CAP 4 CAP 4 - Part 9 (Primary Ability Poll)

Which should be our primary Ability?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
This poll will determine the Primary Ability. From the Ability poll we have determined 6 likely contestants (one a lot more likely than the others :S ), and we will now vote for which will become our Pokemon's primary ability. The losing 5 (+ "No Secondary Ability") will then go on to the Secondary Ability Poll 1(of 2).

Pure Utility Pokemon
Description: There is a serious lack of Gravity, Rapid Spin, Wish, non Dark weak Trick Room, OU viable Heal Bell / Aromatherapy, Encore, Memento, Non Dark weak Perish Song, Psycho Shift, Safeguard, Magic Coat, Me First, Snatch, Spikes, Toxic Spikes, Tailwind and Haze Pokemon in our lovely Metagame. I don't know what type, what stat distribution or even what kind of Pokemon would effectively use all those, but I want to build a utility Pokemon for the useful yet less used utility moves. If I had to narrow the field a bit, I would emphasize Tailwind, Gravity, non Dark weak Trick Room, Rapid Spin, Wish and Encore. The normal utility moves like Reflect and Light Screen go without saying.
Primary Typing: Poison
Secondary Typing: Ground
Style Bias: Mixed, Between -5 and -10 -- Slightly towards defence
Build Bias: Between 5 and 10 -- Slightly towards physical
Base Stat Rating: 300 to 419 -- Very Good
Base Stat Spread: 95 / 76 / 109 / 90 / 80 / 105 = 555 Speed Last.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/abilities/

The whole Persistent description would not fit, so here it is:
Persistent - When the Pokemon with this ability uses any of the following moves: Trick Room/Gravity/Tailwind/Heal Block/Safeguard, their duration is increased by 2 turns.

EDIT: Typo'd the title lol should be part 9 >.>

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I wonder how Tangled Feet was not voted for... it's such an obvious ability for this Pokemon! :(

Again, persistent is BROKEN. Those moves have unbuffable durations, and that is because they powerfull. They don't haze away, they don't phaze away, they do there thing, and you can't stop them (other than trick room canceling trick room). 7 turns of a properly built team going first? 7 turns your oppent can't heal? 5 turn speed buff no one can do anything about?

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Again, persistent is BROKEN. Those moves have unbuffable durations, and that is because they powerfull. They don't haze away, they don't phaze away, they do there thing, and you can't stop them (other than trick room canceling trick room). 7 turns of a properly built team going first? 7 turns your oppent can't heal? 5 turn speed buff no one can do anything about?
Technically you lose two using TR and switching out. Heal Block IMO's not such a big deal. If one of those specific moves turns out to be broken chances are it will be removed from this Pokemon's movepool.

GT said:
But this was one of those time where the obvious choices was the right one. It was clear as day who the winner was, yet you decided to do another poll just so you wouldn't get flamed. This decision may be interpreted as a conspiracy against Persistent, but then again I may be interpreting things wrong. It's already too late to stop it nor change your decision so I'll just back down, but I really wanted to express my opinion on this.
If I wanted to conspire against Persistent there would be two options in this poll, not six (lol looks like Persistent will end up with 50%++ anyway). It's sad to say sometimes but experiences change people. At the begining of this process I probably wouldn't have hesitated to declare Persistant the winner and get on with the process, but after learning exactly how subjective "right" and "obvious" can be the hard way I'm going to be much more likely to err on the side of caution, and I hope everyone understands that. 24 hours is a small price to pay for security when a wrong decision means I need to correct everything, PM mods to ask for changes to be made to polls and many more. I'd much rather not have to save face...

I went with Frisk, because Persistent seems really contrived IMO. Also I worry the ability could make for very very broken team combinations that you can't do phooey about. I'd rather a "decent" ability over a "great" ability, anyways.

CyzirVisheen

Am I poplar yet?
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I AM VOTING KLUTZ BECAUSE I WANT TO BE DIFFERENT

But really, Persistant is pretty much guaranteed, imo. And it really is a good ability for DLL.

I'm going to save my vote for the unlikely event that another ability climbs its way up. I just don't want a move that will make a pokemon the obvious best at something.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Persistent is Persistently Pulverising Proponents of Poison Point (also everything else).

Yay for exceedingly long unneccessary polling techniques! I have schooled Sunday well. Eventually you will all get bored with this. Eventually.

/end random evil words

Persistent because its fun and not really broken. The closest thing we created to broken was ShedRest and no one realized that until afterwards. Basically, we won't notice the broken things because we have seen them before but we will notice what we expect to be broken (and isn't).

Eh, I voted for Klutz, if only to avoid the bandwagon. I'm not upset at all about the bandwagon choice being the primary ability, though, as it will do well to help this Pokémon do its job.

Sunday~ Was going to quote your answer to my statement with something, but I find myself a bit for lost for words. Maybe it has to do with the whole avoiding egg on your face sentence since they're been time where I felt like that too. As I already mentioned before, it's far too late to do anything about your decision so I humbly accept it and it's outcome (which BTW looks promising). The only thing that still ticks me off is my stat spread losing and Smog Imp ;-;

-----------------------------

I just want to say that Tangled Feet is ironic since it doesn't have actual feet and it wouldn't be no Klutz either. With eight legs, each having some huge-ass hand, one would think it needs some grace to walk or run.

I voted for Persistent, and then I started thinking, what if this pokemon also got Vital Spirit? With immunity to thunder wave and being poisoned, this could possibly become a serious threat. I mean, Togekiss' Paraflinch will come to an end (for those who aren't going to from change from T wave) and Gengar could probably have a hard time trying to prevent it from setting up Trick room/Heal Block/etc. But that's only 2 pokemon that have to worry about it right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)