CAP 4 CAP 4 - Part 9 (Ability Poll 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Pure Utility Pokemon
Description: There is a serious lack of Gravity, Rapid Spin, Wish, non Dark weak Trick Room, OU viable Heal Bell / Aromatherapy, Encore, Memento, Non Dark weak Perish Song, Psycho Shift, Safeguard, Magic Coat, Me First, Snatch, Spikes, Toxic Spikes, Tailwind and Haze Pokemon in our lovely Metagame. I don't know what type, what stat distribution or even what kind of Pokemon would effectively use all those, but I want to build a utility Pokemon for the useful yet less used utility moves. If I had to narrow the field a bit, I would emphasize Tailwind, Gravity, non Dark weak Trick Room, Rapid Spin, Wish and Encore. The normal utility moves like Reflect and Light Screen go without saying.
Primary Typing: Poison
Secondary Typing: Ground
Style Bias: Mixed, Between -5 and -10 -- Slightly towards defence
Build Bias: Between 5 and 10 -- Slightly towards physical
Base Stat Rating: 300 to 419 -- Very Good
Base Stat Spread: 95 / 76 / 109 / 90 / 80 / 105 = 555 Speed Last.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/abilities/
Here are the submissions.
Forewarn
Frisk
Klutz
Poison Point
Steadfast
Tangled Feet
Unaware
Vital Spirit
Iron Fist - Would mandate elemental punches/some other punching move in the movepool
Persistent - When the Pokemon with this ability uses any of the following moves: Trick Room/Gravity/Tailwind/Heal Block/Safeguard, their duration is increased by 2 turns.

Submission period has ended, as has the period for debating this list. If you have a problem with the proposed moves it should have been said 36 hours ago. Sorry, you've missed the boat! All you can do now is vote for your favourites.
We will be using Bold Voting. You have two votes, your first vote is worth double the second.
- You must use both votes.
- Your votes much be at the top of your post

Example
Sunday said:
Forewarn
Frisk
<reasoning>

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Poison Point and Persistent

Poison Point emphasizes this pokemon's primary typing, and is supported by all the spikes in the design. Not an overpowered ability at all.

Persistent is a nice ability that will accentuate this pokemon's mission as a team player.

Unaware
Vital Spirit

Unaware because it allows this Pokemon to not get ripped apart by something that used stat ups prior to hazing them (assuming this Pokemon gets haze, as per the concept). Vital Spirit because it provides another status immunity for sets not using haze.

Frisk
Tangled Feet

I like the idea of this pokemon having two fairly bad, but situationally useful ability. Frisk and Tangled Feet both don't really have very much application, but they can occaisonally come in handy, which I think is all this pokemon really needs out of its ability.

Persistent
Iron Fist
---------------------
Persistent greatly effects his purpose in life even more by allowing seldom seen strategies to be a tad bit more viable. Persistent by definition fits the effect of this ability like a glove, and I don't see any problems with it.

Iron Fist seem fitting as it has eight huge-ass hands to pummel someone with, also you cannot image this guy not learning any fist related moves. It could use it for some gimmicky physical sweeping set.

Persistant
Vital Spirit

Persistant has me sold if we want this thing to be a supreme utility Pokemon. Vital Spirit causes this thing to be only touched by the burn status, no other status would work, which it's special based anyways so doesn't matter as much.

Persistent
Frisk

I like Frisk, and I like Persistent.
Both contribute to this Pokemon's utility options, and both can provide that utility in different areas.

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hoorah... time to throw in my vote finally!

Persistent
Poison Point

This pokemon's main lot in life is to be a team player. With Persistent as its ability, three new teams become instantly viable (in theory). Right now, Trick Room/Gravity/Tailwind are merely novelty, but with it not only do we solidify this Pokemon as an incredible team player, but we also make these strategies usable on the whole... It's killing two birds with one stone!

If you're not going to be using any of the above moves, then it seems a little pointless to be using Persistent. This ability helps to spread a little bit of status to those who attack it, which helps the team as a whole because of the Poison Damage. It's overall a good ability.

Forewarn
Unaware
Forewarn is very utility but not overpowering, it fits well flavor-wise as well (my spidey sense is tingling). I like unaware because it might actually make hazing as viable as phasing.

Persistant has me sold if we want this thing to be a supreme utility Pokemon. Vital Spirit causes this thing to be only touched by the burn status, no other status would work, which it's special based anyways so doesn't matter as much.
It can still be paralyzed, just not by electric moves.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Klutz
Unaware

Edit: HOLY SHIT Sunday changed his avatar! Guess it's time for me to change mine.

Unaware
Frisk

I like these two best because both are useful abilites to help out a team. Unaware can save a team from being slaughter by an unexpected setup and Frisk lets you figure out what an opponents pokemon intends to do.

Legacy Raider

sharpening his claws, slowly
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Persistant - Allows trick room, gravity and tailwind to be effective, not just novelty.

Unaware - Adds to the defensive utility feel by not being slaughtered by boosted moves.

Persistant - Allows trick room, gravity and tailwind to be effective, not just novelty.

Unaware - Adds to the defensive utility feel by not being slaughtered by boosted moves.

my totally original votes.

meh so instead of just countering lucario it can just slaughter it thanks to unaware, joy.It can also use a fast encore on stat ups and then not care about them at all.

Persistent
Poison Point

Persistent makes it even more of a utility pokemon, and as for poison point, well, it's covered in spikes? why wouldn't you give it poison point?

Persistent
Iron Fist

Basically for the same reasons as Gothic Togekiss.

Persistent helps him stand out as a support player and makes for more options and Iron Fist means he can pull a random physical set out of nowhere.

Frisk
Poison Point

Tell me frisk doesn't fit with all those hands!
As for poison point, it also fits perfectly because if someone happens to get in close to hit it, you have a small chance of stabbing yourself on those potentially poisonous spikes.

meh so instead of just countering lucario it can just slaughter it thanks to unaware, joy.It can also use a fast encore on stat ups and then not care about them at all.
Because obviously you're going to leave in something slower if you used a stat-up move on the switch and don't have a priority move, right? You wouldn't switch, hoping to get a freebie on his encore or anything. Or even assuming you didn't switch, hoping to out predict the encore, you wouldn't switch once the encore hit.

Besides, if you encore a stat up move, and you have haze as per the concept, unless you get greedy you won't be getting hit by a boosted hit anyway.

Persistent
Unaware

I would have picked Poison Point for my second vote, but I honestly thing that unlike Flame Body or Static, Poison Point would just be a hindrance, because as far as statuses go, regular poison is quite bad, and just makes things like Heracross much more dangerous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)