CAP 4 CAP 4 - Topic Leader Nominations

Status
Not open for further replies.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
This is the thread for people to announce their desire to be the Topic Leader for the upcoming CAP 4 creation project. Do not suggest other people. If someone doesn't strongly desire to be a Topic Leader without provocation, then we don't need them signing up for the job. Topic Leader is not an honorary title. It requires a lot of work and attention. If you are not prepared to fulfill all the responsibilities, then do not throw your hat in the ring.

Do not post here that you want to be on the TL Selection Panel. That panel will be selected after we have a slate of candidates. Candidates cannot be part of the panel. See here for more information on the Topic Leader and TL Selection Panel.

This thread is strictly for candidacy posts, and posts supporting those candidates. Please stay on topic.

Here are the guidelines for posting in this thread:

• Do not suggest other people. If you want you encourage someone else to run, then send them a PM.

• If you are new to the CAP project, don't bother signing up to be a Topic Leader. Lurk more.

• Include a summary of your involvement in the CAP project.

• Make a pitch for why you should be selected. If you can't present and defend yourself, then how can you expect to lead a project whose primary function is discussion and debate? Convince us that you are a good choice.

• Poor spelling, punctuation, and grammar are great ways to look like an uneducated idiot. It's not a great way to look like a thoughtful, intelligent, community leader.

• Even if you don't think you are better-qualified than certain other candidates, you still should consider posting a candidacy. Candidates not selected as the TL for this project, will be on the "watch list" by the community for next time. Don't post your name if you don't intend to be active in the project, even if you are not selected. Like I said, if you post here, people will be scrutinizing your involvement more closely in the future.

• Feel free to post support for any candidates already named.

• Please do not post disparaging remarks about any candidates.

If these rules are not followed by all posters, the offenders will be moderated

Hello.

My name is darkie, and I would like to throw in my name as a nominee for the topic leader of the fourth CAP project. I have been involved with CAP ever since the first thread. I remember Cooper's very first thread asking if people would be interesting in creating the soon-to-be Syclant. I have voted in every single CAP thread since then, and have been very actively involved in discussions. Me being involved in CAP is not only a personal opinion; even Cooper, the creator of the entire CAP concept, recommended myself on the judging committee to pick the topic leader of the third CAP project.

Even with school, I have been an active contributor to Smogon, as seen by the badge under my user name to the left. (I have rewritten and edited quite a few of the D/P Pokemon articles many of you reference, as well some older ones.) Now, with the advent of summer, I have much, much more time on my hands; accordingly, I am able to focus my attention to the CAP project.

I feel that I am a viable candidate due to the knowledge I have of the competitive metagame (I have been in the Top 100 of Shoddy Battle's leaderboard), the English language (so I can effectively communicate my ideas to the countless users involved in the project), and my activeness in the project ever since its roots.

If you support me, thank you. If not, I hope you can reconsider. Either way, I thank you for reading my bid to become topic leader of the fourth CAP project.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm assuming then that our panel is not static, and thus I am eligible for TL.

I'm pretty sure my reputation preceeds myself, so I'll spare the introductions.

I've been around since Syclant contributing to each pokemon as they come along, and have the distinct pleasure of having two of my names selected, heh. I've tried to contribute to, focus, and develop evrerything from type to stats to movepool.

I haven't participated in many tournaments but I have a good working knowledge of the metagame and the strengths and weaknesses of most pokemon, even though I need to work on my teambuilding skills.

I also speak and write English, btw.

*hat + toss*

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Concidering that the pressure is now off me in school I would like to throw my hat into the rink;

For those who don't know me, or maybe haven't been around CaP as long as some, I'd like to introduce myself as Sunday. I've been involved in CaP from the begining, with the creation of Syclant, right through to the recent weather testing and without a doubt long into the future. I'm a member of the Blue Team on Doug's Server, and have written (and now fully updated! Gotcha there Eric!) all three analysis for the CaP Pokemon. If you need to see the quality of my English, which I pride myself on, there would be a good place to start. It is also a good example of my knowledge of the metagame, and it's saying something that I now feel more comfortable in the CaP metagame than any other!

