CAP 4 CAP 4 - Part 3 (Secondary Typing Poll 2 )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
The number of illegal votes in the previous thread was phenominal. Votes that do not fit the very simplistic criteria will not be counted, make no mistake.

For your vote to count in this threat they must:
- Be bolded
- Be near the top of your post / not be buried in a wall of text.
- You have a single vote each. Use it wisely. Thread will close ~24 Hours from now.

Pure Utility Pokemon
Description: There is a serious lack of Gravity, Rapid Spin, Wish, non Dark weak Trick Room, OU viable Heal Bell / Aromatherapy, Encore, Memento, Non Dark weak Perish Song, Psycho Shift, Safeguard, Magic Coat, Me First, Snatch, Spikes, Toxic Spikes, Tailwind and Haze Pokemon in our lovely Metagame. I don't know what type, what stat distribution or even what kind of Pokemon would effectively use all those, but I want to build a utility Pokemon for the useful yet less used utility moves. If I had to narrow the field a bit, I would emphasize Tailwind, Gravity, non Dark weak Trick Room, Rapid Spin, Wish and Encore. The normal utility moves like Reflect and Light Screen go without saying.
Primary Typing: Posion

Options are:
Dragon
Electric
Dark
Steel
(Does not absorb Toxic Spikes)
No Secondary Typing
Ground

Example:
Sunday said:
No Secondary Type
<reasoning>

Thanks GT
Code:
[B]Poison/Electric[/B]
Neutral: Water, Ghost, Dark, Dragon, Normal, Fire, Rock, Ice
Resistances: Electric, Flying, Steel, Poison, Fighting, Grass, Bug
Immunities: None
Weakness: Ground(4x), Psychic

[B]Poison/Steel[/B]
Neutral: Psychic, Fighting, Water, Electric
Resistances: Flying, Grass(4x), Bug(4x), Ghost, Ice, Dragon, Dark, Normal, Rock
Immunities: Poison
Weakness: Ground(4x), Fire

[B]Poison/Ground[/B]
Neutral: Grass, Steel, Dragon, Dark, Normal, Flying, Ghost, Fire
Resistances: Fighting, Bug, Rock, Poison(4x)
Immunities: Electric
Weakness: Psychic, Ground, Water, Ice
[B]
Poison/Dragon[/B]
Neutral: Dark, Steel, Normal, Rock, Flying, Ghost
Resistances: Water, Fire, Grass(4x), Fighting, Electric, Bug, Poison
Weakness: Ice, Ground, Psychic, Dragon

[B]Poison/Dark[/B]
Neutral: Normal, Fire, Water, Ice, Bug, Fighting, Rock, Dragon, Steel, Flying, Electric
Resistance: Dark, Ghost, Grass, Poison
Immunities: Psychic
Weakness: Ground

No Secondary Type

Poison's already a great defensive type as it is, with two weaknesses. We only have one Poison-type that can actually be a pain in the ass (Weezing), and I'd like to see another defensive Poison-type. So yeah.

No Secondary Type - I was rooting for Bug type to remove the Ground Weakness and increase the fighting resistance. Most of these types want to add to that, so lets leave it as it is!

steel

It has the most resistances and easy to counter it's weakness since most people have a flying type in there team these days.

Dark
A Poison/Dark type would look cool and has sweet resitences and only a single weakness which can be removed if given levitate (possible Weezing evo) and not have Gravity.

Frosty

=_=
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Poison/Dark

The combination has only one x2 weakness, is resistant to dark and ghost
and hits the latter SE. I know that we already have two pokemons with that combination, but it works too damn well to not be used.

Vote changed to Poison/Ground, on page 7, post #153

Poison/Dark
Neutral: Normal, Fire, Water, Ice, Bug, Fighting, Rock, Dragon, Steel, Flying, Electric
Resistance: Dark, Ghost, Grass, Poison
Immunities: Psychic
Weakness: Ground

I highlighted some points of interest on this typing choice, as weaknesses/resistances are what most people are seemingly interested in. First off, this type combination is weak to a single type; Ground. All other combinations are weak to this (two are upgraded to 4x weak) in additon to some other types, with the exception of No Secondary. Earthquake is quite common in OU where this Utility Pokemon is getting made for, but most other sets seem to share this feature, so this seems pretty nice to start on.

