move name is "Brimstone" for chist sake, how flavorful of a name does one needs to have Burn effect on it?

Except me but I don't understand. Why is having a nice side effect on your stabbed move is bad? What about AP ability to raise every stat by 1.5? That seem big to me.

Come on now, we all can't be this close-minded towards new things and towards our imagination. Is it that hard to image something as easy as really hot rocks burning someone? Does everything have to be as obvious as the sky above us?
I agree that the name "Brimstone" is clever. But I don't agree that a pure ROCKMON should be able to cause burn through any other means other than a fire move or w-o-w. That's the "flavor" argument. Competitively, Burn is a vicious status to inflict. Halves Attack, and drains HP and the victim is STUCK with it for the rest of the match if it does not also carry Rest/Nature Cure or Aromatherapy on the team. And at 30% on the PRIMARY move (meaning used most often), it's going to happen a lot. Too much of a good thing. At least stat drops are remedied simply via switching. Forcing slightly more switches seems like a good but less broken side effect to me.

And before you get on your damn high horse about Ancient Power, I'll have you note that I personally have been against even the inclusion of Ancient Power in it's move pool since the very beginning. I've even made entire "wall" posts about my feelings toward it.

I agree that the name "Brimstone" is clever. But I don't agree that a pure ROCKMON should be able to cause burn through any other means other than a fire move or w-o-w. That's the "flavor" argument. Competitively, Burn is a vicious status to inflict. Halves Attack, and drains HP and the victim is STUCK with it for the rest of the match if it does not also carry Rest/Nature Cure or Aromatherapy on the team. And at 30% on the PRIMARY move (meaning used most often), it's going to happen a lot. Too much of a good thing. At least stat drops are remedied simply via switching. Forcing slightly more switches seems like a good but less broken side effect to me.

And before you get on your damn high horse about Ancient Power, I'll have you note that I personally have been against even the inclusion of Ancient Power in it's move pool since the very beginning. I've even made entire "wall" posts about my feelings toward it.
I agree with you there about ROCKMON be able to cause burn unless its a fire move. But its coming from a rock move....
and also.... No offence... to me personally Anceint beam don't sound like a pokemon attack.

I agree that the name "Brimstone" is clever. But I don't agree that a pure ROCKMON should be able to cause burn through any other means other than a fire move or w-o-w. That's the "flavor" argument.
That's where all the problems are coming from? A simple belief in that a creature of one element type shouldn't be allow to inflict his/her foes with a status effect known for being on another type? That's less of a flavor issue and more of an inability to accept new or abstract concepts. If a rock type can use Flamethrower, Lava Plume, etc...then why can't it use those flames to super heat some rocks and toss them at opponents? A little simple creative thinking and some imagination can solve this problem real quick. We must learn to not be afaird of new concepts and look at certain things from different angles. If you try, maybe you can learn to love it.

Wow... It's been so long.

Anyway, on topic, I picked Brimstone because I want to see something different. A burn effect on a Rock-type move? Sign me up. It'll be interesting, if only because it's one of the only moves out there that cause status effects other than what its own type is used to.

Wow... It's been so long.

Anyway, on topic, I picked Brimstone because I want to see something different. A burn effect on a Rock-type move? Sign me up. It'll be interesting, if only because it's one of the only moves out there that cause status effects other than what its own type is used to.
Just a question, but isn't a move setting up sandstorm AND doing damage different? Just a thought (and and advertisement!) However, as previously stated, I think brimstone is a very good move. 30% burn may seem broken, but it ins necessary if Rockmon wants to survive in a priority based environment. I personally want a higher BP rock move, so the aura sphere clone is a good pick also.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I voted for Ancient Beam, of course, because it was me who first mentioned the idea.

Also voted for Jagged Angel and Paradoxymoron. I don't like a Rock move that induces Burn, sorry. If that move wins, we could do a Flying move that induces Freeze for the next CAP. /sarcasm

If that move wins, we could do a Flying move that induces Freeze for the next CAP.
No problem...all we have to do is modify Icy Wind. Be a piece of cake :P

C'mon, you knew that was coming around the corner. Icy Wind could be easily be interpreted as an Flying move with Freeze effect.

Voting for Hybrid's Vital Impact/Stone Shot.

By the way: Stone Shot is a better name since "Vital" can be mistaken for Vital Throw (fighting).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)