When you're with me on the server you'll know that above all my sence of fun and freedom shines through, while never getting in the way when a more serious tone needs to be taken. I have a good sense of "direction" when it comes to guiding discussions in the right direction and keeping them on topic. I also have no bias towards any idea for the current project.

For these reasons I believe I am the best choice for Topic Leader.

EDIT: On that note, if I do become Topic Leader I will be looking for someone to write the analysis. This arrangement would be (preferably) only for the one CaP project, as I still love writing the analysis but I do not believe it is prudent for me to be doing both. Someone looking to lead the CaP after this would be an ideal choice (wink wink).

Wow...I alway believe they would be more people wanting to be Topic Leader =/. If no one else make a nomination speech then my support goes to Sunday.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Well, since there aren't many people running, I'm going to put my name out there.

For those of you that have been on the server, you can skip this. For those of you that haven't, my name is tennisace0227. I'm a mod over there, and on a couple other servers too. I'm one of the tougher mods on the server, and can control the server in any situation.

I have been with the project since the very beginning, voting on everything and actually posting in the middle of the first project. I also came up with the idea of Air Lock on Revenankh, which shows that I am quite creative and can think out of the box.

I have a good knowledge of the metagame at hand, and many people have asked me to help me with teams or explain the specific rolls and strategies of the created Pokemon.

I am a veteran TO and I am very close to the top of the Mini-Tournament leaderboard, around number 16. This shows that I am quite active on the server.

I live in the US, so of course I can speak English, and I am in all of the Honors English classes.

In conclusion, I hope you will support me for Topic Leader. All of the candidates are very qualified for this position.

EDIT: So because I made this after Sunday you'll support me? Cool.

In the unfortunate case that I'm not elected, Sunday is the next best, in my opinion. (We have the same birthday!)

Sunday

Right back at'cha darkie.

Onto the real reason I posted here, which was to say that I think everyone who's posted here can see that the current concept thread is riddled with bad posts, ignorance of rules, and useless ideas. I should hope that each and every one of you harbours the same burning desire to go mop up that mess as I do, because things like that are the exact reason a Topic Leader is being chosen at all.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm assuming then that our panel is not static, and thus I am eligible for TL.

I'm pretty sure my reputation preceeds myself, so I'll spare the introductions.

I've been around since Syclant contributing to each pokemon as they come along, and have the distinct pleasure of having two of my names selected, heh. I've tried to contribute to, focus, and develop evrerything from type to stats to movepool.

I haven't participated in many tournaments but I have a good working knowledge of the metagame and the strengths and weaknesses of most pokemon, even though I need to work on my teambuilding skills.

I also speak and write English, btw.

*hat + toss*

Actually, I may have to rescind my nomination ( at least until next time), my family is going on vacation from June 29-July 06, and I'm not going to spend the exhorbitant amounts of cash it requires to use the internet on the ship. I suppose theoretically I could purchase one of those time cards, but I wouldn't really be ready to start until evening on July 6th.

Right back at'cha darkie.

Onto the real reason I posted here, which was to say that I think everyone who's posted here can see that the current concept thread is riddled with bad posts, ignorance of rules, and useless ideas. I should hope that each and every one of you harbours the same burning desire to go mop up that mess as I do, because things like that are the exact reason a Topic Leader is being chosen at all.
Oh Sunday, you just nabbed my vote for sure! :-) As long as your avatar isn't a reflection of the way you do things :naughty:

Tennis from what i've seen you'd also make a good TL, you've always conducted yourself well on the CAP server.

It sucks that I'm going to be overseas for the next 2 months and will miss CAP 4, but I'll feel better if it's left in Sunday or Tennis' capable hands.

tennisace

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Thank you for the support! All the candidates are well qualified, but I would support Sunday too.

With only Darkie, Sunday, and Tennisace0227 running for TL, there's isn't much to choice from. On the plus side, it seem like only the well qualified people had suggested themselves for TL status.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
ohhh... 3 good candidates... who to pick....
Question to all of you; What is your policy on picking options for the various polls that there is a element of choice?
A: Pick things that have the most support, even if the support comes from n00bs/new users.
B: Pick things that have support of experienced users, n00bs opinions are not as important.
C: Pick things so the poll has a variety of different choices.

You may pick more than one, or something else entirely. Please explain your choices.

You don't have to answer.

Sorry if this is not allowed.

