CAP 15 CAP 4 - Part 8 - Name Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Now comes the point where we stop calling CAP 4 "CAP 4" and start trying to call it something else. Likely totally unpronounceable, but there you are. Here we will develop names which will hopefully include some pretty awesome stuff. This process will end with my selecting a slate from the submissions. Keep in mind that this isn't total bedlam; just posting a name doesn't mean anything. You need to follow the rules as outlined below.

• Names must be marked as "Final Submission" to have a chance to be slated for polling.
  • One final submission per person.
  • The length limit for a Pokemon's name is 10 characters.
  • Do not post just to say that you like a name. Substantiate your post or it will be deleted and you warned.
The following rules are not 'rules' as per the CAP process, but rules insofar as anything breaking them will be automatically disqualified for slate. That means you should follow them if you want a chance to make slate.

• No name may contain profanity or be otherwise inappropriately suggestive.
  • No name may be too similar to the name of another Pokemon.
I reserve the right as TL to interpret those rules as I deem fit. This means that if I think your name is too close to something, it is, regardless of what anyone else thinks. If you think your name might break one of those rules, it is highly likely that it is.

Remember that as a flavor aspect of the CAP process, anyone, including the TL, may participate (but I'm not going to, so there)

------------

Below is CAP 4 so far:

Name: Risky Business
(formerly "Living On the Edge")

General Description: This Pokémon is very risky to play, but very rewarding if played correctly.

Justification: Many of the Pokémon that are successful in OU are relatively easy to play or have great "safe" options (e.g. U-turn). Yet, many other Pokémon look very powerful, but are less successful than they could be because of some large risks involved (e.g. Hydreigon), and some aren't successful at all (e.g. Honchkrow). This self-balancing concept intends to explore what it takes for a risky Pokémon to be successful, and how much inherent risk a Pokémon can get away with. It should be emphasized that this concept is NOT about luck management, but rather, it is about what the user can afford to do given his/her opponent's options, and vice versa.

Questions To Be Answered:

• What is the relationship between risk and potential consequences, both positive and negative?
  • What kinds of inherently risky tactics are successful in the OU metagame?
  • Do risky Pokémon need some form of safe options (e.g. switch-ins) to be successful in OU, or can it get away with having few really safe options?
  • How does Substitute, a well-known "safe" move with nearly universal distribution, impact how this Pokémon is built and played?
  • How do existing Pokémon use and deal with risky situations?
  • Can risky Pokémon be played well in the early game, or are they better off put into action later on?
  • How do different playstyles interact with risky situations?
Typing: Bug / Psychic
Abilities: Weak Armour / Illusion / No Guard
Base Stats: 110 HP / 120 Atk / 99 Def / 117 SpA / 60 SpD / 94 Spe

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Dibs on "Sephiroth".

Actually, pretty sure that's copyright protected, unfortunately. Shame really, because it would have fit so well given the whole Seraph + Moth thing. Oh well. There's always "Seraphoth" or "Sephirmoth", I guess. Someone else can have that if they want.

Well, anyway. I was originally going to make a point of only selecting the names with the most idiotic puns in them and the most obscure Latinate references, but to be honest I can't be bothered to specify stuff like that at this stage. Go out, make up some appropriate names, and dazzle us.

Seriously though, I will probably prefer Latin-inspired or otherwise incredibly pretentious names, or the ones with the least subtle puns in them. But in the end I guess I'll just slate the most popular ones. Although, it's always kind of hard to tell which are popular and which aren't…

Oh and if Seraphoth is chosen as the name then the prevo names will have to be Ophanoth and Cheruboth. They just have to be.
-----

BMB's obligatory Topic Leader footnote gimmick - My Top 15 Arthropods

#7 The Assassin Bug

Fascinating Fact said:
Yup, one of the only "true bugs" that I'm really fond of (and one of the few arthropods that actually are bugs as well), assassin bugs are notable in that they are one of the few members of the bug order that feed on animals rather than on plants. Their feeding mechanisms, I am sure you can predict by now: catch prey, stab with proboscis, inject digestive enzymes, wait for prey's insides to turn to soup, suck up soup through proboscis.