This typing sees a problem, though. One of the main reasons Poison was chosen was that this poke could resist fighting typed moves, the other being so it could absorb Toxic Spikes. The combination of Posion/Dark loses this bonus of fighting resist, sadly.

The three other underlined types are worth noting because...

Dark: One of the main points of the Pure Utility pokemon was that it should be able to set up Trick Room, while not being weak to Dark, as most other TR's are. This typing goes a step further and RESISTS Dark Type moves, giving it safe passage from pursuiters, too.

Ghost+Psychic: While not directly related to the description of the Pure Utility Pokemon, this fits in with another concept closely related. The concept is a Anti Ghost Rapid Spinner. This type combination resists moves like Shadow Ball and is immune to moves such as Hypnosis, which is commonly run on Gengar and Mismagius. This makes a viable Rapid Spinner, who threatens Ghost type switch-ins with stab Dark moves, Ghost Resist, and Hypnosis Immunity.

I personally think the trade off of a Fighting resistance for immunity to Psychic and resistance of Dark+Ghost is worth it.

Off the topic of Weakness/Resistances...

Notable utility moves this pokemon gains from it's Dark Typing could include Taunt, Mean Look/Spider Web (Because we need another spider-like pokemon), Knock Off, Memento, Moon Light, Gravity, Perish Song, and Haze.

Of course, with this typing, I think Rapid Spin and Trick Room are also a must. Remember, this pokemon should have access to most typical Utility moves anyways, and it's Dark Typing opens up a whole mess off extra moves it can get.

That is all.

Poison/Dragon

Dragon has a lot of resistances, which will help the Pokémon survive longer, since it's supposed to be a support Pokémon.

TAY

You and I Know
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Dragon
This will give our poke a wide variety of resistances to work with, and enough common weaknesses to ensure he isn't overly difficult to take out (revenankh >_>). That is exactly what we want in a Utility pokemon--something which can switch in easily and use one or two support moves before being forced to switch.

immune to moves such as Hypnosis, which is commonly run on Gengar and Mismagius. This makes a viable Rapid Spinner, who threatens Ghost type switch-ins with stab Dark moves, Ghost Resist, and Hypnosis Immunity.
Actually Hypnosis do work dark-type Pokemon regardless of being a psychic type move.

Oh, well that shows my lack of experience with Dark Types.
This could still be geared so that it has Insomnia, so that it still has the benefits of being an Anti-Ghost Rapid Spinner. Even without the immunity to hypnosis, I think this typing allows it to sufficiently threaten ghosts.

Getting a little ahead of myself, I think the possible design of this Pokemon could be a Tunnel Web Spider. Rapid Spin makes is reasonable, or maybe a little too far out there, because of the Spider's Nature of spinning webs. Gravity makes sense because the spider "pulls" it's prey down. The concept of a utility pokemon setting up in general fits in with the Tunnel Web.

Plus they're pretty venomous, I believe?
I like the concept ;-;

Still going to go with Dragon here. As i've said before it's resistances, unique typing and ability to have such interesting concept art makes me lean more towards this secondary typing than any other.

Dragon

I feel that Poison/Dragon will give this pokemon the needed resistances to function properly, yet have surefire counters. For one, it has a huge list of resistances but two common and in my opinion crippling weaknesses, Ice and Ground, the former which is almost omnipresent on every team due to the common and threatening Dragons.

Ground

Why this pokemon should be Poison/Ground

1)Entry Hazards

OK this is a utility pokemon so there is a good chance of it getting rapid spin. Now one of the most important things for any rapid spinner is the ability to come in on entry hazards with little to no risk. As far as entry hazards go this typing offers the best resistance against entry hazards. Along with Steel/Poison it is the only one to boast a stealth rock resistance, but unlike Steel/Poison it actually retains the ability to absorb Toxic spikes.

2) Heracross/Lucario counter

This typing resists the 3 staple Heracross moves, Stone Edge, Close combat and Megahorn, as this thing is destined for bulky stats it will give teams an extra option to counter Heracross.

3) Not Heatran bait

Do we really need another pokemon that allows Heatran a free switch in, Dragon/Poison and Steel/Poison both allow Heatran to come in with ease. In a project that is trying to promote more variation do we need another reason to use Heatran.