Are you referring to the polls such as the concept poll or the art poll, where the topic leader would have to eliminate some choices?

If it's not too late here are my and possibly Mystica's reason as to why Tennisace0227 should be the next TL.

He is Always on the server so he knows what people would like/dislike.

He can relax and have a bit of a laugh which doesn't always last that long.

He perfectly understands what is broken/weak and good/crap.

That is all i can think of at the moment for tennisace, since I do not know sunday and darkie that much. compared to tennisace since i haven't seen them on the cap server to speak to them or examine in this sort of way.

tennisace

I believe so.

My answer to your question is a bit complex. Everyone should get a vote in the process. However, as much as I would try not to, in my mind, I regard veteran's post more than people who have just registered and their first post is in the thread. That being said, there are some people who have had amazing first posts, such as a user named Paltheos. He may only have 5 posts, but he makes amazing points. You may remember him from a previous CAP thread. Its people that register and make stupid remarks that I would try to ignore. Something along the lines of "New CAP needs every support move and every attack move it could possibly get, along with Rock Head and all the Recoil moves!" would be ignored. I would consider every vote equal, but some more equal than others, because if I didn't weigh each post in my mind, then from what I've seen, the pokemon would end up quite broken. I'm not discouraging new people from posting, I suggest you read up a bit and try to make an intelligent post.

I'm not sure what answer that is.

Edit: thanks for the support Megalolz!

In that case, really I don't think join date would matter. If the user shows a good understanding of the project and if his/her posts show logic and reason, then obviously I would be compelled to agree with those who show more intelligence, whether they joined a week ago or they were with the project since Syclant.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Ok but what if there are a large number of not very enlightened users (not total n00bs) who wanted one thing, but there was no support at all from the experienced CaP members?

Agreed, but I would still look for logic in the masses rather than raw numbers. (In the 'subjective' polls like Art and Concept.)

woot go tennisace0227. i would throw my hat in except for the fact i dont have enough time on my hands plannin my thread's comeback and all. but like everuyone is saying, as long as they aren;t complete n00bs then we should be fine. oh, and just because im not running for TL doesnt mean im not going to help. :) later guys.

Sunday

Hrm, tough one Eric. To me, the bottom line is that the opinions of well respected members of the project who show obvious knowledge are going to be the ones that will gain support. It doesn't matter how many times a senceless "noob" posts they want a Dragon / Fire with 1000+ Atk, it's never going to catch on. In much the same way people who initially seem to be "Noob" can gain much respect in very little time with well backed up arguments - Alphabet Soup is the perfect example of this, appearing out of nowhere but winning mine and many others respect with his sound knowledge and opinions.

For those reasons I feel that I can be free to allow all 16 types into the type poll, all 23 abilities into the ability poll and so on because the process itself is self-regulating. In a way a vote made be Mekkah counts more than a vote made by Average Jo (I sincerely hope there isn't a user with that name :S ) despite them being worth the same, so I guess that makes my answer swing towards B, despite that fact I'm never going to disregard a good idea due to someones postcount. All ideas will be weighted equally based on their merit.

Did I really just pop up out of nowhere Sunday? I can't remember that far back...>_>

I'm actually not sure who I support yet. I think I may post back here at a later date, but I know all three of the candidates would do a good job. So in a way, I don't think I have to throw support out. I trust all three of them enough to get the project completed with a high-quality result.

And the decision isn't made by a majority or party that I have involvement with anyways, so I don't need to choose. *whew*

besides the fact that there are 17 types, I think Sunday makes a good point. Just look at what Aldaron did to Pyroak, he basically forced all Base Stat Submissions to conform to his belief because he put so much effort behind them. He kinda died after the Art Poll though, which is a little sad and a little of a relief too (less pressure from one person). Once Mekkah fell in line behind Aldaron, it was pretty much assumed they would win.

I know I have spoken against this before, but Sunday is assuming votes are made public and people read the thread. Even on a public clicky poll, it takes extra effort to see who wants what (I know I never looked even though I almost always made them public). But yeah.... that doesn't matter so much.

Anyways, I know I'm going to have a hard time ranking you three. Especially since I won't be here for three weeks and have to trust one of you guys with the task of not screwing this up (which none of you should do). I might just have to coinflip this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)