I'm sure that after seeing Mos's clever incorporation of the Acanthaspis assassin bug's trait of disguising itself in its victims' hollow corpses in his art submission, you're itching for more information. Well, there are plenty of other assassin bugs out there. Some bright, some dull. Some big, some small. The masked hunter, whose nymph disguises itself with dust. Some secrete resin that traps prey, like a sundew. Some can grip prey between barbed arms, like a praying mantis. Some have venom that has been likened to that of snakes. Some even go so far as to suck blood, and pass on Chagas' Disease – thought by some to have killed Charles Darwin.

Well, that's the popular science over and done with. Really they're just very cute little bugs with some quite amazing adaptations between them.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
The name I have in mind: Luminoth

Took a while to find a name that flowed smoothly, but here goes! Even if it's not based on the luna moth (what bug is it?), Luminous and Moth together sound nice, as well as fitting the holiness that is this this design.

Is it too close to Lumineon? :/

(No, bugmaniacbob, the -oth ending is similar, but unintentional.)

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
gdi bmb

Anyway I'll go with

Seraphinx

Seraph + Sphinx (a type of moth)

Final Submission btw

One that has come to mind to me after a little research is Lepidivine.

Its a mixture of Lepidoptera (the biological order of moths and butterflies) and Divine

Did a little research, figured out something that alludes to both the design and the concept.

Serausus (Sare-oss-us)

Seraph (duh) + "ausus", which is risk in Latin. Please tell me if this is similar to another name that I'm forgetting; any and all feedback is appreciated.

Nyktos

Custom Loser Title
Incidentally, the word sephiroth comes from Kabbalah and predates the FF7 character by a couple millennia, so if someone really wanted to submit that I don't think there would be actual copyright issues.

Incidentally, the word sephiroth comes from Kabbalah and predates the FF7 character by a couple millennia, so if someone really wanted to submit that I don't think there would be actual copyright issues.
I thought the word was Sephirot and not Sephiroth?

Anyway,

Sanctifly

pretty self explanatory imo, play on Sanctify and Fly (yes I know its a moth, but it flies, right)

I'll clearly go the Russian route with:

Koldoth (kahl-DOHth)

Колдун (Koldun) is like wizard/sorcerer + moth.

Plus, it sounds better than the other options here, no offense to anyone.

I can't think of a better name right now, but bugmaniacbob supposedly wants this kind of awful wordplay, so...

Raflyel

Spelling is subject to change because I really have no idea... ("Raphael" if you're confused...)

But then the whole point would be lost :(

Retriarch [Ret-ree-ark]

Comes from the Latin word retribuere meaning reward (in reference to the phrase "risk and reward") and Monarch as in the monarch butterfly. I think it sounds neat :)

Faumago

Faux (French for False) + Imago (The adult stage of butterflies)

More so, Imago is also latin for Image. Seems a bit like an Illusion, doesn't it?

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Glorifly

Obviously this combines
"Glory" + "fly"

I kinda like it because the word "glory" is commonly associated with angels and winning and also seems to connote golden colors, which are a big part of KoA's design.

Divinisect

I think the etymology is pretty obvious, but I always prefer the more simple option. I like the rhythm of the name as well, really slides off the tongue. I find that emphasizing CAP4's angelic properties in the name will give us some nice added flavour as well.

Angenues (Angenus+Ingenue)
Latin for angel and Ingenue an actor playing the part of an ingenue.

ehh probably doesnt work too well

Anjudios (Angenus+Ludio/Ludius)
ludio/ludius is latin for actor

idk guys

V4Victini

再起不能
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnus
Sinluzera Sin - Looz - era

A simple portmanteau.
Sin Luz (without light).
Era pays some homage to Heterocera and ties in the Moth aspect.

Probably doesn't roll of the tounge easy enough for some people. The thing kinda screams Moth but to me it also gives off a Dark-ish feel.

Seramysque
Seraphim + Mystique (French for mystic) + Risque (French for risk)

Mageloth
Magus (Latin for magic) + Angelus (Latin for angel) + moth

Not too sure about either of these; I will put some more thought into this soon.

Duck Chris

replay watcher
is a Forum Moderator
how about Serrafly?
Combines the seraphim idea, 2 r's for association with 'serrated' and fly for the bug part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)