4) Credible attacking move

If you look at all the OU utility pokemon and tanks there is one reason they remain OU-a credible attacking move. Hippodown's Earthquake, Gliscor's Earthquake and Bronzong's Gyro ball for example hurt some very common threats forcing switches so they can use their support moves and not create stall wars, they are not sitting ducks like Shuckle .

This thing is probably going to have bad attacking stats so will have to rely on super effective hits to do damage and prevent stall wars. Dragon/poison is awful not only is this gonna allow free switch ins in to every steel pokemon in the game, but the only thing its really hurting is Dragons; all which can hit you super effective.

5) Thunder wave immunity

6) Rock/Bug/Fighting resistance

Bandwagoning on Dragon. You didn't seem to require reasoning, but I'll give it anyway.
- "Mystic" aura for larger movepool
- Gives it a primary STAB to work with that isn't super terrible, which helps it work around Taunt and other situations it wants to attack instead of use utility
- Fire, Water and Electric resistances
- No 4x weaknesses (please guys, trust me, you don't want to be 4x weak to Ground)

I'd vote Dark because it's equally as interesting, but there's two Poison/Darks already, and I'd rather have variety above anything.

I don't mind Ground though, but I'm not voting for it.

eh I voted steel in the first poll, but now that I think about it, Dragon has swayed me.
-Good stab along with poison.
-Good support moves.
-Only one other supporting dragon and he's not used for it often (dragonite)
-Art will be interesting
-not weak to any hazards
-No 4x weakness.

The only problem I could see is we fall into the dragon rut and make it too powerful. A dragon without a 4x weakness is somthing we have yet to deal with. If we give it too usable offensive stats, then It could become broken. With support pokemon defenses and no 4x weakness, It will probably not be ohkoed. Sort of like a second garchomp except scewed toward defense rather than offense. Just my 2 cents.

No Secondary Typing

Works well enough on it's own. Poison/Dark and poison/ground seem good as well.

I'm still against poison/dragon, the weaknesses on that thing are absolutely crippling. Since this Poke isn't going to be focused on offense it's going to be taken out by dragons, dragon counters and the omnipresent Earthquake. I personally could deal with one huge weakness (Earthquake) and a few minor ones but that's just too much. How is it going to switch in easily with those common moves?

(changed my vote)

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I'm voting for No Secondary Typing.

I don't care what wins in the end, but I'm still rooting for having a pure Poison type.

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Poison / Ground

I'm flip flopping around aren't I? Well, maybe this will get drawn out to another poll with Dragon vs. Ground?

i agree with latinoheat. Dragon is a good attacking move if is backed by a high atk/spatk value so that can be threatening even against those who are neutral to hit. So i vote for Ground.

One of the main issues I see is a design for a Posion/Dragon. This has a lot of cool concepts with it (think Basilisk/Hydra/Etc), yet none of them seem to fit what we're doing. How do you visualise those creatures? I personally see offensive powerhouses, opposed to a pokemon geared specifically towards utility.

Another issue lies with the typing. How would such a pokemon be able to use Trick Room, Rapid Spin, Gravity, and the like? Also the screens seem sort of out there as well.

-Good support moves.
I think Dragon actually limits what this pokemon can do. I know a few learn some nice utility moves like TWave, Heal Bell, Haze, but these arent Dragon Specific. Ground, Electric, Dark, and Steel gain new moves from their secondary, while Dragon learns nothing (and the snake like design a lot of you are aiming for would probably not have screens, trickroom, or even healbell. The no secondary typing also doesn't gain anything.

-Only one other supporting dragon and he's not used for it often (dragonite)
Altaria?

-Art will be interesting
I'm sure the art will be interesting no matter what typing is chosen.

-not weak to any hazards
What? >__>;

-No 4x weakness.
4 of the 6 choices share this trait, so I don't see this as the main reson to pick this typing.

I don't see why Posion/Dark is less viable just because Skuntank and Drapion share the type. They have their own niches, and a pure utility is new for this type. Drapion has formidable attack with SD, so he doesn't fill the role of utility, despite having good options. If anything, he's a good indicator that this typing has great synergy with the utility role.

I do like the idea of a Poison/Ground, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)